Baki Dou 142 translation

you can't make me have fun
only Kaku can make me have fun

starting notes:
1. I vaguely mistranslated the 'rope' line of last chapter; the line recurs in this chapter, so just mark it and replace the text of the last instance with this one
2. Still no fucking release date on the anime, despite an editor even mentioning its existence on one of the pages

>Chapter 142: The Sword is Drawn

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushido
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Heebeejeebees: Get in the rope.

>H: The strongest swordsman in history,
>H: Miyamoto Musashi.
>H: We're not taking you lightly.
>H: After having recognized your true strength, I am giving you a warning.

>H: Just surrender.
>H: I advise that you follow me.

>H: Hm...
>H: This government office that I have...
>H: I've been a habitual detective for a long time.
>H: I've never done things this way (with a revolver) before.

The 'this' in 'this way' is written as 'revolver'.

>H: Nevertheless, like this, I can hit you.
>H: Hahaha....
>H: Put your swords on the ground.
>M: I never heard your name.

>Cop Leader: The suspect in question has taken on the name "Miyamoto Musashi".
>Note: Denotes the suspect. Police jargon.
The note refers to the weird bubbled character.

>CL: Our distance from the suspect is about 30 meters.
>CL: For the sake of getting extremely close to him, we are to lower our voices.
>CL: So that you have to strain your ears to hear.

>CL: With Assistant Inspector Ootsuka currently in communication with the suspect,
>CL: As soon as we get a signal -
>BANG

>CL: Move up!

>CL: This is...
>M: It's Ootsuka's pistol.

>CL: You son of a...
>M: It was but an ordinary match.
>M: Ootsuka drew before me, but...
>M: I should like to overlook that.

>M: It was a fine match.

>CL: You...
>CL: YOU MOTHERFUCKERRRRR!!!
>M: He had challenged me, so I cut him.

>M: Nothing more, nothing less.

>M: Now, then...
>M: I do not intend to surrender.
>M: Nor do I intend to come with you.
>M: That's how I feel. So - what will you do now?

We're on Dou for Character of the Week, now. Sam Atlas.

End chapter. Thoughts, threats, concerns, criticisms?

I have absolutely no qualms about bumping this.

They tranqed Yujiro at some point iirc, so it can't be that hard against Musashi right?

Yes the story has been built up so that Musashi loses to the police

That was in Grappler, when the bodies of the characters were not nearly as tough. In the third series, Pickle gets shot in the abdomen by a pistol at point blank range and it barely breaks the skin. Assuming Yuujiro, Baki and Musashi are stronger than third series Pickle, chances are that they *can't* be tranquilized, as there's no tranq gun that could break the skin.

Thanks for translating this stuff.

baki is going to use a sword vs musashi, it will be a tie of course

Bump.

Thanks OP. Reckon Musashi will die at the end of this arc? He obviously can't fit in with modern society, but I can't see Baki killing him in their inevitable rematch. Will Musashi commit sudoku after his second loss?

You commit sudoku so as to not be a burden on your lord as a hostage, I don't think this situation would arise in this setting.

I thought it was an honour thing so as to redeem your family's name after a major fuckup as well, wasn't it?

Seppuku originally existed solely for the samurai and, slightly later, for the daimyo. The concept was later (late 19th century onwards) romanticized into the stereotype that it is today; largely having been molded into said form by idiots like Mishima and random WWII Imperial Japanese soldiers.

The only real fuck-ups for which seppuku was used was shit like a samurai getting plastered and killing a fruit vendor, or getting a bunch of people killed by running away on the battlefield. And those cases were never voluntary: the option of seppuku was given as a more honorable way to die than the impending standard execution for their actions. For the sake of not punishing their families more than necessary, they'd seppuku; it was never a "redeeming" action.

Not that it's impossible, but you're stepping out of pace with all of Japanese pop culture to minimalize seppuku that much. Like ninja there's not a wealth of tangible evidence but the enduring cultural memes of seppuku suggests a basis in historic fact.

Golgo 13 gets paid to kill Yujiro. What happens?

They fuck.

>you're stepping out of pace with all of Japanese pop culture
Of course I am. It is romanticization that caused the Japanese pop culture to be that way. Pop culture does not suggest reality - anywhere in the world. According to Western pop culture, "irregardless" is a word. According to Japanese pop culture, Buddha was a fat man. And beyond all that, Musashi is from the 1600s, not today's world.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushido
>Under the bushidō ideal, if a samurai failed to uphold his honor he could only regain it by performing seppuku (ritual suicide).
>In an excerpt from his book Samurai: The World of the Warrior,[27] historian Stephen Turnbull describes the role of seppuku in feudal Japan:
>In the world of the warrior, seppuku was a deed of bravery that was admirable in a samurai who knew he was defeated, disgraced, or mortally wounded. It meant that he could end his days with his transgressions wiped away and with his reputation not merely intact but actually enhanced.
>Recent scholarship ... has focused on differences between the samurai class and the bushidō theories that developed in modern Japan. Bushidō in the prewar period was often emperor-centered and placed much greater value on the virtues of loyalty and self-sacrifice than did many Tokugawa-era interpretations.[12]
>Bushidō was used as a propaganda tool by the government and military, who doctored it to suit their needs.[13] Scholars of Japanese history agree that the bushidō that spread throughout modern Japan was not simply a continuation of earlier traditions.

>According to JApanese pop culture, Buddha was a fat man

布袋 is not 佛陀, and it's errors like this which are responsible for the very blurring of iconography you're pointing out, for example also the feminization of Guanyin.

>Pop culture does not suggest reality - anywhere in the world.

This is a patently ridiculous claim, or at best you're willfully misinterpreting the word 'suggest'. The American old west was not as depicted in cowboy movies but suggests events and cultural norms that in fact did take place.

>布袋 is not 佛陀
that was my point you retarded nigger

>The American old west was not as depicted in cowboy movies but suggests events and cultural norms that in fact did take place.
The Blaire Witch incident was not as depicted in The Blaire Witch Project film but suggests events that in fact did take place

Disappointing. Hope English isn't your native language.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

Should Musashi's arc not have ended after this fight?

He wasn't serious, all this time he was just fucking around.
The arc can end after he kills 2 more prominent characters.

I can't imagine who else he would get to kill from the regular cast. The only fight I can see happening now is Musashi vs Baki. And I bet Itagaki will pull a similar resolution to Pickle, where Musashi goes away but can be brought back if he feels like it.

holy shit