Is this like Madoka but for smart people?

Is this like Madoka but for smart people?

>lmao dude I fucked a car
>for smart people
Nah.

Madoka is shit.

Stick to your edgy shock value crap.

Pretty much. Utena, Tutu, Doremi, Cardcapture Sakura are the best magical girl anime.

Also Fancy Lala is fine too.

Im pretty sure If I link you a screenshot and a dialogue, you will not be able to get the visual cue from it and the directors intention to it? Does that make you stupid?

Go back to watching madoka, because Utena's direction is not for babies like you.

I like how the guy trying to shill for Utena being for smart people is too stupid to realize how the thread IP count works.

>chart
>its not a troll and actually accurate

>tfw to smart too autistically check the IP count

You're a flavor of the month "meme" spouting retard and you're trying to act like you super smart. And calling someone autistic doesn't make you any less dumb.
Sorry you're too dumb to look at a single number at the bottom the page.

You're accusing him of using memes when you you yourself tried to accuse someone of "shilling" for an opinion? An opinion about a 20 year old show?

Yeah I was about to say the same thing. Except that Sakura and Sailor Moon should be swapped.

>tfw too dumb to understand Utena

Shilling is not a meme word, it has an applicable definition to be used here. And feel free to stop bumping threads from the bottom the catalog.

>tfw no incentive to understand it
I literally did not care about the academy or anything else in the Utenaverse.

1) It totally fucking is, no one is getting paid to advertise the opinion than Utena is "for smart people."
2) There's no breach in etiquette bumping a thread.
3) Fuck you.

I only cared for Juri and the duel songs desu

CCS had a lot more depth than Sailor Moon. Not that Sailor Moon didn't have a solid backstory and universe.

Shills don't need to be paid. Bumping a dead thread with no discussion is bad. You too.

Yeah, that dude totally has Ikuhara on the phone right now.
>What's that? You want me to advertise Utena on Sup Forums again? I'm on it, JC Staff.

You're an imbecile.

Jesus fuck, you're dumb. You do realize the world accomplice does not imply they have to know each other, right? You can help someone without their knowing. Or, in this case, you're just trying to shill that your view about some subpar anime is the correct one.

Just let it go already. You rather endless derail threads with meta than actually talk about the series at all.

>this thread

Is English your second language?

You can't "shill" if you're not implicitly working in tandem with the person trying to sell something in order to entice others into doing so. Otherwise that would just be a little fucking something called "saying your own fucking opinion." Which there's a word for: a fucking opinion. You seem to think "to shill" means "to say an opinion." If someone is selling something on the street and a random customer walks up and says, "this is great!" that doesn't make them an accomplice. It doesn't mean you're helping them. It isn't shilling.

You are mentally retarded.

Valuable life lessons

They were Indian.

No. But this is.

To your average American it's all black guys.

He's even worse than a black, he is - may Dios forgive me for uttering this word - an Indian.

>CCS had a lot more depth than Sailor Moon.

You're really going to have to sell me on that. Especially when you take into account all the canon AU series it has and what happens in them. SM deals with heavier themes in deeper ways, and even judging them purely on writing and characterization I'd say SM wins cleanly. What particular aspects of CSS stand out to you?

The definition of the word was already linked. You are wrong. Get over it and move on with your life. You are austitically obsessed with this. I will not bother replying to you again, because you clearly just ignore everything said to you.

I hope you enjoy having the last word, because your fragile ego is clearly dependent on it.

You are mentally retarded.

>Shoujo
>For smart people
If you wanna compare to see who has the least smallest penis then go ahead but in the grander scale they are all fucking small.

MODS PLEASE

>Sailor Moon
>higher than just okay
Nostalgia goggles at their finest.

>Watch Utena once
>Most of it is a blur to me
>Re-watching it now, having learned Japanese
>Deliberately pay attention
>Realize how much of it flew way over my head the first time

Why is Cardcaptor Sakura so plain? I don't get it.

When does Doremi actually get good? I watched season one and was incredibly underwhelmed. The narrative it attempted to juggle was stilted and an unnecessary distraction from the episode-to-episode character conflicts. Those character conflicts were easily the best part of the show sans the great expressions, as they took a nuanced approach to exploring various issues children face growing up.

But it was pretty mishandled, at least in season one. There was no continuity or payoff for any of the character conflicts aside from Reika, and it took 35 whole episodes for the best character in the series to be introduced (and the only one with an actual ARC in the first season). I would have rather seen more interactions between other classmates in some capacity, or ANY amount of emotional buildup or payoff. It's hard to care about these characters when they are introduced and forgotten in the span of one episode.

And as I said, the overarching narrative was really bad. The whole witch exams thing didn't contribute anything whatsoever to the show and just served to pad it out. The "bad items" subplot was downright terrible and was an overly convenient way to force some magic into situations where it wasn't fucking needed. The ending relied on plot convenience too, as well as several of the character drama episodes.

I did enjoy the show overall, though. The battle for the witch shop and the Onpu plot were definitely highlights. But do I really have to sit through 200+ episodes for the show to go somewhere?

Nah, just drop it. The show is clearly not for you if you dont like the first season even a tiny bit. I liked the last season of Doremi the most, but all seasons were pretty good.

Not the guy you were debating with, and I have yet to finish CCS, but can you please sell me on the appeal of Sailor Moon? I finished watching the original series not too long ago, and I was ready to gouge my eyes out by the time I was finished.

Not that it didn't have themes I could appreciate or anything, it's just that I didn't fucking care at all because the series was extremely padded out with meaningless filler, recycled animations and character interactions, and meandering that didn't contribute anything whatsoever to my understanding of the show's broader goals. It had 40+ episodes but couldn't even thoroughly explore its main cast in that time span. By the time it FINALLY got to the overarching narrative, nothing could make the filler hell worth it. The narrative just wasn't all that interesting, I can watch hundreds of other shows with a more interesting storyline and more interesting themes. Not that there weren't good episodes in there, Ikuhara's episodes are all first-rate.

Before you say "characterization" made the filler worthwhile (as many fans claim), there really wasn't any. All of the interactions, jokes, downtime were recycled repeatedly throughout the show. i.e Usagi having like at least two klutz moments per episode, Jupiter's dumb running gag about her old senpai or whatever. Even Usagi and Rei's arguing got old by the end because they always argued about the same thing.

Does Sailor Moon R fix any of these issues? I've been told it opens on a boring ass filler arc, which has been deterring me from watching it even though it's been saved on my desktop for awhile now. I would like to get through it at some point though, because I do like Ikuhara and I'd like to get to Sailor Moon S eventually. But if the entire series is plagued with these issues I don't think it'll be worth it.

>tfw too dumb to understand Ikuhara
I still haven't watched Yuri Kuma

I'm struggling to get it myself. The most legitimately interesting aspect of the series is the characters' parents and their backstories, but even that isn't really enough to carry it for me.

>when you enjoy the two top shown AND the two bottom shows

Yuri Kuma isn't nearly as well-written or nuanced as Utena or Penguindrum, so manage your expectations accordingly. Visually, however, it's quintessentially Ikuhara to the letter.

>the series was extremely padded out with meaningless filler, recycled animations and character interactions, and meandering that didn't contribute anything whatsoever to my understanding of the show's broader goals

I don't disagree with you whatsoever. SM is my favorite show, but it is filled with tons of stupid bullshit and I won't try to deny that in the slightest. It does help if you were exposed to it when you were younger, not because you need nostalgia goggles to appreciate it, but because it's really a better experience the more you realize the full scope of it, what it's actually capable of and how the different interpretations of it differ. Once you get it and fully understand the ambitions of the creators of the series, you'll comprehend just how capable of being awesome it is.

As an example, if you just finished the first season you would have seen the final two-parter and the conclusion to Beryl's arc etc. The way the original anime handled that is crap. Seeing what the manga (which itself has an otherwise shitty first arc) does here is truly spectacular in comparison and really twists the characters and tests them in ways that the anime completely fails to explore at that point. All in all, virtually every aspect of the series has some potential brilliance that is realized in at least one of the adaptations.

>Does Sailor Moon R fix any of these issues?

Oh, hell no. R is the worst of the lot by far and it was painful for me to get through. S is definitely worth it though, and contains what I hold to be the single best arc in all anime. SuperS is IMO the single most underrated season of anime I've seen. Its hated by most fans, but for the like of me I don't understand why given how well it handles its character interactions. Stars is overrated though despite having such a great ED song.

Hmm... I see, thanks a ton for the response. Would you say the manga is worthwhile then? Could I potentially just read the manga in its entirety, skip R, and just watch S to see some of that potential realized in animation?

>Would you say the manga is worthwhile then?

No, not at all. The manga handles a number of major plot points far better than the anime and provides backstory to things the anime doesn't while givign more depth to Usagi, but otherwise it completely lacks the depth and characterization of the anime and most of it is dull and badly written. I'd recommend its key plot and backstory sections as supplementary material to the anime, but it's crap as a stand alone manga.

>Could I potentially just read the manga in its entirety, skip R

If you want to skip most of R in the anime and read the equivalent manga chapters instead, then watch the original anime's take on S, I'd be fine with that and I'd have little issue recommending this course. For you I'd say read through the manga from the final chapters of the first arc up til the end of R, then go back to the anime from that point.

The fact that there are people who unironically watch Sailor Moon for the plot and not the filler itself is hilarious. Great comedy, great faces, great character interactions, great direction at times and you care about the tacky plot?

>least smallest
is this a nu meme i dont know of

Are you retarded? Or ESL?

>The fact that there are people who unironically watch Sailor Moon for the plot and not the filler itself is hilarious.

If you unironically don't understand what makes the plot good than it's you who I feel sympathy for. The plot and 'filler' compliment each other, and that the plot has tacky/melodramatic parts to it doesn't take away how well executed it is at its best, which is something few anime even aspire to. You don't go into the series because you're concerned about stuff like whether Tuxedo mask and Sailor Moon will really get back together this time, that actually would be silly.

i was gonna ask the same thing

If you are referring to my above posts then allow me to retort; if not then fell free to disregard.

The filler in Sailor Moon is repetitive and boring. There's great comedy, expressions, interactions, direction SOME of the time but it largely depends on the episode director and the material. Any episode personally directed by Ikuhara or Satou is bound to be serviceable at worst. But for every good episode there's another shitty episode, which detracts from the experience as a whole. If you want well-directed and storyboarded comedy, there's hundreds of other anime you can watch.

Fans of the series constantly extol and rave about the great themes the series presents and how it's a paradigm of feminism in anime/fiction. That's what I'm interested in; great chara interactions or the occasional laugh are just icing on the cake because any series worth its weight in levity will at least do that much.

Plot itself is almost always tacky and uninteresting. Not really what I care for personally.

Underated post.

Sailor Moon filler is fucking awful though.

>le my opinion is mature and yours are childish meme

>tfw to smart for smart anime

It's a shame Rayearth never gets mentioned in these things.

It's no where near as good, don't kid yourself.

Neither Utena nor Madoka are for smart people.

I'm sure this sounded badass in your head but this post has "struck a nerve" written all over it.

He's probably not wrong actually, but going out of his way to force the conversation down this route is so ridiculously insecure.