Why can't Nips make good sci-fi?

Why can't Nips make good sci-fi?

Aside from a couple exceptions like Ghost in the Shell and Blame!, most anime "science fiction" is just an excuse to have giant mecha fights with some barebones no-effort world building tacked on. Where is the imagination?Where is the wonder?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Io3uS4uA0wI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>excuse to have giant mecha fights with some barebones no-effort world building tacked on

Because they are toy commercials

>Japanese people
>Asian people
>creative

nope

their fantasy stories are terrible too, most of the time, especially when they western-fantasy based

>most anime "science fiction" is just an excuse to have giant mecha fights with some barebones no-effort world building tacked on.

That's "space opera."

>all sci-fi anime/manga is mecha
Watch more, read more, the end.

Japs just suck at world building in general, and it matters in sci-fi more than any other genre. It's not like fantasy where you can just copy and paste Tolkien folklore and make everything cuter.

This. Gundam has been a toy commercial since 1979. Some of the commercials are 50 episodes long and worth watching, but they are still toy commercials.

Also nips have really shit taste, be glad it's not all "monster girl harem in space"

Sci-fi is a pretty dead genre in general. Is anime really any worse

Imagination and wonder are not honorable and looked down upon in nippon society

Monster girls in space actually sounds pretty cool.

You can't really do hard sci-fi in anime because it doesn't appeal to weebs very much

>less escapism, more grounded in harsh reality
>future values will probably not include "muh purity"
>focus on technology and worldbuilding steals screentime from cool shonen fights and cute girls

Add sci-fi elements to cuter Tolien folklore. Done.

>Foundation series
>by Kyoani

I'd even buy the BDs.

Literally when did any country give a fuck about making hard sci fi

Someday.

Most sci-fi is plain space opera. News at eleven.

> You can't really do hard sci-fi in anime because it doesn't appeal to weebs
>anime is made for weebs
Are you retarded?

>Is anime really any worse
Nope, this is pretty much the same shit as when people whine about horror anime.

Japan is good at soft sci-fi, which is about how the setting affects the lives of people. Japan doesn't care as much about hard sci-fi, which is trying to create a world that theoretically could really happen.

It actually has been done, yes.

Yes yes, now tell me how star wars and star trek are the best thing ever.

>THE HIDEOUS STRENGTH
>THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH
It activated my autism.

"That Hideous Strength" is the correct title

out of the silent planet was the first thing to get me into sci fi, I think. That and Starfox.

Lensman>>>>gook shit

Yeah, I kinda figured when "that" appeared twice, while "the" appeared once. Are those books any good?

I've only read Out of the Silent Planet. It's good, but it's very vintage. Think closer to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea than something by Clarke or Asimov. It's got quite a bit of religious allegory like a lot of Lewis stuff, but it's in the same vein as Narnia, if that makes any sense.

You didn't like it enough to read the second book, or there was another reason?

>>focus on technology and worldbuilding steals screentime from cool shonen fights and cute girls

except proper world building would actually allow for more of that.

I hate to engage a shitposter, but you are aware there is a Lensman anime, right?

Read it a long time ago when I was younger, never got around to reading the other two. No particular reason.

Oh, I see. Maybe I'll give it a read, user. Thanks.

inb4 LoG screenshots

Oh wow. Searched for sci-fi anime on google and I'm dying.

no it fuckin doesn't

It does to me.

>Ghost in the Shell and Blame!
watch more you stupid cuck

Try not to overdose on stale memes, friend.

Since you never specified anime, I find it hard to believe that Japan has no notable science fiction literature but I don't know enough to definitely claim anything. I just would like to point out that real hard science fiction has always been the realm of novels and rarely visual mediums in any culture, so your sole mention anime is odd.

>It's not like fantasy where you can just copy and paste Tolkien folklore and make everything cuter.
They don't even do that. Nips aren't into high fantasy.
Their fantasy stories are a copy-paste of Dragon Quest, or maybe some poor attempt at D&D.

Anyhow, as others have pointed out, Sci-Fi is pretty much dead, anywhere, especially sub-genres such as Space Opera.
With anime/manga, you can at least get a good/decent story every now and then.

casshern sins

ww2.

Starship Operators had pretty realistic space battles, it's a shame everyone seems to have forgotten it exists.

>monster girl harem in space
I'd watch it. Earth based harems are old and busted. This is what the genre needs to stay relevant.

planetes is one of the best science fiction shows i've ever watched/one of the best mangas i have ever read. i'd love if it the west could do something similar but alas

>Why can't Nips make good sci-fi?

Japanese science fiction literature can be quite good. The problem is that only a small part of it gets translated into English.

Very little of it gets made into anime of course, but how often do you get to see Western literary science fiction made into animation, either?

I dunno. I'm a big sci-fi fan and some of my favorite science-fiction works are anime and manga:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Kaiba
Ergo Proxy
Serial Experiments Lain
Angel's Egg
Dragon's Heaven
FLCL (+ just most original Gainax works)
Blame
Akira (manga)
Eden It's An Endless World
Battle Angel Alita
Animatrix
Casshern Sins
Some Gundam and Macross titles (Macross Plus, 08th MS, Turn A Gundam)
Planetes
Cowboy Bebop
Texhnolyze Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Star Driver
Metropolis
Giant Robo
Patlabor
Big O
Now and Then, Here and There

These are some of the ones off the top of my head. You just need to look harder.

>SSY
>Evangelion
>Voices of a Distant Star
>Blame!
>JinTai

>muh technology and spaceships
That's why people laugh and call you guys nerds.
Good sci-fi is about people (who are the same as us today), not the world.

I fell for the thinly veiled rec thread, didn't I?

>alien harem
I'd be down for that

Samurai 7
Accel World
Guilty Crown
Outlaw Star

Tenamonya Voyagers

Crest/Banner of The Stars

Irresponsible Captain Tylor

I would like to see more novels rather than light novels adapted.

>"monster girl harem in space"
Sounds good to me senpai

>"monster girl harem in space"
this does sound good though

>What is jojo's bizzare adventure

Nips follow the king nips and copy them.

>OMG space cornelia

Where da green women at?

can someone explain the end of Blame! to me?

Kirk pls

>Why can't Nips make good sci-fi?
Because you're a newfag with no powerlevel.
Watch more anime.
I'll tell you what, there's an anime that features Dyson spheres too.

>Why can't Nips make good sci-fi
They can and frequently do

Crest/Banner of the Stars was the shit. The space combat was semi-realistic, ship design was neat, characters were great, and I was really into the idea of following the story of a smaller, cannon-fodder-ish destroyer rather than a super-special prototype one-of-a-kind ultra-flagship.

Also, would totally let the Abh conquer me.

Fuck you faggot. I love mecha.

I really hope you aren't implying Raildex is "good" sci-fi.
It's a fun series and all, but it's nothing exceptional considering it's literally just Japanese X-Men

And this is somehow worse than being an LN/manga/figure commercial?

Did you forget Planetes m8

youtube.com/watch?v=Io3uS4uA0wI

Does Planetes even count as Sci-fi?

You say it like current Western sci fi wasn't mostly basic as shit too.

I don't know how Lewis published so much.
I couldn't get past page 6 os Narnia given how fucking atrocious the writing was. Made me want to puke.
Tolkien's writing was boring as shit, but at least it was solid.

I agree that Raildex isn't very good sci-fi, but I'm getting sort of tired of people describing everything involving psychics/mutants as the X-Men.

Yes. Kessler syndrome would never be effectively mitigated by manned missions. We would just use lasers to slow debris.

Why wouldn't it be? It's one of the only true hard sci-fi anime I can think of, honestly.

What sci-fi novels would you like to see adapted to anime?

I would like to see something based on CJ Cherryh's Alliance-Union universe, like Cyteen or Downbelow Station. They would be pretty hard to adapt to any medium though.

because they haven't landed on the moon

>most anime "science fiction"
Try reading manga and not expecting low budget night anime to deliver on huge, ambitious world building

Asimov's Robots of Dawn would be perfect. You've got a detective duo that the fujos can ship, and the plot revolves around a planet where everyone is a hikki.

What's there to explain? He found someone with Net Terminal Genes and is protecting her as they travel back towards the Authority or something.

The Warshav Pact had a boner for hard sci fi. Lots of good domestic authors, and lots of Western sci fi got very good translations at the time. Each country also had monthly sci fi magazines that were very popular at the time.

Legend of Galactic Heroes is probably the truest to a novel style Space Opera, which isn't surprising considering that it is based on a novel.

Killy walked until he got to the outside of the City which according to someone is the size of the solar system but made of layers of solid matter. Then he jsut hopped off into space or something.

watch more anime

God, fuck you. Just fuck you so hard.

Dennou Coil had good world building.

Cibo and Sanakan had a child. Sanakan already had net-terminal access in her Genes, and Cibo's level 9 safeguard body also had net-terminal access. Together, it guaranteed that the child conceived would have net-terminal access. Sanakan sacrificed herself to give Killy the split second window of opportunity to kill the Exterminator First Class; where Cibo by then had already died.

Killy then takes the sphere to the absolute edge of The City (which is a Dyson Sphere that has over tens of thousands of years, mutated to somewhere around Saturn's orbit. This is confirmed for a fact, because Killy at one point encounters a space that has the diameter of Jupiter.

At the edge of the City is where the safeguard presence is near non-existent, and the contamination produced by silicon creatures and the corruption within The City also is near-nonexistent. There at the ocean, level, after Killy terminates the final safeguard (in a model similar to him), is swept away by the drain waters into the ocean itself; where life untouched by everything else within the various megastructures is flourishing.

There the sphere removes itself from Killy and travels to the surface, where there's pure air and the implication there is that conception finally takes place inside the sphere and an embryo forms. Then in the final page, we see Killy now protecting the child with the Net Terminal genes from all hazards as they make a reverse journey, in search of a Net Terminal itself, so that control can be re-established in the netsphere and the rampant growth of The City can finally be halted.

This is confirmed to be successful in the one-chapter sequel to BLAME!; Net Sphere Engineer , and then a proper sequel BLAME!^2 which takes place some ~1-3,000 years after the events of BLAME!

>Kessler syndrome would never be effectively mitigated by manned missions. We would just use lasers to slow debris.

The characters in Planetes aren't going after small debris that can be ablated with lasers. They're going after the big debris that, if it collided with something, could potentially PRODUCE Kessler syndrome.

Warshav? The fuck man, either Warsaw or Warszawa.

Also, yes, I have a shitload of my parents' sci fi books and magazines.

You retarded fuck.

Magnetic Rose is probably the greatest anime ever made, and far better than any sci-fi the west has produced in at least 40 years.

So to answer your question: watch more anime, retard.

Dune anime when?

I wouldn't really call Angel's Egg sci-fi, but other than that it's a very solid list.

( ´ー`)フゥー...外人共は好き勝手言ってくれますねぇ…

It's not better than either Alien, The Thing, Blade Runner, Alien 3 or Moon, but it it's not inferior either.

>Alien 3
I see, you're one of "those" shitters.

Post your fedora.

I don't like Aliens really because it's a departure from the tone of the original and it made fucking roadkill of the xenomorphs and it took away from the fear factor and it had a boss fight at the end and I disliked Newt Gunray.

Alien 3 is wonderfully bleak, religious and beautiful, hellish in color palette and somber in tone. So 3deep5you muh man.

Probably never. But the director behind Sicaro and Arrival is confirmed to be directing the Dune reboot.

Dune only works as a 10 episode seies, there's just too much to condense in an 150 minute film.

No sorry, you're just one of those morons who heap praise on bad films in a series because a guy like Fincher directed it. It's also further evident you're stupid given the extent of your critique is limited to superficial praise like "wonderfully bleak, religious, beautiful". Idiots like you use words like that all the time without understanding what complexity is.

1989. They added robots and called it Five Star Stories.

Dimension W majorly attempts sci-fi goodness but the whole teleportation=possibility=human potential=love stuff is clunky

I don't like Fincher and he disowned the film.

> It's also further evident you're stupid given the extent of your critique is limited to superficial praise like "wonderfully bleak, religious, beautiful"
Do you actually expect me to write a 2000-word short essay on a Korean Kimchi House?

>Idiots like you use words like that all the time without understanding what complexity is.
Dude, there aren't enough fedoras in this hemisphere for you to tip right now.

>Do you actually expect me to write a 2000-word short essay on a Korean Kimchi House?
No but you'll have to write something better than if you're going to put a trash film like Alien 3 on the same level as Blade Runner and Magnetic Rose and try to come across as a reasonably intelligent poster. As of now, it's glaringly evident you're both a hipster and a retard.

I ain't writing shit to you you rampaging cocksucker. Have a (You) to tip those fedoras you're wearing right now and fuck off.

Good, so you're a complete idiot. Saved me time.