So, did I am a Hero get cancelled or what?

So, did I am a Hero get cancelled or what?

nah, it was never about learning the truth behind the zombies let alone winning against them or something like that you expect in the average manga.

>start with good premise
>goes to shit immediately after

Every time.

That's fine, but at least concluding the Hiromi story would be better.

probably shitposting and making Hideo threads for all eternity in their hivemind message board

Its not like I was expecting an amazing ending but this was beyond awful, its like the author just said fuck it I give up.

No. It's done .you got fucked!

2deep4you
ending is perfect

He probably did. He got his money from the movie and all the spinoffs so he got lazy especially with the art.

Then why did the author even start to ask all those questions about zombies and shit if it's not to give any answers, fucking hack.

The author didn't ask shit. Years ago, one single ancillary character made a conjecture about what might have caused the outbreak, and everyone across the world reading the manga started going LOL ALIENS CONFIRMED 100% WORD OF GOD

That happened too.

This.

What's with all this typical Sup Forumsutistic inability to appreciate what there is out of a story when it doesn't go to where you believed it was headed?

Not really.

WHY WASNT EVERY MYSTERY REVEALED

WHY DONT THEY CHEW THE FOOD AND PUT IT IN MY MOUTH

She went all emo inside the hive mind and wanted to kill the hero when he spurned her, then decided she was perceptive enough about him to hurt him in the most horrific way possible, by letting Hideo live. Only she got that wrong too. She was a murderer anyway so screw her. Or rather, fuck her and leave her.

I literally JUST finished reading it 2 minutes ago.
I am flabbergasted. Utterly blown the fuck away by how shit that ending was.
4-5 months ago I was proclaiming this as one of my favorite series of all time, with all the weird and crazy shit that kept pilling on and felt like there was a point to it all. Nope.
Literally NOTHING.

Good thing I bought some booze tonight.

I feel hollow

or you know, anything with a semblance of coherance

No.
All along, it was an allegory to the author's relation with his job, the people he worked for and with, his editors and publishers, etc.
This ending is the final nail, an efficient middle-finger to all the greedy editors who cancelled series because they turned their magazines into popularity contests to keep the profit highs instead of committing to good art.
All as it was meant to be.

If that's true then the main story itself was simply too good and intriguing to be used just to across some meta commentary on the industry. I'm not saying there are not meta comments at all but why go to such lengths to make at our expense?

This.
I wasn't expecting anything and yet I was disappointed.

I didn't want all ends to be tied, and I somehow like this manga ending in nothing, in a completely avarage day, with no real climax.
But at the same time I feel hollow and frustrated.
I appreciate it but I dislike it.
And I'm not sure if I should praise the author for giving me those contradicting feelings or if I should send him a big "fuck you".
Send help.

>why go to such lengths to make at our expense?
that's the joke
as long as you can throw some unplanned padding and multiply the elipses during movement, you can make anything last as long as you want and everybody will eat it up
and yes, I am making that shit up but the worst part is, it might not even be that unlikely

So glad i dropped it years ago when that kid got bitten by the baby and then started acting almost human even if she was retard tier

REMEMBER THIS FUCKER?
I have never shit bricks from a manga but this was easily the closest I ever got. Nothing really spooked me in the series other than this, and this is when I thought the things went really cuh-razy.
I knew there was obviously some convergence thing going on but I thought there would be more too it in the end.

What was the highest point of the story for you?
I'd go with 3-way kurusu showdown.

The author obviously ended it how he wanted to. The final part is like 5 chapters of Hideo fucking around, and if the Hanazawa cared about explaining the zombies he could have easily done it in that time. It's intentional like how the first 10 chapters are basically just Hideo's daily life.

>the first 10 chapters are basically just Hideo's daily life.
which was the best part
I dropped it after vol.2 + half of 3 because I would have been interested in Homonculus meets Bakuman, but not in another allegoric story about zombies and human and the differences/resemblences between them, the nature of society and the value of life in face of extinction because I've already seen Romero's movies. Am I missing out that much?

The brief idyllic period when Hiromi woke up and her, Oda and Hideo had a fun road trip to the hot springs.
It was like they somehow got out of the chaos that was the mall, Hideo finally stepped up to his titular namesake and shed (at least for the time being) his autistic tendencies and was rewarded for it with a harem.

>appreciate what there is out of a story when it doesn't go to where you believed it was headed?
going elsewhere is one thing, not going anywhere is another, this falls in the latter

eexactly like the best parts of 28 days later, a roadtrip in the middle of the ap[opcalypse

The real reason is probably really stupid and its better not knowing what the cause is.

Yes, it has good characters and as far as depicting society does a lot of interesting things regarding the internet, shut-ins, disaster denial, etc.

The bridge stand off or the roadtripping.

;_; What was the point of anything?

God fucking dammit!! Everything prior was so good. This last volume. What the fuck.
I mean I kinda like how it just end with him alone. But for fuck sakes, it should have ended 10 chapters ago.
Man, I regret recommending this manga to friends now!

Does he expect people to check out his next work after this shit ending? I havent been this pissed off since gantz, this is some bleach level ending shit

There will be an epilogue. Right?

If it's a sequel, sure.

I hope so. I mean. Just some kind of closure. Fuck, I mean even if we get like 2 pages of monologue from Hideo either talking about something deep.
But to be dicked around for like 10 chapters about
"derp I canz have shotgun shells" is gay

Why is Satoshi Mizukami the only seinen mangaka capable of ending a story? Are there any other examples?

This is the equivalent of watching Lost, shit was kind of cool at the beginning and then ends bombing itself by the end. Is this ending getting any blacklash in Japan? Im never listening to a referral again

This. Omg this.
I wasted 6 years of middle school and high school watching this shit every week when it aired.
Fucking Lost.
the game

The ending isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Unsatisfying sure, loose ends sure, but it's not as if it tramples over all the good shit before. It's just abrupt.

It's similar to LOST but it never held you hostage with mystery on top of mystery to ensure your return. This had the most semi-realistic, humanistic story, whilst also having one the most intriguing overarching plots running underneat. I did care for nearly all of the characters but "what happened next" never tuned me in. I wondered about Hideo and Oda and stuff and cared when the suffered.
To get to my point though, Lost was GOAT for awhile, then got quite shit and then never recovered.
If you ask me, besides the whole manga transcript shit with that meaningless character trying to be Jesus sub-plot , the series was great until the very last fucking page of nothingness. After that it went from a 9/10 in my eyes to a 5.
Fuck that cunt.

What was the point of of Hideo getting bit from a gummy ZQN and hinted at being partially infected or even immune?

>Omg
Go back to where you belong.

if he just ended it like 2, 3 chapters back I would be find. Im cool with finding out that those other people survive even though there is no explanation on why the old woman became young. There is no reason to spend the 5 final chapters on Hideo like this, it could have been 2 chapters for all what he showed. Im pissed that Hiromi just disappeared, never explained what happened. I seen on reddit a few people defending this ending, its unredeemable in my eyes because of the potential

what about him being able to connect with certain ZQNs?

The whole mall arc or the part of the story with that user shitposting on a messageboard and getting conscripted into the manchilds gang up until the 3 way showdown.

Also that ending was garbage and left too many threads unanswered. I don't mind it not explaining every single little mystery because having SOME wonder is a good thing, but that was just pure shit. Anything would have been better than that. Where did all the ZQN in Japan go? Why did the giant Hiromi hivemind freeze? Will she wake up? What is happening with the rest of the world? Why did Auntie turn young? What about that fucking bit with the Italian loli?

I think the author just stopped caring around the point giant Hiromi hivemind went crazy and he couldn't figure a good way to wrap it up so just rushed whatever the fuck that was for the final few chapters. Nobody expected such a great series to end like that. An absolute terrible disappointment.

It renders everything before it as meaningless nonsense to anyone not in the fucking hivemind. A couple of chapters ago, plots where converging, stakes had sky rocketed and monsters enacting their plan to do...???? Make a big vagina in a church, an immortal tree guy and a giant statue that hugs a building, turns to stone and fucking dies??
That was the master plan of this thing/virus/magic/aliens/whothefuckcares at this point? Really? This was it? After all this shit?
Not mad but quite annoyed. I didn't want a full round up wiki shit but I did want it to at least a have genuine conclusion. He was writing this shit for years. Should of had a fucking ending in mind.

To what this user said , the mangaka brought the story together exactly as he intended for it to be done, by first establishing an assortment of characters in different groups then bringing them all together into the same space reaching towards a climax, which was had, followed by a soft resolution concluding the story of Hideo. Far from being governed by popularity or having a sudden end due to cancellation theories, this story's structure, which is classical, is wholly intact.

>I don't like it, so I'll say the ending sucked, didn't make sense or the story went nowhere
That's just your wrong opinion.

Kengo "Bleached" the ending. He had to be making shit up along the way without a plan, it seemed like it. I got into Berserk not too long ago and am all caught up. I hope on the imaginary god that it doesnt end somewhat like how this manga ended

You're missing the part where the author introduces all these branching suplots including the immortal tree guy in Spain and this very important little girl in Italy and her guardian and then just never touches on them again at all. That's not even also touching on why all the ZQN were so fascinated with that tower and wanted to turn it into a hive only for them to all just suddenly disappear without a trace and the giant hivemind to just freeze like a statue. There was absolutely no closure on anything. If it was so important where did all the rest of the ZQN in Japan go to? Why didn't any of them go to Tokyo?

It just ended without a trace. Hideo's story is no way complete unless every ZQN on planet Earth also disappeared while the giant whatever the fuck they are also froze. Nothing makes sense, there's too many answers left including what the fuck happens to Hideo in the end if this is HIS story. The only conclusion is the author copped out and had no plan.

I didn't like the ending, but I'm happy to have read the manga anyway.
The tree guy arc was absolutely beautiful.

I see your point and did enjoy the forming, mundane look at Hideo we got before the zombie apocalypse. Really showed what he was as a pathetic human who was somehow destined to become the most powerful man, ironically due to his autistic hobby, in Japan.
That said the "mundane" choice to show Hideo's mental regression/progression during the end serves nothing because it doesn't show anything new or some sort of arch achieved. He went through all that shit (the story of which is now basically meaningless filler?) and he became a capable hunter that I guess lost his delusions. Wow 10/10.
Totally makes worth the years of everyone lives making and reading this shit worthwhile.

How is the live action movie, is it even worth watching? I do think one of the best scenes is when Hideo and Hiromi first had sex and shit starts happening on a subconscious level all around Hideo.

bump

Holy fuck, this. Why introduce plot points that never get resolved? The little girl in europe, who was saved by a kurusu, the alien aspect, what happened to the zqn, etc. I don't even have a problem with hideo ending up the way that he did, but at the very least, he could've come across an alien hybrid or something. I guess it's arguable that aunty's kids are hybrids, but it would've been cool to see if they had any alien abalities (hive mind) other than accelerated aging. Just to let us as the readers know that whatever was going on hasn't been thwared.

I'd have to read this again, but right now, this makes gantz's ending look almost like a masterpiece.

Live action cuts most of the characterization for time constraints so it can get through the mall arc. The action is pretty good though, and so are the zombies.

I mean, as long as Hideo doesn't travel across the sea and the ZQN can't either, Hideo's pretty much done with the zombie apocalypse. He doesn't really care how or why anything happened, and seems pretty content in putting all his energy into just surviving in Tokyo. I think his story is complete in that I can easily see him doing this for the rest of his life.

>You're missing the part where the author introduces all these branching suplots including the immortal tree guy in Spain and this very important little girl in Italy and her guardian and then just never touches on them again at all
Those aren't subplots which have anything to do with the main story revolving around the principals introduced , and the characters contained within them are disposable. They existed for purposes of exposition only.
>the ZQN
All this is guessed at variously, yet the definitive answer is not important. The zombies are never the focus of a zombie story.

>It just ended without a trace. Hideo's story is no way complete unless every ZQN on planet Earth also disappeared
But isn't this heavily implied?
>while the giant whatever the fuck they are also froze.
And Isn't this specifically depicted?
>Nothing makes sense, there's too many answers left including what the fuck happens to Hideo in the end if this is HIS story.
His story is not one of an action hero saving the world, or that of a lothario thriving in the times of the zombie apocalypse with his growing harem of defenseless bitches, his is an internal one of self-worth, with all the action lending to it. His story's conclusion is just fine.
>The only conclusion is the author copped out and had no plan.
A conclusion I can reach is that for a good many when something happens that they can't fully explain or understand they'll pin the blame on someone else. But that's already a given part of human nature.

If this shit is solely Hideo's story, why waste time on Kurusu's group or the Spain shit? Why even set these questions up at all? People don't normally ask questions about where zombies came from, but when you give entire chapters CONTINENTS away solely about the zombies, people are gonna ask. This ending was shit.

>who was somehow destined to become the most powerful man
That persona of Hideo's, to what he aspires in his professional life, later as action man, is just a front, and the trapping of his acting out that role in heat of the moment a facade; reality is that even after all the shit that went down he's still that pathetic non-descript human who naively wants fame, fortune, and importance to be handed to him by nature of his being, it's just by luck, happenstance of who he met and how he was equipped and no small amount of his own effort that he survived, and in isolation was afforded time to put it all into perspective and come out the other side in the last chapter with some small amount of personal growth. Yes, he no longer suffers from delusions. Male pattern baldness Hideo is a better person. 10/10.

Or probably somewhat less than 10; it's not epic, just alright.

the pic above was meant for this post, but this one here also makes the point; Hideo in his new life, no longer pronouncing himself a hero through his dialogue, which was only ever an empty hope, but the mangaka setting the refrain as part of his new background.

I am a Hero is not ONLY Hideo's story, but Hideo's story is only his.

>they didn't explain why the zombies were acting like zombies so it's shit
ok, Sup Forumsutist.

>s that even after all the shit that went down he's still that pathetic non-descript human who naively wants fame, fortune, and importance to be handed to him by nature of his being
Bullshit.
Him killing on the mall bridge was suicide and he knew it, it was a reckless and otherwise out charterer, heroic moment from him. Him only getting saved was a miracle. He didn't know. He was set to kill until he died. You can not fake that as an action man.

They pointedly DIDN'T act like zombies. If he kept it at zombies pantomiming their old lives I could have let it lie, but he had to add all this other dreamworld hivemind bodymelding bullshit.

It's only implied the ZQN in Tokyo disappeared. One can at most guess based on what is shown in Spain that they all globally converged into giant monstrosities. However the reason for this is never fully explained. Least of all why the one in Spain were ovaries. The author introduces all of this backstory and doesn't even so much as throw a bone. If the only thing of importance was Hideo and his immediate surroundings, why bother with all of this explanation and depiction outside of character rumour?

I can understand the story ending in such a way for Hideo. The deer is a good depiction of how everybody sacrificed themselves so that he may survive and in the end he ends how he began, possibly resuming his days alone and living a mundane life while everybody else arc are closed up more or less, not counting a few like Auntie. But Hiromi's ending and even Hideo's ending aren't that satisfying and ultimately the ending to the overall story of I am a hero is not satisfying.

>Hero (Eiyuu) and Hideo use the same kanji
Neat.

That's mentioned a few times throughout the manga. I think Hiromi, Oda and at least one other person mention it.

>Bullshit.
Not bullshit, for here he is after the ZQN plot came to a climax sitting in an empty Tokyo waiting for someone to give him that external validation by which he still wants to measure his own worth rather than him looking for it internally.

>Him killing on the mall bridge was suicide and he knew it, it was a reckless and otherwise out charterer, heroic moment from him
Hideo literally got run up the wrong building, one he couldn't escape from, as he says himself through dialogue. He had no other choice but to wait it out until whatever end was in store for him caught up to him, and while he had his gun decided to spend it shooting various things. Is he at that point assuming the character of a noble hero or still acting out his fantasy? Here's a clue: he knows nothing about the dispute between factions on the other building, but executes his hero's justice nonetheless--by nailing the wrong guy.

ANOTHER REMINDER
Even 10/10's turn shit eventually. Even if it's at chapter 264 out of 264. It's fucking shit forever and it never, ever, comes back. Can't wait until it does too.

>manga starts out in hot as fuck summer
>at the end Hideo mentions how it gets could super early now
>final scene is Hideo walking through snow in fucking japan
so I take it the zombie aliens are somehow terraforming the planet.

You do know it actually snows in Japan, right? And I'm not talking about just Hokkaido.

never mind I thought it was maybe not actually winter and he hinted at some wheater fuckery, but the watch says december, should have changed the month to june for some last unexplained mindfuck.

could be nukes going off in the general chaos of the zombie apocalypse and causing a nuclear winter

He celebrated new year's in one of the final chapters so obviously it's winter.

The real mystery is why was this ugly fat piece of shit such a Chad getting laid all the time?

ah fuck, that's the new year scene so it's a bad example, but they showed his watch a bunch of times in the last 5 chapters so I expected there to be some bullshit going on, missed opportunity by the mangaka.

I guess the ending feels better if you read it from start to finish without having to wait through a year long break before the final arc.

>breeding with your eternally young waifu on an island and drawing manga
everybody knows who the real Chad is.

You know what? At first I was underwhelmed/indifferent to this final chapter, but then I went back and reread chapts 189-191, 217-218, and although they don't explain everything, IMO they help to put the setting of the finale in a better context.

I think that was already answered
Hideo was so fucked up mentally that he couldn't join up with the ZQN network.

how does that work?

He's making it up; Hideo was never even infected, nor was he implied to be immune.

by being literally too autistic.

The ZQN literally made comments themselves on Hideos mental state.
That, and all the ZQN with independence like Kurusu were shown to be mentally unstable prior to infection.

>It's only implied the ZQN in Tokyo disappeared
Hideo notes after the timeskip that the ZQN are all gone. Barcelona too. The 'infect them all' ZQN are done away with when the hive decides they're no longer needed. The reader should extrapolate the same applies for all possible settings.
>Least of all why the one in Spain were ovaries. The author introduces all of this backstory...
As these aren't so much backstory as they are free standing, what allegorical worth there is to them is better explained within those chapters.
>However the reason for this is never fully explained
It doesn't have to be fully explained. In a man vs nature sense, there is no dire need to explain nature. It's a force unto itself, a natural force, and it's purpose is to spread destruction until man overcomes, or generally serve as something which opposes man.

>I can understand the story ending in such a way for Hideo. The deer is a good depiction of how everybody sacrificed themselves so that he may survive
I'm not one myself but this understanding of life is shared by many who hunt, without a need for an apocalypse. Good of Hanazawa to put it in at the last.

>But Hiromi's ending . . . is not satisfying.
Cuteness aside and for as much sympathy we have for her as Hideo's only available pussy for a time, Hiromi isn't that great of a person; she takes pleasure offing Sae and after she's connected to the hive mind wills Oda to die because she's in competition for Hideo's attention. Sure, she steps out of the picture before she turns full ZQN thus allowing Hideo to go on, but literally becomes the monster she was growing into as a person. Her last act was to try to inflict pain on someone for spite. So if there's no satisfaction in her ending, maybe it's because she doesn't deserve one.

Unlike amputee girl, of the same set of circumstances as Hiromi. No there's a(nother unsung) hero. Hideo's I like, but I suppose it's a matter of taste to a degree.

>The ZQN literally made comments themselves on Hideo's mental state.
irrelevant

...And how would they know what his mental state was if he wasn't connected to the network in some way?
And he LITERALLY had ZQN hallucinations ( fucked up stuffed animal thing), distinct from his normal hallucinations.

someone screenshot this for future shitposters whining about the ending

>he expected zombie shit to be good
>literally b tier horror trash

None of these apocalypse stories much bothers with the industrial accidents bound to occur after there wasn't a staff around to prevent them from happening eventually. Nuclear power plants are going to run off the grid and melt down eventually with no one to work on containment, containers at chemical plants are going to degrade and release their contents into the pristine natural environment authors like to depict once the 'great cleansing of humanity' happens as is the want of some of the more misanthropic authors. Oh well. Pitfall of the genre.

thank you for creating and absolving your own complaint

What can you do, though? Have every survival story turn into a quest to cram nuclear engineering skills into survivors heads and have them scrambling around the world averting disasters? Goes against the grain.

At least hiromi didn't die a virgin.

you were perfectly right when you said it was a hazard of the genre. It's simply something that has to be conveniently and innocuously ignored. There's no way around it.

>you were perfectly right when you said it was a hazard of the genre.
Oh, right.
>It's simply something that has to be conveniently and innocuously ignored.
Which is kinda annoying because it obscures whether or not your apocalypse story derives from a misanthropic viewpoint. I don't get that vibe from Hanazawa though. The hunting scene and the survivors on the island fucking like rabbits to repopulate is too life affirming.

>you were perfectly right when you said it was a hazard of the genre.
Oh, right.
>It's simply something that has to be conveniently and innocuously ignored.
Which is kinda annoying because it obscures whether or not your apocalypse story derives from a misanthropic viewpoint. I don't get that vibe from Hanazawa though. The hunting scene and the survivors on the island fucking like rabbits to repopulate is too life affirming.

You either end a hero or continue long enough to become a shit villian

Post one pages that encouraged you to pick this up