Why are delinquent manga rarely animated ?

Why are delinquent manga rarely animated ?

Manga are rarely animated in general.
But to answer your question:
Anime is made for specific purposes. Not all Japanese are anime watchers. But (almost) all Japanese read manga. That means not every genre has an audience that can be targeted with anime.

Because Japan has shit taste.

Still made about ack of RokuBlues anime, would have been a killer the likes of Hokuto no Ken/Saint Seiya/Dragonball if it came out at the right time.

Because recent Japanese law prohibits depictions of minors engaging in illegal acts.in manga or anime

Why do people assume anime is the end-all? Manga is a much bigger market than anything that isn't prime-time television.

I actually forgot about that and how it fucked up some of Jotaro's bits in JJBA.

But even before that law, delinquent anime series didn't seem very commonplace. There are a fair few OVAs of yankii manga but in terms of an actual series, I can only think of Sakigake Otokojuku, Cromartie High School and Hareluya II Boy (why the fuck they chose H2B and not one of the billion more popular dellinquent series is beyond me). In later years you could say Gokusen, Beelzebub and Rainbow I guess. There are a few series who have delinquent characters but the focus isn't on them/delinquency as such, like GTO.

The other question is why do many delinquent manga series get adapted to live action movies in particular. Even some obscure shit like Gaki Rock had a movie.

>The other question is why do many delinquent manga series get adapted to live action movies in particular.
Because delinquents are more likely to watch live-action than anime.

Why doesn't Sup Forums discuss much Manga?

Sup Forums has delinquent manga threads every once in a while. There are manga charts purely about delinquent manga.
But it's not a genre that every one of us is interested in.

I meant manga in general. The catalog seem mostly consist of waifu threads.

Well. obviously.
Sup Forums is primarily a board dedicated to discussing what is currently airing.
Sup Forums's population and the nature of anime are both geared towards discussion of sexual content.

I don't think there has ever been an animated manga

Maybe but I can't imagine making live action movies of this sort of thing generates a substantial amount of extra profit than the manga would, unless it's something like the GTO or Rookies TV series.

But that raises another question, is delinquent manga aimed at delinquents? You would think so but when we had one of these threads on Sup Forums a while back the majority of readers read this sort of manga because their lives weren't like the characters they were reading about. Might explain why they aren't as common now.

I suppose that they consider harmful for the society to romanticize crime.
I would like a sunken rock short ova.

>the majority of readers read this sort of manga because their lives weren't like the characters they were reading about.
You must keep in mind that a thread on Sup Forums has a sample bias because you are only asking people who frequent Sup Forums.
The typical delinquent probably doesn't do that.

Oh shit H2B had an anime? I might watch it. As shit of a series it was it kinda grew on me. Probably because the MC is great.

Wait... so romanticizing pedophilia and is ok but not violence? Japs are weird

Same reason Saru Lock, a manga about lock picking has actual panels censored, its pretty amusing.

thicc

It's not simply 'violence' it's high school violence and encouraging delinquency among the youth.

Can someone post a chart, I've only read a few series (Crows, R. Blues, etc).

Also, if anyone wants ebook raws for other series, let me know.

That is true, but then again the kind of delinquents we are discussing in these threads don't really exist so much so it would be hard to say.

In my head I keep thinking that based on my experiences a delinquent wouldn't even read manga because they'd be doing other shit but then again I'm not from Japan so that isn't representative either. Even in realistic delinquent manga they don't show the characters reading manga (but then they don't document literally every aspect of the character's lives so whatever).

Subs for it don't exist. Not sure if the Raws are still seeded either.

Can you get Rokuedenashi Brooch? There was someone wanting to work on it.

>In my head I keep thinking that based on my experiences a delinquent wouldn't even read manga
Everybody reads manga in Japan.

I'd say that the chances of kids becoming actual juvenile delinquents after reading or watching anime are pretty low, but I can imagine it being the type of things that the equivalent of soccer moms over there getting worked up about. They probably think situations like DROP are more common than they really are.

Yeah, I forget that sometimes.

>I'd say that the chances of kids becoming actual juvenile delinquents

Well the scope of what an actual delinquent is or isn't is pretty big. But I can imagine at its peak and with so many delinquent manga in the 80s there were plenty of kids influenced to a certain degree by it, not really surprising seeing how easily kids are influenced and how cool looking most of this manga make the delinquent life look like.

Same to how overly romanticized the yakuza are.

I'd have killed to have a spinoff series of Yu Yu Hakusho about Kuwabara and his friends/enemies. Delinquents with a heart of gold are my favorite trope, which makes R. Blues so enjoyable.

I'm not going to lie, even though I am old as shit compared to ages of everyone in the average yankii manga, I still sometimes think being in a bosozoku would be cool.

Also continuing to patiently wait for delinquentanon to pick up BR again.

Kind of backfires when the most popular manga in japan and the world is about a bunch of kids who are anarchist anti-collectivists who commit crimes almost every chapter.

>Crows
Mah nigga.
To this day, I still believe the Parko and dangerers arc is the pinnacle of delinquent manga.

>supporting monarchs
>anarchist
I don't follow.

Can't you really comprehend such a simple difference? I literally explained it it's not the same if you have some mild violence in some fantasy world with wacky supernatural character as violence clearly portrayed between school children and others acts of delinquency, which is exactly these kids which are being targeted as a demographic.

Kind of different in the sense that the average kid is not going to ever be able to be a pirate with magical powers.

On the other hand, nothing could stop them from forming a gang with their mates, skipping school, smoking, extorting younger kids, doing drugs, fighting etc.

I flip flop between PAD and Bouya vs 3rd gen TFOA as my favourite arcs in Crows. Both are really good in terms of build, action and pay off. Maybe once we get to the really good bits of RokuBlues or BBH I'll change my mind but for now, Crows is the fucking best.

That would have been great.

>the average kid is not going to ever be able to be a pirate with magical powers.
Fuck you, I'll be the greatest magical pirate ever.|

I believe in you user!

If it doesn't work out then join us instead.

I got into Rokudenashi Blues from a different thread here on Sup Forums. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed delinquent manga until then, and now I'm stuck waiting for more chapters to get scanslated.

Crows until that happens.

PAD has a bigger feel with more big deal characters that have distinctive fighting styles and whatnot, but I feel the fight against the TFOA was the top arc. It's a straight followup to Bando's arc that really helped develop his character, it was the first real major gang, first time Bouya was seriously tested, Ryushin was a top boss character, it involved Rindaman looking strong without having to involve the main character and it was still fairly heavily centered around Suzuran.

you know your stuff man

what are some good delinquent ovas my man

Because they usually get the live action treatment instead.

Reminder that dude in the suit is probably a 16 year old. They looked more like actual teens in the beginning

Do these type of guys still exist? or is it another case of middle age authors writing about what they remember from 30 years ago

More or less, schools will always have delinquents and shit but delinquent culture as it was before is pretty much dead.

I think the reason PAD felt like a bigger arc was besides the boss vs boss fights, it also crammed in more big moments in a shorter period of time than Suzuran vs 3rd TFOA. I've always wanted storytime Bouya vs TFOA but every time I think of doing it I end up thinking I have to storytime like 3 or 4 volumes of stuff to really capture the whole story, it was more of a slow burn but it paid off. PAD was more self contained but with more key moments, and I'd argue a better ending because after it ended everything changed and nothing stayed the same.

I find it odd that Crows managed to be so good throughout despite the second half of the manga having more or less compltely different characters than the first whereas Worst had far fewer arcs which were as gripping with the same crew through the whole thing.

Never understood that law about not depicting delinquency in Manga when there are still Manga about delinquents these days who are pretty much like the old ones (Fights, cigarettes, alcohol,...)
I always tought that the fact these Manga weren't as popular as they used to be is because of the decrease of manly Japanese people.
Let's be honest, men who aren't fucking their women anymore, who prefers to watch cute girls doing cute things and who tends to dress in a girly way aren't gonna watch and enjoy some teenagers beating the shit out of each other

Thank God there are still Mangas like A-bout and OUT.

My favourites are:
Be-Bop High School
Crows
Madonna
Angel Densetsu
Kyou Kara Ore Wa
Karate Osu Bu

Not sure if it's on those two pics but also Emblem Take and Ultimate Teacher as well. Maybe Bari Bari Densetsu but it's much more about racing. Still haven't seen the Sukeban Deka OVAs.

My favourite delinquent anime series is definitely Sakigake Otokojuku. Cromartie High School was great but the manga is way better.

Question:

We know that this genre is dead in Japan but is it also dead in the West?
I have several friends who love Shonan Junai Gumi and good delinquents Manga but we rarely get to see movies or anything related to the genre in the west and video games about it either flop or doesn't sell well.

thanks family

what's left mid?

Because every that airs these days gets subbed and you can easily check all the releases of a season
When it comes to manga, only a low percentage of them gets translated and its a much less stable medium given every manga can be cut short by low sales among other things, not to mention the sheer number of them compared to anime makes it much harder to track them and find new ones that might interest you.

Hiroshi Takahashi is incapable of drawing anyone who looks younger than 30 except maybe the MC of Worst. His protege is a bit better at it.

It's more about changing times. There will always be gangs and shit but the nature of those gangs are different now compared to how the were in the 70s and 80s (probably specifically because of how they were back then). I think Bosozoku is a pretty much dead phenomenon now that there are laws in place to stop them.

I think the French are still into it as they have a few sites dedicated to subbing live action yankii movies and scanlating some manga but then again they have always had some of that kind of manga in the form of Rokudenashi Blues, SJG, Otokogumi and probably more. In English speaking fandom I wouldn't be surprised if Jotaro was the only delinquent most people knew about. Metal Bat is probably now up there too.

As for delinquent stuff in the west which isn't manga? Hard to say, I can't even think of anything which would fit that apart from Fight Club and that wasn't the point of the book/movie at all.

Dunno, the guy who originally made the pic would know but I don't know if he still posts here. There's a few on there which I haven't got the names of.

Shonan Junai Gumi [OVA]
Angel Densetsu [OVA]
Udauda Yatteru Hima wa Nee! [OVA]
Beelzebub
Be-bop High School [OVA]
?
Cromartie High School
Bad Boys [OVA]
Crows [OVA]
Crows 2 [OVA]
Be-bop High School [OVA]
Shin Shounan Bakusouzoku Arakure Knight [OVA]
Kyou Kara Ore Wa [OVA]
Shonan Bakusozoku [OVA]
?
Ogami Matsugorou [OVA]
Rokudenashi Blues [1992 OVA]
Rokudenashi Blues [1993 OVA]
?
Chameleon [OVA]
Sakigake!! Otokojuku
Gokusen
Madonna [OVA]
Rainbow
?
Osu!! Karate Bu [OVA]
Sukeban Deka [OVA]
Slam Dunk
?

Same guy posted 4 pics of random delinquent manga as well if anyone wants it.

I'd say the biggest factor is that people simply prefer watching shit over having to read it, and the lack of colour is a huge no-no for most people, which is why webtoons became so popular and continue to do so.

Well to be honest, I'm from Belgium and I speak french do you're totally right about the french being into it since they're way ahead in any translation than any other team. And that never happens in any other genre.

Damn, I guess it really is dead.

Chameleon's pretty good

Can't believe I'd be regretting not paying attention to French in school.

Same. For real, 6 years gone to waste. If I had known I would've really gotten into it.

Yeah but the team currently translating are jerks.
They didn't translate A-bout since August because they don't have the cleaner for it. But instead of asking politely for one and do what they can, they keep sayong stuff like "If none of you is willing to clean, then you won't get any chapters at all until you get us someone" in their Facebook page.
But still they are the only translating these, so...

French people acting like jerks? You don't say.

Still better than nothing if you can read French. Surprised A-bout! Isn't translated for them.

Here's the full

Because they suck to be honest.

Well they did provide TL user with the cleans so he could typset into english.

I need something like kyou kara ore wa. Finishing the whole thing makes you feel seriously empty.

See

TL?

Yeah, I didn't make the connection but you're right, I shouldn't be surprised.
I think they take care of everything. They buy the Manga, scan , translate and clean them. I respect what they do but damn every time they post something I want to insult them.

The Translator user that is working on A-bout!! in english as well as other delinquent manga.

Ow ok. Well I seriously hope he gets ahead of thel because A-bout is the only current delinquents Manga I really care about and the wait has been killing me. Especially since they stopped just before we were gonna see Higushi's first serious fight.

The delinquents in Sakamoto smoke cigs on screen in the first episode. Did they get away with it because the no-smoking warning was shown on the carton?

Sauce? How did the industry react to this?

Why?

I want to find a custom T-shirt company that will help me make all the shirts in Crows and Worst. Those designs are boners. Especially once I get I reach my target body goal.