Does your favorite Mangaka follow this rule?

Does your favorite Mangaka follow this rule?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)#Ecology
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's pretty easy to brag about that when there's very little race overlap.

off course

Her art is simply godly. So much thought for each and every aspect of the manga, even for small details.

SEE? SHE IS HALF DRAGON NOW I KNEW IT

Huh, I figured their age difference was more. I guess it's just Laius being naturally tall.

Well, he is a man, she is a woman.

No but I mean, he looked more like 15 or 16 to me in the flashback while she did look around 10.

I fucking love downturned eyes.

Will we ever see Sex-Hair Elf again?

Where did you find this OP?

>(0d ago)

Is that halfling a boy or a girl

teen laius was such a pretty boy

more

this is pretty cute

doesnt matter, still cute either way

Damn.

The Tances are good people. ;_;

So why are kobolds dog men in Japan?

Gnomes are not good people.
There is a reason they were removed from the set of playable races.

>in Japan
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)#Ecology
>In their original appearance in the canon, kobolds were described as dog-like humanoids
It's not just their appearance either.
Their voice is described as yapping like a dog and their smell is "wet dog".

Awwwww

But they were drawn with lizardlike scales, and the art stuck in people's minds more than the text, then there was the whole relationship with dragons, and that's how we got modern kobolds as tiny dragonaboo lizardmen

braids are sex

this, so much

Actual thought being put into design and a distinctive style is the best

I really dislike the generic 'mmorpg fantasy' look like what you see in re:zero and konosuba

Dungeon Meshi saved weeb fantasy for me

Heres the cool thing about fantasy races. They dont exist so you can do anything you want with them!

Why when I was coming up with a fantasy setting, I came up with the idea of turning werewolves into giant spirits made of fog.

Why call them werewolves then?

Cause they are humans who were transformed into wild animal spirits as punishment. I wanted to make them out to be like forces of nature, giant banks of rolling fog with a snarling wolf head peaking from it and paws slamming down on the ground as it moved. It also came with the idea that those who breathed in the werewolf's fog turned into lesser lycans, which were the actual hairy beast men of common myth.

My special snowflake werewolves are just people with magic potential that grew up in dead magic zones.
The magical energy, being unable to leave the body, accumulates in it and slowly changes it. The greater their magic potential is, the more they have to work out every day so that their organs can withstand the forces acting on them. But they usually die around the age of 30-40 because of organ failure. In their society, people without magic potential are trained as sages because they are the only ones who can become actually old.

>Lethal magic
Wow, thats actually a neat idea. All the magic in my setting revolved around the concept of True Naming, really everything did, I adore the concept so pretty much everything in the setting was built upon it. From the creation of the world, to how dragons breath fire, and countless other things.

Why is she blushing when holding her brother's arm?

I know that look.
It's a "don't even try to seduce my brother. He belongs to me" kind of look.

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

A few of her characters have flushed faces just as default

or if you were actually creative and not a hack you would come up with a new term for your new creature.
WOW SO HARD.

there are established terms and names for things for a reason, and while some variation is fine, going too far outside of that variation makes that no longer the same thing.
Ship of Theseus

I think he does.

Because that one flashback of hers felt oddly similar to that scene in the first chapter of fire punch.

Well you got a point, or, you know, I could just not care and do what I want. These are concepts that don't exist, getting mad at people for taking pre-existing ideas and turning them into something different is pointless, otherwise you should get angry at Disney and the entirety of the Christian religion.

Werewolf means Man Wolf. My concept is a man being turned into a wolf, as is every form of werewolf, only the final product is not strictly a wolf.

But what's the point in fantasy if you're going to just repeat the same genre conventions that thousands of authors have done before you? Keeping the same name while changing radical features of an element of the setting provides a cultural context that isn't there when you give it an original name, and that cultural context can be used to enhance the quality of the story. Example number one of this is Lord of the Rings and elves, which was so powerful that it completely redefined the "established terms and names" of creatures that were mostly known as amoral creatures of the night. "Established terms and names" are fluid, and by reinterpreting them you can wind up with a stronger story than if you just go with the "correct" version.

Except Laius is pure and Agni really is a siscon.

Poor halflings.

why not just make something original?
why do you have to reuse those same genre conventions?
you can make great fantasy without relying on pre-existing races and their respective cultures

>Fairies now a days are cute, sweet, playful and helpful little people, usually girls, who flit about and sparkle
>Fairies in the past were horrible little monsters who joyed in ruining people's lives just for shits and giggles

>Elves nowadays are gorgeous, tall, long eared people who are always powerful and magical
>Elves in the old days were tiny folk who got joy out of building shit for humans or making stuff

>Dragons nowadays are large, winged reptiles, majestic and powerful, who can hold great knowledge, immense treasures, and great pride
>Dragons in the old days

Wow it's almost like every modern day conceptualized creature is actually completely different from it's origins

Because it's also a test in creativity. Taking pre-established concepts and ideas and trying to see how you can make them new and different. Thats originally where my setting idea came from to begin with, changing normal conventional fantasy ideas, and from there countless things sprung up and changed.

to be honest, it's easy so long as the hair and face are different

That's exactly what Tolkien did. Everything about his elves was original, aside from the fact that they were long-lived beings who lived away from human civilization. He just called them "elves" because there was a cultural context associated with that name which was convenient for the story- people would read "elves", think "oh, those things that steal children and replace them with changelings", and then have their presumptions challenged when they encountered the elves proper in the story. Thus a stronger story was created. Unfortunately this aspect of the story is lost on most modern readers because Tolkien's version was so goddamn popular.

I think of it as more fucked up, like she's being eaten by the dragon.

This is what annoys me the most about people who insist on calling two-legged dragons "wyverns". It's the ultimate in pedantry because it's being pedantic about something that doesn't exist and still being incorrect.

Why do they wear crowns?

Because it looks cool, just like at that one guy's swag sword.

it just looks like a onesie to me

wow its like they never should have done that because they are no longer the same creatures

and he could have just never used the name elves and everything would have be just dandy because those werent elves

>fairies in the old days were magical tiny people
>fairies now are magical tiny people

>dragons in the old days were big winged lizards
>dragons today are big winged lizards.

>vampires then were people who drank blood
>vampires today are people who drink blood

I mean for the most part things haven't changed as much as you like to say. Yes, cases like tolkien's elves happen, but not everyone is a tolkien: see the Sparkly Vampires from twilight. Change tends to be gradual and natural, forcing a big difference for no real reason needs to be done very well or it'll be forgettable.

In threads like these, we find out how shitty and uncreative most burgers and yuropoors are and why anime and mangas sell so much more than comic and their shitty cartoons ever will.

>Western standards
Who gives a shit about your shitty cartoon artists?

You should be able to tell the characters apart by their bust size and ear position.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but fairies, elves and gnomes were more or less the same thing in different cultures, which got later differentiated? In a sense, Gnomes are now what elves used to be?

Vampires weren't destroyed by sunlight until Hollywood movies needed a non-graphically violent way of killing them, and two hundred years ago they were closer to what we call zombies, without the focus on sucking blood. Most of what we call "vampire" happened because of first the novel Dracula and then the movie Nosferatu.

Also, dragons weren't always big, see pic related.

Halflings, when will they learn?

It might be related to Satan, since when the world ends Satan is supposed to appear as a seven headed dragon wearing crowns

Pretty much. All those things were pretty much all just Fey, which were full of horrible cunts and nice little helpers.

The only difference is that most people with their unique ideas don't get hugely popular.

That's pretty big regardless. Anyway, you're just building on what I said: change happens, it's gradual and it takes a long time or a wildly popular work to get absorbed into the cultural icons. I'm not saying change shouldn't be attempted, but most attempts for total overhauls end up laughable.

Also:

>A former peasant, Jure died in 1656. However, local villagers claimed he returned from the dead and began drinking blood from the people and sexually harassing his widow.

Sounds like a pretty standard vampire, almost 400 years ago.

Vampires weren't even that powerful until some writer decided to fanwank them hard and then these days, we don't take vampires seriously anymore thanks to teenage girls.

Hell, in Asia, vampires are even more comedic.

They can only hop around instead of walking normally.

This is just a picture of some guy on a horse killing some other guy's dog. Seriously it is on a leash why are you stabbing it with your spear.

Ever heard of Degirgu? Or perhaps feydels?

How about Big Foot?

I wonder which term I should use to describe my large hairy man-ape that lives in the forest...

>why are you stabbing it with your spear.
Because it's too low to be sliced with the sword.

>Dragons weren't always big
The life of a dragonslayer is a weary, thankless one.

I didn't say that vampires didn't drink blood until Dracula, just that drinking blood wasn't their exclusive deal. Witches and ghouls and other creatures of the night were also said to drink or bathe in blood sometimes, and vampires were just another type of generic undead until Dracula happened.

Vampires in old days actually came in all kinds of flavors. Some couldn't cross water, some couldn't enter homes unless invited, some you could hold off by throwing bags of rice or beans at them and they would sit there counting all that shit before continuing the chase. Dracula was actually really different from modern vampires, the fucker was full to the brim with super powers and could do anything.

Zombies were different too. In old days some were voodoo creations that were completely unkillable and served the voodoo practitioner rather than being mindless flesh eaters.

Succubi are another alteration. Old days Succubi and Incubi were the same creature, they just switched genders depending on what they were dealin with, and they didn't steal men's lives, they stole their jizz, so they could use it to knock up a woman as an Incubus, and I think the result was birthing a demon or something evil.

>or if you were actually creative and not a hack you would come up with a new term for your new creature.

What the fuck is this? Creativity is about what the thing is, not what you call it. If I come up with something cool and creative, it doesn't suddenly become generic because I call it an elf or a dragon or a koala.

Succubi and Incubi were a really, really transparent excuse for why the kid your wife gave birth to looked nothing like you.

>some you could hold off by throwing bags of rice or beans at them and they would sit there counting all that shit before continuing the chase
And thus was born the most obscure joke in Sesame Street's long history.

>change happens, it's gradual and it takes a long time or a wildly popular work to get absorbed into the cultural icons. I'm not saying change shouldn't be attempted, but most attempts for total overhauls end up laughable.

Thats not what happened to angels. They used to be literal nightmares, so horrifying that whenever they showed up to talk to humans the first thing they would say is "DON'T FEAR ME BRO"

But then they pretty much switched that up all at once and made angels into humans with wings.

The opposite is popular though. Taking a known concept, giving it a new name, and pretending you are a creative writer.

depends on the culture and location of where you story will be placed and the particular contextual background you wish to use

you obviously have no understanding of what we are talking about

Right, because the vampire myth, like many others, is the permutation of many stories of many different demons over the centuries, which became condensed into our modern image of vampire.

Zombies too, though they're a far more recent creature.

Like I said, I'm not against change per se, it's simply that most changes added to powerfully established cultural icons need to be relatively small, or else you would be better served just making up a new beast.

Also Succubi still are semen demons just saying.

Why is St. George such a dick to people's pets

What do gnomes do? I don't see not much difference betweent them and the halflings.

>Me and my son learning to kill wildlife

>But then they pretty much switched that up all at once and made angels into humans with wings.
When exactly? And while angels were described as very non-human, I don't think "horrible" ever fit them. Just awe-inspiring. The fear is the fear-of-god olden people liked so much.

You're joking but that's actually close to the concept of changelings, i.e. "elves stole my baby and replaced it with this one that won''t grow/always cries/looks like an old man", which was a concept invented by rural communities who didn't understand birth defects or the dangers of a limited gene pool.

Originally, European dragons were literally just monitor lizards. As in, normal monitor lizards. 3 feet long at best. In fact, it's thought that dragons got the ability of fire breath after medieval artists mistook earlier depictions' forked tongues as fire and started depicting them as breathing flames. Over the centuries, the depictions got more and more exaggerated, adding "demonic" features such as goat horns, snake tails and bat wings.

Well I'd like my large hairy man-ape to be set in the northern american wilderness. But he's also got WHITE hair, mostly...with FOUR pairs of eyes! I also want my TOTALLY UNIQUE OC to sell really well and become popular or sell it to a production studio...

...so what should I call it???

>you obviously have no understanding of what we are talking about
>You disagree so you must not understand!
There's literally nothing wrong or uncreative about making a fantasy creature drastically different than normal and using the same name. Most of the time you're doing that to carry over some aspect associated with the name, either for straight use or for irony. Coming up with a new name is not more creative in any significant sense.

Most descriptions of horrifying angels come from St. John's Revelation or artwork inspired by it, which occupies a dubious space in biblical canon and should be taken with a grain of salt because Revelation is all sorts of messed up anyway.

I'm not. That is a legit origin for the myth. Similar deal to the Changelings yes.

im not the writer here, you are. so come up with something

Because medieval artists decided dragons represented satan, they were basically devils. So they got bigger and meaner. Subsequent permutation separated the two beings again, though western dragons still remain mostly evil, even if in contemporary times people like them being good.

>Wheels of fire covered in eyes and wings
>Humanish figures covered in wings to hide their face and feet
>This fucker
A lot of old testament angels could easily be converted into Lovecraft-esque nightmares.

Huh, I always associated succubi and incubi with the excuse that monasteries/convents gave to younger members for why they sometimes had funny feelings down there.

Not him, but I'm pretty sure the most commonly-repeated ones (the wheels with eyes and the four-headed cherubs and shit) come from either Isaiah or Ezekiel, I forget which.

Wasn't it originally crocodiles?

No. It was definitely horrible. The literally HAD to tell humans to not be afraid and listen, they were messengers of god. But people would FREAK THE FUCK OUT if they saw an angel because those things were nearly incomprehensibly mindbreaking. Like interlocking spinning wheels of fire rotating at bizarre angles and speeds, lined with eyes or have 4 different faces all looking in different directions yet you could see all sides of this 3d object from a single perspective. Some were like screaming furniture, some were just little babies. Angels, the messengers of God, were NOT shaped like God.

It's all about tone. They weren't intended to look human, no, but they were meant to represent something wholly other, immense and almighty, and as such terrifying. Not something genuinely scary in the lovecraftian sense.

The beings in Ezekiel are never actually called angels, people just applied that name retroactively to them. The only truly messed-up beings to be explicitly called Angels came from St. John.

>Crusaders attack Florida because of it's massive dragon population