Your Name

>Highest grossing anime movie
>nominated for multiple oscars
>absolutely BTFO Overrated Away

Miyazaki on literal suicide watch

>romance beated deep plots about nature and humanity
how will he ever recover

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-18/top-20-highest-grossing-films-in-japan-has-6-anime-films/.110076
animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-03-14/love-live-the-idol-school-movie-ends-theatrical-run-with-2.86-billion-yen/.99770
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
vox.com/culture/2017/1/24/14369886/oscar-nominees-2017-snubs-surprises-winners-losers
fictionpress.com/s/3206139
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He's retired user, he doesn't have to recover.

>No Oscar nomination

When you're up against talking anthropomorphic, endearing animals Made by Disney. Culturally enriching story of adventure, growth and friendship Made by Disney and Seth Rogan as a Sausage, you have no hope.

Have you watched it? It's barely about romance until the last part. It's all about wanting to know a stranger that feels close to you and crossing time space barrier.

Am I the only one who didn't find the art that good?
I mean it's just a bit better than 5cm/s and the movie came out like 10 years ago

On November 13, 2016, Miyazaki revealed in a documentary that aired on Japanese TV that he is coming out of retirement as he is working on a feature film called Kemushi no Boro (Boro the Caterpillar), derived from a short film project that Miyazaki had intended for the Ghibli Museum, which he had been working on for 20 years.

Shinkai said the studio was rushed to get it out and underbudget, it's part of the reason he has mixed feelings about it's success, he feels like he can do way better

>not oscar nominated
>waah oscars are shit
>nominated by oscars
>o-oscars are not shit, t-they are actually good

Memeing aside, does anyone on Sup Forums legitimately think Kimi no Nawa was Oscar worthy?

It was a great soap drama but nothing more. Something like Spirited Away actually has cultural significance.

You pretty much summed up the main hyprocrisy behind Sup Forums as a whole.
But hey, this is a troll, let's not take it too seriously.

I'd say it was much more deserving of a nom than The Red Dragon was.

I'm not sure it deserves to win more than Zootopia does though.

>Oscar worthy
>cultural significance
does not compute

*cough*

>hfw this movie didn't even get nominated for an Oscar
>hfw adjusted for inflation, his movie still makes more money than this film

All smiles here bruh.

This is Sup Forums right now.

>muh inflation
Look at this tard.

Keep crying bitch nigga.

It's all memeing regarding the meme that shall not be named or else you get a banhammer for even mentioning it from the janitors or the mods.

Seems like failing Oscar nomination doesn't slow down the trend in Japan. Your Name is still at the top of Japan boxoffice even with decreased screening number. I think the publisher might aim to beat Frozen and Titanic records.

Am I going to be as disappointed after watching this as I was after I watched The Girl who Leapt Through Time?

'no'

the oscar animation category exists solely to dicksuck disney
It will probably surpass it regardless of inflation
maybe, they are a little similar

Did Koe no Katachi do that bad?

It won't even surpass Spirited Away in the Japanese box office, much less worldwide box office.

Keep crying bitch

Why would I cry about a movie that didn't even get an Oscar nomination, much less win an Oscar?

Meanwhile

>Shinkaifags on suicide watch because no Oscar Nomination
>To make it worse another romance beated deep plot about nature and humanity (La La Land) has been nominated for multiple Oscars.

It sold well in Japan but not really suited for global release. It's not Madoka, GuP, Love Live level of popular anyway considering it's a movie adaptation from a manga.

>It's not Madoka, GuP, Love Live level of popular anyway

It made more than those movies and is the best-selling anime movie released by KyoAni.

Don't lie.

I'll be the first to admit, I genuinely thought Kimi no Nawa 'could' have been nominated for an Oscar. It was visually beautiful and the fact that it was a romance and not a fanservice-laden crap on the street made it palatable for the electors.

Did I think it deserve to 'win?'

By all means no. There was a number of problems with the movie and even Shinkai thought it was not his best work.

It should have been nominated over Moana and Red Dragon, but didn't deserve to win.

____-__ didn't find a way.

But look back at the history of undeserving award given from Oscar. I think it has a good chance, if not for the strong competition and Disney bias.

30 seconds on Wikipedia.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-18/top-20-highest-grossing-films-in-japan-has-6-anime-films/.110076
Your Name- 2.3 billion.
animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-03-14/love-live-the-idol-school-movie-ends-theatrical-run-with-2.86-billion-yen/.99770
School Idol Movie- 2.86 billion

>Your Name - 23.5 billion
ftfy.

At least one Disney and Ghibli film would have made it to the list which leaves open the 3rd, 4th or possibly 5th space.

>Koe no Katachi Box office: ¥2.3 billion

It's within their ranks though.

Fun fact: Rocky won best picture in the same year that Taxi Driver and Network was nominated.

I hope you're not the same user as this cunt I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though cause otherwise you'd be goalpost moving.

So you concede that it's within their ranks or league then?

Fake picture

This has to be the most overrated thing ever. Shinkai literally just copypasted 5CMPS and added a little Kokoro Connect skeet to it. Fuck anyone who says it's a masterpiece.

Better than FMAB. Go fuck yourself.

ITT:

I'm no furfag, but despite how simple it was Zootopia was still better written than this shit.

Your name made 20.5 billion. Koe no Katachi is out of it league.

But it's within the league of Madoka, GuP, Love Live.

See:

>It's not Madoka, GuP, Love Live level of popular anyway

Don't move goalposts now.

>even Shinkai thought it was not his best work.

He's still prepping us for his true masterpiece.

youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g

The thing about Miyazaki is that he's an influential director for all sorts of people in the industry, and even the (((industry))). His movies are actually brilliantly crafted, brilliantly thought out, brilliantly written. They outclass a ton of Hollywood trash from 2010 to now.

Shitkai, however, is only praised by greasy otaku.

BD when

>and Titanic
HAHAHA no. Are you under the impression it will beat Avatar and TFA too? Get real faggot.

Anyone can see that but you must be literally blind to still think Koe no Katachi made anywhere near School Idol Movie let alone the rest.

Yeah. I think it could replace Kubo if we put its technical achievement aside. But no point in discuss that since what happened is happened.
What I concern the most now is:
>the fan cancer behavior outside and inside Sup Forums would cause a strong bias towards the movie which is still waiting to be released in NA
>Shinkai still has no idea and struggle to come up with the next movie, while the deadline for proposal is near.

It has becomes overrated at some point but I still admire his ability in combining those elements and making it works. It's might be the one of the hardest thing to do as a creator, especially with all these sold out elements.

I meant for Japan boxoffice record, sorry user.

>because no Oscar Nomination
It only released in English in American movie theaters didn't it? There wasn't a bilingual release in movie theaters nationwide? If this is the case that's not surprising, since Ghibli dubs include A-List actors, whereas Your Name's dub has the usual Aniplex slew.

What the fuck? Sausage Party got nominated?

Wow that's totally original and not from Tumblr.

Suck my gonads, twat.

Can't be helped since no one expected it to be this big. If Disney knew this, I bet they would bought and hyped it even more than we saw.

>you must be literally blind

Koe no Katachi: ¥2.3 billion
Love Live: ¥2.86 billion

Are you literally blind?

It only showed at anime expos and for a single week in LA to qualify for the oscars
funimation fucked up

And here's one of the salty phoneposters now!

Kimi no na wa is predicted now to surpass Forzen and Titanic tho? its more than 4 months now but its still making money and still on the top of Japan boxoffice.

I don't see that extra 0.5 bringing Koe no Katachi to 2.8 billion.

It's been four months and still hasn't surpassed Titanic and Frozen in the Japanese box office.

Cry more.

>both made more than ¥2 billion
>n-not anywhere near it cause muh ¥0.5 billion

Your goalpost moving has been noted.

still going to surpass them in the future.

Cry more blood.

Stephanie Sheh and Michael Sinterniklaas certainly didn't give Oscar-worthy performances, that's for certain. I don't know why people here are so shocked Jewlywood didn't even bat an eye at it. It was already getting intense amounts of hype in Japan before it was even up for market in USA.

SASUGA SHINKAI-SAMA!

That's what people said 4 months ago.

Also, it will never surpass Spirited Away. Lowered expectations much?

>funimation fucked up
Oh well that's a surprise. They went as far as to get all LA-based VAs and directors for it, but even then they couldn't make it quality enough to even get a nomination.

>67 replies to a thread that says Kimi no na wa got nominated
>As expected is more oscars shitpost

I fucking hate this place

SURE FEELS GOOD TO GET AN OSCAR NOMINATION

Do you even know how women work? Especially Japanese women? It ain't going anywhere near Titantic, buddy.

Except it wasn't nominated for multiple Oscars at all.

>#1 in the Japanese box office for 14 weeks, 13 weekends
>Has surpassed Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle as #2 Anime Film of All Time in Japan
>Earns 20 billion yen and counting to surpass Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in Japan
>Reached 10 billion yen 9 days faster than Frozen
>Wins LA Film Critics Award
>Has become the no. 1 highest-grossing Japanese movie in China
>Has become the no. 1 movie in Thailand
>The film immediately topped Korea's box office opening on 555 screens all around the country which is a new record for the Japanese film.
>Also dominated China breaking the all-time records for the most advance tickets sold and the fastest film to reach 100 million yuan ($ 14 million or 1.7 billion yen), with the first 100 yuan earned in just the film's opening day.
>The film also dominated the charts of Hong Kong and Taiwan becoming the number 2 and top highest grossing Japanese film on the respective countries
>Inexplicably jumps 41% in the Japanese box office and climbs from 7th place to 3rd place in one week
>Still in the top 10 in the Japanese box office towards the beginning of 2017
>Now grossed US$331 million.
>Surpasses the box office gross of Spirited Away (US$289.1 million), making it the highest grossing anime film of all time.
>Is approved by Shinzo Abe and used by Cool Japan to spur tourism in Japan.

We used up meme magic, bros. It's a finite resource.

this tbqh familia

nah i'm just saying its going to surpass both and you know that. Kimi no na wa basically making 250 to 150+ million per week that's mean Kimi just need 2 or 3 months to surpass them.

It doesn't even open in America until april but has been in the UK, AUS/NZ etc since november

That's the projected outcome tho.
Originally it was expected to surpass both Titanic and Frozen at the end of it screening period. But I don't know how it has become something like it will surpass them soon.

>Still didn't beat Titantic
>Still didn't beat Frozen
>Still didn't get nom'd for Oscars
Just admit it's mediocre shit that doesn't touch pretty much everything Ghibli's ever done.

vox.com/culture/2017/1/24/14369886/oscar-nominees-2017-snubs-surprises-winners-losers

>At the same time, Dory was fine, sure, but was it better than the competition? In a brutally competitive year in this category, one in which fellow snubbed films like Your Name and April and the Extraordinary World could well have been nominated, it was just too much. Pixar will have to be content with its Animated Short nomination for Piper.

100% it will surpass the titanic, it was number 1 this weekend again

see It's never going to surpass Titanic, Frozen, or Spirited Away in Japan.

It can't even get a simple Oscar nomination.

For fucking what? KC was the same exact thing with a way more likeable main girl and boy, except the tears and the wind blowing in their hair wasn't as pretty.

see You're all out of meme magic. You sound like Democrats with all your whining.

Would've. Could've. Should've. But in the end, didn't.

>snub

It wasn't even in the Oscar's radar. You can't snub something that you don't even know exists.

>that doesn't touch pretty much everything Ghibli's ever done.

It already surpassed the grosses of pretty much everything Ghibli's ever done though.

>Democrats
>Using democrats as a insult

Aside from the fact you could figure this out with a simple 3 second google search. No, it didnt. He is just shitposting like anyone who says Zootopia or Kubo isnt better than Shinkaishit. Even Shinkai would probably agree.

Satan tells us the uncomfortable truth yet again.

Based Shinkai

KC is not even close to Kimi no na wa tho.

We tried so hard and got so far. But in the end...

>According to Rules 2 and 3 of the official Academy Awards Rules, a film must open in the previous calendar year, from midnight at the start of January 1 to midnight at the end of December 31, in Los Angeles County, California and play for seven consecutive days, to qualify (except for the Best Foreign Language Film).

Did You're Name screen in Los Angeles County for 7 days straight last year?

Stop posting that because it's already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139

yes but it was only the bare minimum to qualify

>romance beated deep plots about nature and humanity
>romance beated
>beated

Funi got greedy and has no backup plan in case Your Name didn't get the nomination.

How can a film that was snubbed by the Academy Awards possibly make more money (plus inflation) than the film that's Academy-Award-winning?

why do people even think it will have a chance at oscars? because of the big numbers? that's like saying marvel movies should also get nominated.