Shows Sup Forums tricked you into watching

I'll start

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=npLVlJTH_mk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What trickery did Sup Forums employ?

All of them. All anime is bad.

The filter is working

Not the same user but Sup Forums told me it was good and had a subtle character developing.
At the end all I got faggots spewing bullshit and boring mysteries.

This but unironically.

Evangelion

why would you watch anime for the story?

this

Yes, the filters were working alright. They made sure to shove plenty of filtered shots in your face the first episode

Konosuba

Pokemon XY.

Basically every KyoAni show since Nichijou.

HxH
Its generic shonen shit

Thank you.

KyoAni actually has a lot of talented staff and you can see their passion in their works. They should hire the plebs from Sup Forums to work there for a day, maybe you will stop spreading bullshit then if you think its so easy. No appreciation for stellar direction, camera movements, editing, cuts, transitions, visual direction. Muh cute girls, muh no story putting on pedestal. Plebs indeed.

Flip Flappers.

The show is a high iq test.

You didn't make the cut.

Best to keep watching your generic shonen.

None of that matters when the writing is shit.

KyoAni is the best at TV animation without question. The problem is they suck at telling a story and developing characters. And their storyboard direction is also lacking. Usually consisting of very wide shots (to emphasize the amazing animation) but with little variety. So you have 20 minutes of characters sitting at a table talking. Then suddenly 1 minute of a foreshortened character walking under a limbo pole.

In other words, they are the prime example of how even a animated show needs more going on than just good animation. It needs a strong plot, strong characters and variety.

Nope, the presentation is very important. Anime is a visual medium. And their scripts, while not amazing, are still solid, The direction and everything brings it even a notch up.
But if you like scripts then go read some classic books pleb and stop shitting on cartoons for kids, because thats an achievement in life. Shitting on cartoons for kids. This will make your future girlfriend wet. Not.

>Anime is a visual medium
So you just watch everything on mute with no subtitles then?

>writing
>such buzzword, much wow
>you are the prime example of baby's critic first words, learn more about animation and critiquing in general

I heard it was an original masterpiece

It wasn't that but it was pretty good regardless

>Anime is a visual medium.
So is cinema and no one defends KyoAni-tier shitty scripts in real films.

Learn to green text newfag.

Dumb comment is dumb.

Getting tricked by VP doesn't count

Your script is shitty. You are here on an anonymous forum shitting on cartoons for kids. Your life is shitty if you have nothing better to do than complain about an animation studio in Japan that makes cartoons for kids on an internet board where you are hiding ur username. Your life is complete.

The only dumb comment here is the one saying that a show doesn't require a good script in order to be good because anime is a "visual medium" whatever the fuck that even means.

Although it's no surprise that someone who thinks good scripts aren't required for a show to be good likes garbage like Hyouka. If you think that writing doesn't matter in anime, then of course you'll enjoy a show with shitty writing.

Whatever help you sleep at night.

user, I dont know if your lost, but please dont tell me Sup Forums actually thinks cinema is some paragon of writing, especially recently. The amount of "shitty scripts" that get greenlit isnt even funny anymore, it looks like people just stopped trying and would rather use pre-exsisting IP to sell their work.

You can add all the editing techniques in the world to footage of a guy taking a dump, but in the end of the day you watched crap. Anything that's actually good has script as its priority, doesn't matter the medium.

I never said it doesnt matter. I said visuals are important too, because anime is a visual medium. I dont take seriously people who put only script on pedestal. Or story or whatever. Anime doesnt even need to have a story to be good. The ideas, exploring things, the direcction, presentation, characters are what makes something truly stand out for me. Prime example of this: Aria and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

No one mentioned Sup Forums.

This is some good bait.

You seem to think scripts and stories are the same thing. I think you ought to educate yourself before you engage in this discussion again.

I did. Because you seem like a cross boarder.

Most of the best anime out there dont even have a amazing story or an amazing script. In fact, they are pretty simple: Aria, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Haibane Renmei, Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong etc.

Script OR story. Not the same thing. Never said it is.

This fucking garbage. I didn't even have high expectations because
>Mecha batlle harem
But goddamn it wasn't even half as good as IS.

The story and characters fall under he script. How well they are written. So its not exactly the same, but not that different either.

Only saw TTG and Ping Pong, and those actually have good scripts. You're just proving my point. Compare those Yuasa shows to Kaiba, his other show that had its writing deteriorate in later episodes.

>Anime is a visual medium.
agreed so naruto is the best anime ever

Serial Experiments Lain, Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze, Kara no Kyoukai, Madoka Magica.

Most of this stuff. Boring and dark and edgy. Watching them was really dull and uninteresting.

See Every TV show, even animated, needs more to it than just amazing visuals. KyoAni basically has the same problem Lucas had with the Star Wars prequels. Focused so much on trying to do visually what he thought the audience wanted and not what would tell a good story. Replace lightsabers and CGI aliens with Ahoge and big tit girls.

but DUDE anime is a VISUAL MEDIUM so visuals are the most important thing

Fuck it Hyouka thread?

Best arc was the Hyouka arc. Then the Movie arc.

I'd put the movie arc up higher but I was so close to getting solving the mystery but I didn't ask the right questions, and that stone cold bitch pissed me off. Hyouka at least had one heck of satisfying closure even though I was about ready to smack Chitanda for dropping such a stupid question on Oreki.

Oreki: What's the problem?
Chitanda: My uncle told me a story. And I cried. Why did I cry?
Oreki: ...I got out of my bed for this?

>Fuck it Hyouka thread?
no that's not what this is retard

Because Yuasa sucks as script writer (Kaiba and Kemonozume), but he is a good director and with his wild and vivid style he can bring any interesting script a level above.
Tatami galaxy and Ping Pong were adaptations. You should thank manga/novel authors, Yuasa just refined them with his style, People praise Yuasa way to much, the actual authors of the original work should be more praised.

>MUH COMFY

these, but madoka was ok

>Replace lightsabers and CGI aliens with eye sparkles and moe girls.
ftfy

Visuals are not the most important thing, but they are very important. Its like 60% script (characters, story), 40% presentation (visuals, sound). Even if an anime has the greatest script it can never be amazing, if it has shitty visuals that do nothing and dont fully use the anime medium and animation to its maximum.

I agree that he's far from impressive in writing, but his simple stuff is neat, like his Adventure Time and Space Dandy episodes

Never saw Adventure Time, but heard good things about Space Dandy. Especially season 2. Heard that season 1 is not as good as season 2. And lots of sakuga animation.

hyouka is perfect for vicariously living through the days of japanese high school festival

>Even if an anime has the greatest script it can never be amazing, if it has shitty visuals that do nothing and dont fully use the anime medium and animation to its maximum.
it works the other way around as well

visuals can't carry a show.

that's why something like welcome to the NHK (good story with QUALITY visuals) will always be remembered over shit like phantom world which was good visuals with a shitty story

I never trusted Sup Forums again after they talked me into wasting my time with this.

the majority of day time soap operas have more nuanced and realistic characters than even the most lauded 'intellectual' anime, nge for instance

Yeah it works both ways.
But sometimes there are exceptions. Like if the animation and visuals are really good, like for example Redline, but the script is kinda meh. Its still a very enjoyable watch. Not saying its a masterpiece level, but yeah. I hope you get what im trying to say.
I mean, sometimes the pretty colors and cute girls are enough for a fun anime, not every anime need to have a splendid script or splendid visuals to be enjoyable.

Space Dandy is hit or miss to me, but its mere presence is neat. Don't know when we'll get something like it again. His AT episode doesn't need much context, I don't watch the show myself.

What are your favorite anime and directors?

>he fell for the "Keijo is good" meme

>Everytime it's mentioned anons say it's boring.
Oh yeah they trick you good.
It's a decent SoL with mundane mysteries, it starts slow, but it grows on you and some arcs are really interesting.
Best anime by Kyoani for sure. I can't understand how the same people that call this boring enjoy the snorefest that is K-On.

noone posting boku no pico

disappoint

Madoka
Flip Flappers
Yuri on Ice

Have not seen all KyoAni shows but my favorite are: Haruhi movie, Hyouka, Hibike and K-ON

least favorite: Clannad, Phantom World, Kyoukai no Kanata, Amagi Brilliant Park, Air, Tamakot Market

Still need to watch the new Yamada movie.

I'm still a pleb when it comes to directors, so no particular favorites, but some of my favorite shows are Kaiji, Eva, Dragon Ball, Tatami, LoGH, Monster

Whatever you do, don't watch Chu2, at least not the second season.

>Madoka
>Flip Flappers

No, they're right. Its boring. For the reasons people have already pointed out in this thread.

If you found something to like from it, that's fine. But when the majority of people find it boring, that's people voicing their opinion. And despite what you may think, TV shows are about appealing to the public. Not a museum art piece that only needs to appeal to a handful of rich patrons.

This was neither comfy nor funny. The city boy getting shit on by country-folk premise is consistently terrible.

Do you hate fun?

Both K-On and Hyouka are amazing

And it started fast enough, I was never bored.

Its just an opinion. Different people, different strokes, different tastes, different standards. People sometimes (at least here) take anime way too seriously. They are forgeting that they are watching cartoons and cartoons are meant to be fun.

I think Redline is an interesting recent example of what anime excels at. It goes beyond "its just fun" or anything like that. Its the type of thing I cant really imagine working as well on the big screen, CG just wouldnt feel the same for me. So much of it ends up looking cheap or inconsistent, even after spending hundreds of millions. But in anime you can show a race through a roboplanet milltary facility while they wage all out war on the racers. I havent seen the Fast and Furious movies past few years, but theres only so many ways you can flip a car or have it explode due to the limitations of reality. Thats what people mean (i think) when they talk about anime as a visual medium. Obviously film is as well, but they go about the presentation of story in very different ways. If you think one is inherent better the other, more power to you. All I know is film is probably in its worst state in a while in terms of creativity and storytelling.

No, but I hate shit anime.

>movie arc
It was a shitty arc about a movie where only the MC and team cared hell not even the club cared about.

Anime is niche. It only needs to appeal to a narrow demographic, because those are the only people willing to pay for it. What the public thinks doesn't matter, because they don't care about the medium.
And Hyouka sold okay, would have been good by any other standards than Kyoani's, so it was a good anime.

Watch Ping Pong and Seirei no Moribito. Also if you like Kaiji its high chance you will like One Outs. If you like EVA its high chance you will like Serial Experiments Lain. If you like Dragon Ball its high chance you will like Hunter x Hunter 2011 and FMA: Brotherhood. If you like LOGH its high chance you will like Yamato 2199. If you like Monster its high chance you will like Death Note.

>And Hyouka sold okay, would have been good by any other standards than Kyoani's, so it was a good anime.
But since it had such a huge budget and still didn't do as well as other KyoAni shows, it was a pretty clear indicator that shows like Hyouka wouldn't do well in the long term. Hence why KyoAni started making other shows.

Yeah. Actually japan studios and producers dont care a lot what "western" people think about their shows. They dont care what some random nerds think on a random internet site. You can complain and argue here, but they will still count the $$$. Anime is targeted for japan people mostly.

I've seen and loved all of those (outside of Lain, which I've been meaning to see). I appreciate the gesture though.

>This was neither comfy nor funny

>Anime is niche. It only needs to appeal to a narrow demographic, because those are the only people willing to pay for it.
Side note that has nothing to do with the argument going on. But anime doesn't have to be niche. Its already proven to have worldwide appeal. Japanese companies just fucked up for about three decades selling their shows to distributors and not holding onto the rights themselves. Which allowed the bootleg VHS and later internet to swoop in and fill the massive demand.

Anime companies are finally trying to fix this problem. But its like trying to fix a pinhole leak in a dam after the dam already burst 15 years ago. But Japan has a huge chance with the upcoming Olympics. Which is why I think they're working so hard to market anime reps for the event.

Dont you think that a lot of people put "story" too much on pedestal? Like they go watch a show with a mindset that if there is little or no story, the anime is shit immediatly. They dont even see other things, such as creative ideas, exploration of different things, characters, animation, direction etc. ?

I mean, people often that do for shows that fall under the genre SoL - slice of life. They put the "story" on pedestal and criticize a slice of life show for not having a story, which was not intended from the start. I think you must always judge an anime for what it is and not for what it isnt. I find it kinda funny when people go around watching Non Non Biyori for example and say: this anime has no story, because of this I give it a low score. Tbh, I find this kinda stupid.

Are you not >But when the majority of people find it boring, that's people voicing their opinion. And despite what you may think, TV shows are about appealing to the public. Not a museum art piece that only needs to appeal to a handful of rich patrons.

His post seems pretty relevant considering your argument was "tv is only good if the public likes it"

>Are you not (You)
No, I'm not. I was pointing out that anime could sell better in the international market. Not talking about the Japanese market.

If anime was selling more internationally, there would be a huge change in what sold well. Which is a risk. But it also could mean that a show that didn't sell well in Japan could also sell well internationally and warrant more seasons. A show like Nichijou for example did poorly in Japan. But might find some crazy hype in South America and KyoAni decides to make a second season.

Haibane Renmei and Tatami Galaxy are only simple on the surface. It makes them accessible, which is a good thing. But once you start scratching the surface you begin to see how surprisingly intricate they really are. I haven't seen/read the others, so I can't really say.

How is Tatami Galaxy intricate? I never saw a more simple and straightforward anime ever. Both on surface level and when you delve into it. Its nothing special. The visuals and fast dialogues doesnt make something intricate. Maybe people think the show is intricate because it looks like a hipster show. People overpraising tatami galaxy yet again.

How long are you going to keep this up? I can handle your Hyouka banter but now im getting triggered.

>one of the retards who fell for the IRC crew shitposting

Hyouka banter? I was not talking about Hyouka. Im just asking how is Tatami Halaxy intricate, because its not. Its a simple story with a straightforward message. Just do it. It cant get any more simple than that. Tatami Galaxy =/= complex.

I've actually seen and liked all the shows you listed and fucking hate pretentious iyashikeifags. You getting muh feelz from staring a tranquil scenery is not the same thing as strong narrative and characters. Believing that aria or yokohama have scripts on the same level as haibane, tatami or ping pong is insane.

They do. Especially YKK. YKK has so many things going on, its unbelievable.
youtube.com/watch?v=npLVlJTH_mk
This is a good video.

>pretentious
Just stop posting.

t. kyoanusfag

The wold describes those people perfectly. For further proof watch