Why didn't Shaman King take off like Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece?

Why didn't Shaman King take off like Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece?

Fights weren't all that deep or strategic and kinda boring.

But Yoh was so based.

It wasn't a big enough reference to JoJo at the time

1. Not exactly original.
2. Not as good art as Tite Kubo
3. Forgettable characters

One Piece filled in Japan's nostalgia craving for classic Dragon Ball
Bleach had Rukia
Not sure why Naruto took off

Cool characters.
Best power system at the time.

Bleach took off because of 3 things:

The Pre-Reaper arc and the entire storyline there

The good artwork of Tite Kubo is very nice to look at

Rukia and how her kidnapping in the Pre-Reaper arc created what many consider the best arc in the franchise (Soul Society Arc).

Because it debuted while One Piece was getting started(C46), HxH was starting (C16) and JoJo's (Part 5) and Yu-Gi-Oh were running. Lots of big competition

I always thought it was much more popular in the west thanks to the anime every teen in 00s saw.

When you realize that there's only four or five arcs, including both the introduction and one that is often maligned and ignored (Fullbringer), then it's not hard to understand why most people would think the Soul Society Arc was the best one overall.

It's Bleach with worse art

No, there were 6 arcs total.

>Pre-Reaper Arc (1-8)
>Soul Soceity arc (9-20)
>Arrancar arc (21-32)
>Fake Karakura Town War (33-48)
>Fullbring Arc (49-54)
>1000 Year Blood War (55-74)

True that. A song originating from my country actually uses samples from the show.

No, because Bleach doesn't have tournament arcs nor is it based around using spirits of the dead to fight.

Is that legal?

It's probably like Malcolm in the Middle and how it showed that one anime character. I don't think anybody really cared very much.

It was from a time where almost every song used samples, I think.

Samples weren't much, though. Just 2 lines of voiced text from the dub in my country's language.

1. Shaman King was boring.

2, Shaman King had boring protagonists.

3. The main protagonist was forcibly engaged to a Mary Sue that was a huge bitch. Everyone in the manga and anime loved her but most readers found her to be trash.

4. Manga started out with a normal guy that was a dwarf meeting the protagonist. The dwarf ends up being pointless for the story but he ends up taging along anyway.

5. Along the way the protagonist end up fighting and befriending a lot of people. Non of the people he befriend are interesting.

6. The Hanagumi has arguably the most interesting girls in the entire manga. They are even shown to exist really early on. However they are only really shown in the story in the final arcs of the story... but even then they are mostly ignored. The fight they win isn't shown at all, and their fight in the anime they are pwned without having a real chance to shine. In the manga they aren't even allowed this as they are killed off-screen.

7. Finally the manga has no real ending. The anime gets a botched ending that is shit... and the several years later the manga finally gets an ending, but it ends up being only marginally better than the shitty anime ending.

>It's probably like Malcolm in the Middle and how it showed that one anime character
what does it mean?

That you're not the boss of me now

>and the several years later the manga finally gets an ending, but it ends up being only marginally better than the shitty anime ending.
What was the ending?

Nuclear War after the group gets gangraped to death.
I'm not kidding.

I've no idea what you are talking about. It was really popular in Japan and Latin America back when the anime was airing. I still see girls singing the OP songs in the karaoke every once in a while.

is not like only one piece did it :T

i knew it the mango is now worth to read, thank you user

LOVE TRAIN

We'll probably get something similar for Magi

Everything is consumed by fire totem (?) and Yoh and protagonists fight back with their own totems (?) in some sort of realm. Double-page spreads for each attack. But everyone dies in the end, and when Yoh dies the big bad also dies and then everything is returned to normal and everyone loves each other. It's so fucking weird.

>you need a strong spirit to be a strong shaman
>no actually you need magic power, magic power is the most important thing
>no scratch that, it's how you use magic power. That's the most important.
>magic power is worthless, you need to learn how to negate magic power
>magic juice is important again, use it to cause natural phenomenons
>you need these top tier spirits now or you are fucked

it started off popular but couldn't keep that popularity

Bad timing.
That's it.

Blackbeard D. Teach clearly has inspiration from Hao. So Oda even likes it.

Naruto was very good at the beginning.

HAO DOESN'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS

What?

Art Style was really angular and unappealing, the fights were boring, and the plot was boring too. The mechanics of the world were just sort of uninteresting, personally. Like, as soon as they move from the spirits posessing the shaman, to implanting the spirits into weapons etc. I lost interested and shifted away from it.

Yoh was a good central character though, I really found his relatively low-energy personality appealing.

SUTEAMU TURAIN DA!!!

It was basically
>What did Hao do because we need to copy that now

its a shame it never reach popularity since I love when they have references to mythological or just ancient stuff. Here in Mexico it was quite popular, there weren't many animes showing that time, the style wasn't amazing but it was enjoyable to watch. I also have to appreciate Mexico for airing the series before 4kids did otherwise we would have the editings of 4kids and ruined the show for me like it did with Yu-Gi-Oh!

The anime really butchered the manga. So many great moments left unadapted

Although at least we won't have to relive Faust's death

At least he can hang out with the soul of his brother

It's such a shame he was so much sidelined, he was IMHO the best guy from the MCs aside of Yoh.
Chugging bottle of morphine and then changing the bones after landing was fucking awesome.

Fights in Bleach or One Piece were never strategic, and Naruto only had like 3 truly strategic fights.

Manga ending: Hao killed everyone, Yoh and others tried to pummel him with the Elemental Spirits but no dice. Then every side character arrives in a spirit train, they reveal they found Hao's mother somewhere in the afterlife (this was Hao's true purpose all along but was blinded to her location by his own ambition) and she slaps him telling him to get everything back to normal. Hao complied but stays god and we are promised a sequel in Shaman King Flowers which was axed after 20 or so chapters because the magazine died

I really did love the character design for this

Shame, also we won't get to see a pissed off Horohoro