Is that fact that almost everyone has a job, actually BAD for the economy? I mean...

Is that fact that almost everyone has a job, actually BAD for the economy? I mean, it seems like so many people have pretty worthless jobs that don't really need to be done at all. I wonder if all the jobs actually serve as a net benefit to the economy. I mean how many garbage jobs exist just so most women can work? All the garbage HR and low key office jobs and bureaucratic waste. Should most people even be working?

Other urls found in this thread:

universitytitlegenerator.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Most of these 'worthless' jobs are held by women - """admin""", HR, child care, etc. And they almost always do a shitty job at these positions anyway. If these jobs were to disappear, I think the economy could improve, as would family and community life.

yes
a shit ton
no

Haha you're retarded.

Hmm I don't really wonder if nu pol understand economics or the purpose of a job.

universitytitlegenerator.com/
What's your job, Sup Forums?

Assistant Vice Manager of Facilities Affairs of the Subcommittee for Donor Diversity reporting in

yeah. Even if there wasn't a monetary benefit there would be a shit load less crime because people would be busy working.

I get the purpose of a job. I just wonder if a lot of modern jobs actually fulfill that purpose.

What business would pay income and benefits out to nonessential personell? Redundancies are identified and terminated.

But the jobs only become essential because everyone has a job in the first place. Would you really need such bloated HR and bureaucracy and diversity planners otherwise?

>worthless jobs that don't really need to be done at all

I don't think corporations are interested in employing people for the hell of it. Quite the opposite, they'd prefer to pay one guy's salary if he'd be willing to work 24/7 until he dies of exhaustion or stroke.

There might be an argument here if we were pointing fingers at a bloated government full of duplicity and do-nothings, but unfortunately everyone in the cubicle farm has been deemed necessary.
I'm sure the Pareto principle applies in terms of actual effort / output by the workers, but everyone is doing something.

I guess I'm asking because I work at a big company office. And I do work, but it's not like I'm relentlessly working eight hours a day, and most people aren't either. Not to mention modern businesses have a big focus on collaboration, which means more jobs have to be created to facilitate that. I often get the feeling more could be done if a lot of us just stayed home and the focus was sharper

I know exactly what you're talking about

If you've ever been to a hospital on Christmas the parking lot is 2/3 empty. Doctors, nurses, respiratory techs, phlebotomists, x ray techs, janitors, security guards, patients and their family and even cafe staff are there, equaling 1/3 of the lot. So who the fuck is filling the other 2/3rd on monday morning?

most jobs are just filler
you get told you need a job
then you buy into a lifestyle that requires it
then you hate your life, but are too stupid to realize it
ted kaczynski was right

Unions were replaced by HR, it makes more sense for a business to have direct control over their labour. Also, just because a position doesn't create direct value for a business doesn't mean its part of the value chain.
I work as a business consultant for larger companies. Many of them seek to outsource these positions. It's the natural flow for business and innovation.

Right. Just like universities only graduate really smart and educated students who will be able to: 1) make a good name for their school 2) have plenty of money to donate to the school, which they will do generously because they will have such a positive view of their school which is the reason they have a six figure income

*snicker*

>but everyone is doing something.

this isn't entirely honest, in my opinion. When certain jobs are redundant and the company doesn't benefit from the work completed in terms of net gain, it's easily argued that the person isn't doing anything FOR the company.

you can sit there and jack off all day and everyone is still doing something dude

I worked a job where I was hardly needed. One time, a coworker told me my position was created because my predecessor was sexually harassed in another department. The position was created to move her away from the harasser. It was difficult for the university to get rid of positions because of the union

There are so many fake positions because so much of the economy is fake. It will take a massive depression to see what positions are actually necessary

Well you clearly don’t. All firms will look to maximise their profits and that means hiring as few people as necessary to achieve their targets with maximum efficiency.

So all these “worthless jobs” are worth something to someone unless they’re being forced to employ certain people or jobs by law but then the purpose of those laws are to increase competitiveness or representation in sectors so that the economy benefits as a whole.

That’s not even mentioning the fact that giving more people a source of income stimulates the economy with private consumption increasing.

Tldr you don’t understand basic economics

that's good stuff.

where can I read his manifesto?

I would imagine our desires for more or better will keep us changing

That's right, everyone knows economics is a hard science, which is why all economists have George Soros levels of wealth like all chemists can put together a buffer solution

My work hires people because they get a monetary bonus from the government if they do, it's a big scheme to help the unemployment go down. So then my work hires extra people and divides the work more. Instead of 4 people working 40 hours a week, it's 16 people getting 10 hours a week.

unemployment rate*

I’ve spent half my career working at startups that never made one damn dollar of profit before they collapsed. I always seem to be able to get a new job, though.

And the bean counters and middle managers are failing to do their job in that situation. If you think about Bill and all that comes to mind is jerking off and taking smoke breaks, something needs to be done about Bill. Either give him work, get him back on task, or reconsider the continued existence of his position.

It's fun to imagine the reductive mind-numbing bureaucracy of Office Space, Brazil, or Hitchhiker's Guide, but it's not reality. The companies want $$$ first and foremost so it's hard to imagine someone lost in a corner office in this day and age. Someone is analyzing the cost of the ground coffee in the break room. No salary is going to be glanced over.

The Pyramids were a scheme to keep all of Egypt busy, so people didn't cause trouble during the downtime between seasonal labor.

>ridiculous ad hominem
My mistake, I thought you were at least trying to have a discussion.

The day of the rake can’t come soon enough

Jobs are the illusion that most people unfortunately adopt to keep believing that it fulfills their lives and what they do either they like it or not shapes the way they are or want to be

Man, the people I see in my day to day are too far off in zombie land to remember to press the cross walk button, I have no idea why you think whole departments are working together toward any goal. People are on auto-pilot over 90% of the day

Butthurt poor economist typing detected

>paying someone at a net loss
Get rid of government jobs and the problem is solved.

Entire departments like HR cost companies tons of money while not accomplishing much, they are there solely for appearances and liability.

You can't argue that big businesses care ONLY about money when the Google manifesto guy literally just fucking happened man, come on. Companies don't even hire the people they think will perform the work the most efficiently.

It's not like humans are perfect. When companies get massive, a few fake jobs is hardly noticed on the bottom line. then you also have corporate bureaucracy, insisting on something that are not really needed just because of some top level execs idea, and if his idea is bad, well he's not gonna admit it's a bad idea is he?

The gains from economies of scale or so large that even with all this money sinks, they still beat the crap out of small business.

I've yet to see ANY Admin/HR person NOT massively fuck up their jobs. It shouldn't have to be I have to nag and remind the same 2 or 3 people 6 or 8 times over the span of two weeks just to do ONE thing I asked. If I worked like that I'd probably be grabbed and thrown out of the building bodily before the end of my shift. Why DOES HR and Admin jobs tolerate so much incompetence.

>Executive Vice Chair of the Task Force on Strategic Neighborhood Planning
>Estimated salary: $66,338

First thing's first, let's segregate these neighborhoods again.

I think of it this way, what if all those people WEREN'T working? They'd just be wandering the streets broke and spreading their stupidity all over the place

help me OP i can't get an IT job that i want after doing it for 2 years

HR people generally read a procedure sheet and fuck off to their manager/supervisor for anything beyond making sure the phone list is updated for the building. Though I don't think I could deal with the petty shit people bring to HR like "I don't like this person because they called me a bitch"

Because HR has become completely separated from all company oversight in order to be independant and able to a sexual harassment time bomb from destroying the company.

This has given HR literally no accountability.

>Should most people be working
Yes. It is healthy for the mind. Self improve out of low work, but work all the same. Women can work in the home if they choose, but everyone should be productive. If you aren't working, you degenerate.

How can you stand that past the second time? Most startups have these ridiculous pie in the sky mentality like "We're going to be Uber, but for dogs!" or "We're looking to capitalize on the senior citizen sex toy market." and just seem to exist just to make it past seed, first, and second stage funding only to take the money and run. The pay is probably shit too.

Though I'm glad that you apparently land on your feet all the time, but wouldn't you just want to get a soulless job doing Java or C# after all of that, instead of working with JS clusterfucks.

On paper they are also supposed to be in charge of worker concerns like scheduling time off and divining what benefits are to be had and most importantly what the health coverage entails. But they are great at having no fucking clue about any of those things either.

I put in once for a week off with my PTO 2 months ahead of when I needed it only to get pinged back and forth between HR and my supervisor for 6 weeks as neither party was certain only the other could allow and schedule for PTO. Then after finally getting HR to get their shit together and approve me, nobody bothered to tell my shift I had the week scheduled off for 4 days until my supervisor called HR to see if I had quit or died or was in a hospital critically ill as I was absent.

I ask myself that every goddamn day for the past 12 years that I've been working here. Oh well. The bills have to get paid.

>Should most people even be working?
Do you honestly want hordes of idle brown people?

>implying brown people have jobs

Yeah but aren't there better jobs to do? I look outside and the roads are shitty and on the outskirts of my town there are some shitty abandoned buildings. Why is nothing being done about that? There are lots of people unemployed. I just feel like there's a lot of work to be done, but people still can't find jobs and it's weird, and the jobs a lot of people do have seem worthless.

Yeah I could never work for a startup. I'd be going nuts holding my tongue all day as for how retarded the business plan and niche is for the company

Also at my organization, and many others, there are jobs like "vice manager of organization operations" and bullshit like that. Is that seriously legit? Or is it just a fancy money laundering scheme?

Not to mention when you're in HR you are more or less in charge of whom gets hired and fired and what the job positions are period, thus for the most part you could justify your own existence and the few sinecure openings you make for you and yours since you are the only sector of the company in charge of that

What are people going to do if they don't work? That's how crime goes up

>I often get the feeling more could be done if a lot of us just stayed home and the focus was sharper
I have a job where I was working from home full time for the past 3-4 years. Everything was fine. Then I was informed that new (((management))) wants the office to look fuller, for collaboration, etc. I currently only have to go in one day a week, but an hour is wasted on commute, setting all my shit up, then faggots randomly come talk to me, etc. Its way less productive, but as long as they feel good about me "collaborating face to face" I guess its fine to lose money.

I’m in a weird niche, I make six figures writing simple Python scripts for middle aged programmers who think any language other than C is devil magic. I never want to do that Silicon Valley JavaScript kiddie crap.

>Is the fact that almost everyone has a job
Heh, I wish I had a job

this. somebody is counting the ground coffee, but unless shtf it doesn't matter. when shtf, the ground coffee also doesn't matter anymore. so it doesn't matter. unless you are stealing the ground coffee. then we will find you and destroy you.

I personally believe if we had a basic safety net then predatory employers couldn't take advantage of people, which also means that the quality of capitalist output would need to improve in order to stay competitive. Say, for example, a delivery company treats a human like shit. At the moment, that person is absolutely fucked because they can't get out of the financial hole they are in very easily, but if they knew they could have things like lentils, potatoes, basic cloths, and a tiny apartment or house, they could simply tell their abusive employer to go fuck themselves. As such, their employer would have to treat people better in order to retain workers.

UBI has become a popular suggestion to solve this problem, but I think it misses the point. I think we should all concentrate on "Earned Basic Necessities". Basically, in between high school and university or work or labor, each person spends 3-4 years building a small house for themselves and helping farm their own food. This is also subsidized by the government with a loan/bursary type system. After these earned basic necessity years, I believe we should be a fully free market society, in order to build luxuries and great things. And so, getting back to your point, in such a system we actually would be working on things that actually mattered--and could take way more risks--rather than all the bullshit and boring make work shit that's going on to keep everyone afloat. UBI, in my opinion, is a worse idea because it abstracts what we actually want--tangible necessities--into money which can be prone to inflation.

I'm not sure exactly what this makes me politically, but I like the name "Minimum Capitalist" or mincap for short. Because I think each person should have the opportunity to build the minimum for themselves so that they can then become great capitalists, instead of the shitty capitalists you are referring to.

Have an encyclopedic exam with an impossibly high skill cap. Administer this exam to the populace every 2 years. The score on this exam will determine your aliquot of total wealth and priority in hiring. The most intelligent and knowledgeable will own the wealth.

it makes you african, that's what it makes you. this is what they have in africa basically, minus planned crop planting, which is why they have periodic famine when shit doesn't simpky grow by itself due ro poor wearher season.

Less jobs are neccesary than ever before, you'll know we've gone to far when robots take out drivers and we try to give them new jobs instead of just paying them anyway for being former drivers.

Fuck that explains a lot. Trying to find jobs through Uni that provided more than scraps of hours was impossible

The Startup scene has become a hive for charlatans, much like indie video games. Very sad.

The legal tech area has some good examples

Further, look at how the media industry continues to pump out SJW crap that doesn't sell.

e.g. Cracked just went under, and there was that black princess (princess and the frog (?)) film that tanked

Frozen 2 the homo gasm will sell well

Frozen:We Wuz Broadway.will do even better

*kangs internally*

We'll see.

Wolfenstein "punch a nazi" 2 also tanked.

To reiterate the point: Company management really is often just mediocre and retarded. That's why the management consulting industry exists at all. That, and they're driven by things other than money.

SSSHHIIEEETTT

Most people don't have the temperament or iq to start there own business. Sitting in an office is sage and secure that's why people do it.
If company's will pay for it it is worthwhile to the company