Scanlation Thread

Move the work along, as the old saying goes.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/c1uojhuc7er7e/Hinamatsuri
mangafox.me/manga/le_gardenie/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Gardenie
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Manga_Award
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>go to batoto
>check a manga
>want to read earlier chapter
>had to register a new account
>a day later
>suddenly can't view the latest chapters
>logged out
>finally able to read it

wtf is wrong with batoto?

I don't know. It's currently working fine for me.

Try clearing your cookies maybe?

I stopped using it since registration became mandatory

Regarding this image that someone asked about, does anyone have the rest of the translation? And what was it the translator was, "unsure" about?

Yeah, sorry, forgot to post it.

This is what he has on that page.

>I am the hero of justice who came to invade the surface for the sake of the sea!
>Sorry for being like a villain! (context actually unclear to me in this)
>I'll make the humans that think that way understand! (likewise to this slightly)
>Next day
>Good morning
>What's with that appearence?
>He he he

No.

Maybe expression "villain" here means like anti-hero or as in, "your villain" (I think I'm doing what's right, but that means I am against you), as in the sense of antagonist.

Also, what was the previous page?

I don't know moon myself, I'll ask him about it when I see him, it might be that.

xなんてごめん isn't 'gomen' in the sense of 'sorry', but comes from it's meaning of 'to excuse from' - it's saying 'I don't want x (bad thing)' or 'Spare me x'. So she's saying that since she sees herself as a 'hero of justice' she doesn't want, and won't let them, act as if she's the bad guy. Hence the next line, that she's going to make them understand who's the boss, essentially.

Do you want the raw?

I see, makes sense now. Thanks a ton.

Ok, now it makes complete sense. What she's getting at is basically, "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. But I'm going to prove to those who think I'm the former that I'm really the latter." Reminds me of Sea Shepherd.

doesn't work, still returning "The thing you're looking for is unavailable." when I already logged in, I can access it when I logged out, but I can't read earlier chapter that way.
fuck this batotoshit, I'll just wait until someone uploads the chapters to Godoka.

yeah, my first time using it since I discovered Godoka 2 years ago, disappointed with how it becomes so shitty

>interestink
Is this a typo or maybe some kind of a squid pun?

Is there some reason why no one ever calls Madokami by its real name?
Considering that it's bolded slightly, I'd say pun. Get it, squid ink?

Squid puns. She says "de geso" to end her sentences in Japanese.

because muh secret club

Considering that they don't allow anonymous FTP uploads anymore, I don't really think that reasoning holds much water. Security through obscurity never lasts.

>Sorry for being like a villain!
"I'm definitely not the villain here!"
"I'll make the humans understand just how in the wrong they are!"

Anyone getting the digital releases of Dengeki Daioh?

Thanks, I'll use that.

Daioh has nothing worth getting it for.

Trying to clean this side text is becoming a huge pain because there's not enough space to clone the pattern. Should I just typeset the translation under it?

you should typeset first then clean and redraw, make the text and strokes larger

Is that from Harta December 2016? I'm about to scan that if you want better raws.

It's from a RAR someone posted in the last thread. Hinamatsuri. If you can give me better raws, that would be appreciated, since these ones are kinda grainy and compressed. TIFFs would be preferred, onegai.

I haven't scanned it yet, but I'll upload it here. Check later tonight or tomorrow. I might also scan the other recent chapters over the weekend if you're up for replacing the pub raw scanlations.

mediafire.com/folder/c1uojhuc7er7e/Hinamatsuri

When I have this I just select a part of the pattern, create a new photoshop pattern out of it, draw over the text with a normal brush, and then apply the pattern I just created to it.

I tried that too. The problem is the text is so large relative to the pattern area, and the pattern is so irregular, that doing so inevitably creates a visually unacceptable banding effect.

One thing you can do is since the text splits the background pattern in two, it doesn't really matter if the pattern on the left matches the pattern on the right.

You can just typeset it first, redraw what's to the right of the text with a sample from the right, and the same for the left.

>redraw
Um, in case I haven't mentioned this, I have absolutely no artistic capacity in that arena whatsoever. When I doodled as a small child, they were usually *diagrams*, like road maps. If someone else thinks they can do it, that'd be great, but I congenitally cannot draw.

Most of redrawers I know say they can't draw for shit, don't let this discourage you.

You'd be surprised, you don't need much drawing or artistic skill to redraw. Well, for most cases, anyway.

The only thing you need is patience. Drawing skill doesn't matter at all.

I can't draw for shit either but I get by as a redrawer. If you can cover enough of a thing up with text you're normally golden.

One thing I've noticed while comparing chink/gook scans to raws/English scans is that when they either can't redraw or can't be bothered, they stick a fake box around text that's boxless in the original. You can't possibly imagine my face when I realised I was being bamboozled by these awful people.

English scanlators do that too.
It's been suggested in these threads before, particularly to the Baki scanlator that comes around recruiting.

It's not a skill thing. I just, for whatever reason, cannot draw. I don't know if it's an ASD thing or if it's a side effect of my poor fine motor control, but I cannot mentally form an image and put it down on a page with a series of strokes. Not even a bad image, none at all. I have most of my childhood doodles, and they're all either diagrammatic, or polygonal. I can't even copy an image looking at it, I have to physically trace it.

>cover with text
Do most groups work like this? I only volunteer sometimes and they've always made me redraw from scratch, they never typesetted it first.

And I feel dirty about making the stroke slightly larger.

>Good quality raws of the whole thing, start to finish, are out
>No one will ever bother

;_;

Unless you're both the typesetter and the redrawer, you're pretty much fucked.

Either someone does the cleaning for me, or I do all the editing. I wouldn't work any other way.

I've had the same experience with groups that you have, but it would definitely seem smarter to typeset first and redraw later.
That's certainly what I do when I solo.

read some guides or start watching YT tutorial videos about redrawing manga, don't think of it as drawing, but more like fixing and connecting some lines/patterns

Is Mai Ball dropped?

Sounds like you're mentally retarded.
That would explain the trip too.

It feels like a tank is coming out after a couple more chapters, so I'll scan that. First chapter is translated. Hopefully the print quality is decent, Harta's gotten cheap lately. Paper wrinkles easily.

No, it's a thing apparently called, "constructional apraxia" when it's caused by brain damage. I can't write very well either. Never really affected me outside of art class, but I think like 4 or 5 OTs tried to fix it with no success.

It's how I've always worked. But I'm normally stuck doing both anyway. I've only worked with a couple of dedicated redrawers and one of them would tell me which ones he needed typeset before he'd redraw them, and the other I just gave typeset stuff to anyway. But I can imagine working with groups that don't do that, maybe try asking if they can typeset some of them first.

You don't have to be good at drawing to be able to redraw. For most redrawing, you can either use the clone tool, or just extend already existing lines and color between them.
For this image which I'm working on now, I used the pen tool to connect the gray curves in the hair, then covered the text with black in a layer underneath the gray lines.

For something like , you probably want to cover the text with the background color, then make circles of the appropriate color on top of the existing circles that are partially covered by the text. If a couple places come out shitty, you can position the text so that those are covered, but try to make the whole thing look good.

If I had a tablet I MIGHT be able to mechanically connect the lines, but I don't have nearly enough dexterity with a mouse to do what you just did.

pen tool though. You don't need manual dexterity to draw smooth curves with the pen tool.

Oh, you mean a bezier curve. I guess that could work.

With the pen tool, you just need to be able to place the end points correctly, then drag around the tangents. Photoshop lets you zoom in very far, so you should be able to drag something to the correct pixel.

Yes, but as the OP image might indicate, I'm using a different program. I'm very familiar with CS though, so I understand what it is and where to find it in Krita.

No, of course not, I'm waiting for the next chapter as eagerly as anyone so much that pic related is how I spend my sad, lonely, drunken nights. It just didn't have a chapter for a couple of issues, with the latest in the new issue of Young Animal which came out in print last Friday, and will be out on ebook next Friday (though ebook raws might be delayed like they were last issue)

No but you do need to have an understanding of beziers.

>stroke
Use shape, it's more organic and blends with the mangaka's pen work much better

I understand beziers very well, since I come from a CAD background.

bump

>namefags

dumb frog poster

Anyone interested to help me with this scanlation of Malaysian Manga?
I have all the books.

Contact me: [email protected]

mangafox.me/manga/le_gardenie/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Gardenie

Not manga. Ask in or

The mods say chinkshit and gookshit belongs in Sup Forums so why not malaysian?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Manga_Award

a) Since when?
b) Malaysia is SE Asia, not E Asia.
The Japanese use "manga" in a much broader way than we do. In Japanese, Steven Universe is anime.

Since look it up on the archives I'm not going to spoonfeed you. Drop the trip it's going in the filter.

I don't care if anyone wants to listen to me or not. If you don't see something I've completed because you have me filtered, it's your loss.

When doing cleaning, should I remove vertical strings of dots? Or leave them as-is?

Is there a better place to discuss scanlation? I'd like to address a couple things, but I also don't want to use a thread that's 50% by a retarded tripfag.

You could make your own thread if you really want to, but here is probably fine. Just ignore tripfags if you don't like them

There are other people here lurking, don't let the twat put you off if you want to discuss something.

Unfortunately he won't let the thread die either, just keeps bumping with retarded questions. Filter, report.

Remove everything caused by shitty printing or bad scanning.

No, it's not from that. I think they're like Japanese ellipses. Their meaning should be obvious to an English speaker, but I guess they probably should be removed for consistency.

So is that gyaru cooking thing twice a month or just once?

Fine I guess, the thread is still pretty bad considering it's like 50% by the same person.

Anyway. What I wanted to discuss was scanning, DPI vs physical page size vs resolution.

Scanning a normal doujin page in standard 300 DPI will result in an image that's actually a good deal larger the page of the physical doujin itself.

So, wouldn't scanning in 300 DPI more or less the same as up scaling an image?

But then, say you have a 4k monitor, the page would look smaller than if you have a normal 1080 monitor.
So I really don't know. I feel like there is something I'm missing here.

Ask the translator. They'll know better than you what to do with elements that might be semiotically important. Keeping an ellipsis/changing it to fit the text direction might be important for maintaining the 'flow' of panels, but mode features might make keeping it unnecessary, so whether to erase or not is a case-by-case thing.

It sounds like you just don't understand what DPI is. Scanning in a high DPI is not upscaling unless you're doing something stupid like 3000DPI, which usually is when the scanner uses software to upscale it.

I'm pretty sure if there's a physical page in the scanner, it won't make up information, it will display the information it directly gets from the actual page, so it wouldn't be upscaling, it would just be adding more detail to the scanned page.

Nothing concrete has been said and it's a bit early to infer from releases, but it might have the same 'about 1.5 chapters a month' schedule as Mai Ball - there's no new chapter in the 27th Jan (print) Young Animal, but chapter 3 is scheduled for the 10th Feb issue.

So what you're saying is we'll have to wait until the 17th of Feb for another chapter. Despair.png

What DPI is, is fairly simple.
But if it's not up scaling, how is the image you see on your monitor larger than the page itself?

Normal doujin are printed on A4 size paper. Which is 8.3 × 11.7 inch.
Now, if you scan a doujin in 300 DPI the page width is ~2100px with a height of ~3000px.

My monitor is around 25 inches wide with a pixel width of 1920. Which means that zoomed into 100% of the page it will be displayed as 25 inches wide even though the physical page itself is only 8.3 inches wide.

Obviously not everyone has the same size monitor, but I really doubt anyone has an 8.3 inch monitor.

I see what you're getting at, but your confusion stems from the fact that you're viewing the image on a large monitor. Your image viewer scales the image to match your monitor. If you actually viewed an image at 100% and it fits your screen, you have an image with low resolution/DPI.

Just scan at 600DPI and let the editor worry about it.

>If you actually viewed an image at 100% and it fits your screen, you have an image with low resolution/DPI.
I'm really not sure what you're trying to say here.

Are you saying it's my image viewer that up scales the image and not the scanner?

Also, I'm usually the editor and translator of things I scan.

All image viewers upscale/downscale depending on the image resolution and your monitor resolution. Check your settings for filters such as bicubic, etc.

Which is why upscaling a 1200-px page to 1600 or something won't improve the quality, because the data isn't there. If you start with a high-resolution scan, you can downscale without a noticeable loss of detail depending on paper quality, the scanner, the scaling method, etc. Screentone might get messed up though, so keep an eye on that.

Just scan something in 100dpi and see how that turns out.

Okay, sorry, but you're not being very clear here.
It's obvious that down scaling an image will not effect its quality.

The question is how does an image get larger than its physical counterpart after scanning? That's what makes no sense.

Shouldn't the data be limited to what the physical size of the page is?
Isn't the page technically stretched when it's fit to a 25 inch monitor?

If you scan it at 100 dpi and then view it on a 100 dpi monitor, it should be the same size.

Because an image on a computer doesn't really have a physical size. It has a pixel dimension, but that's just an array of numbers. How much space each pixel takes up in a given rendering, whether on screen or in print, depends on the resolution of the device. Changing the zoom level is actually just changing the output resolution.

Alright dude, you're having problem understanding some basic stuff here. It doesn't get larger or smaller because it's just a digitization of a physical object.

The digital copy has no measurements in physical terms. Scanning just lets you see more detail than what your eyes can normally see on it. It's no different from holding the physical object really close to your eyes.

Hey Sup Forums, I'm leaving this lady here overnight. Y'all be real nice to her, alright?

She's lookin for a translator and typesetter.

Are you sure that's a her? That chests looks like a boy's.

There's an aspect ratio between image size and DPI. The simplest way I can think to describe it is that the scanner "looks closer" with more scanner diodes when you tell it to use a higher DPI, and gets an image with more detail.

Image scaling is tied to the resolution, not the physical size. That's an entire subject of its own that you'll have to read into, but it's a common question with movies (playing a 1080 movie in a 1440p monitor, for example).

Oh, okay. Now it makes sense. The idea that a monitor also had predetermined DPI settings didn't dawn on me. So that's what determines the size rather than the actual pixels.

Nah, I get it now. Thanks.

Delete your life.