Botswana

What's the best African nation and why is it Botswana?

So I just got back from Botswana after a year and a half of living there. I was extremely fucking nervous before going but it was worth it because I also got to participate in research I was really interested.

To start off I am a white American male, so maybe I was some "novelty" to the people there but I don't think so because they treated their family and friends the same as they did. Same with strangers.

The people are fucking awesome. Super friendly. I got invited to more dinners and lunches than I can count.

The city of Gaborone was also a fucking shocker. I remember being shocked that it was actually clean, DEVELOPED, and not cluttered to fucking shit. Turns out that's because only 2 million people live in Botswana, a country the size of Texas.

90% of Gaborone are comfy as fuck suburbs. There is only 1 real ghetto, and it's not a slum. The city doesn't do much in terms of landscaping but they keep the roads paved, keep the crime low / police happy, and pick up the trash. That's all you can really ask for, I guess. The houses are all built nice and are the same quality you find in states like New Mexico. In fact, Botswana is a safer New Mexico, imo.

cont next post

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gmRlyyLaHhY
youtu.be/GR70byTwMOs
youtu.be/hPe4aizlz9U
youtu.be/0rS5CDHcV4c
youtu.be/XrBNfKpn5Ms
youtu.be/f-Zma3SJz5Q
youtube.com/watch?v=ME9JoMnZuyE
thebe.co.bw/real-estate-properties/houses-flats-apartments-for-sale
youtube.com/watch?v=skXyy029gmk
youtube.com/watch?v=076N6Xu8fGc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

But to get back to the people: the other refreshing thing about the people of Botswana is that 1) they speak English but more importantly 2) only a few of the people subscribe to the African American hip-hop sub-culture (although it does exist, albeit in a healthy # of the people and not some obsessive crazy amount of them).

Rock N Roll and Metal are surprisingly more popular genres. Also R&B and singy stuff like that. Hip-hop is pretty underground, and you will only find "rap kids" in the same way you'd run into goths at the mall in USA.

Here are some proofs:
>Music
youtu.be/gmRlyyLaHhY
youtu.be/GR70byTwMOs
youtu.be/hPe4aizlz9U
youtu.be/0rS5CDHcV4c
>Gaborone
youtu.be/XrBNfKpn5Ms

Botswana was a fucking trip. It was refreshing to see Africa actually be successful. Namibia is also great (and hot ass German girls still live there.) Gaborone was so fucking chill. I miss it lads

Will bump with pictures and shit

Botswana and, to a lesser extent, Namibia are African unicorns. They aren’t plagued by the dysfunction that occurs in the rest of the continent. Botswana is also one of the few African countries that are mostly ethnically homogeneous.

How bad are the bugs?

Are there any other animals that kill people regularly?

How bad is the poverty? Homeless ppl?

Best food?

>What's the best African nation and why is it Botswana?

>what's the best STD and why is it syphilis?

wasnt Xi! Xao! or whatever was his name from that movie from Botswana?

Houses look like this, in Gaborone.

You can go on to Google Earth and street view all the suburbs.

How it works really in Botswana is that your house is built on a plot of land and then you build a wall around your entire house and your property that goes nearly to the street but is separated from the street by a bit of land.

Your garage is also typically surrounded by this wall so you always leave and enter through a gate, and it is like this for everyone.

Like I said though the city government does really landscape or put sidewalks down, they just keep the roads paved and clean and collect the trash, which is enough imo. Because the cops do a pretty good job and are not really corrupt so you don't have to worry about crime too much.

DOESN'T really landscape or put sidewalks down**

Amateur tour video of Gaborone:
youtu.be/f-Zma3SJz5Q

That house looks like it can be in SA with the pallisade and electric fence. I always thought that the crime rate in Botswana was fairly low. Are house burglaries a significant issue?

I prefer Ethiopia is the only sub-Saharan nation with a beautiful culture.

>What's the best African nation and why is it Botswana?

It's not, they're landlocked.

>How bad are the bugs?
Not bad, what you would expect from say California.

>Are there any other animals that kill people regularly?
No, unless you somehow find yourself lost far into the remote wilderness.

>How bad is the poverty? Homeless ppl?
Poverty is there but you don't find it unless you go to it. There's no slums (like you'd imagine in the African sense) but there are ghettos, and 1 is really the only "well known" one. Otherwise I'd say the spread of wealth is fairly spread although inequality exists and there are homeless people but you find that in any city.

Crime is what matters and you are pretty much safe unless you roll with the wrong crowd.

>Best food?
Well you can basically find all the major ethnic cuisines in Gaborone. (Chinese, Italian, American, Indian, etc.) But if you are meaning a regional food then probably Pap or Vetkoek. I didn't try really anything else in terms of regional food, because it's all just made out of corn or something. But Pap and Vetkoek are fine.

Here is a video of some dude flying his drone over Gaborone suburbs:

shit, you are right, that is a house from za

pic related is one from bw

check out this website, it gives you a good idea:
thebe.co.bw/real-estate-properties/houses-flats-apartments-for-sale

I thought the ottomans invaded this place

>G4S
I can see they started importing fraud and corruption from UK.

forgot pic.

But yes if you are curious how Gaborone actually looks just watch these 2 videos:

youtu.be/f-Zma3SJz5Q

1:41 Two white people wandering along the road...

Yeah man, there's a nice small community of white diaspora. Mainly Rhodesians, South Africans, and Namibians and then guys like me. I dated both a Namibian and South African while there.

Botswana higher end women are good fucks.

actually I think that house is from bw. I guess some people prefer it, to have the wire but it's not common.

Get some African puss my guy?

How many locals did you fuck?

Nope. I was pursued a bit though, I just couldn't. There was one girl I tried to that was a black girl but the most we did was makeout and she gave me a bj, and that was right around when I first got there. After that basically anytime I ran into a white person I talked to them, so eventually I found a small group

Maybe electric fencing is merely a status symbol in Botswana? Here it’s obviously more of a necessity. Did you go up to the Okavango? That’s still a trip I’d love to make.

what kinda research did ya do?

I visited Botswana a few years back. It's a beautiful country and I found everyone was very friendly, although as a white person I chalked that one up to the "tourist-with-money" phenomenon that I experienced elsewhere in Africa.

Botswana is the one country that made it. I'm rooting for them not getting into some useless shit like basically all countries in the region. What's the difference between it an other former British colonies in Africa?

Botswana rap: youtube.com/watch?v=skXyy029gmk

Compared to other Africa pic/vid, this one looks liveable by my standard.

Botswana is pretty much ethnically homogeneous whereas the rest of Africa is a bit of a multicultural shit show. The colonial powers drew up borders with scant regard to ethnicity which set the precedent for future conflicts. Botswana also has diamonds and managed to avoid the resource trap.

You have to understand that this is seen as ridiculous as fuck to most people in Botswana. Even a lot of the youth

It's pretty catchy desu

it's currently getting culturally enriched albeit with asians, indians, and whites.

And intermarriage between Batswana and the immigrants is also fairly common. Dunno if that has to do with Khama that was married to an Anglo which destigmatised miscegenation.

Lul, never seen this one before:

youtube.com/watch?v=076N6Xu8fGc

post yfw namibia tries to divert the okavango

is Africa as bad as Sup Forums makes it out to be?

>Africa is one place

just the non-british colonies

I didn't pay attention to Botswana until Top Gear. Turns out for a time it was the fastest developing country in the world, it's economically free but an article from a few years back talks about the dangers of growing government so I wonder how that ended.

Sounds like average hip hop to me

Africa is a fairly complicated place. Some countries are deeply fucked and others are pottering along nicely, albeit on a uniquely African pace.

Screenshot. Thanks

M8 nobody talka shit on Botswana

This map always fucking haunts me as my grandparents were all part of the "10 pound pom" scheme where Brits relocated to Australia/New Zealand post WWII. Why am I haunted you ask? Well at the exact same time a large number of whites also relocated from Britain to Rhodesia and South Africa. So every time I see these maps I am reminded how my family's entire existance could have been totally fucked if they saw Africa as as a greater adventure. I also imagine there is a fair share of whites in Southern Africa forever screaming "WHY DIDN'T YOU PICK AUSTRALIA OR NEW ZEALAND YOU AUTISTIC FUCKS REEEEEEEEEEEE"

I think a bunch of them later emigrated to Canada or other places. Happened to Ferguson's family. Perhaps Africa isn't a place for whites though some countries like Angola have milder climate.

Civilization is measured by basic necessity.

Need to ask OP how the tap water (direct drink or ....), electricity (blackout n reachable by all), communications (covered area), public service and works, roads, utilities etc etc.

Just saying

it's just not popular. closing thing to hip-hop that you will and and that is popular is the music this guy is listening to in his car:

youtu.be/f-Zma3SJz5Q

Also one of the hidden gems of Africa is the Victoria Falls - Livingstone - Kasane area that runs along Cuando river. I could spend a year there

OP how is Botswana's trade with other nations? Someone mentioned diamonds, what else do they export? Should I get somebody to look into increasing our trade with them?

The vast majority of it is a shithole. The only livable places are parts of South Africa and the Maghreb, and Botswana.

Be my ancestors in 1600s/1700s Europe
>weather sucks
>another village/town/city wiped out by the plague
>napoleonic wars raging
>Huguenots persecuted for their beliefs
>fuckthisshit.jpg
>go to docs in Rotterdam
>boats to every conceivable corner of the world
>choices include America/Aus/Canada
>choose the boat to Africa

80% of the country are in the Tswana ethnic group. The homogeneous population enabled the country to develop with minimal civic conflict

Safest trip along the coastline.

Clearly sometimes the safest choice isn’t necessarily the most prudent choice.

Southern part of Africa can prosper and not be shit, but the elected leaders are absolute garbage. Zimbabwe might ironically become a better country now after Mugabe got the boot.
The new Zim government
>open economy
>ditching black nationalist economic policies
>inviting whites back (Chris Mustvanga is in charge of that)

>Gaborone
Watching pictures in google I must admit that african city is more european than motherfucking russia. Do you faggots still like poutine?

Their economy is pretty much based on diamonds, high end tourism and cattle farming. There is very little industrialisation and the economy isn’t very diversified.

No one could have anticipated communism and how it utterly destroys everything it touches.

But the Carter admin let it fuck up Africa good. There were plenty of times to stop Africa from getting fucked and the UK and US got cucked.

pic related makes me kek every time

thanks

Add this to the list

done

bump