ARE HEAVEN AND HELL REAL?

Many people might say "well the soul is immaterial, and it's the soul that goes to heaven". But the issue with this is: how does one experience with "a soul" ? We already know that feelings and emotions can be heightened or disabled entirely by manipulating the PHYSICAL material of your body. All feeling can be removed by removing your touch sensors. All 6 of your senses can be removed by destroying parts of the brain, but you will still be sentient - and I don't think christians would claim that a person's soul has left while they're still alive. It's the same with thought - we can reduce your thinking property by destroying parts of the brain, or we can increase it by taking adderall (physical effect) meaning these 2 are undeniably linked to each other.

Bible says in Luke 16:24 about a beggar in hell:
"and he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame."
meaning there's clearly PHYSICAL feeling and emotion in hell. How can these be felt, when feeling and emotion, and even thought, are by definition properties of the PHYSICAL body and ego? If the soul goes to heaven,but the soul cannot be EXPERIENCED, then how is "heaven" different from the buddhist conception of complete disappearance?

The bible also describes heaven as a place of eternal bliss, but how does one experience "bliss" ? Is that not also an emotion?
And if the bible is only metaphorical when it describes feelings and emotions in heaven/hell, what are they metaphorical OF?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t_RwcGzGurc&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Anatta doctrine in word of Buddha says the following:

"Individual existence, as well as the whole world, are in reality
nothing but a process of ever-changing phenomena which are all
comprised in the five Groups of Existence. This process has gone
on from time immemorial, before one’s birth, and also after one’s
death it will continue for endless periods of time, as long, and as
far, as there are conditions for it. As stated in the preceding texts,
the five Groups of Existence—either taken separately or combined—in
no way constitute a real Ego-entity or subsisting
personality, and equally no self, soul or substance can be found
outside of these Groups as their ‘owner’. In other words, the five
Groups of Existence are ‘not-self’ (anatt ), nor do they belong to
a Self (anattaniya). In view of the impermanence and conditionality
of all existence, the belief in any form of Self must be
regarded as an illusion.
Just as what we designate by the name of ‘chariot’ has no existence
apart from axle, wheels, shaft, body and so forth: or as the
word ‘house’ is merely a convenient designation for various
materials put together after a certain fashion so as to enclose a
portion of space, and there is no separate house-entity in existence:
in exactly the same way, that which we call a ‘being’ or an
‘individual’ or a ‘person’, or by the name ‘I’, is nothing but a
changing combination of physical and psychical phenomena, and
has no real existence in itself"

However, there are good reasons to believe that the nature of existence isn't materialist - this is evidenced by the fact that waves can turn into particles and vice versa, as well as a the fact that light/a photon (particle kinda?) has no mass, which makes no sense in a purely particle-based universe.

youtube.com/watch?v=t_RwcGzGurc&feature=youtu.be

However, this still begs the question: How are consciousness and the immaterial linked? How do we experience things without physical senses, even if the material body is nothing more than a trapping for the soul?

I know from experience, hell is real.

I mean an afterlife, not a metaphorical "hell on earth".

No, god isn't real either

If you believe that the spirit continues after death, then I think you have answered you own question, O.P.

And if you say that the spirit does not continue after death, then you must not like when people bring up those who have already died and their lasting effects on the living.

>being a godless commie
Hell is for ever!

The brain acts as an antennae for the soul. Damage the antennae, you hurt the ability to receive certain signals. Mind body dualism is the only way to make sense of the "soul"

Also sensory deprivation can lead to perception of the immaterial.

>commie
>atheism
*tips fedora*

>If you believe that the spirit continues after death
I don't believe in a "spirit" per se in the first place, since it doesn't really make sense. I think it's obvious that there are things that can be said to "exist" that are outside of material (some observing property of some sort that causes the random draws described in this video:), but CONSCIOUSNESS in my opinion arises from material, otherwise all things that have even a primitive consciousness would necessarily need to have a soul (like, say, ants or fish)

>
And if you say that the spirit does not continue after death, then you must not like when people bring up those who have already died and their lasting effects on the living.
I don't know what you mean by this, obviously the consequences of the actions done a long time ago can still be felt, that doesn't mean there is a separate consciousness of said person flying around somewhere.

So all beings that have a brain also have a soul?
Also, if the ability to receive signals can be hurt by hurting the physical material, how can there be an afterlife that is defined by the 100% absence of physical material?
If these antennae are necessary, how can there be any experience without them?

what kind of perception though? mental perception?
And how does that exist without any brain material?

Human understanding is only the sum total of worldly perception. We didnt know there were germs for thousands of years. I think the soul world is the same way. A human body cannot ever perceive the spirit realm. A soul may be inhibited in perception by being locked in a body. These are just possible explanations not a priori proofs.

No, theyr'e not because there are not gods, you stupid ape.

Asking questions like this, anywhere on this site, is a fruitless endeavor. Most people here are barely mentally functional.

That's not certain

Not necessarily, I've had many good discussions on here

No but seriously what kind of perception are you talking about?
With no eyes, no ears, no touch sensors, no brain to think with, what experience could there even plausibly be other than a state of total unconsciousness/disappearance?

The ride never ends and you’re brain can’t comprehend that because you figured out what death is so we make a shitload of bullshit metaphors for what the next step MUST be like I mean come on I know what fire feels like so what about ENDLESS fire?

Impossible to know for sure but for me the strong possibility that this is our only existence, and that everything we are is nothing more than brain function that can easily be shut off or altered, is a horrible and sobering feeling that can cause a lot of mental turmoil if you dwell on it.

Reincarnation is the answer you seek my friend.

This.
A quite sad thing to know. Like a blackpill about humans.

I belive Heaven and hell were invented to scare humans to do what others wanted but i also belive that the Bibel has Many things that Really happend.In conclusion to me: I think that something awaits us After Death and that death insnt the end to everything.

Im Not bhuddist

What makes you believe that it never ends?

Look up string theory. Also called multi-verse. Math tells us that there is an infinite number of universes. This means every possible configuration of the universe exists (infinite number). Heaven and hell must exist. And you must be in both.

>Math tells us that there is an infinite number of universes.

No it doesn't.

Whatever the answer well all find out one day