Holy Bible

Hey Sup Forums, I am going to read the bible, I was raised Roman Catholic, what bible do I read?

Other urls found in this thread:

catholic.com/tract/bible-translations-guide
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douay–Rheims_Bible
duolingo.com/comment/7465436/Hebrew-Time-10-The-Hebrew-Nouns-Adjectives-Dual-and-Plural-Forms
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_Bible
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

NIV is what most Catholics use I think.

NASB or go home

if you are serious go for KJV, for a simple read pick whatever

catholic.com/tract/bible-translations-guide

>KJV
>Anything other than total shit.
It literally gets words wrong. Frequently. That's the single most fundamental goal of a translation.

Those digits are both very impressive....trips wins, NASB is first, I read pretty quickly so NIV will be next in line. Thanks anons.

>kjv
>not the only version that can be considered a preserved god's word
kek, shoo cathocuck

>Literally changes the Greek to shit things up.

Take, for instance, Mark 1:2.

>Καθὼς γέγραπται ἐν τῷ Ἡσαΐᾳ τῷ προφήτῃ Ἰδοὺ ἀποστέλλω τὸν ἄγγελόν μου πρὸ προσώπου σου, ὃς kατασkευάσει τὴν ὁδόν σου

I've never heard anyone ever consider Ἡσαΐᾳ to mean anything other than the proper name, Isaiah. Except, of course, the KJV gives it as "The Prophets". You'd think that a version that attempts to "preserve God's word" would, you know, fucking preserve it.

>It literally gets words wrong. Frequently.

That's one of the difficulties of translation: idioms don't literally translate often... a good example would be "a rock and a hard place" in English, translated literally in Spanish doesn't carry the same literary-punch, there is however an equivalent saying which translates to "between a sword and a wall".

The words there are literally different words, but the meaning is the same.

>NASB: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
>heavenS
>fucking up in literally first verse
plg so heretic

Read the part where the aliens descend from the mothership to exact fury and revenge against mankind.

This one is the only one.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douay–Rheims_Bible

>hat's one of the difficulties of translation: idioms don't literally translate often
I'm not talking about idioms. I'm talking about basic word meaning. The KJV guys have no fucking clue what they're talking about.

>The words there are literally different words, but the meaning is the same.
Except they often change the meaning too. Like in the aforementioned Isaiah/The Prophets one, or the "Hey, let's derp around with the same fucking word in Genesis 2:25 and 3:1, because really, the same word in adjacent verses has two completely different meanings, right?" That connection over the word עָרוּם, which the Hebrew is almost hitting you over the head with, is completely absent in the KJV.

בְּרֵאשִׁית, בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים, אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם

הַשָּׁמַיִם

It's pluralized in the Hebrew. Remind me again who is fucking up?

just find a good orthodox christian bible and youre all set.

This

KJV if you want to feel intelligent, which, if you're reading the bible, you're not gonna have a lot of.

NET (New English Translation) is by far the best. Extensive translator notes tell you all you could need about the words and the different ways to translate the phrases and why what is chosen is chosen.

that's not true, only a satanic cathocuck makes stuff like this up
there's only one heaven

>what bible do I read?
The one that isn't Roman Catholic, The King James version.

>good orthodox christian bible
I've been looking around and am still a bit confused. Some articles are telling me KJV and others say SOT. Do I have to learn Greek?

>that's not true, only a satanic cathocuck makes stuff like this up

duolingo.com/comment/7465436/Hebrew-Time-10-The-Hebrew-Nouns-Adjectives-Dual-and-Plural-Forms
You literally pluralize Hebrew (masculine) nouns by putting a יִם at the end. You literally add the article "the" by putting a הַ at the beginning. This is something you could learn within 10 minutes of basic Hebrew language, and the KJV guys, not surprisingly, couldn't manage that.

Sky is called heaven, space is called heaven, and heaven is called heaven. So heavens is indeed correct, talking about all these layers at once.

KJV, full stop. The only inspired Bible in English.

NET is way, way better in every way.

>i force my worldview on the bible
whatever, i'm not into debating ignorant tools atm

How can something be better than perfection?

Perfected perfection!

>>i force my worldview on the bible
Pot, meet kettle.

> Nobody said Latin Vulgate
All you heathens are going to Hell

Wrong, but it's not a bad choice.

OP, the New American Standard is what most Catholics read.

>The New American Standard Bible is considered by some sources as the most literally translated of major 20th-century English Bible translations. According to the NASB's preface, the translators had a "Fourfold Aim" in this work:

>These publications shall be true to the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek.
>They shall be grammatically correct.
>They shall be understandable.
>They shall give the Lord Jesus Christ His proper place, the place which the Word gives Him; therefore, no work will ever be personalized.

It doesn't matter, to a native English speaker the KJV has cadences and beauty which no other version can match, our language has grown around it. If you want accuracy learn Greek and Hebrew, this is a case where the translation is better than the original. English was good enough for Jesus Christ.

This version is wayyyy better

Without a doubt

I have just began reading for the first time. I'm making my way through Genesis. What's up with the whole circumcision thing? Is there some wiggle room since I am not Jewish?

King James

ESV a best

s'HWHY favorite meal.

That is the old covenant, wait until you get to the new testament and the new covenant is revealed to you.

I have that also. I'm reading several books at the moment, President Trump is a genius.

I'm Catholic, and I can respect the KJV guys because if you look into it you will find every English version has tampered with the word of the Lord in some way, even to the extent of changing gendered words. That's right, they cucked the BIBLE lads.

Bump

Circumcision was a way for the Hebrews to distinguish themselves as God's chosen people. It was a symbol of their covenant with God.

Much later in the story, a guy named Jesus will show up and fulfill the covenant that God made with Abraham, thus rendering the old traditions of the flesh obsolete. This is an important part of Acts, where Paul gets into an argument with the original apostles about circumcision. The original apostles still considered themselves to be Jews, but Paul had seen the light (literally) and was trying to convince everybody to stop cutting off their baby sons' foreskins.

Of course, if you're American, you've probably already had your foreskin cut off. Not a big deal, the dick works fine either way. Just think of it as a pact with the Lord and an attempt to be more like Jesus. That's how I cope with my Jew dick, anyway.

What is the new covenant? I'm not exactly worried about spoilers here.

Thanks, mayne.

>Mad at newer translations because they change the Word of God
>KJV alters the Word of God left, right, and center.
>But it's okay when a bunch of 16th century people do it.

Damn, I'll pop in there for a bit. Is this a happening?

Baptism is the new covenant.

Early church leaders debated as to whether circumcision AND baptism was required. They came to the conclusion that the new covenant established by Christ's sacrificed on the cross was enough and the old covenant (circumcision) was no longer needed.

It really doesn't, it changes just enough to satisfy the Church of England at the time.

Maybe you should read something else than retarded moloch worshipping semite grumblings.

If reading and interacting with Christianity the New International Version of the New Testament always served me best.

If reading and interacting with the Old Testament and history as Judaism - (((they))) wrote it after all - pick up a JPS version of the Tanakh (Tanach).

Decide if you like the "kike on a stick" idea or something else, like maybe the Jesus is not the Savior as presented by Christians.

Whichever road you choose be true to yourself

user you can just get YouVersion in your phone and have every translation ever written available to you, some are even in audio format. It’s got highlighting, note taking, bookmarking and translation comparison. What I’ve been doing for each book is reading the AMP first, then the NIV, then the KJV, so that I grasp both the content AND the poetry of the subject matter.

Ridiculous waste of time.

KJV is itself divinely inspired

the book of Mormon

>Contradiction in the Word of God is itself proof of divine inspiration.

At last I truly see.

God spoke to the English people through the KJV, you wogs can do what you want.

the KJV is the only version without errors or contradictions. all other versions are based on weird alexandrian cult manuscripts and riddled with small changes that mess up doctrine and contain contradictions.

It literally contradicts the first sentence of the Old Testament. Are you on crack?

>the KJV is the only version without errors or contradictions.
lmao

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_Bible

>NIV
I always read my Bible alongside the original Koine-Greek and the NIV is literally the worst translation I've come across.

I recommend KJV. It's not a perfect translation (there is none) but it's the closest you get to the original. If you have problems with the old language and really insist on using a newer Bible, use NKJV or ESV instead.

Check your Translator...

For Latent Jew brain-washing...

>read the Book of Revelation
>the world described herein is exactly where politicians are taking us
How do you explain this, unbelievers?

No, it "literally doesn't". All other versions screw up Christ's divinity, blood, etc.

KJV is the only non-heretical version I know of. It is the inspired English version.

>No, it "literally doesn't".
It quite literally does and was demonstrated in this thread. It gets words wrong. It fails at the fundamental purpose of a translation.

>KJV is the only non-heretical version I know of. It is the inspired English version.
So, let me get this straight. You think that when the KJV enormously diverges from the original Greek and Hebrew manuscripts, that isn't evidence of failing in the KJV, but is..... what exactly?

The unabridged version.

The KJV lines up perfectly with the Textus Receptus (the received text passed down through the ages by Christians). And I don't really care either, because in my opinion the KJV is the inspired English version, so it is perfect. No one has been able to demonstrate any heretical doctrine, contradiction or error in the KJV as such. Sure you can make comparisons to heretical Bible translations or refer to modern Alexandria cult manuscripts, but those versions are Satanic and contains tons of heresies and errors that weaken Christ's divinity, the trinity, Jesus' blood, etc.

>The KJV lines up perfectly with the Textus Receptus (the received text passed down through the ages by Christians)
It literally does not. Show me a single manuscript in the Textus Receptus that does not have Mark 1:2 as

>Καθὼς γέγραπται ἐν τῷ Ἡσαΐᾳ τῷ προφήτῃ Ἰδοὺ ἀποστέλλω τὸν ἄγγελόν μου πρὸ προσώπου σου, ὃς kατασkευάσει τὴν ὁδόν σου·

Which the KJV quite definitely does diverge from.

> No one has been able to demonstrate any heretical doctrine, contradiction or error in the KJV as such.
Let's see, mis-stating the connection between pre-fall Adam and Eve and the Serpent is a good start.

>And I don't really care either, because in my opinion the KJV is the inspired English version, so it is perfect.
Yes, why let facts get in the way of things? Do you like advertising your retardation and bias?

give up mate, you're clearly arguing with a retarded boomer

ok i'll bite.
what do you think is the best source manuscript for hebrew;
and what do you think is the best source manuscript for the greek;
and why do you think those are better than what the kjv used?