SasakI??

So I haven't lurked /a for a long time now and maybe this is an old conversation and if it is feel free to refer me to whatever archive exists on the topic. But this just kinda popped into my head like literally four minutes ago. If you haven't read all of the Suzumiya novels there may spoilers herein. It becomes painfully evident by the end of the final novel just who and what Yasumi is but what about Sasaki? Is she an alternate incarnation of Kyon?? It almost makes sense.

OP here: Sorry for misspelling Sakaki's name twice.

It is Sasaki. Not Sakaki.

And she's just a regular human who somehow ended up having god powers. How ishe got them isn never explained.

You're right, I got the spelling right but the misspelled JPG file name made me think too much about it. Not sure if she's "a regular human" because I'm not sure about that about Kyon either. Koizumi seems to keep going WAY out of the way to persuade Kyon that he's "a regular human". We need more information about Sasaki which I fear we'll never get. For that matter I'm not convinced that Imouto-chan isn't some tremendous force of nature either! (And don't get me started in Tsuruya-san.)

I'm going to bump this since OP is actually trying to discuss something.

As far as I remember, save for her power to make serene closed spaces and her roundabout way of talking, she's a normal human in every way that admired Haruhi in Elementary school and was friends with kyon in middle school.

Thanks but I don't know where this can go beyond idle speculation without another novel or two. :(

I agree but it seemed for a while that she was totally ambivalent about the Anti-SOS Brigade's efforts to deify her. There's just way to much ambiguity still. She, of all characters in the books seemed to just float above
everything.

Sasaki is literally just a normal girl with "Haruhi-like" powers, which is annoying given it's pretty damn possible with how Nagato first described Haruhi.

The entire series downplays Haruhi as it goes along. Originally, from 3 different perspectives, she's the next step in evolution for humanity, a complete abnormality in space-time, and a god-like being whose thoughts affect reality. Then Nagato never mentions the evolution thing again, Mikuru says that Haruhi isn't as important to space-time as others make out, and another god-like being comes along whose even stronger than Haruhi.

>This will never get animated

Must suck being a Haruhi-nigger

If we went by the theory that Kyon is the actual god then IMO Sasaki is Haruhi 0.5. The girl that Kyon wants to explore the world with. But turns out she is boring and lack of charm or initiative as you might say.
In the first episode(chronological order) Kyon talks about moving on from his fantasies and becoming adult. That was the moment where he stripped Sasaki off her powers and unconsciously placed them on ideal girl in the future. This just shows that Kyon doesn't actually moved on from his fantasies. He just suppressed or keep it checked just like Haruhi continuously does in the series.

I'm still not at all sure that any of the named characters other than Tanaguchi and Kunikida are "regular humans". Clearly not the Computer Society President and at least not half of ENOZ!

I think this is largely because over time her powers are weakening. Koizumi mentions this in either Snowy Mountain or Intrigues, but his powers are weakening as a consequence of Haruhi losing hers.

Yeah. That added a lot to the conversation. I don't even care if there are any more anime productions. Aya Hirano is kind persona non grata in anime land now anyway. Would be happy with another novel or two though.

I really like this theory a lot except in some ways this would imply that Kyon is rebelling from adulthood -- going from arguably the most level headed character in the whole whole story to a loose cannon like Haruhi. OTOH, 1rst year high school boys don't always make the best decisions even if they do have god-like powers.

Aya Hirano's controversy isn't what's holding back an anime being made, especially since she is taking new roles still (Migi from Parasyte)

normal girl =/= regular humans

Although you could still argue that Haruhi is still human, both Sasaki and Haruhi are definitely not regular humans.

She's more or less a normal girl with normal goals and normal ideals, who happens to also have similar Haruhi powers. In my opinion, the only reason the world in Haruhi looks normal is because there must be someone else who can percieve things as normal and thus the rules of the world don't stray too much.

The fact that they, the antiSOS, used this as their primary raison d'etre (hiding their true intentions) kinda ticks me off.

I think the primary reason is that there's no Volume 12 yet.

>the only reason the world in Haruhi looks normal is because there must be someone else who can percieve things as normal

That person is Haruhi. Haruhi has common sense, Haruhi understands how the world works. The world is normal because that's what she believes the world is supposed to be like. Aliens, Espers, and Time Travellers only exist because she wants them to despite her common sense they shouldn't in any way do so.

>stronger than Haruhi
Not sure where you got that from. The conflict with Sasaki was that a rival organization to Koizumi's wanted to transfer Haruhi's power to her. Basically, you could just say that Sasaki had potential. The reasoning behind it was that Sasaki was more stable and thus wouldn't unwittingly destroy or rewrite the world on a whim.

Technically he might mean that she's stronger on the account of actually being in control of her powers. She could do anything, while Haruhi only unconsciously uses her powers.

Here I thought Sasaki's closed spaces were always on, but didn't expand to replace the earth because it reflected her inner calmness or some shit.

I suppose, but let's also remember that Sasaki doesn't even want Haruhi's power. She makes the argument that while her closed space is calm, once she has Haruhi's power and is aware of it, that there's no guarantee that she wouldn't use that power to change or alter the world. Haruhi may not know she has all that power, and she may occasionally use it subconsciously like, but her common sense keeps the world outwardly normal. So basically it's not the absolute power that corrupts absolutely, rather the knowledge that you have absolute power.

The main difference is that there's no Celestials in Sasaki's closed space. Also, another way to describe her closed space is stagnant.

Well, yeah. The way I see it those come from the powers that Sasaki lacks, even more since Watahashi used one to come save the day.

>stagnant.
Thanks, my brain doesn't work well when multitasking.

One thing people forgot about God is He/She both create and destroy to keep the cycle going. Haruhi's closed space have both while Sasaki's just remain stagnant.

I'm trying to find Volume 9 hardcover of Haruhi but it's all out of print and when I check Amazon/eBay it's expensive.

I just want to complete my collection

OP here back to thank everyone (except for that one troll) for their insights! Lots of great food for thought!

I only have the first few on paper. The B&N ebook versions were affordable when I got them. That's a while back now though. (There are bootleg fan-translations on PDF out there though ... just sayin')

>I think the primary reason is that there's no Volume 12 yet.
And who knows if there ever will be

If I understand the economics of this (and I could be wrong, feel free to i̶n̶s̶u̶l̶t̶ correct me), the animes only exist to promote the light novels. If there's no new novels, there's no incentive to create a new anime. If he's not going to write a new novel we are cut adrift on both fronts.

The anime were pretty profitable themselves though.

The main issue holding the anime back is the fact that KyoAni doesn't want anything to do with Kadokawa anymore, but Kadokawa will never let anyone but KyoAni make the show.

On Tanigawa's side, the dude is rich enough that he probably doesn't give a shit anymore.

They gave Satelight the Yuki-chan anime.

> On Tanigawa's side, the dude is rich enough that he probably doesn't give a shit anymore.

That might pretty well sum it all up.

She is Haruhi's predecessor who somehow passed her power onto Haruhi. Kyon has something to do with the passing thing.

Yeah, I'm saying post Yuki-chan. Yuki-chan was a relative flop, ratings wise and sales (I think).

So it really all does come back around to Kyon. If he even really knew who he was, he'd give himself, his little sister and his mother (who never actually appears in person IIRC), actual real names. I'm not actually sure that his name ISN'T John Smith but I'm also kinda wondering if he doesn't either. And, going back to the original question, Sasaki is never given any more of a name than "Sasaki" either. You can give a humanoid interface to the Data Integration Thought Entity (who suffered through an extra 600 years that the rest of the cast dodged the bullet on) a proper name but the main characters (and I'm not counting Suzumiya-san in that list) don't get that distinction? (Now that I've typed that, I realize Taniguchi, Kunikida and Tsuruya are not ever referred to by their full names either... hmmm).

Fujiwara too

Maybe I'm making too broad of an observation. Kyon and Imouto-chan don't even have names. We're just never told the other ones given names (assuming Tanaguchi, etc. are their surnames which makes sense in Japanese culture). The SOS Brigade are all fully named. This puts Sasaki kind of in the middle since we know her given name but not her surname.

>what about Sasaki?
Sasaki's identity is best girl.

OP here. There is NO way for me to disagree with you here!