Shin Seiki Evangelion

What's everyone's favourite episode?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9M1Wf8DU2UA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is this a Kill la Kill reference?

I love episode 4 a lot, but 20 is a close second.
There are a lot of great ones, 6, 9, 18, 22 and 23 come to mind.

19's the best episode. It's got everything. Honorable mentions to episodes 2 and 23.

Twenty two, although the mind rape scenes could've been less epileptic.

Episode 3 was always my favorite. This shot is fucking beautiful.

Episode 9 for me. youtube.com/watch?v=9M1Wf8DU2UA

Episode 4 and 24

probably 9, 10 and 11 for sheer /comfy/-ness

This scene was engraved in my mind till now.

This.

Zeruel is the best angel.

Honestly 21. I love the backstory and adults. 18, 19, fuck it, the whole second half is gold.

I'm watching it again and ranking each episode based on visual direction, character development, theme development, angel battle (if there is one), and world building.

So far,
1. Episode 2 (The Beast)
2. Episode 15 (Those women longed for...)
3. Episode 1 (Angel Attack)
4. Episode 13 (Lilliputian Hacker)
5. Episode 16 (Splitting of the Breast)

I'm currently on Episode 17. Magma Diver got shit on.

I'm not trying to be a special snowflake, but I don't really treat the episodes individually. I think about it and remember it more like a 13 hour movie.

I have favorite scenes more so than episodes. So far, all of them have been mentioned itt, so the only one I would add is pic related. Episode 18's sunset shots in general were pretty great.

26 (the slice of life scene puts it on top)

After always having EoE stuck in your brain at the end of a rewatch, it's always nice to go back to the comfy episodes at Misato's apartment.

Magma Diver master race here

>visual direction
Cringe

>not "cool picture things"

The correct term is kinography.

episode 21 ''The birth of NERV''

>no one has said Ep. 8

Episode 26. CONGRATULATIONS! is my favorite anime scene and literally changed me as a person.

everything before episode 17 is shit

>tfw the series everybody remembers really didn't begin until episode 16
>tfw before that it was pretty much just an average mech series

Evangelion's first half is the best written mecha series ever

Please tell me you are making cinegrids for each episode. Someone has to.

>EVANGELIONS XDD FUIRRST HALF IS DA BEEEST WRITTEN MEKAA SEREIS EVAAR LOL XDDDD AM I COOL YET??

Yeah, nice faggot, good arguing there

Yeah I should provide more evidence instead of spewing memes and saying xd, shouldn't I

this was terrifying

the first few episodes are also good, the middle is kind of boring

No? Early NGE is super memorable.
From the first 8 episodes, I can only see someone saying 7 is forgettable.
And Shinji's character arc is constant through out the series, the start is where he builds bonds and confidence. After Leliel things start to go wrong with each of his friends and culminates with him killing Kaworu and being completely broken.

Pic related

Episode 7 reveals a ton about how the outside world sees NERV as corrupt and it makes it more clear just how much Gendo is pulling the strings. The fight against the rogue robot isn't entertaining at all but the world building is fantastic.
The only episode in NGE that isn't really redeemable at all is magma diver imo

Also saying the first half of NGE should be ignored is retarded. The character development of Shinji, Asuka, Misato, and Ritsuko as well as the themes of existentialism, human connection, moral codes, etc, all start as early as episode 1 and 2.

I don't think episode 7 is bad/unimportant, just kind of forgettable.
>Also saying the first half of NGE should be ignored is retarded.
I assume you're agreeing with me, that's exactly what I meant.

Episode 24, that shit fucked up my childhood

Yeah exactly, just everyone else tends to shrug off episodes 1-15

Who did it better?

>Literally the entire point of a visual medium
Why the fuck are you watching shows if you don't care about how they look?

Do you not think framing is important? Do you not think the use of the two thirds balance is important for cohesive works? That negative space is unneeded?

You disgust me.

Every so often I stop browsing Sup Forums for a few weeks to a few months, and whenever I come back, without fail, I see some post I could have made myself. Thanks for making me smile user.

Episode 18 is my fave.

Unforgettable moment. Episode 18 is amazing.

Episodes 16, 20 and 22 to 24.
The last two episodes are good for rewatching but i still love EoE.
I saw Evangelion for the first time a couple weeks ago and in a very unstable time of my life and although i finished it about a month ago i'm still quite in shock and mezmerised with the show. It's Amazing!
I think i'm obssessed with this, like a couple years ago that i got very into American Psycho.

Eva 01 looked so cute here

episode 16

I agree with you. Nothing to add, I just fully agree

>this scene and Asuka's fight with the mass produced evas were both animated by Hiroyuki Imaishi

what a legend

This desu

I like episode 16 because it's a clear point where everything goes into absolute despair.

I fucking hate the fact that the Bluray version of it is just a DVD upscale since the source material was lost in a flood or something.

Zebra ball best angel

you know why

Asuka's fight was done by Yoshinari though. Not sure about the OP

This.

I watched the show for the first time a few months ago, with the only things I knew about it beforehand being

>It's 2deep5u and gets wierd
>EVA's aren't normal mecha
>The gray haired kid isn't normal and shinji has the gays for him

and 18 was easily the best. End of Evangelion is overrated.

>End of Evangelion is overrated.
EoE is a msterpiece

19, especially the scene where Shinji's eva went feral.

Best taste.

Ep 18 I always found interesting with learning more about all the weird machinery and sub levels of NERV and I do like ep 13 too

12th angel best angel

>Shin Seiki Evangelion
I didn't expect to be triggered today.

All Rei episodes are great.

The point of this thread isn't to have a ranking for which episode was "the best" but rather for which episodes people are the most fond of and why.

I really liked the first 7 episodes. It was the good times (before a certain someone came along and ruined the show). These episodes had some genuinely emotional moments that brought a tear to my eye.
Episode 1 was great setup.
Episode 2 had a great way of showing the fight, while introducing the characters.
Episode 4 was really nice and the final "I'm home" scene was really sweet.
Episode 6 had the Rei smile, and that was sweet as fuck.
Episode 7 had the scene were Shinji realized that Misato considers her family, and that was also heartwarming.

best episodes: 23 & 2
close seconds: 22 and 19

worst: magma diver and the dance fighting episode

i really liked how ep 2 didn't started right where ep 1 left and instead focused on the characters and their relationship, leaving the fight as a flashback for later

that was some serious directing skill imho

Why did that trigger you?

Episode 4 had the best atmosphere, I still think about it a lot

It's fucking Neon Genesis, calling it by it's japanese name makes you sound like a total faggot.

Not to samefag, but holy shit I was not prepared for this episode, one of my favourite scenes in all anime.

It's also my favorite, since forever.
I prefer the original than the rebuild

>pic
That shit was amazing and disturbing at the same time.

I also liked the magma diving (10), ramiel and ep 24 for obvious reasons.

Wait what?! Does Jerry actually die? What ep?

Is it the one were Shinji runs away and camps in the woods? That one was max psychology and comf

Anyone have this version of Thanatos (If I can't be yours) for piano pic related?

willing to trade this version of Fly me to the moon (In other words) pic related

Magma diver is the only weak episode. All the other range from good to amazing.

My favorite episodes are: 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 14, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25 and 26.

Why is everybody hating on Magma Diver so hard? I mean, it's not amazing, but it's not that horrible or bad either

>Do you not think the use of the two thirds balance is important for cohesive works?
>yet another one to whom the rule of the thirds is the most important thing when framing
that's a rule of thumb, expand your horizons man you sound like you just took photography 101 and are acting all cool about it

must be this one or ep2

It would be okay in any other show, but when it is surrounded by so many amazing episodes, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Also, it's an Asuka episode

Episode 23 is just so well paced imo. The Angel and Rei are dead by the halfway mark but the suspense immediately picks up again when we see Rei III, then we get into the Eva graveyard and the Reiquarium, which somehow ends up being more fucked up than the Armisael fight. Also, the moment when Thanatos plays as Unit 00 rushes at the Angel is sublime.