Why was the Roman Empire so successful and iconic and what were some problems they had...

Why was the Roman Empire so successful and iconic and what were some problems they had? What was their upper class/lower class like

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitos_War
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

how about u read a book nigger we are not your history teachers

>great location on the peninsula, commercial hub
>land protection from northern barbarians with the Alps and Apennine Mountains
>early cultural influence by great civilizations like greeks and etruscans
>close connection with the medditerranean world
>at the same time far away enough from other great powers to be left alone
>big population and very rich countryside
>early neighbours were close culturally so easier to integrate
>stable government and society
>patriotic people with strong moral fiber
>strong martial culture
>incommensurable number of great leaders, generals and statesmen
>highly educated high and middle class
>lots and lots of luck
>their enemies were for part stagnant or decadent, easier to conquer
>they inherited a helenistic world, very similar to their own

So, God' intervention. They basically had everything needed to be successful. It's like they were meant to unite the world and allow God's word to spread.

i dont really trust many books

why did they fall though

>american education

>Why was the Roman Empire so successful
t. brainlet uneducated amerifat

they never fell we still follow their religion, their beliefs, their social structure and language. All the roman empire did was to reform itself along the ages

The greatest military the world has ever seen.

Why societies decay? It's a tricky question. They eventually lost most of the things I listed.

they wrote the histories and calendar.

>controlling much of the civilised world
>not successful
I get it that the cuck Badinyi was rector of the University of Buenos Aires, but that won't change history.
>tfw Turkic Huns cucked the Romans

you know too much
SHUT IT DOWN

>Why was the Roman Empire so successful
Conquest
>iconic
It was the first great European empire
>what were some problems they had
Corruption, conquering more then what they can hold, Atilla, deep class divide, slave revolts and a very flawed succession system.

Before you ask, no Rome did not fall because they took in immigrants.

>little burger looks up into his fathers eyes
>"daddy, tell me the story of the Romans again. Tell me the story of Emperor Hadrian"
>Britain looks down at his little burger and smiles

>why did they fall though
like all societies, decadence.
Rome was so great that the citizens forgot that hard work made it great to begin with. The good times created the weak men, the weak men created the fall of the empire

>Ottoman Turks have conquered most of Central Europe
Good grief what places did you learn history from?

Romans were possibly the most stubborn civilization in history.

They had Hannibal destroying the Italian peninsula for years and had like 30% of their adult male population massacred, yet they still refused to make peace with Carthage unless the peace deal involved the complete surrender and subjugation of Carthage under Rome.

The craziest part is that they got exactly that.

>The good times created the weak men, the weak men created the fall of the empire
Nice hypothesis you got there, mind telling me how weak men are responsible for crop failure?

>flag
Right, it only made them stronger!

>The MG42 had been paramount in the offensive doctrine of the Legions

It did when effort was put into making sure that they integrated into Roman society, but once that stopped combined with poor treatment of immigrants that's why things went tits.

>3/4 Polish, 1/3 German
Wat.

Kek, obviously a typo meant to be 1/4

They fell due to the psy-op that is Christianity. Note, I'm not knocking the bible, just the gnostic, neoplatonic christian religion that arose and continues to this day.

Angering the Gods with their faggotry.

i don't know if i believe you considering most immigrants who come to actually decent societies usually just bring their shitty culture with them and refuse/are unable to integrate

> ~5 century BC: Roman civilization is a a strong patriarchy, fathers are liable for the actions of their wife and children, and have absolute authority over the family (including the power of life and death)
> ~1 century BC: Roman civilization blossoms into the most powerful and advanced civilization in the world. Material wealth is astounding, citizens (i.e.: non slaves) do not need to work. They have running water, baths and import spices from thousands of miles away. The Romans enjoy the arts and philosophy; they know and appreciate democracy, commerce, science, human rights, animal rights, children rights and women become emancipated. No-fault divorce is enacted, and quickly becomes popular by the end of the century.
> ~1-2 century AD: The family unit is destroyed. Men refuse to marry and the government tries to revive marriage with a “bachelor tax”, to no avail. Children are growing up without fathers, Roman women show little interest in raising their own children and frequently use nannies. The wealth and power of women grows very fast, while men become increasingly demotivated and engage in prostitution and vice. Prostitution and homosexuality become widespread.

> ~3-4 century AD: A moral and demographic collapse takes place, Roman population declines due to below-replacement birth-rate. Vice and massive corruption are rampant, while the new-born Catholic Religion is gaining power (it becomes the religion of the Empire in 380 AD). There is extreme economic, political and military instability: there are 25 successive emperors in half a century (many end up assassinated), the Empire is ungovernable and on the brink of civil war.
> ~5 century AD: The Empire is ruled by an elite of military men that use the Emperor as a puppet; due to massive debts and financial problems, the Empire cannot afford to hire foreign mercenaries to defend itself (Roman citizens have long ago being replaced by mercenaries in the army), and starts “selling” parts of the Empire in exchange for protection. Eventually, the mercenaries figure out that the “Emperor has no clothes”, and overrun and pillage the Empire.
> humanity falls back into the Bronze Age (think: eating squirrel meat and living in a cave); 12 centuries of religious zilotry (The Great Inquisition, Crusades) and intellectual darkness follow: science, commerce, philosophy, human rights become unknown concepts until they are rediscovered again during the Age of Enlightenment in 17th century AD.

The decline of the Republic happened because the plebeians were being priced out by slaves. There weren't very many jobs for your average Gaius, since there were thousands of slaves in Rome doing the jobs for less.

Basically, the exact parallel to what the Mexicans are doing in the US. Undercutting US labor, driving down the standard of living, and causing a populist (Donald Trump/Marius) to rise. Populists almost always arise due to foreigners undercutting the lower class, who would rather live in a fascist dictatorship than put up with dirty foreign peasants.

The Romans had a huge empire that needed defended so they conscripted non Romans who didn't really actually care about the empire as a whole. Once those forces were trained and well they would help the Romans for a bit then turn on them and attack. Rome was getting lazy using more and more auxiliaries and even granting them citizenship eventually which left them with a low sense of nationalism and pride along with a high level of decadence from having such comfortable lives for so long with so much land between them and enemies.

>Angering the gods
>With faggotry
You clearly dont know how shit worked back then, the only thing that would anger them was forgetting to sacrifice or having sex in their temples.
Well you see unlike governments of today the Roman Empire made sure that effort was put to integrate people.
Stop listening to that Stefan fagget, he doesn't know shit about history
>citizens (i.e.: non slaves) do not need to work
Which, if you knew your history was a massive problem for anyone who didn't have slaves.
>most powerful and advanced civilization in the world.
Disputed, Persia was still around and they where also a powerful civilization.

Wait a fucking minute
>animal rights
>Rome
Holy shit I been trolled.

Don't forget in the 3rd century they allowed all non Romans to have citizenship as long as they weren't slaves to try and revive a sense of pride in being Roman.

I mean, Jan III Sobieski is basically a Polish minor God at this point. He's highly revered, like George Washington, Mao Zedong, Admiral Yi, Simon Bolivar, or Genghis Khan.

But still, that is poorly written and sourced, and it doesn't even go over half of why he is revered.

>disputed
>Persia
Retarded shitskin detected.

They started betrating each others. Ye, barbarians and different faiths and bla bla. But they died by the same reasons than Byzantium did, their generals and (((high class))) started working for them selves only.
Manzikert, the Civil wars or the 3rd century crisis are the best examples of it.

As happened with the Visigoths in Spain with moors, roman noblemen invited the invaders in and stood while doing nothing just waiting to gain personal profit of it.

Correct, only Sweden will accomplish this feat.

>what were some problems they had
Governing and supporting a nation/empire of that size wasn't really sustainable with the infrastructure that was available at the time.

>Recap centuries of scholarship why a massive empire fell into one post.

Fuck you people.

>Persia
>Stronger than Rome
>Persia still being around while Rome was
I hope you know the Iranians at the time weren't Persians. There were like 3 separate Iranian empires kicking about at the time of Rome.

And also, they were nowhere near as powerful or advanced as Rome. Romans made contact with the Burmese, had developed a rudimentary steam engine, and developed basic chemistry. If Rome lasted another 300 - 400 years, they probably would've also invented guns, 600 years before our Europe did.

Rome was in contact with Han Dynasty and a trade route through Persia was established as a result.

Yeah I'm wondering if he means Parthia or Sassanian both of which the Romans enjoyed more victories.

Since the Romans were regularly cucked by Iranians (Persians and later Parthians), with the former having an established civilisation, they are/were comparable.

All empires just expire at some point.

>There were like 3 separate Iranian empires kicking about at the time of Rome.
Not really, if we start at the Punic Wars then most of the region was controlled by the Parthian.
>Romans made contact with the Burmese
So did Persia
Who can keep track of all the names of Kingdom and Empires that the Persian have had. While Rome might have had a few victories against them they where never in a position to destroy them like they did to Carthage.

Started to use lead pots and empire fell.
Prove...Me...Wrong...

Except they didn't, nice cuck dreams though.

>Who can keep track of all the names of Kingdom and Empires that the Persian have had
Because they were collapsing all the time because they sucked lol
>While Rome might have had a few victories against them they where never in a position to destroy them like they did to Carthage
So? "few victories" they won more than any Persian Empire did lol, they sacked the Parthian capital 5 times and the Sassanid one 3 times. They never even got close to Rome.

>plebeians were being priced out by slaves
It wasn't just an economic question. There was social prestige in owning slaves. The more you had the better friends, wives and clients you could acquire. Most of the land wasn't even lucrative to the aristocrats, even with slaves. The landed poor was diminishing due to constant military servive and the elite was doing everything in their power to deny public land redistribution, due to pure hubrus.

>>While Rome might have had a few victories against them they where never in a position to destroy them like they did to Carthage.

Emperor Hadrian pretty much conquered Persia. Only the Jewish revolt known as the Kito wars, prevented the complete occupation of the Iranian plateau.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitos_War

You could write a book on how slavery caused the end of the Republic, so it's really hard to pinpoint the biggest flaw in the system. However, the effect slaves had on the lower classes definitely led to the Marian/Sulla civil war and the Gracchi reforms.

I meant emperor Trajan.

>Emperor Hadrian pretty much conquered Persia
You're thinking of Trajan, Hadrian withdrew from Persia. Trajan was also the only Roman Emperor who made it to a Persian capital. Rome didn't have much conflicts with Sasanian but Byzantium sure did

>why did they fall though?
Malaria

>why did they fall though
You want the long answer? Go read a book
Short answer? Attila

Rome eventually became divided along racial lines. It hit a racial 'brick wall.'
Mediterraneans and Germanic did not mix much, neither did Mediterraneans and Persians or native Egyptians.

The western roman empire became germanized so it broke from the eastern roman empire which remained Mediterranean.