So I just watched the first season of this for the first time...

So I just watched the first season of this for the first time, and I'm a dumb shitlord who needs things explained to him.

What was up with the last 2 episodes? It was a bunch of soul searching personal stuff, which is fine, but in what context did that happen?

It was said to be the "Human Instrumentality Project" but when I look into it the Human Instrumentality Project what I'm told is that it's "SEELE's secret goal: the forced evolution of humanity through bringing about Third Impact under their own control. The Human Instrumentality Committee oversees NERV's work to bring about completion of the project."

So I still don't understand how that makes everyone go on some hallucinogenic soul searching journey, or if it was all in Shinjis head, or how it even remotely relates to these 2 episodes at all

Sorry for the stupid question.

Other urls found in this thread:

17th-angel.tumblr.
evamonkey.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Watch EoE and come back after that.

>first season
just watch EoE and know that they're concurrent endings. All you can really get out of the original 2 episodes is something bad happens and Shinji learns to love himself.

Huh?

What would I watch after?

What's the definitive order to watch this stuff in?
Online says EoE is a sequel to Death and Rebirth, is that just a retelling of the first season? I thought that was supposed to be 1.0

Skip death and rebirth, go straight to EoE, then watch 1.0, then 2.0, then 3.0.

The show is what you should watch first, and you've already done that
Death/Rebirth is just a recap and preview of EoE
EoE is an ending that goes hand in hand with the TV show ending, they're just different perspectives and will make the ending a lot more clear.

Don't watch anything with a number in it's name.

>then watch 1.0, then 2.0, then 3.0
>Don't watch anything with a number in it's name

if only anime was simple

Reminder that Shinji is straight

what is Anno working on now? Didnt he put something on hold to make Shin Godzilla? Was it 4.0?

Second season? We need to interrogate the OP to see if he is from another dimension.

maybe he likes girls AND guys.

If someone's going to put themselves through the rebuilds, they might as well at least wait for the last one.

I dont think I mentioned a second season

Are they basically a retelling but with more story added to the original main one?

There's a theory that's probably true saying that it's actually a sequel to the series

But until 4.0 yes it's just a worse retelling. 3.0 is total garbage but still the best one of the trilogy.

The brief highschool segment at the end is reality, the majority of the show is shinji's chunni self insert fantasy world involving his family and friends.

You mentioned the first season. Is there something you haven't told us, Okarin?

ah okay, I know what you mean.

I'm not wrong technically. It's the first season. First and only season, but still the first

You can't prove it

I can't, but you can't prove it's not that way. He did say he "loved" Kaworu, with some other gay undertones in that episode.

Doesn't really matter though, doesn't change anything in the end. Getting caught up on fictional character's sexuality when it's not relevant to the plot is dumb.

The central plot is basically the same and still not all that dissimilar when it looks like it's jumping rails, every part of the weird conspiracy plot going on in the back is radically changed.

OP here
watching End of Eva

DID SHINJI JUST JERK OFF TO AN UNCONSCIOUS ASUKA???

what do you think

jesus christ Anno.... what are they like 12?

we can in fact prove that shinji doesn't love kowaru because in the LN he hated his fucking guts up till he death griped kowarus smug corpse.

The reason the anime portrayed their relationship the way they did was because they ran out of time and rushed production. The manga had the missing detail that everyone should have had.

14, all the more reason why Shinji would do something so stupid

I'm very confused by Asuka and Shinji's relationship, its so bipolar and you can't quite put your finger on it.

So were they. I think they're co-dependent, only Anno knows.

Don't watch Death and Rebirth, it's just a recap of the anime and a preview of the beginning of EoE.

EoE is the proper end for the series.

>What was up with the last 2 episodes?
Anno ran out of time/money and wasn't able to end the show how he wanted to(aka how it ends in EoE) so the last two episodes were just random nonsense that they put together at the last moment

I think he's just too young and used to think of anime in seasons rather than as complete stories.

Say if I wanted to take the Master to an abandoned theater and have a frank exchange of views with him. What sort of key items and equipment would I need? Folding chair? Spotlight? What would be the best procedure to subject him to?
Asking for a friend.

I think that technically it spread over two seasons.

Instrumentality is unleashed, everyone gets fucked. Shinji decides the fate of the world and decides that life is worth living. The end.

Watch End of Evangelion for a more fulfilling ending.

Then watch Rebuild for fun.

I doubt Anno will ever define it because that's one of the reasons why NGE is so complex. Its like the bible, the riddles only give you more questions than answers.

>Then watch Rebuild for fun.

This is bullshit Evageeks theory the endings are meant to be two separate things, this been stated by the creators in several interviews

EoE is split in episodes 25' and 26', replacing TV 25 and 26. 25' it's a remake and it's how the TV version was supposed to look like but they ran into time constrains so they did it in the same animation style as episode 26.

In TV 26, Shinji accepts Instrumentality. In EoE 26', Shinji rejects it.

Both endings have a hopeful tone, even if in EoE it doesn't seem like. In Instrumentality the world becomes a hivemind and everyone is forced to bond. It's pleasant, but it's a sacrifice of individuality. Getting out of the primordial soup means feeling pain again of having to go through the hard way of life and bonds. They can be interpreted as "it's ok to run away sometimes" vs "you musn't run away" and as "Escapism" vs "Fighting Forward". Your favorite ending it's the one that appeals to your ideology I guess.

Everyone can come back from Instrumentality as long as they want to.

Oh, why did I even watch it six times? What got into me any of those times?

Pleasant? I saw it as absolute, eternal suffering. When I encountered the same thing at the end of Childhood's End, I literally dropped the book in disgust and silence.
Is it possible to have a real phobia of something that has no basis in reality, that only exists in EoE and that one book no one knows about?

I don't think it's specified if Shinji accepts Instrumentality in the TV ending. In fact, it's not even important, since the episodes themselves move away from the plot and "real" world into psychologism. Their primary task was to explain to watchers why is it so important to have others around you and love yourself and what it is to be yourself in general.

Of course it's not 100% pleasant, Asuka and Shinji were throwing shit at each other even there. It's only pleasant physically, even the Eva/Angel take form of genitals and orgasm faces when it begins, it's a massive orgy metaphor but devoid of any demotional depth.

It's like Misato says how it's good to feel needed even if only physically.

They are literally one ending in the same. If you don't see that you're blind.

It's not, I admit that's not something explicitly said in interviews but Anno saying that the message of that ending was that it was ok to run away sometimes and the dialogue about how Shinji belongs there with everyone seemed like they never left instrumentality. Plus the final scene ressembles the place in EoE Shinji talks with Rei and Kaworu inside the Tang.

While EoE he describes it as anti-escapism.

They literally said they weren't, that they were "like endings of a video game" in old ass interviews and booklets that came with the movie. Then being the same endings is western meme.

It's not pleasant physically because there's no physical. You can't touch anyone, it's just your empathy and imagination going wild in the lack of sensory input.

That's probably a better way to put it

It's not pleasant physically or emotionally, it's literal nothingness. Sexual imagery was there to subconsciously draw attention of a viewer, since sex, along with death, is something that every human pursuits or/and is afraid of. Also, I see it as Anno's personal value of sex, since it's a form of human union, the closest two individuals can get, the creation of life. The Third Impact is compared to it in this sense, the individuals become one and together form into something new. Also return to the womb.

The singularity is inconceivable from outside, that's why it's the singularity. The wave of joyous screaming ahead of the red stain of surrendered bodies engulfing the Earth is still maybe the most horrifying damn image in the franchise.

>What's the definitive order to watch this stuff in?
release order

Probably of all Japanese media

Well it's conceivable as "run definitely run". Not really any other way to handle the Unspeakable.
Also fuck that image. I'll make sure to remember the filename so I don't make the same mistake.

Shinji and Misato never fucked so this anime was pointless.

And what other stuff has Anno said that's blatantly false?

What is it?

Rei

17th-angel.tumblr.

com/post/62760437979/

evamonkey.

com/platinum-booklets/

Jinken-official.

jimdo.

com/講演録-会見録/庵野秀明/

庵野  本来、こういう風になるはずだったんだろうねえ、ということです。あれはリメイクになっちゃってますから。実際にやりたかったのは25話。もともとテレビの26っていうのはああなる予定だったんです。25までちゃんとできてて26でひっくり返すっていうのは美しいんです。25が落ちちゃって、結局このまま製作するしかない、と。映画は25のほうをメインでやりたかったです。26がなあ、綺麗に作り直してると思うんですよ。綾波レイが巨大化するっていうのは当初の予定に無いですけど、まあどうせやるなら地球規模にしようと。40mとか50mとかでかけりゃ文句無いだろ、と。

Anno: It was a question of, this was probably how it was supposed to be originally. That was [the basis for] the remake. What I really wanted to do was episode 25. Originally, I had planned that the television version of episode 26 would end up being like [it was]. It would have been beautiful to do the story properly up to episode 25 and then turn everything inside out with episode 26. 25 fell through, and in the end I felt we had to [finish] producing the series as things were. For the film, the main thing was that I wanted to remake episode 25. Episode 26, I thought I would beautifully recreate. I didn't expect at the time that Ayanami would become enormous, though. I felt, well, if we're going to do it let's make her the size of the planet.

OP here... just finished End of Eva

That... that just made me more confused. What the hell happened? Why? I did not see ANY of that coming

>let's make her the size of the planet

>That... that just made me more confused. What the hell happened? Why? I did not see ANY of that coming
Congratulations!

Scroll this thread up a bit, people already answered some of the important stuff

>What was up with the last 2 episodes? It was a bunch of soul searching personal stuff, which is fine, but in what context did that happen?
What happened? Anno stepped over his alotted budget
The context? He spent too much money and had to shut down his project in a quick way, and the fans took it as "high philosophy"

Ignore everything you read online and decide what happened yourself. EoE is best enjoyed that way.

With the angels gone everyone played their hands. Seele sent an army to retrieve the evangelions and start instrumentality on their terms.
Gendo hurried up down the basement to do the same before they got to him
Rei fucked all of them over and gave the future of mankind to her mentally unstable crush.
Humanity became a collective consciousness
Yui became humanity's future memorial
Rei became a god
Shinji decided to face up to reality.
Asuka did the same.
Others could too... if they want to.
The end.

I mean I guess... but like... Why did they want the 3rd impact? How did they even know what it was? How did Gendo know Rei could do that shit, or whatever shit he expected her to do? Why was shinji trying to kill Asuka at the very end? Why did everyone turn into soup but Gendo who got bitten in half by... a delusion of 01? Why was everyones soul being taken into lilith a bunch of Rei's turning into peoples desires that made them orange soup?

The questions go on and on, those are just the ones off the top of my head

Evangelion is the story of an extremely shitty dad trying to use magic to get back together with the soul of his wife, which unbeknownst to him actually engineered the accident that killed her so she could inhabit a giant demigod prototype in order to keikaku her way through her father's plotting and protect her own son. Wife spend sthe entire story moving not a single finger to reunite with Shitty Dad or give him any sign of sentience, although she repeatedly goes Apeshit Face-Eating Bananas to murder anything that looks at her son ugly.

In the end, Shitty Dad gets rejected by his clone-of-wife he created, his wife literally eats his face, and then wife-clone remerges with the Progenitor of all Human Life only to leave the future of humanity to the will of Shitty Dad's kid whom she drastically prefers to Shitty Dad, much like Shitty Dad's wife, and Alien Life-Form Progenitor guy who also agrees that Shitty Dad's kid is a much more likeable chap.

>Why did they want the 3rd impact?
Seele wanted to usher in a new stage of humanty with themselves conveniently at the helm
Gendo wanted his Waifu back
>How did they even know what it was?
Dead see scrolls showed them what Adam and Lillith were capable of
>How did Gendo know Rei could do that shit
He built her out of Lillith
>Why was shinji trying to kill Asuka at the very end?
Opinion is divided on this, will go into it later
>Why did everyone turn into soup but Gendo who got bitten in half by... a delusion of 01?
>Why was everyones soul being taken into lilith a bunch of Rei's turning into peoples desires that made them orange soup?
Everyone's soul was a fragment of Lilim, they all returned to it, and the method varied between each person, most by being lured by the thing they wanted the most, but Gendo's guilt and sense of being unworthy got reflected in that vision. kind of like Michelangelo painting himself as a hollow skin being taken to haven in he last judgement painting

things starting to get cleared up, thanks... still complicated though

no problem, just mull it over and if you liked it give it a second view while knowing where things are headed, a lost of stuff you might have glossed over in a single view suddenly will become very relevant.

And pay attention to Yui Ikari's dialogue in EoE. She spells out a lot of important things.

Why didn't Yui ever try to send Gendo a "fyi, I did this on purpose. Seele was trying to kill me. Be less of a giant cock to Shinji"?

Like, half the entire fucking plot is Gendo trying to get back with someone that is standing very conspicuously in his own facility and he fucking knows she's there. You'd think that around the third or so time that 01 acts autonomously to save Shinji, he'd have gone "Holy shit, Yui isn't trapped, she's staying in there on purpose."

>Seele was trying to kill me
Hang on a moment, when did that happen? It's been a while, but I thought the reason Yui ended up in EVA-01 was because she wanted to.

Yui probably never told anything to Gendo because she knew he was never going to accept it. Yui was so sure she could save humanity.

And of course, even seeing how Eva 01 acts it looks like someone who would never accept it.

There's a flashback scene with Fuyutsuki where she somewhat obliquely mentions she's become a hindrance and that it'd be easy for them to make her disappear.

She did end up in the 01 willingly, that's how she plotted to save her life and put herself in a position where she could ultimately guide things better than anyone else.

Because she knew Gendo would do everything to stop her, that's why she chose to tell Fuyutsuki instead. She knew he was just as trustworthy because he loved her too but would know to let her do it since he already accepted losing her.

>filename
kek, what a tranny

SHE MAN
AND THE TWINKIES OF COSTCO

He knew she was there, and of course knew she'd protect Shinji, that didn't mean he could have knonw she was there on purpose. Only when shinji was gone and she was rejecting the dummy plug it downed on him the possibility that she she could reject him.

Ah, this entire time I thought she just wanted to become a God.

Yui had exactly one willing accomplice in Fuyutsuki, in on her whole plan and then in on the whole plan Gendo made in response for 10 years without saying a thing. Gendo was working as intended. He does get from "she understands what's at stake" to halfway realizing the eva isn't on anybody's side but Shinji's after episode 19, starts standing on catwalks lost in thought more, but who would back out by then?

What was the deal with the spear thing?

Which specific deal? The spear keeps an Angel inert, it's sort of like a failsafe in case two ever ended up on the same planet.

The Spear of Longitude?

Did you watch EoE? It's kind of hard to explain, but essentially Rei stabbed her spear into Unit 01 and they became one, and because 01 is Lilim, and giant Rei is Adam, 01 became god, and turned the ocean into delicious astronaut juice. Asuka doesn't like the flavour of astronaut juice, she prefers coffee with breakfast, that's why she said "kimochii warui"
or, "I hate this taste"

Unit 01 = Shinji
Giant = Rei
Spear = Dick

That boy needs therapy.

Purely psychosomatic?

Not the angels, the seeds. The first ancestral race created two kinds of seeds when they knew they were going extinct, some would create life with the ability to think and reason like Lilith and humanity (fruit of knowledge) and some would create life with the ability to be super powerful magic giants like Adam and the angels (fruit of life). They didn't want both kinds of seeds to end up on the same planet because they thought a race with both abilities would be too powerful, so the spears were supposed to keep a seed inert if it landed on a planet that already got seeded. Adam landed on earth first, then Lilith landed and caused the first impact. Her spear was damaged in the impact, so Adam's activated and kept him inert until humanity started fucking around with him and woke him up, causing the second impact and jump-starting angel production.

But that's all supplementary information that wasn't explained in the anime.

Yeah, I worded that pretty poorly. Although, the seeds are just vessels for the angel, aren't they? The spear keeps the angels inert rather than the seeds, because the seeds are just giant pods.
Wonder what happens if two seeds of the same type end up on the same planet?

The seeds are Adam and Lilith. The pods that they traveled in were called moons, black moon for Lilith which created the geofront Nerv's headquarters are in, and white moon for Adam, which was in Antarctica before it got exploded in the second impact. Adam and Lilith being referred to as the first and second angels is kind of a misnomer, since all other things called angels are children of Adam the way humans are children of Lilith. Although Adam and Lilith resemble the other angels they are fundamentally different beings.

Shit, I completely skim-read your post and just thought you meant seeds as in the moons.
What's the actual difference between them and the offspring they produce?

They are only meant to seed life to new planets. Lilith bleeds LCL, which was the primordial ooze out of which life on earth evolved. Angels probably came from Adam in a similar (but faster) way, maybe from pieces of Adam's flesh that got scattered in the impact. Evangelions are attempts to clone Adam to create an angel-like creatures. I'm not sure why the seeeds also have their own souls, since it doesn't really seem relevant to their function.

Keep in mind that everything having to do with the FAR is dubiously canon, since I most of it comes from a PSP game.

>since it doesn't really seem relevant to their function.
I guess to create life you gotta be life, or something along those lines.

I really didn't appreciate this Avalanches reference.

Lie down on the couch.

There is evidence the first ancestral race weren't made up for the game, that's their first published mention but they're in pre-production material released after. Where they're described as a pre-human, terrestrial civilization destroyed by their evangelion, so eh.

To my knowledge the classified information files never contradict the show canon as well. And I believe Anno had a lot of input in writing them.

Anno wrote and supervised that PSP game

Tldr all of it but still wrong

The Rebuilds aren't a retelling. If you pay attention in 1.0 you'll notice that all the little differences weren't made because of time constraints and things will go down differently for 2.0