Good shot composition in manga

What manga has the best panels with the good shot composition?

I only know of Berserk.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump?

Self-bumping again.

Bumping for interest.

Berserk isn't exactly high tier.

Then what is?

Is this thing even over yet? I am so fucking tired of endless manga that span over decades just to end in a below mediocre way.

Dunno
Some are better than others, though, that's pretty clear

Not like western stuff needs to be ripped on, but there's a lot left to be desired, considering how heavily the roots are in tinyass newspaper comics

Araki certainly has his moments

There's also some loose definitions between good shots and good paneling

Both are something I like to talk about, though, so it's a pity this thread is so dead.

I have some pretty good old stuff, even if it shares Miura's mentality of 'kill whitespace KILL'

Most western authors have a pretty huge hardon for panel grids, which I think hurts them a good bit.

Not to say the opposite can't be taken too far, of course.

actually this is bad. it breaks the 180degree rule between panels 4 and 5.
I think you're right. panelling and shot choice are two totally separate things that always get lumped together.

I thought Naruto for example had excellent panelling but the composition made it very hard to tell what was going on without repeat readings.

I would say Koe no Katachi has pretty damn excellent composition. or anything by Urawsawa. Billy Bat had some amazing sections.

Murata's tendency to leave up a pretty bad version of a lot of pages seems like a pretty big breach of artistic integrity. Not that I know the guy enough to say that unequivocally.

>it breaks the 180degree rule between panels 4 and 5.
Sure, but when I picture the panel reversed it just makes panel 4 seem redundant, which hurts it more than it being harder to match it to Nausicaa in panel 5 instead of the bigass soldier.

and since I'm really that bored I tried it out. I think I'm right.

that's the thing though. you shouldn't have to picture it. Especially if we're talking about good composition. It should be laid out on the page or the movement should be implied. To me, the implied movement in between panels is what makes or breaks the action. billy bat for reference.

It's been over for quite a while now.

As to whether the ending was good or not, people seemed to be quite divided on that.

>considering how heavily the roots are in tinyass newspaper comics
Newspaper comics used to be gigantic in the early 1900s, go read Nancy and Little Nemo instead of that webcomic shit.

Most mangaka that have interest in the film industry or enjoy watching movies have good page layouts.

Little Nemo isn't terribly dynamic, but I know what you mean.
There's some stuff in there you don't see in manga very often.

Implied movement is good, but I'm not sure it works quite so well in action manga. If it isn't all explicitly laid out, you lose the vibe. Action-to-action instead of scenery-to-scenery, maybe. I dunno.
Assuming we're on the same track.

I keep thinking that this is relevant to comics but maybe I just like it
youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8

imma post some examples I like

This one might not be 'great', but the guy definitely knows what he's supposed to focus on.

If you want someone to talk about that on text chat hit me up. I'm doing a lot of study on shot composition. Skype: lycheebun and Discord: lycheebun#3583

Just start a room on the topic somewhere and I'll at least keep it open

I think it's harder in action manga for sure, that's what makes it all the nicer when it happens. What you think about Mizukami satoshi?

1/2

2/2

Start a room on Discord? Just for shot composition? Maybe it's just easier you add me and then we start a room.

Yukimura is pretty godtier in action composition too.

not a huge fan of the top panel page 1 and the bottom panels page 2, but the rest gets its point across rather nicely.

sent

1/2

All a matter of taste.

Kishimoto is amazing with camera angles which helps with his composition.

He's one of the few mangaka that focused on camera angles so his scenes are always fun to read despite the fact that he clearly didn't have too much time to make it perfect

Well that was a fun talk. See you on the other side, 'Westerndesignisshit'user.

Blame!

Yoshikazu uses the 3d models well in the clip studio.

I actually think the composition of those pages is bad, also the lower picture has confusing motion of action.

He probably has some composition guide showing this exact pov.

To each his own I guess.

Samura is god

pun de la pun

Bleach may be hated for its final arc(s), but you cannot criticize Kubo's skill at paneling.

It really is exceptional stylization.

Kubo's panel flow is average at best, tending toward subpar, and his compositions often feature massive amounts of random white space (and not the deliberately-structured kind). He's only above-average at designs and shot angles. Really nothing exceptional artwise overall.

>He's only above-average at designs and shot angles.

>What manga has the best panels with the good shot composition?

I actually hate that.

I was responding to , who specifically said "you cannot criticize Kubo's skill at paneling," which is just not true. In addition, if you'd actually read my whole post, you'd see that I also criticized his compositions - angles =/= the entirety of composition.

I was just about to post this manga. Good choice.

>I only know of Berserk.
Any good examples from Berserk?

Alright, so we have different opinions. Whatever.
I would never be so foolish as to say that he's infallible, nor would I say that he is anywhere near without fault.

Miura's paneling is good for a mangaka, but I really wouldn't call his overall composition incredibly notable, aside from a few heroic efforts that he doesn't bother with anymore.

>claim that "you cannot criticize his paneling"
>someone criticizes it
>Well, we just disagree, I guess. I'd never be so foolish as to say he's without fault.
Come on, you literally just did.

Pic unrelated, just posting stuff I like.

I like it when he mixes it up a bit.

>a few heroic efforts that he doesn't bother with anymore
What are you saying? Is there something wrong with modern Berserk?

every fucking thread

trolling or not, I mean, come on

Transition to digital kills another one.

Miura was too old to make that jump without picking up the worst habits.

> went from autistically drawing ton of shit by himself to reusing shots in the same chapter

I mean, Yoshikazu does the same thing, it's not a problem if it's used for a proper release rate, but we all can see that Berserk isn't in this case at all.

I don't know if it's good composition or not, but I really like this one.

1/2

this was actually during the monthly schedule during the anime release.

2/2

I can't think of any full digital mangaka better at it than Hamada

How the fuck did he dodge that sword when it was like a inch away from hitting him?

What is this?

Not just shots. Massive swathes of the recent chapters are duplicated figures. The parade of characters in the bottom right corner of the upper left panel are reused at least 4 times, almost each time in their entirety.

Miura reusing shit like the weasel he's become.

Its just a problem of having too many characters.
The party should be like 5 people, not 10 + random sailors.

look at the grass on the left, too.

That page is atrocious. Here, have some vertical panels that aren't vomit inducing.

Doing a few monthly chapters with not that much pages then going back to eternal hiatus isn't what I call "proper release rate". Yoshikazu doesn't take breaks for example, even if sometimes his chapters have less pages.

I remember about 5-7 volumes ago he was drawing huge scale battles by hand.

The grass, or the bushes? I almost refuse to comment on the bushes; it hurts too much. That shit ruined this page, too.

I'm not sure if Miura got really lazy or he simply understood that "holy shit, I was so fucking stupid to bother drawing everything on paper when I can just reuse assets digitally".

RIP Miura

>5-7 volumes ago
you mean 11 years ago

He's certainly compromising quality during the time he feels (or his boss feels) that there should be regular release. We don't know how much is in his control.
We do know, however, that he prefers to release long detailed chapters, when given the chance. The switch to digital was at odds with that, in the name of living half a century and still producing full chapters every month.