I'm finally drinking the monogatari kool-aid

I'm finally drinking the monogatari kool-aid
I won't blog, but I'm liking it a lot

My only issue, and I'm sure this is common: How much of the writing/humor/cleverness totally lost because I can't read/speak moon?

Is the significance overblown? Or does it add another dimension to the writing? Are the LNs translated decently at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

myanimelist.net/character/22036/Koyomi_Araragi
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

All you need to worry about is that Snake is best girl, thanks for posting her.

It definitely adds something, but I don't believe it's critical for enjoying the show.

I haven't looked at the LNs so I can't say

Anytime user.
It only really seems to be an issue with Senjougahara anyways
What should I watch after the original 13 episodes?

Watch everything in release order. If Kizu were finished I'd tell you to slot it in immediately before Second Season, but since part 3 still isn't out it doesn't matter much.

You lose almost all the wordplay, it's definitely a better series when you know moon.
this user has it down, watch things in release order, you can find the order easily.

Oh also, OP, read the split second text things. They're worth playing the pause game for.

I started pausing around the 7th episode of the original series. May go back to read it all.

I'm surprised they just speed through them, they have pretty vital exposition

Is most of the word play with Hanekawa and Senjougahara though? The stuff with Hachikuji is pretty straight forward (wordplay wise), and I didn't notice much with Kanbaru or Nadeko.

Personally I can get a decent impression of what they say without pausing if I have my eyes in the right place. I think it was kind of intentional, since they're usually a character's thought process, and you generally don't think in complete sentences.

Just did the reading to put together that snake calls Araragi Koyomi-Onii chan because Koyomi is Japanese for calendar, and the way a Japanese person would say Calendar sounds like his younger sister Karen's name.
So he's "Calendar's Big Brother"

How much stuff like this is just sailing past me every minute.

>watching monogatari for anything but waifu bait

I remember it being neigh constant, with little things. However it has been quite a long time since I've seen it so I don't remember the jokes themselves all too well.

How fluent are you/were you when you watched it?
How many Kanji did you know by then?

Uh, no. Calendar would be "karendaa," not just "karen."

She just calls him that because his first name is Koyomi.

Wow, I'm dumber than I thought
They say his first name very sparingly

Karen-chan kinda sounds like calendar (if you are retarded like me)

>She just calls him that because his first name is Koyomi.
This is true

Just realized that Araragi is canonically 5'4" and 120lbs

I'm not a /fit/izen but man, that is a small guy

Every girl in the show must be like 5' flat

No idea whatsoever to be honest. I don't measure my progress in the things I learn.

But you did learn Japanese.
Was it through college or self-teaching?
When did you start?

Started in middle school, self taught beyond that, why?

Impressed is all, that shit isn't easy. English and Japanese are both tough, achieving fluency in both is a feat

I guess so.

おめでとうございます is about as good as it gets for me.
Trying to learn in my spare time, but college, work, clubs, are all in the way

What? There's now way he can possibly be that small.

If MAL is to be trusted
myanimelist.net/character/22036/Koyomi_Araragi
They ARE japanese people after all

>mfw i just realised theyre called fire sisters because they both have the kanji for fire in their name
was this ever mentioned in the series?

You're missing the time, and I was missing the will, funny.

Hachikuji is that tall?

I've resolved to teaching English abroad in Japan for a year (yeah I know, of all the places to hear that, here is probably the worst), after 5 years in corporate finance in NYC.
I'll burn myself out otherwise. I'm a compulsive student and have a great memory, but you're right, it's a time issue

They're all short.
5'4" is short for a japanese male isnt it?
The average is 5'7" and 1/2".
So he's a manlet surrounded by average women
That vampire "charm" must go a long way

Just hearing corporate makes me shiver, but does that mean you live in Japan? I'm jealous if so, America is boring and everyone only wants to talk politics, it's rather depressing.

There is a big problem with Shinobu. If you don't know moon you won't understand how strange her speech is. Even things like waga aruji-sama and omae-sama.
Also Bake has 15 episodes not 13.

tfw when adult shinobu is taller that you
Shes big for a elementary schooler

I'd be working in New York City at an investment bank (one of the larger bulge bracket ones) for a few years.
Imagine if all the jerks you knew growing up had ivy-league degrees and even bigger egos, put them in a $1500 suit and in charge of billions of dollars and you have my coworkers.
The sense of self importance is insane, it's all politics, ass-kissing and ladder-climbing.

Not sure how I ended up with them all, being a closet-weeb and loser back in highschool I never thought I'd aspire to anything.

I'm hoping to leverage my time there to work in Japan, but the constant language barrier is why I'm so concerned about not learning now.

How do you mean by strange?
I just finished episode 15.
It seems lethargic, but do you mean foreign or slow or what?

She speaks in a very old manner.
She uses old words and unusual words order.

I'll never understand that kind of environment since I play around freelancing for a living, it sounds horrible.

It's the worst hell I could imagine for myself.
The complete opposite of what I envisioned for my life.
I am an enormous success on paper, and a horrendous failure in my own mind.
I had the willpower to keep straight A's, interview, kiss ass, network, remake myself and get a job people in my field fight over
But I didn't have the strength of will to divine my own destiny.

I need to work on that.
If I don't the 120 hours a week mandated for new hires for the first few years will kill me. Or my spirit

120 hours? Is that even possible? I don't know if I should admire or pity you.

During big M&A deals you work 18 hours a day 7 days a week, like when a company buys out another big company, or when two big brands merge. You sleep maybe 4 hours a day.
My apartment is 88sqft, no AC, no private bathroom, and is $1600 a month, in the Bronx, an hour from work by 3 seperate subway lines.
Animu and the chans are some of the only things that keeps me sane.

Like I said, 5 years, then I have to make a change.
Although I said that when I graduated high school.
I changed a lot, but not how I thought.

To keep it Sup Forums related, how does the next series with Araragi's sisters compare to the first?

Ugh stop, 88ft? I couldn't even fit my tech in that small of a space. Though I don't have much privacy either, I rent with friends, ~500/mo for a room in a big ass house.
>how does the next series with Araragi's sisters compare to the first?
Which season would that be I don't know how much you've watched.

Nisemonogatari

And yeah, my room is big enough for a suit rack, a bed and a small desk.
It's smaller than my smallest college dorm room.
I share a shower with 8 other people on my floor.

This is the glamorous life of a NYC banker.
At least until my loans are paid off.

Just got to Snake's first appearance in nisemonogatari

My. dick. can't. get. any. harder.
Send. help. pls.

Just wait for Kanbaru and Shinobu

Please stop
I can only get so erect

Nise is great, the sisters have proper arks in that one too.

How gay is Kanbaru anyways?
She flirts with Koyomi a lot, but it seems to be mainly fucking around.
Is it mainly to poke fun at him or to project some of her desires towards Senjougahara onto him?

No idea

>I share a shower with 8 other people on my floor.

Holy smokes, are you still in school? What kind of living condition are you forced to live in when you're an investment banker?

I can never get into the corporate life since I struggle to dress decently, hence why I am in engineering.

>To keep it Sup Forums related, how does the next series with Araragi's sisters compare to the first?

Nisemonogatari, your next target series, focuses a lot around them. I will also say that the fanservice is turned up 1000 notches. I nearly dropped the show because of it. Only episodes 1,2, and 7, and maybe the last episode were relevant in the grand scheme of things. But power through it so you can watch Neko Black. That arc was INCREDIBLE.

Housing is mainly because it's the cheapest I can live in order to pay off my loans as fast as possible. I could and will move up to a better, closer apartment, but renting in NYC is nuts.
Living conditions are poor for the first few years, two of my cousins who took the same route shared 90sqft with two blow up mattresses.

You fight to get the job, keep the job and exit gracefully to your next oppurtunity.
Your ass could be on the street in a week, easily, so expensive leases, car payments, etc. are a no go.

As for nise, I'm loving it so far, fan service and all. I like the casual stuff with Kanbaru.