Why is Sci-Fi anime almost non existent when fantasy is thriving?

Why is Sci-Fi anime almost non existent when fantasy is thriving?

Because Fantasy anime appeals to a larger audience. Girls actually watch Fantasy stuff, but they pretty rarely watch scifi.

The best girls watch sci fi.

This is why 3DPG are trash

Pseudoscience is boring.

Watch more anime.

Why not both? At the same time I mean.

Japs can't into Sci-Fi. They can only copy fantasy stories off a template.

Wasn't there an anise about space elves?

>not Sci-Fa

Sci-fi requires effort in worldbuilding, since you can't just rip off Tolkein folklore and make it cuter. Japs seriously lack creativity, which is why so much anime sci-fi relies on mecha to wow you.

They mosty rip off western folklore because it is exotic to them but apply their own to it

Then you get hilarious nonsense like hellsing

>"fantasy"
>everyone's just trapped in a mmorpg

>Why is Sci-Fi anime almost non existent
It isn't? A lot of it is mecha anime which I know isn't everyone's thing but even disregarding that, there's plenty of sci-fi stuff almost every season

Hell there's hardly any decent fantasy around beyond the usual isekai-type or video game tie-in stuff. Hard Fantasy anime is dead and contemporary fantasy usually gets too mixed into highschool romcom bullshit

With sci-fi you have to put some effort as to how the universe works, "lol, it just works because science" gets older faster than "lol magic" and there is a limited number of ways to make aliens look cute without ripping someone else, and as some anons have said, the audience is smaller than with fantasy, so for some it's not worth the effort

Because you need a full brain to write sci-fi whereas you can write up any garbage setting like 'real life RPG mechanics' because muh fantasy.

>muh aliens and advance tech that's just like fantasy stuff

Keep thinking that.

They sure watched Gundumb or Code Geass.

Mecha is an instant sign that a show is shit.

Gundam Wing and Code Geass were both written specifically to cater to women. That's why Wing has a boy harem.

there's a lot of potential reasons why, but my guess is Right now the world kinda sucks, so people want escapism, which is what most fantasy is, and not dystopia, which is what most Sci-fi tends to be, to take their minds off of things.

You are shit

He's right though. 90% of anime fantasy is MMORPG shit with skills and levels.

They are fucking silly toys for babies.

pretty much this

God, you newfaggots are so damn painful. Sci-fi has been the dominant genre of anime/manga for over 40 years. If you weren't so goddamn new, you'd realize there's more sci-fi anime out there than you could even hope to watch. Fuck off forever.

>when fantasy is thriving
The fuck it is, all we're getting is isekai high schooler battle harem crap. If Sci-Fi is dead then Fantasy is having it's corpse desecrated.

Anime is for the lowest common denominator, sad to say it. Even pulp magazine sci-fi requires a level of writing anime severly lacks

My taste in anime is severely limited to the scant few classics or shit so goofy it's impossible to dislike. I avoid 99% of anime after giving them a 3 episode limit to hook me

Based John Brunner already explained just what was wrong with pulp sci-fi and the "new wave" of his day, just think that anime is several notches below that

Why are people talking as if hard science fiction is the only type of science fiction that exists?

>I'm 18 and I'm such an anime expert

Today it's pretty much a dead genre.

Go ahead and list all those sci-fi hits in last few years.

Same reason they're acting like sci-fi has high level writing when in most cases it has mediocre writing that over focuses on explaining fictional technology.

Go and look at the next season series. You'll be surprised.

Fantasy isn't thriving, it's dying because of isekai cancer.

>I was born close to the year 2000 and I haven't watch an anime older than Evangelion btw the goalpost is over here

>i have never read a good science fiction novel: the post

When did I ever imply that? The man I mentioned even praises some pulp series, and his favourite sci-fi novels were not hard sci-fi

What goalpost you retard?

No popular sci-fi anime was made in years. Even mechashit fails.

>hating on hellsing

Hey man, don't do that

Because magic/fantasy can beat science/sci-fi

Everyone knows this.

Go read something by Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury, or Vonnegut before you say ignorant shit like that again.

Sci-fi hasn't been a very popular genre anywhere since The Matrix.

It's just not something that a lot of people appreciate.

>Read this shit people wrote 100yrs ago
Talk about proving the point

Normalfags have shit tastes

>No popular sci-fi anime was made in years.
Space Dandy, Steins;Gate, Parasyte randomly getting an adaptation, and Space Battleship Yamato 2199 don't count? and before you say that they're all shit for whatever reason, you were talking about popular sci-fi anime (so nothing to do with quality)

Hell, you could've just said SAO

More than likely he just baited you for recs though

Because no one believes in the future anymore.

Well then he fooled me I guess. Though I rec'd him the most mainstream sci-fi over the past few years for what it's worth.

Good job posting 4 shows

Parasyte is not a sci-fi

>Alien invasion
>Not Sci-Fi

Space Dandy was one of the worst selling shows of it's year.

S;G was 6 years ago.

Parasyte is a fucking fightan shonen.

Yamato is selling far below expectations for a classic like that.

I guess fucking DBZ is sci-fi too?

All of that still counts as fantasy though. OP asked why one genre is more common than the other, regardless of whether it is being done well or not.

>Heinlein, Vonnegut, and Bradbury were from a century ago
>durrhurr who reads old books anyway
Do you want to show me more about how much a drooling retard you are?

>S;G was 6 years ago.
and it's getting another season/midquel later this year.

That's an adaptation of a novel hated by fans and will most likely sell like shit.

>Time travel vehicle
>Fliying cars and motorcycles
>Laser weaponry
>Spaceships
>Aliens
>Pop-up houses in small pills and carry-on cases
Am I being baited. It's Science-Fantasy.

Nice job with that strawman. Not even close to the argument present but at least you set it up.

I think the S;G anime was a fluke honestly, because all of Chiyo's other anime adaptations sorta suck. Occultic;Nine was blatantly an advertisement for the LN/upcoming(?) VN and still went all over the place too.

He clearly wants to move onto something else but is stuck defaulting back to S;G, kinda sad really.