"Major" is now named "Mira" instead of "Motoko"

culturess.com/2017/03/01/ghost-shell-changed-name-main-character/

If you think I'm a shill then please, enable ad block

>Yup, you can hear the scientist calling our protagonist “Mira” instead of “Motoko.” The casting of Scarlett Johansson has never really gone over that well anyway. Here’s The Verge’s reporting on the film’s director from November of last year. And Slashfilm from June 2016. Granted, the name chance is a relatively minor detail, all told, but it’s a very clear sidestep to try and avoid accusations of whitewashing that they haven’t been able to sidestep since it came out that Scarlett Johansson would be playing the role in the first place.

Still worried?

Other urls found in this thread:

wikihow.com/Act-Like-an-Anime-or-Manga-Character
youtube.com/watch?v=yModCU1OVHY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That bitch is so ugly why do people even like her? She can barely act in those shitty superhero movies as well

>Still worried?
Yes because at this point they might as well call the movie "Soul in the Frame"

no one cares about that jew here

>why do people even like her?
Cause of her ass in the marvel movies

Lost In Translation was a good movie.

If they just call her Major for 95% of the time, I think I can take it.

it makes no difference. seriously.

>Still worried?
No, I don't watch 3DPD garbage, fuck off to Sup Forums.

Not thanks to her. It was good despite her shitty face and acting.

This doesn't exist in my eyes anyway, so I don't really care. The only thing that could make me care would be Ron Perlman as Batou and they already failed at that.

That's not a bad title.

Jesus christ why hollywoodfags such know it all retards. The're making this movie because the original was good why do they feel the need change things.

>Still worried?
>worried
I don't think anyone expected this film to be good when you have such a shitlord director.

Anybody here that didn't like the first movie cos it was just too slow and boring .
But love the second movie and think its a 9/10

cause it was shit

>minor detail
It's the main character's name.
That's not minor.
The only resemblance is they start both with "M".

Why is nobody angry that they changed the back story in Arise?

She is just a simulacrum from the original Motoko
She is Punished Major

Americans can't probably pronounce Motoko correctly so I don't mind

J U S T

Sounds like a bootleg title of one of those Asylum movies.

It's actually some fake identity they gave her
I still don't think it will be a great movie though and that last trailer was terrible

But people were angry about it. In fact, the primary reason people hate Arise is because the backstory sucked. What are you smoking

It's gonna be nice movie that will earn shitload of money and new era begin. era of blockbuster live action anime.

can't wait.

But everyone hated Arise.

>its another "I have to find out about my past and the conspiracy surrounding it" sci-fi flick

I can't believe its fucking Robocop copy, no joke

>era of blockbuster live action anime
I wouldn't mind if it were regular anime so we could at least get nice animation on the big screen.
But live action is crap.

>complaints about a Caucasian woman playing a Japanese character (although the name change is probably to remedy this)
>no one cares about the two black actors playing Japanese characters (Ishikawa and Borma)

And isn't Saito meant to be Iranian?

>monsterverse
>capeverse
>animeverse

Who cares, it'll be a flop and hopefully they'll give up trying to make shitty live-action anime movies.

yeah and according to someone from Sup Forums that went to a special event the spider tank had red glowing eyes (all the CGI and special effects looked good though)

This. I heard the plot is Sec.9 is deceiving major to do something until Kuze reveals this to her.

You're not allowed to be upset about black people in Hollywood, user. It's against the New American Rules.

Naw, Saito's being played by an actual Japanese actor (Yutaka Izumihara). They nailed the casting with him and Aramaki imo, everyone else looks retarded

I plan on watching this when it comes out, do I need or should I watch anything else GitS related before?
Besides the name I don't know anything about it.

yeah, you can see it in the trailer. At least the tank is a carbon-copy of the one from 1995 (for better or worse)

I guess you don't need to, since its meant to introduce modern western audiences to the franchise. But I'd highly recommend watching the original 1995 film at some point, since it'll inevitably be better than the 2017 one

>Shonen Jump cinematic universe

>Kuze ends up being a good guy, revealing the conspiracy in Section 9
>Aramaki ends up being a baddie who is trying to control the Major into doing his bidding

gas me now senpai

I WAS JAPANESE ALL ALONG
even fucking worse. the plot is ltierally
>they stole my life
>now ill get my revenge.
its gonna be absolute ass

They should've just named her Jane Excalibur.

Everything remotely popular gets a rehash a decade later. They milk the franchise for all its worth.

Seven Samurai (1954) was turned into the Magnificent Seven (1960) for western audiences and practically copied down scene by scene which completely disgusted Kurosawa.

Then they banked on the name again and released another shittier version of Magnificent Seven in 2016 with Denzel Washington.

There is no respect for the medium or source material. If money can be made, they WILL make it.

>If money can be made, they WILL make it.
i don't see a problem here.

> (OP)
>>Still worried?
>Yes because at this point they might as well call the movie "Soul in the Frame"
Lolol real talk, just rebrand it as a whole new movie, give it that title, sit back and the cash flow in

>which completely disgusted Kurosawa
Why?
Did Hollywood make the movie without his ok?

That whitewashing bullshit is as retarded as the shitters crying about cultural appropriation or asking for more positive discrimination.

This is a fucking movie if everyone could forget about their representation as a snowflake and just enjoy a nice ass spouting inane """"deep"""" philosophy between gunfights the world would be a better place.

>there are more people upset that the main character is miscast than other characters being miscast
oh no haha wow how will people ever overcome this perfect retort you sure ended this debate now son please kill yourself

>go out of your way to reshoot several scenes in 3D from the anime movie
>fuck with the story
usually it's the other way around lol

but it is so original and fresh! There have never been any Hollywood Sci-Fi movies where this was essentially the plot!

>muh tokoooooo

>maybe if I use buzzwords people will stop talking about things I don't like to talk about!

have you considered staying put in Sup Forums?

>1960 Hollywood being sensitive to Japan

are you being serious?

so now she's not even Japanese at all? reeee

I am excited for this movie

the people responsible for this shit should just die

>caring about shitty murrican remakes
For what reason? It was obvious they were going to butcher it from the very beginning,

Good. I can't wait for whites and their weak genes to disappear. The genocide we need.

At least they properly credited the source of the film. Sergio Leone completely ripped off Yojimbo for Fistful of Dollars, and then claimed it was his original idea.

Movie will be at least good for a laugh I hope.

Literally don't care. One of the primary appeals of anime and manga is the Japanese artstyle. 3DPD.

Oh look, it's another bored faggot from Sup Forums trying to derail threads

>name written in English

Hahahahaha. What a joke.

Was the cast of mostly white people unable to pronounce Motoko?

I SURE HOPE SHE PREPARED HERSELF FOR HER ROLE PROPERLY

wikihow.com/Act-Like-an-Anime-or-Manga-Character

>2017
>watching (((Hollywood))) live action drivel

lol

Wait so they gave the white girl an Americanized name but not the black guy?

If this means more attention being brought to comparatively obscure Shonen series (like MCU did for GotG and Dr. Strange) then I'm down for it

That's probably because most of the people complaining haven't actually watched anything GitS. Or if they have they only saw the first film which doesn't really focus on them at all.

Also Borma looks to ridiculous to get mad about. Personally though I think the Ishikawa is ok. It's not in anyway good, but at least he almost resembles the character. Can't say that for Borma.

I hope GitS and Death Note flop and Hollywood will just give up. This stuff doesn't translate well to 3D.

This would honestly be a pretty sweet album cover.

I still can't get over how those eyes look, did no one look at that and tell then to change it? For fuck sake

What is this retarded screeching about "miscast"? Kusanagi for asian looks like pure, caucasian woman.

>Still worried?
For what?
Take that shit to

I'm going to ignore the obvious troll post, but it rustled my jimmies.

If you watch the first movie, you can make the case that bodies are interchangeable and ghosts transcended race. HOWEVER, integrity of the art represents that the Major is in fact Japanese therefore it would make sense that her or his if you buy into the theory that the major is actually a man body would also be Japanese.

Didn't that theory crop up because of a misunderstanding during an interview?

>integrity of the art

you mean character looking like white european?

Normies love her for some reason. In Marvel they see her as this stronk woman who needs no man, when her character is not exactly a super heroine. Right now she is female Batman.

So american autists would also scream about casting asian for this aryan?

for comparison stage play lmao

Cosplay tier. Absolutely zero effort put into trying to make it look like something that would actually exist in 3D.

I literally don't give a shit. I've already made up my mind that I'm not gonna go see this movie since I know it'll suck ass, so any more I know about it won't change my opinion and make me think more or less of it. We all know that it'll be a dumb half-baked technobabble action flick that'll completely miss the point of what made Oshii's movie so great, so why even bother discussing it?

I hope they do.
What are they doing to do about the American Empire?

youtube.com/watch?v=yModCU1OVHY

The change of the name isn't even the worst part of this teaser.
They clearly said that the major had a real body right untill it was destroyed and they had to make her a cyborg.

The real reason the Major is special is because she has always been a brain in a cybernetic body, since she was born.
This changes COMPLETELY the philosophical and psychological implication.
Now there is nothing special about her, or they'll have to tone down the cybernetic technologies for all other charcters.

What the shit were they thinking.
I was fine with whitewashing.
I was fine with a bad actress.
But this is going too far.
Fuck hollywood.

I admit, that is pretty fucking appalling.

>The real reason the Major is special is because she has always been a brain in a cybernetic body, since she was born.
Is that true? I thought she was a little girl who got in an accident, lost the function of her arms and legs and then she was put into a cyborg body.

Mira Kusanagi? More like More-a Culinary lol

>mfw they're trying to pull a kojima
>mfw mira is just a clone or some shit who will die halfway through the movie and actual motoko is played by a japanese actress

SCREENCAP THIS

>DUDE TOKEN BLACK CHARACTERS, FUCKING JEWISH SJW LMAO AMIRITE??
>oh wait, they replaced an Asian character with a white one?
>reee
>screamingpepe.jpg
Make up your mind, autists.

I don't remember if it was since birth or just since she was a little kid.
But in both cases it's completely different than being an adult that gets switched to a cybernetic body.
>Having always been in a real body and being suddenly switched against
>Having been almost all your life in a cybernetic body, considering it normal, having your own sense of self being built on those premises, >Having your most defining years, childood and adolescence in a mechanical body.
>Having an artificial sense of growth by switching bodies with bigger ones in steps instead of gradually growing.
>Lodsing the way that the mind and the body growth intertwine in ways impossible to understand

Someone says that even how easy it is for the Major to get naked is also to show how she is emotionally distant from her body and considers it nothing more than an object, since she's used to it since ever.

Having her be a six million dollar men loses all that, loses all the inhumanity that you can sometimes feel from the major.
I don't know, maybe I'm more upset than I should. But still I feel this is the worst thing they did to this movie so far.

i fucked up
The "against" in the first greentext line should have been in a separate line

Unfuckingbelievable

I'm gonna see it because I know it's gonna suck ass and I want to complain on the internet about how much they fucked up.

Did you forget the concept of full body replacement?

why do they fucking do this guys, first DBZ now Ghost in the Shell. They are just gonna run through the library fucking the highest selling stuff up.
Next is gonna be Akira if ghost in the shell is successful.

Thanks for the 2 month old news. I didn't click on your website.

>Major Mira Killian

Is this a fucking 4Kids dub or something?

Regardless, I have no interest in seeing it. I preferred the "walking and talking" of the 1995 film, and given the fact that this already has Robo Cop's backstory, I have a strong feeling it's going to be the usual Hollywood "it's an action film with some forced romance and a mustache twirling villain".