What are the dangers of scientism?

What are the dangers of scientism?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12450968
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Witch craft. The dirty jews will control us with it.

There are no dangers.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12450968
>friday 13 is dangerous for women because they are superstitious

don't make me pull up the states on mixed-race heart disease being worse than blacks, or how 95% of transgendered people who were beaten by their parents enter remission instead of opting for surgery. Or the study on german ancestry and natural hiv resistance, or the genes that control neuron growth and their racial distribution.

blah blah, etc

Rape when it comes to NDT.

Technocracy. Just because someone is good at math doesn't make them smart in other ways. Take NDT, for instance. He published a list a few years ago of books that everyone should read. Each book on the list has his summary and why he thinks it's important. NDT blatantly misses the point of the majority of those books.
Also, most people don't actually understand how science works. They understand tabloid news articles that say "X causes Y!" when the data actually shows that under certain conditions X correlates with Y. Not that the scientists care to correct them, the increased awareness of their research gets them more funding, and makes them look cool in the eyes of normies.

I would say the top danger would be referring to journals that aren't properly double blind peer reviewed, a standard that intersectional feminists and marxists try to degrade because they can't inject idpol.
Next, the politicization and lobbying that take place in thebresearch community.

why do niggers want to be scientist so bad?

kek

I'd colonize the one on the far left

Scientism creates a technocratic government that utilizes data-driven algorithms for central planning. It removes religion and God in favor of science that is funded by the state. In fact, it completely removes spirituality since science itself is found empirically aka. the 5 senses. The priests will become the scientists whose words are taken 100% fact.

It's closer than you think.

Logic, reason. What do?

Scientism is not a thing.
Science is different from religion in a way that things have to be proven in science before becoming accepted as truth.

We live in a universe where man cannot explain everything. Scientist will even say that something being observed by man can change its outcome. The arrogance of those who think they can explain things beyond human comprehension will be the downfall of our kind.
I’m not saying we should stop learning, but to believe we can understand everything Is a fools endeavor and waste of time.

People subconsciously need something to put blind trust into. Science becomes the new religion for people. It has its heretics, special language, truth, and fervent followers. It may not be religion, but it replaces the function of religion in the human psyche.

make me think

Consensus science is not science. People were exiled and killed for thinking against the consensus i.e. the sun was the center of the solar system. Science can and will change over time but if you stop smelling your own shit you'll hold everyone back

A better society
Better public health
Vaccines
Sewage
Space ships
Wifi
/sci/
A round earth
Better clothes
Good beer
Medicine in general
Rick and Morty
You just lost the game
Chairs

Who are the heretics of science? And don't say people doing research related to differences between races, because the push against that does not come from science.

the dumbing down of science as it becomes a pop phenomenon

post em plz

>Rick and Morty
>13 year old boy
every fucking time

>it replaces the function of religion in the human psyche.
gonna have to disagree with you there

Everything.

t.Physicist

>NDT and Bill Nye
>scientists

There's adherents of the electric universe theory which is at odds with the gravitational universe. Also include the people who believe in Tesla free energy. The car that runs on water. Fringe theories like these you frequently see called "pseudoscience" aka heretics.

This is a true statement. That's why capitalism is the only solution. Humans are simply too dumb to create a perfect system that fits human nature and behavior. So instead, we should let people act as individuals, as nature intended.

>all the elephants would die

Idk about that. There might be some height where the elephant can survive long enough to make it out of that situation. It may or may not involve a body of water.

>What are the dangers of scientism?
None.
The only danger is when people decide to "believe" in science and try to turn the current level of knowledge into immutable dogma.
See: Climate Change and Race
This happens because belief is a beneficial human evolutionary trait that will be with us for a long time, and it sometimes spills out of it's areas of usefulness into the broader world.

Science is a process, not a religion.
Anyone who claims otherwise is trying to sell you something.

>There might be some height where the elephant can survive long enough to make it out of that situation
either they get crushed by the elephants above them, suffocate, or make a break for it and die from the height

good post.

Digits confirms

The brainlets will fall behind. That's about it.

The biggest danger is people sounding smart yet being dumb or lying, and dumb people believing it. Scientism puts the tinfoil in tinfoil niggers.

Scientism is what validates atheism, which in turn caused nihilism destroying western civilization. I'm a scientist myself, but this is simply a fact

By 'scientism,' do you mean meme science? If that's the case, you have every reason to worry. Meme science is completely irrational, Leddit-tier trash that has a very real, negative effects on the world.
>Science is anything more than a tool
>Science is clear-cut (almost everyone believes this even though they claim they don't)
>Scientific results aren't constantly manipulated
>Funding of astronomical research is important (fuck off) and not ridiculously expensive
>LE BASED SCIENCE MAN cancer memes
>LE SCIENCE IS MUH RELIGION retardation

just committing to bad science or pseudoscience
trying to explain religious belief using science

I'll have the one in the middle, thanks.

So are they killed? Are they fobidden to do their work?

Basement-dwelling, frog-meming, anime-masturbators opining on empirical inquiry...the stupid is strong with this thread.

>Are they forbidden to do their work?
Yeah, research funds are cut.

All the ills and wrongs with the world since WW2. It all came out of one Pandora's box, it might have been the Jews that pulled them out (with money) but absolutely every single facet of globalism for a start.
The same science-guys that created the UN gave nuclear secrets to the USSR after we'd basically won history. Russia never invented the atom bomb, it was all given to them by western scientists because "the communist system is the scientific system".
You have to differentiate between actual science - which nobody objects too - and scientism which is the ultimate cancerous cult and the most anti scientific force on the planet.
Up to 40% of peer reviewed papers in some subjects are fraudulent in some way.

But that's completely different from heresy, user. And that still does not forbid them from doing their work.

>empirical inquiry
Fucking cringe, dude.

>replaces the function of religion in the human psyche.
finally found the quote I was looking for, and why I disagree with you

>The Christian says, 'Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists. A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water. Men feel sexual desire: well, there is such a thing as sex. If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing. If that is so, I must take care, on the one hand, never to despise, or to be unthankful for, these earthly blessings, and on the other, never to mistake them for the something else of which they are only a kind of copy, or echo, or mirage. I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that country and to help others to do the same.

C.S. Lewis btw

>Who are the heretics of science? And don't say people doing research related to differences between races

Ok.
How about the people doing research into the effects of solar cycles on the climate?
Or the people going against the dogma of the Clovis culture being the oldest in the Americas?
Or the people researching the multi-regonal hypothesis of evolution instead of bowing down to OOA?
How about those expanding the hypothesis of an impact event causing not only massive flooding at the end of the last ice age, but the onset of the Younger Dryas?
Or the ones expanding our knowledge of Milankovich cycles and how they might contribute to long (by human standards) fluctuations of temperature?
Or the ones promoting catastrophism punctuating long periods of uniformitarianism?

All of the above are currently derided as heresy and blasphemy.

I think there needs to be a new name for this movement, like we christened 'cuck' and 'soyboy'

Because most of the people who 'fucking love science' don't actually like science. They don't believe in biology....they don't believe in economics....they don't believe in genetics. Science used to be about questioning....now if you question climate change they treat you like the Inquisition treated Galileo. They think science is spouting Rick & Morty and Big Bang Theory quotes

How do we rebrand this movement to seperate it from the 'nerds' of the past who actually were nerds....to separate it from 'science' (because they don't really believe in science

The Marxist Inquisition? The Pseudo Science Inquisition? Pop Culture scientists?

I'd like to somehow mix the idea that it's fake science with the inquisition/witchhunt motif

>belief is a beneficial human evolutionary trait

Under precisely what circumstances, Darwin? If it's "evolutionary", then I suppose you can isolate the genetic component.

Would all or even most babies develop to be "religious" if their parents let them indulge their own curiosities?

I think you're confusing heresy and just community refusing to believe your findings. Heresy is prosecution of people doing research unfavorable to the established doctrine.

Just how is it that those two organisms you saw fit to portray can interbreed and produce fertile offspring? How's that?

I don't know if you get metaphors that well (English isn't your first language so it's cool), but the 'heresy' thing is an obvious metaphor. You'll be shunned by your peers if you do certain things in the scientific community. That's not up for debate.

You need funding to do substantial research. That's not up for debate either. You're deprived of that if you deviate too much. Also, no working scientist is passionate enough about fringe shit to voluntarily become shunned, raise money by some impossible means, and actually go through the research. Just fucking stop. Biology is the worst echo-chamber on the planet from experience.

And yet Science will always feature a huge portion of fuck the established dogma, rightly so. This is one of its driving forces. And it's darned cute.

That was a horrible metaphor. Jesus. Is equating science to religion a metaphor too?

Great post. I could almost hear the mainstream "science" acolytes frenetically searching the interwebs for the approved doctrine of responses.

True or not, the electric universe is something everyone on this board should familiarize

But the process plays second fiddle to the agenda, and only data useful to the agenda is permitted. This is how science has become a corrupt religion

>HURR HOW CAN NEANDERTHALS AND HUMANS BREED TO PRODUCE FERTILE OFFSPRING?
Are you actively trying to troll, or are you really this uninformed?

The university intellectuals also play an important role in carrying out the System's trick. Though they like to fancy themselves independent thinkers, the intellectuals are (allowing for individual exceptions) the most oversocialized, the most conformist, the tamest and most domesticated, the most pampered, dependent, and spineless group in America today. As a result, their impulse to rebel is particularly strong. But, because they are incapable of independent thought, real rebellion is impossible for them. Consequently they are suckers for the System's trick, which allows them to irritate people and enjoy the illusion of rebelling without ever having to challenge the System's basic values.

Because they are the teachers of young people, the university intellectuals are in a position to help the System play its trick on the young, which they do by steering young people's rebellious impulses toward the standard, stereotyped targets: racism, colonialism, women's issues, etc. Young people who are not college students learn through the media, or through personal contact, of the "social justice" issues for which students rebel, and they imitate the students. Thus a youth culture develops in which there is a stereotyped mode of rebellion that spreads through imitation of peers—just as hairstyles, clothing styles, and other fads spread through imitation.

>politicized scientism

>"throw all the agw theory deniers in jail!"
>"preborn children aren't human"

useful idiots will defend this

>punishment for religious heresy: shunned by your peers and stripped away of some your abilities to work within the institution or fully kicked out (possibly killed)
>punishment for deviating too much with your research: shunned by your peers and stripped away of some your abilities to work within the institution or fully kicked out
>Horrible metaphor
No, you just don't get it.

that everything occuring behind the money and power scenes and thus actually important is "lol unscientific" so faggots like us are ostracized because we're tinfoil-hat-wearing lunatics divorced from reality

>kicked out
>killed
Yeah, user. I don't get it. I just don't get it.

>Unironic Dawkins posting

and how exactly do you prove that?
let me guess, scientifically?

Prove what.

>Metaphors can't be hyperbolic
You're literally making me argue semantics with you. Be fucking done.

Based Dawkins

Science is based on math which involves the use of disgusting arab and poo shapes. Even shitposting here involves those filthy, barbaric scribbles. Patricians must adopt a white man's notation. Roman numerals. Noble numbers.

Believing every study, no motivation to think on your own because you defer your thinking to "scientists", believing none are politically motivated, believing all in the field are competent

the desirability of science
"doing" science still requires a leap of faith

Bananas for niggers

kek

Mindlessly stupid. Science is the biggest and most potent critic of the System! Even those parts of Science that do grovel before the Dollar-god are themselves uniquely susceptible to rogue scholars who are under no such leashes. The online universities HAVE no systemic leash because most of their faculties are independent and self-contained nuclei of scholarship, untethered to the corporate money-tit, unbeholden to university comity, utterly unguarded and violently independent. You simply know not, and should admit as much.

>TFW science is essentially a religion at this point

All science is based on fundamentals that don't need to pe brown right just because they are. How is that different than God ohh it's not.

I already told you it's a horrible metaphor. The problem with religion's treatment of heretics is killing. If they didn't kill/hurt, it would all be fine. You claim that the statement about heretics in science is just a harmless metaphor, but all it does is mislead people who read your posts.

It's different because you're free to pick whichever set of axioms you agree with at any moment, unlike religion, where choosing to stop believing is treated as an act of aggression.

I don't get it. What leap of faith is required to "do" science?

>>belief is a beneficial human evolutionary trait

>Under precisely what circumstances, Darwin?

Two cavemen go out hunting one day.
A sabertooth pounces at them from the underbrush.
Luckily, both haul ass fast enough to not become it’s dinner

The two go hunting together a few days later.
One is noticeably more nervous. He twitches and starts to run every time a branch moves, whether there’s wind at the moment, or not.
The other laughs at him. There is no threat as far as his eyes can see.
Near dusk, a branch moves. The scaredy-cat shits his loincloth and runs for the caves.
His friend laughs at him, until he notices the tiger from the corner of his eye.
He runs, but it’s too late.
The nervous caveman fucks his mate later that evening, while the sabertooth is digesting it’s meal.
The nervous caveman gets up the next day, fucks his mate, then goes and fucks his friend’s mate, and his daughter as well.

For a modern day example, I believe my truck is in my driveway right now. The last time I looked at it was over 5 hours ago. From where I sit, I can’t prove it’s there. But I believe thatit is. I want to believe it it’s there. It could have been stolen 4 hours ago, for all I know right now.
I’ve never been robbed while putting gas in my truck. But I’ve been approached by some shady niggers multiple times while re-fuelling. I’ve also read stories of people who were murdered and robbed while getting gas. So I look at my surroundings when I stop to buy gas. I keep my hand near my pistol while doing so. Again, I’ve never been robbed at a gas station, but I BELIEVE it could happen, so I’m always vigilant.

I don’t have to outrun the bear user, I just have to outrun you.

>he didn't google the quote
>I've been gone for so long that no one remembers these images
Does this mean I'm an old fag now?

Science can use math, but can also use algorithms, statistics, formal logical discourse, pedantics, semantics, ridicule, scorn, the highest mockery imaginable, even simple diagrams, or mere pattern-recognition and an ability to identify habits. Science is not merely numbers; Science is the ongoing and growing ability to eliminate wrong ideas and bullshit through appeal to an ever-growing and ever-changing arsenal of interrogatory techniques.

>Science is the ongoing and growing ability to eliminate wrong ideas and bullshit through appeal to an ever-growing and ever-changing arsenal of interrogatory techniques.
lol

Probably, dude.

>Science is the ongoing and growing ability to eliminate wrong ideas and bullshit through appeal to an ever-growing and ever-changing arsenal of interrogatory techniques.
Agreed with . This is one of the most autistic things I've read all night.

the desirability of the scientific method in light of its goals
you're assuming that method works, and the only way to prove that would be either circularly though itself (thus proving nothing) or just assuming it does

Scientific method is a meme. Science existed long long long before 17th century.

And yet....the Priesthood of Ph.D.s, to which I am an initiate are pruning, and will ever continue to prune, unworkable hypotheses about the nature of reality from social and cognitive discourse. With the brain you brought you probably never stop laughing. Laughing at the wrong times suggests mania or far worse, dudelet.

So what's the Trump theory of Gravity, gumpling?

is anyone enjoying these?