How to write a good shonen?

Step 1: Don't write shonen.

Be Mizukami.

One Piece at a time

Read or watch this

Pic not related?

Stands or power levels OP

i need actual things to include and avoid, did you guys actually never thought about this?

Sad thing is you're serious

yes

It needs to have a good story and good villains. No asspulls and no timetravels.

Mizukami's shounen manga is his worst, though.

Don't do battle shounen, and don't write for a weekly magazine.

so what's a good story?

>Simple minded MC
>Edgy enemy who becomes best friend
>MC is the chosen one
>Wins everything with asspull/powerlevel

Ask Togashi

he won't reply

I can tell you what to avoid from my perspective but that won't make a series that will sell good.

I can say avoid power creep but kids love to see new powers that dwarf previous ones.

I can tell you not to have power levels but kids like to have clear metrics to gauge a fight. Having a world where the MC isn't the strongest by default, or working his way towards that isn't as popular as having another Goku running around.

I can tell you to that a good series doesn't drag on for decades. Plan out your story in advance and at least have a goal for an ending you are working towards. But your editor might have you keep your series going long after the writing has been good because your story sells.

The thing is. Some shonen run for years and stay good. Others start to succumb to problems with writing but there isn't a straight list of what is good and what is bad. Your overall package determines what people will like and not like.

What do you like in a Shonen story and what are your ideas for the plot?

I am not interested what would sell for kids/ teenagers, I use word 'shonen' to exclude fucked up seinen things like rape, and not as a target audience. What I like about shonen is lack of mundane, serious, SoL driven stories, a little adventure, friendship, villains. I am aiming for plot twists and suspense specifically. Also I don't really care about powers, they may or may not exist and can't be a core/driving thing in a story, just a tool to develop characters. The length should not be really long, it can be one-three arcs, not a never ending story.

>I use word 'shonen' to exclude fucked up seinen things like rape, and not as a target audience.
I don't want to split hairs here but Shonen can be just as fucked up as Seinen given the right author. HxH has a character with an exposed brain being tortured before a pig butcher kills him onscreen. And how many times has Erza been raped in Fairy tail?

Aside from that you have outlined your interests. Now what is your setting and what is the central conflict? Who is your main character?

Name a single well written shounen manga, I'll wait.

FMA doesn't count.

You already named one.

why is jacko next to goku?

but user...
fairy tail is shit

Jaco has a separate series

>FMA
>Good writing

HunterxHunter

I baka have a feeling rape is worse than getting information out of a guy with exposed brain although it is irrelevant here. But I personally don't want to rely on these things, because they are too far on the spectrum.

Setting should preferably be anything before electricity. Main conflict currently would be between proving one's strength and keeping innocence

Fairy tale has like zero idntity

Ashita no Joe

Maybe. How is this relevant to the thread? Please don't make this a fanboy/hater war.

It has a bunch of plot and backstory though

>fairy tail is shit

Yes, but it's still shonen and has subject matter that OP considers to be seinen.

how about you give examples and at least try to be on topic, or do you just walk around and search where you can put your irrelevant opinions?

Fist of the North Star, One Piece, Rurouni Kenshin, Tegami Bachi. Boku no Hero Academia

IRRELEVANT AF

>Tegami Bachi
Not after that last arc user.

Say it isn't so, I haven't read it in awhile, I'll catch up right now

>rurouni kenshin and fist of the north star
>irrelevant

Ask Togashi.

I mean can you guys give examples, I haven't seen these sereies, unless your advice was watch these specific shonen

>FMA doesn't count

Nice try retard, FMA is one of the worst examples.

First, define shonen.

Seriously? Is this really Sup Forums now?

Lurk more newfag

>Shōnen, shonen, or shounen manga (少年漫画 shōnen manga?) is manga aimed at a young male audience. The age group varies with individual readers and different magazines, but it is primarily intended for boys between the ages of 8 to 18.

Its relevance lies in Sup Forums being an adult site, it just surprised me is all

you are right, this was just a test what's so good about this forum

cya guys, thx for the advices, don't bother anymore

"Shonen" is NOT synonymous with action adventure manga

To Love-Ru is Shonen
Welcome to the NHK is Shonen
Azumanga Daioh is Shonen
Yotsubato! is Shonen

Cool main character which suits the modern time.

This, shonen is a demographic, not a genre. Shit like Death Note is shonen.
If OP meant battle manga, Jojo is the answer. The writing is not excellent, but it's compelling enough, and sets up for it's strongest aspects, battles and characters.
There is plenty of good battle manga out there, is just that you fags need "muh deep" in every fucking thing.

Claymore, Soul eater, Little witch academia.

Fist of the North Star and Kinnikuman are the only good shonen.

BNHA is better than overrated series like Gintama, Death Note, Kill la Kill,.

Konjiki no Gash Bell
Karakuri Circus

Kill la Kill is not overrated. It's not highly appraised last time I checked

One Piece and Dragon Ball are pretty good examples of decent/ok shonen.

They take themselves seriously when they need to but don't most of the time.

Above all else they feel unique in setting,designs, and characters. Though One Piece has shittier fights and slightly more flaws.