On: Waifuism and how Evangelion Spurns "Otaku"

It's not news to anyone that Neon Genesis Evangelion's Hideaki Anno is very critical of Otaku culture and that his attempts at nurturing his audience have been, by fault of either the audience or his clunky, hamfisted and overall misguided means of doing so, less than successful.

The feature length alternate ending to the series, aptly titled "The End of Evangelion", is often (and correctly) cited as the most egregious example of this kind of criticism. Right out of the gate it starts viciously lampooning the "Mega Fan" with a scene of protagonist Shinji Ikari having masturbated to completion over Asuka Langely Soryuu's comatose body. The idea of the Mega Fan's appreciation of female characters amounting to little more than depraved sexual longing, obsession and entitlement towards that character is reinforced later in the film.

To keep this post short, I'll cut to the point; I think it's safe to say that yes, at its core being a Mega Fan or an "Otaku" is more about obsession and entitlement than really, genuinely, liking something. I'm not really interested in discussing that. However, I don't see any harm in feeling a sexual attraction towards the vast majority of female characters in fiction or well, women. I don't think desire is a form of objectifying women; that kind of thing has to come from action or a certain series of actions.

Shinji oversteps his bounds whacking it to Asuka, yes. But the sexual inclinations he felt towards her weren't intrinsically wrong; were they?

(Continuation)
To continue, I don't think it's a bad thing to like a female character in a work of fiction solely because of a surface level attraction to them. I don't think there's a lot of harm in that, especially when more often than not, they're designed to be attractive and to elicit that kind of reaction in the audience.

I suppose what I'm asking here isn't so much "Is having a waifu really wrong?"

What I'm asking is, "What's wrong with wanting to fuck 2D girls? Sure they're not real, but that's what masturbation is for."

Asuka wasn't pure-blooded Japanese so Shinji shouldn't have felt an attraction to her.

tl;dr.

tldr

Raphiel best girl

tl;dr
Asuka > Rei, debate me.

Who the fuck is Raphiel, retard? That's Ramiel.

>The feature length alternate ending to the series, aptly titled "The End of Evangelion", is often (and correctly) cited as the most egregious example of this kind of criticism. Right out of the gate it starts viciously lampooning the "Mega Fan" with a scene of protagonist Shinji Ikari having masturbated to completion over Asuka Langely Soryuu's comatose body. The idea of the Mega Fan's appreciation of female characters amounting to little more than depraved sexual longing, obsession and entitlement towards that character is reinforced later in the film.

>I don't think desire is a form of objectifying women
>What I'm asking is, "What's wrong with wanting to fuck 2D girls? Sure they're not real, but that's what masturbation is for."
Where do you think you are? No one here gives a shit.

Everything about that post makes it clear that he's new as fuck and mistook this for MAL or something.

>"Is having a waifu really wrong?"
nigga you high it's just memes goddamn

Waifus are not memes, retard.

>Waifus

what if I "bust it" to Rei instead?

sauce?

>Last updated: 2 years ago

Trust me user, you don't want to get that sauce.

What, you want me to use "waifu" as the plural? It's literally an English word that a bunch of English speakers gave a new meaning to while writing it to imitate a Japanese accent. There's no reason it shouldn't follow English pluralization.

i do..

waivesu?

Honestly bitching at otakus to man up and go marry a nice girl and work to death is not going to work, the issues in the japanese society that made those guys become otakus in the first place are still there.

Why you used a touhou for your post?