How much of the Japanese language have you learned by simply watching anime?

How much of the Japanese language have you learned by simply watching anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/kNurU_l9aHc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What does "korimasta" mean?

I have just learned "desu"

surprising little for the 16+ years I've been watching subbed animes

Cantonese

Not that much, honestly. Almost 20 years and I still have no idea how sentences are rationally structured, so at most I would only be able to parrot out general words to convey how pleasurable it would be to be cummed inside and say goodnight.

Simply consuming media won't teach you anything. Language goes both ways and the best way to learn it is to speak and listen an an actual conversation.

Very little besides understanding how a few formalities work

Fastest way to learn Japanese is live in Japan. You learn real quick when your life kind of fucking depends on it.

Just the basic stuff.

how do you live in japan if you don't speak japanese?

Not much after sitting down and memorizing kanji. So many words sound the same.

Few words but I've been learning Hiragana at a real slow pace. I'm having fun I guess.

You can live anywhere. It's just easier to live if you speak the same language as the people around you.

If you have met expats in Japan before you would know this is not true.

Nani, *blahblahblah* desu ka, sugoi, arigato, gomen, ohaiyo

20 years.

>Language goes both ways and the best way to learn it is to speak and listen an an actual conversation
best way to learn how to speak like an immigrant maybe
>Simply consuming media won't teach you anything.
i got a message from kaufmann he says 1v1 me bitch he'll fucking rape you

Obviously they're not going to learn it if they don't need to or want to. You're missing the point. The FASTEST way to learn it is when you are motivated to. The simplest way to motivate yourself to do it is to tie it to your own survival.

>The simplest way to motivate yourself to do it is to tie it to your own survival.
japan is a very shitty country to do this in because english speakers are accomodated for in nearly everything you might need to do to survive

I am N2, maybe can get to N1 soonish. Not entirely from watching anime but maybe 40% of it (N4 if I never studied?). Also helps I am a chink so kanjis are a joke.

That doesn't invalidate the point, you silly goosenheimer.

if your point is "going to japan is a good way to learn japanese" then yes it actually does
very rarely do expats end up with even passable survival japanese

>I would only be able to parrot out general words to convey how pleasurable it would be to be cummed inside
Please teach me how to say lewd things

Trying to parse Japanese is 90% of why I still watch anime, so a little more than the average non-Japanese speaking user. I'm still trying to internalize the difference between wa and ga, but I think I'm almost to a reasonable level. I'm starting to make some headway on verb forms, too. My vocabulary is complete garbage though, definitely 100 words or less.

That's my point. You can get by pretty easily in Japan without knowing the language. Have you ever lived in Japan?

Nani means, "What?"

It's a good thing I didn't say going to Japan.

I said live there.

I'm on Sup Forums. Of course not.

A little about grammar I guess
I took a semester at uni so I know the very basics, all it's really done is show me a little bit about how you can use some of that grammar, but my japanese is still absolutely atrocious. I really should work in it since all my friends are native speakers but I'm pretty lazy and I'd rather work on my spanish

>surprisingly can follow Galko OVA conversation without subs
Neat.

>ohaiyo

Enough to understand flight attendants & pilots.

>dostedt
Jesus my sides

You can't learn from watching imo. Classmate of mine (just met him last August) has been watching anime for years and can't speak or write Japanese. I took Japanese for 3 years during undergrad for fun and still feel like I still have a lot to learn and don't know. Watching anime is good so I don't completely forget Japanese, but it's not a good tool to learn from it.

Enough to write hiragana and katakana 50 motherfucking times in my notebook you bitch.

This obviously depends on the person's ability to learn a language. It also helps if you at least run through some basic grammar, learn Hiragana beforehand (i.e. go through genki 1-2 or something).

Classes are utter shit for learning languages. You will probably learn more from watching anime than going to classes.

Enough to watch SoL raw, with a few stumbles here and there. Not enough motivation to actually go learn nip though.

>Classes are utter shit for learning languages. You will probably learn more from watching anime than going to classes.
There's a lot of truth to this. Speaking with other students with zero grasp on the language is such a ass backwards way of teaching a language. You're better off constantly talking with native speakers to understand how it should sound and how to get your point across instead of mumbling random vocab to other retards who have no idea what you're saying

>Dostedt was 3 years ago
Wow man time flies.

A little bit I guess + some guesses
Sumimasen - Sorry
Gomen/Gomenasai - Sorry Mk. 2
Konichiwa - hello
Sayonara - goodbye
Arigato - thanks
Arigato Gozay-masu - thanks alot
Daijobu? - Are you alright
Daijobu. - I am alright
Ganbare - Good luck
Kawaii/Sugoi/Daisuke - Cute/Wow fuck that's great/I love it/you
Shindai-you, Shine - Drop dead
Kami - God
Watashi-wa - Formal way of say I am
Moshi Moshi - Formal way to answer a phone
"X" des - This is "Name"
Kore-wa - This is a thing
Kun: Male, Sama: Lady or Sir, Dono: Sir, but less formal, out of date, Chan: Girlish, cutesy, San: female
Domo - Emphatic word
Ichi: 1, Ni: 2, San: 3, Shi: 4, Go: 5, Roku: 6 ... Hachi: 8, ... Ju: 10
Genki des?: How are you, how is your health
O-tsukaresama desu: thanks for your effort

How'd I do moon-tongues?

None, really, other than a handful of weeb words

I'll do better Senpai

I do want to learn

Rude, refine your words, young man.

Speaking of learning japanese. What happened to the DJT that used to be on Sup Forums? Did it get moved to /jp/ or something?

enough to occasionally know what someone says even if I'm not looking at that monitor
it's only short phrases that seem to show up really often in anime

The fundamentals and a little bit beyond that. I probably have a vocabulary in the thousands. I am still illiterate.

I'm comfortable not knowing any because this is primarily a visual medium with visual story telling.
I think if I spoke/read Japanese the feeling of most anime would be more eastern and more of it would be lost on me.
NGE still moved me in a big way, maybe it would have more or less if I'd learned japanese.

Anyone shine some light on this?

Is there any way to learn Japanese merely by audio?

I don't care if I can't read or write. That's how I learned English anyways.

I have seen plenty of people who spend years grinding kanji and but cannot understand anime.

Sup Forums. they even separated into 2 separate threads. one for anime, the other for living in Japan

I feel the same way about half of the stuff I'm exposed to. I know deep in my mind that what I'm hearing is incredibly cliche and unnecessary most of the time, but because I don't speak the language I'm not annoyed by it in the same way I would if it were in English. I think that not being able to understand it completely (in context) helps keep me interested and paying attention. If I didn't need to actively watch it I might just end up half-listening to it while I do other things and I wouldn't be nearly as entertained as a result.

I guess it's like listening to a song in another language. You can't understand what they're saying but the voice is another instrument.

F I F T Y T I M E S

fifty
mother
fucking
times

Well, that's interesting. Thanks.

Depending on the show, a lot of stuff gets lost in translation. You can get a much better feel of character relationships, etc. if you can pick up on all the little nuances.

It somehow became my second most fluent language. I already spoke three languages before even touching Japanese, but Japanese has already become #2. What the fuck.

Watching the monogatari series I knew that I was only getting half the show by not knowing Japanese.
Probably like 25%
Feels bad man

I feel like as you watch more anime and get a better feel for the structure, tropes, relationships, accents, speech patterns, faux pas, and writing you get a bit of the nuance.

Word choice and world play unless obvious are lost, but I think you can still get more out of it than if you watched a dub.

This is triggering me so bad
Holy shit, kill yourself or learn actual Japanese
馬鹿 外人

Why does it trigger you
The whole point of the thread is to laugh at how no one actually learns japanese from anime.
You really got me with the whole BAKA GAIJIN thing tho.

I don't even read runes and even I knew exactly what those characters would end up meaning.

Y A M E R O

YA ME TE

Ohaiyo - Good morning
Hai - Yes
Yokai - Roger
iye - No
nani - what
kore - this
sore - that
baka - idiot
hanabi - fireworks
inu - dog
neko - cat
kuro - black
aka - red
ichi, ni, san - 1, 2, 3
ningen - person
tsuki - moon
watashi - I
omai - you
kisama - you (but like in an disrespectful way or something)
boku - I
imouto - sister
aniki - bro
otou - father
okasan - mother
desu - to be/ is
ka - turns the sentence into an interrogative
itadakimasu - Rub a dub, dub, lets have some grub

i have a vague understanding of the sentence structure, a vague understanding of a multitude of words. No way in hell I could ever speak it at any serviceable level.

>馬鹿 外人
No spaces (substitute dot) in Japanese user and it's not needed here.

Please, PLEASE tell me those are supposed to be pissjugs. This is the 1st time i've lost it laughing from something on this site.

None, but desu I don't really want to learn any. It will just take the magic away from anime.

>spaces between words

I can tell Japs a variety of things that suit my situation, but I would not be able to understand any sentence structure or pick up any words they utter toward me after that. basically I'm useless if anyone actually responds to me.

>iye
nigga have you not been on a single japanese website or played a japanese game?
It's obviously iie.
>omai
oh, you're just trolling.
>itadakimasu - Rub a dub, dub, lets have some grub
6/10

>You will probably learn more from watching anime than going to classes.
>There are actual people that believe this

If this is true then everyone on Sup Forums should be fluent in Japanese.

I studied for 3 years at uni for fun because I made friends in the classes and we all moved up together. We all went though genki 1-2 and intermediate classes and can read, speak, and casually converse with Japanese people. We regularly hanged out with the Japanese exchange students at uni and got our native speaker practice with them. But every school is different so your mileage may vary. I can confidently say that I can take the JLPT N3 and pass it if I review up a bit, but the other friends I made in class have already passed N2 without me. (We were all different majors, I got into physical therapy school so I put my Japanese on hold for the next 3 years)

You are only N3. If you just finish Genki 1-2 you could past N3 and it took you 3 years to do so. Are you proud of that or something?

Some people live in a new country for decades and never bother to learn the language. user did well for himself.

why do nips never change mind to use Latin alphabet instead of using fucking kanji, hiragana, and katakata?
It's 21 century now.

Same reason America still uses the Imperial system instead of the metric one

That would lower their national IQ

Yea, there's this thing call romaji. Turns out it doesn't work and just makes things more complicated.

>kanji, hiragana, and katakata

What are the differences between these anyway?

Is like cursive vs print, or something completely different?

hiragana is like your alphabets. katakana is like your foreign alphabets and other special sounding things. kanji is abbreviation for hiragana, helps with the fact there's no spaces.

Kanji is chink shit
hiragana is OC DONUT STEEL alphabet for native Japanese words
katakana is the same as hiragana but its use reveals that the word is foreign to Japanese

It really does sound like they say dostedt sometimes. Not our fault that their clusterfuck language needs to be compacted to the point where they negate syllables in their speech.

Ah, that makes sense.

To keep retard gaijin out

Watching anime made me forget Japanese I already knew.

So if, for example,in a manga you wanted to show a character is an old man who is a traditionalist, then he would be speaking with hiragana?

I can just imagine some gaijin going around Japan and referring to himself as watashi. You'd be getting your boypussy pounded in a day.

>In formal or polite contexts, this is gender neutral, but when used in informal or casual contexts, it is usually perceived as feminine.

Oh fug

Haha, this thread.

怒りました ( O korimashita) ? I got angry
懲りました ( Korimashita)?
learned a lesson from some failure. I will never do it again.

Every child knows there is only one true way to learn Japanese.

youtu.be/kNurU_l9aHc

oh hey its le cancer girl

didn't she kill herself or something?

I got in 2 seconds before I had to close the video due to the intense cancer I was receiving.

Generally in the west we won't get offended by the things foreigners say because we understand that they're retarded and don't know the language, but I get the impression that Japs get legitimately insulted if you say something off color in your broken Japanese on accident.

No, read that user's post again. It was just funny what he end up saying.

I thought I learned a lot from watching anime, but then I went to an actual Japanese class and realized that I learned fuck all

Vietnam is an example of an Asian country that uses the Latin alphabet. Look how shitty they are.

What did he say?

If you don't understand the sentence structure, then how would you think you learned anything?

Speaking of dumb weaboo sluts, anyone else remember Applemilk?

I only managed to understand a few verb roots and the basic "sugoi" "desu" and whatever that are always repeated. Also words like "dream" and "hope" because those kinds of words are said by themselves, usually in a pathetic attempt to be dramatic but hey I'm not complaining I'm learning a new language.