How much Japanese can I learn by watching tons of subbed anime?

How much Japanese can I learn by watching tons of subbed anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_period
youtube.com/watch?v=wq_1p_zcsQA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not that much. Proof: me.

Not much unless you have a very sharp ear or are watching it in slo mo.

None. You'll remember easy popular words like "NANI" or "shikata ga nai" but won't learn any of the characters or structure. You will learn nothing. Start flipping Anki decks.

how the fuck do toddler learns language then?

Been watching anime for 20 years, I know what umi da means.

They go to school.

They don't just sit down in front of the TV with subtitles.

Hardly. If you start learning japanese properly though, anime can be a great helper to fixate grammar and vocabulary on your brain imo

>How much Japanese can I learn by watching tons of dubed anime?

I know a bunch but I have worked in sub groups so I know a little more than tha average watcher. Taking beginner lessons in /djt/ did way more than over 10 years of watching did.

I learned enough that I can watch raw anime and understand 90%

You'll remember like 5 different phrases, and then come to Sup Forums and say stupid shit like "I've watched enough anime that I can understand basic Sol without subs."

I did, that was my introductory learning in the english language

While you'll pick up on some commonly used words and expressions, the language is so different from English that you will never really understand it just by listening. You'll need to study it the normal way, with textbooks and tons of practice.

What was your first language though? You didn't learn solely off the TV.

Kids are much better at learning languages.

Not that guy but my niece learned english from solely watching tv when she was 3. By the time she started kindergarten she spoke it as fluently as any other 5 year old.

it was the earliest foreign language I learned, although I can´t state that watching TV and just absorbing it was a preferable learning process. I did learn some other important rules and linguistics in school, but just watching English documentaries and cartoons enabled me to speak fluently and do proper phrase construction by the time I was 8.
Like this user's niece

All of it.

you'll actually learn something if you learn basic hirigana/katakana playing Eroge with a machine translator while actually trying to figure out what it says.

Nani
desu
senpai

That's about it it

If your native language is german, spanish or italian I could see this working.
They all have similar grammatical structures and share many cognates to English
Japanese has a different order to Subject/Verb/Object, is character based and doesn't share much in common at all with english.

Not saying it can't be done, but it's a big jump

First of why do you want to learn Japanese?
If its for pleasure just get an english to jap dictionary. If you are serious about learning it start by translating texts that way you can understand the writing than afterwards take a class to practice speech

Nani?
Watashinonamaeha Anondesu.
Watashi wa nihongo o rikai suru, anata wa orokadesu.

I can type romanji, that's about it, I haven't tried learning past that

This is gold, like a drunk guy trying to explain how to build a rocket

You'll only pick up certain words and phrases, beyond that not much.
I mean you can definitely use anime as practice by watching raws and seeing if you understood anything.

I can read hiragana and katakana, didn't have problems with the kanji used in mahjong and can watch hentai without subs.
So that's like 1% of japanese knowledge that came from watching anime. Yay.

Amazing
I guess we're all Alice now

I've have only learn Yamete and itai

You can learn a pretty decent amount of conversational Japanese. Enough to use as a starting point to understanding the language and learning more.

a few words

their parents

If you understand Japanese grammar and sentence structure, you'll be able to pick up a fair deal of words and phrases.
Otherwise your screwed.

None, outside of single words like "hai", "nani" and sometimes a name or two. It all sounds like gibberish to anyone who doesn't speak it, as any language does when you can't understand it.

Watch more than Kiznaiver.

Portuguese, a Roman-Arabic hybrid, which is a latin-originated language like german or spanish, script and everything. So I guess it just came naturally i suppose, if you put a phrase of a latin based language next to a niponese one, the grammar-translation method just doesn't work

This.

You need to have a grammar base to make sense of it. I watched anime for years and could only pick up some phrases here and there but after studying the language for 3 years I've been learning lots of new vocabulary thanks to the grammar knowledge I have.

>wa

Probably a few common phrases

Romaji is phonetic baka gaijin kun

>not using superior Nihon-siki

Don't women use watashi while men use horewa ?

No, that's not how it works at all. Most men use watashi too.

>that guy that uses ore or omae in the japanese class

what's wrong ?

well, they eventually grow up and go to fucking school, for one.

The landwhales going on about being a kawaii desoo nay nayko are probably more infuriating to Japanese teachers

I'd understand 99% of churned out modern sol anime without subs & without audio.

And then there's this kisama-yatsu...

More like stupid shit like "I can't stand these fucking memesubs"

They have sponge brains. There have been instances of toddlers learning 3+ languages at once growing up just by being around people who speak the. They're not like us.

Apparently children below 7 can't even understand what everyone is saying.

I assume OP meant understanding/speaking. You can't learn reading/writing from anime. I can understand like 50% of what is said without subtitles.

Then again I moved around a couple countries and had to learn 3 different languages as a kid so I guess I became better at it than most.

>that qt japanese teacher's assistant that laughed at you when you used "ore"

B-boku wa kankei nai...

That's because you know the stock jokes and can actually see what's going on, not because you understand spoken Japanese.

>Actually taking a Japanese class
>Not just hitting the DJT then moving to Japan
>Not being manly enough that using ore is normal for you unless you're speaking with your boss

>DJT
I understand the wonders of self-learning but a teacher, a native one, is better.

Having a native speaker to ask questions to is nice. That's why you make friends on lang8. That has the benefit of being able to ask questions whenever you want, being free, and best of all you don't have to deal with Naruto watching low level weebs.

Like 3 words. Study if you want to learn (and use anki).

After you finish a series you like, rewatch it was Japanese subtitles and pay attention to the sounds. Also try to repeat what the characters are saying. I know it sounds autistic, but it's a good way to learn.

Oh yeah, and it'll also help of you read up on a bit of Japanese grammar before hand. Tae-kim's guide is pretty good. Also spend the time to teach yourself Kana, there's 50 of them and it's not too hard to learn.

guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar

Russian here. Went through similar experience with English, desu.

>that fujo whose badly pretending to be a guy who uses boku

What all those other people said.

Not to mention watching anime is a little different from actually interacting with others in another language, which young children are forced to do. If you were to watch anime, and actually study what they said, you'd be able to pick up basic spoken japanese.

But really, you're better off doing some coursework or else you'll just sound like a generic anime character.

dostedt

>How much Japanese can I learn by watching tons of subbed anime?

Subbed? Next to nothing

You need to watch it without subtitles

Yes

I try not to read the subs when possible. I can understand some basic stuff and phrases. No, you will not learn Japanese from watching cartoons.

Feedback and absolute immersion on a blank slate.

You'd have to learn gammar at some point. I don't really want to read books, but that's about it.
>never tried to explain important matters of rocket science while being wasted
That's exactly how it feels, yeah. For instance as non-native english speaker I struggle to explain things that even slightly involves specialized aspects like physics. FIrst moment you are confident in things you're abot to say, next moment uncranny spaghetti comes out.

If you've already learned a few other languages and have a decent understanding of communication and linguistics in general, quite a lot. About two years ago I realized I could listen to seiyuu radio with little effort, and started doing that to supplement my anime watching. Sadly you still have to memorize the kana and thousands of kanji so it's not quite possible to learn it all through remote immersion learning.

I really hate the fact that I learned math using my native terms and shit. I can easily follow math lectures in English, but giving them requires just that little bit of extra effort thanks to having those terms drilled into me through years of use.

Ore-sama is the only correct way to address yourself. All others are onore, omae, kisama, temee, or anta. The only thing you should say to a proper nihongo is kusokurae and jisatsu wo shite. and with that, you are well on your way to mastering the nipponjin language.

Is it okay to learn Japanese only up to receptive bilingual levels?

Yeah, pretty much this.

I mean how often is "get in the robot" going to come up in everyday conversation?

young kids spend their time totally immersed in the language for a year+ (including during the pregnancy) before starting to speak it
also younger children are just better at learning languages quickly

i still don't understand the meaning of desu
i know ITADAKIMAAAAASU~ though

kaka

The best benefit is probably training your ears to better hear the syllabic idiosyncrasies of Japanese. This should help in spoken conversational Japanese.

I can understand most lewd ASMR videos just from having "learned" from anime subs. Granted, the language is much more simplified. Actually studying a textbook simultaneously, like the Genki series, would probably increase your language gains exponentially though.

My understanding is that children's brains are more malleable for learning things due to their neural pathways not being completely formed yet. I mean, according to my parents I learned english well before my native tongue because apparently as a baby my grandparents would care for me with my grandpa basically cradling me while he would spend most of the day watching CNN.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_period

youtube.com/watch?v=wq_1p_zcsQA

Pretty sure you ain't ever going to use Asuka's sentences with real people, in any language.

I did this to practice
Finish basic grammar and hiragana
Maybe do basic 500 kanji
Then find anime that has Japanese subtitles with furigana, it's hard to find but it's very good practice.
Add all words you don't know too Anki deck.

Probably not the best way to learn but I prefer it over just doing Anki all day.

I know a fair few kanji and can interpret maybe 70% of the text I see outside of kanji dense newspapers, but I keep on dragging my feet on learning grammar. I find it incredibly dull and impenetrable.

Toddlers are fucking impressive dude. They're bloody annoying when they cry but holy shit these wankers are smart.
Some of them learn multiple languages in a couple years.

Vocabulary is vocabulary, you learn it from anything.
Of course, you still have to commit and study if you want to go anywhere.

just read some manga and mine it into an anki deck.

>Apparently children below 7 can't even understand what everyone is saying.
Your child must be mentally handicapped then

What I just don't understand is how they learn that they're separate languages. I get learning shit real quickly because your brains aren't done yet but the fact that I could actually differentiate between the arbitrary sounds that followed eachother in one language and another at that age is fucking insane to me,

I never actually thought about that.
What the fuck kids. Teach me how you do it.

No, you can not.
The thing most people don't understand about language is that it's a two-way system. It was made for communication and not just understanding the basic principles.

It's why 90% of people who take language classes don't really learn the languages they're taking classes for. To learn a language, you need feedback and conversation from someone else who is considered a master or at least adept at that language. It's why people grow up with miserable accents from being around other people with miserable accents.

It's also why college and high school language classes suck dick. They have you interact with other people who don't understand the language either. Then they give you a test which would be too simple for even a first-grader in the country of origin.

You're watching subtitled anime, so you don't even get the benefit of being able to talk with another person. Talking back and having to understand the sentence structure of what you're saying is the majority of language and most of why people can learn it through osmosis.

No, typing random shit in the imageboard doesn't count.

>Watch anime subs my whole life
>go to japan
>surprised to learn that I understand japanese conversations
>people tell me things in japanese and I can reply back basically but they can talk and I can get what they're talking about

I probably should seriously start learning japanese to capitalise on this.

You'll probably learn a little bit of it, enough to get by.

Folks here are gonna make fun of you, but watching TV in your language of choice is the first step to learning a language. Jackie Chan learned how to speak English well enough by watching sesame street, I don't see why learning basic Japanese through watching their television is so far out there.

Course, all you're really learning is stock phrases. You wouldn't be able to read or write or carry a conversation. It's a good springboard, though.

一人の少年がとある少女に恋をします。

直接告白することはできず、なんとか彼女の電話番号を手にした彼は、変な電話番号にもあまり気にせず電話をかけるのですが、実は彼女も彼のことが大好きで、両思いだったのです。このことに気づいた彼は大喜びするのでした。

しかし翌日、彼が昨日のことについて話そうとすると彼女は困った顔をします。昨日彼が電話で話した相手は今彼の前にいるその女の子ではなかったのでした。実は、電話機の向こうの彼女はこの宇宙には存在していませんでした。彼女は並行世界の者だったのです。その並行世界では、逆に彼女が彼に片思いをしていたのですが、並行世界の自分は彼女のその思いに気づいていなかったのです。

何だかんだで、電話で知り合った二人はある取り引きをします。自分のもっとも深く、プライベートな秘密を分け合うことで、相手にいわゆる「並行世界の自分の必勝攻略法」を教え合うのです。

その作戦をもってそれぞれ好きな人を追いかけまわる間に、彼らは自分の世界よりも電話機の向こうの相手のことがもっと好きになってしまいます。お話はそういう恋の本質について問いかけます。

>ケイト愛ってのはざっとこんなもんらしい。

I had a cousin from south america who learnt english literally just from browsing the internet and picking it up over time
Neither of his parents speak english so i don't think he got it from them
to be fair he did speak rather autistic

You can do it now, you're just set in your ways. That's why kids adapt to new technology; they have no frame of reference so they just approach something head on.

That and as an adult you can walk away from something if you find it difficult, which most people do. Kids are forced to learning these languages by the people around them.

This applies to just about everything too in fact. It's easier for an adult to learn how to play the piano than a kid, but adults have a harder time doing the requisite rudimentary practices because they get bored.

I don't disagree with the main point you're making, but the question was "how much" and not "can I become a perfectly native sounding master of Japanese by just watching anime?". Nobody here is treating learning a language like some binary switch from know-not to know.
No method is as fast as going to the country in question and talking to its native speakers, but the question is, can you learn basic conversation from consuming media in a language? Yes you can.

I started to learn Japanese not long ago.
Well you can't learn the characters with anime but I feel like you can learn a lot of day to day vocabulary and names by watching SoL shows for example.

I understand that I can learn languages now, in fact I am. What I'm saying is that while right now I can tell when something is Japanese that I should be saving it in my Japanese knowledge-base, a child with no frame of reference but people making random sounds around it should have no way to label those sounds as belonging to different categories, simply because they don't yet even understand the concept of language.

You'll learn interjections and pronunciations, although the latter comes heavily from singing along with the opening and ending. If you want more than that, turn off the subs.