I'm pro-capitalism but, I don't love it unconditionally...

I'm pro-capitalism but, I don't love it unconditionally. The biggest flaw relating to capitalism is planned obsolescence.

When your gramps or dad bitches about how television sets used to last longer he isn't talking out his ass, the quicker rate of modern tvs compared to old tvs is just one rampant example of how planned obsolescence has grown like a cancer since.. oh when was the last time they were still building things to last? the early 90's?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/vFhUh
amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-21-5-Inch-HDMI-Monitor/dp/B015WCV70W/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1513970991&sr=1-1&keywords=monitor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_design#Emotionally_durable_design
amazon.com/TracFone-Rebel-LTE-Prepaid-Smartphone/dp/B01M0786QB/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513972413&sr=1-9&keywords=smartphone
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Wouldn't buy a $20 lightbulb at store. Mainly shops according to price buys .99 lightbulbs
Why won't someone build a lightbulb factory and sell me one that last for 50 years for $1?

It's a well known fact that decades ago the industrials that were producing lightbulbs reunited as a cartel and decided to start this planned obsolescence thing by altering the internals with something that would have broken in 1/10th of the time than a standard light bulb that they've been producing since then.

The reason is the same as today: since the lightbulb was so reliable, they did not gain money, so they sabotaged their own products (all togheter) and the rest is history.

here: archive.is/vFhUh

No matter how much you spend on the junk produced, it is still just junk.

Very true. I have an nice little tv from the mid 80s or so and it's still running perfectly fine. Sometimes I still use it for playing older console games. While my dad bought a bunch of big expensive tv sets the decades after that and most of them are broken by now. Friend of mine is an electronics engineer and showed me how most if not all consumer LCD screen are by now built by stuffing delicate electronics right next to power supply components which heat up, design flaw which was created on purpose to reduce their lifetime. Of course there are still companies building decent monitors for professional use but you need to do some research to find them.

But planned obsolescence was introduced way earlier. Most notable examples are Ford's cars, that light bulb cartel, and cloth factories adding runs in their stocking on purpose.

Shit like that is simply unethical and should be banned by consumer protection laws. But it's hard to prove (or easy to deny) they do it on purpose even though everybody knows it.

read the fucking article and not just the headline if you want to talk about it
they slowed down the iphone 6 because of an issue with battery failure caused by cpu throttling

adding on to this, there's a ~century-old lightbulb still running somewhere in california. the articles on it try to paint it as this mysterious sacred object instead of simply saying "hey, we used to build really good lightbulbs and here's one of the surviving relics for proof".

I have a 6 and it has gotten very slow this past year and I had suspected this all along.

It started freezing quite a bit when opening the camera too.

Motherfuckers.

>it's a people who can't afford iphones complain about iphones thread

In my office I have an old television from the late 1990s.

Works like a charm, even the picture is nice and clear though it's non HD resolution.

Will probably continue using it until it dies, which might be a long time.

we're discussing multiple markets and money-grabs. in a related matter, i really need to look into roofs. i fucking know there are roofing materials that last a century, but all this bullshit tar felt paper shingles get used and have the same warranty as sturdier material

so it's ok for a company to decide for the consumer? The owner can't elect between battery issues and speed throttling? they have to be guided to a new phone 'for their own good'?

Large if big

You know nobody is forcing you to buy an iphone, right? If you don't like their business practices, you can buy from somebody else. That's the point of the free market.

Lol... the obama administration legally banned the importation of the gas that goes into incandescent light bulbs. They also banned the manufacturing of incandescent bulbs over 60watts. Your idea is illegal

Planned obsolescence is not a real thing
Things are not built to last because there is not market for them
People what new cheap disposable crap

You decide to buy they product

Well it's the company which decided to use glue in their phones so that users can't replace them themselves.

I shop by durability and can't find what I'm looking for. My favorite coat is ugly, but it's old and sturdy like nothing I can find today. Problem is, after literal decades of use it is no longer THAT sturdy, and all I can find to replace it is cheap, disposable crap. This is definitely one of my (few) gripes with capitalism.

If only there were companies that didn't throttle your phone as it got older. Hmm. It sucks that we are forced to buy iPhones. Darn capitalism.

1. just buy samsung or motorola. lg is fine too
2. your tv is shit because you got a cheap black friday brand
3. stop paying cheap spics to build your shit
4. quit being gay

They said, "it's to save battery power"

>Planned obsolescence is not a real thing
Did you even read the OP's image?

There's always a market for quality products. I'd rather a bit pay extra and get a product which doesn't break right after the warranty expired.

Why do niggers and wiggers love iChink products so much?

Did your read the article where is about battery issues?

OPs image would be more like forced obseletion

Its a niche market
Especially for things like electronics that are obsolete in a few years anyway

Find out company A is jewing you. People switch to company B.

The free market, as always, fixes it.

Iphones are for numales anyway

>IT'S A CONSPIRACY BY THE CORPORATIONS MAAN
No. Do you actually know people in real life? They prefer to buy cheap crap instead of longer lasting stuff for more. The smartphone market is entirely covered in these retards. It's not corporations being evil and #fuckcapitalism. It's literally just retards being retards.

>There's always a market for quality products.
Its not a viable long term market though, you'd never be rich from making solid TVs or phones.

crt tvs used to fail regularly.

Cheap junk isn't viable for a planet with extreme overpopulation and limited resources

Jokes on them, when my monitor failed I opened it up & replaced all the capacitors, now it works like new.

You could easily dominate the entire industry if people were willing to pay for them.

I think it's a low wattage bulb that never gets turned off, in a fire station I believe.

New ones are cheaper and better

This is incredibly fucked up. They should be sued into oblivion for this.. Stock price should get raped and they should be forced to get new leadership.

How long has this been going on for? Was it happening when Steve Jobs was there?

The capacitors cost a couple of quid, way cheaper than a new monitor, and I'm perfectly happy with it, don't need a (new) one.

Nobody cares, user. People replace their iphones every 1-2 years anyway.

New ones are like $100

This. Just take your time with the plastic clips when pulling the clam shell apart, you can buy a solder cheap, capacitors are also cheap.

I don't. I got my first smart phone a few years ago, iPhone 5. Then they released the bendgate phone and now they're on 10 or 11 or whatever, and they all look shit. I'd only want another 5, only with better battery.

I don't really understand what the big fuss is about this. Every article talks about how the iphone batteries don't last so they slow the phone down otherwise it will just flat out shut off because it can't keep up. Why is this a big deal? Would you rather have a slow phone or one that just turns off? Am I missing something here or what

>I'd only want another 5, only with better battery.
Isnt that basically what the SE is?

That's about £75, show me where I can buy a decent monitor for £75 ?

>The biggest flaw relating to capitalism is planned obsolescence.
fucking kill yourself 38 IQ mutt

There's a reason why they solder in the battery. I miss Samsung's replaceable battery design.

amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-21-5-Inch-HDMI-Monitor/dp/B015WCV70W/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1513970991&sr=1-1&keywords=monitor

Fucking commie

I don't know. I don't keep up with new gadget tech.

I lurked Sup Forums for a while and bought in to the anti-apple memes and then when I got my iphone and used icloud I found them to be a lot better than I was told. What they do badly is charge more money for their specs compared to other companies.

No one cares about what mass produced means for the future of the planet.

But it'd be niche since you have to make some sacrifices to make something more durable, selling durable electronics would only work for bigger things like TVs.

Well yeah, they can. If you don't like it, go to a more open platform. If one doesn't exist, make it. Capital is fucking cheap now.

Monopolies and oligopolies basically never exist without this kind of government interference, usually under the guise of consumer protection.

>just buy other brands lmao

Most retarded argument I’ve ever heard. No smartphone company produces durable smartphones. Ive gone through pretty much all the brands looking for a durable phone and I cant find shit. My wife has a Lenovo, broke down in months. I tried an Asus and a Huwaei, both fucked up. Samsung went slow...the only phone I have that lasted ages was an old Nokia windows phone that worked like a charm but I havent used in a few months. If someone produced a durable phone we would all be able to name it in a heartbeat. Since we cant and we disagree noone does.

TVs i disagree though, modern sonys and other such brands that arent some sort of new, ridiculous technologies are perfectly fine. If you buy gimmicks like 3d and curved screens you’re just being a good goy and its expected you will be again.

I would be against that, but they ADMIT to it! (and its pretty well known now for a time that they made it that way)
If you're still stupid enough to buy this shit, despite all the information you can get on this, or products in general then you should be euthanised
seriously

>This item does not ship to United Kingdom
Try again.

Capitalism needs control, not differently for why cars need speed limits.

>amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-21-5-Inch-HDMI-Monitor/dp/B015WCV70W/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1513970991&sr=1-1&keywords=monitor

Holy shit that's cheap. I mean, it's an HP, but still. Does it have good color accuracy?

I overspent on a Benq and it developed blemishes after the warranty expired.

yeah and everybody has always known that the whole "can't remove battery" thing is a scam. Why is any of this even news? Apple fucks you by keeping the battery in but does what they can so your shit doesnt just power off eventually.

The only reason I got one is cause everyone I know is on facetime

>EE student here
Incandescent light bulbs can theoretically last forever, they only encounter wear when turned on and off. So if you leave them on, as this user said:
they'll last forever.

It would be easy for them to simply make a replaceable battery but instead they jew you by forcing (most people) to buy new phones for battery problems

are you a trumpcuck?

>I'm pro-capitalism but, I don't love it unconditionally. The biggest flaw relating to capitalism is planned obsolescence.

That is not a flaw. Companies who do this and get outed will get a bad reputation and less people purchasing their product. If people decide to purchase anyway, the fool deserves to be separated from their money.

>Capitalism needs control
No you just need to stop being stupid with your money. Capitalism actually needs less control.

Niggers like looking rich, it's always about appearances for them. Wiggers want to be like the nigs so they follow suit.

Planned obsolescence is not the problem. It is a symptom of the problem. In a competitive market, companies that rely on planned obsolescence will be destroyed by those that don't. The solution is stricter anti-trust laws.

i have my samsung Xcover now since 6 years

Technically you can replace the battery in Samsung phones still. They're just a mess to open. Not soldered though.

Are you telling me people are just now turning their phones around and noticing they can't remove batteries? This has been known and it's what you get for buying shit trendy products

the market for slim phones > market for replaceable batteries

Yeah that's why apple is on the edge of bankrupcy right... right?

Lolbertarians need to understand that the free market died with tv commercials.

>Monopolies and oligopolies basically never exist without this kind of government
Not "basically", just "never". There's not a single example of a monopoly which didn't require the intervention of the government to enforce it. There are dominant market positions (e.g., a single company owning 80% of the market share) but that's because their product is better than everyone else. That's the free market at work.

Found the faggot who pre-orders NBA 2K shit every year

My Galaxy S3 still works great after 5 years. I had to replace the battery once, but $25 every few years is a totally acceptable maintenance cost to me.

I get buying a Mac because you want an (overpriced) well built, aesthetic computer, but why the fuck would anyone get an iphone over an android phone?

This fits with both localism (called Fascism by imperialist-globalists) and the green agenda.

Imagine Emotionally durable design but for a society:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_design#Emotionally_durable_design

because iphones are so hot right now

Idiots. The phones are intentionally slowed down because otherwise the dated batteries (which improve with each iteration) will wear down faster due to the increased churn on the processor from upgraded software.

Apple isn't slowing your peoples down arbitrarily *just* so they upgrade. And they would be stupid to hamstring their feature development for obsolete hardware.

More features = more processing power required = more power consumption

Stupid people existing does not kill the free market. If people can't be stupid then they don't deserve anything better.

Because its not something most people care about

I'm still using my note 3, bought brand new in early 2014. Absolutely nothing has been replaced and it works like a charm. I still plan to hold onto it for a few more years

Anyone that's not retarded knows this to be false.
Light bulbs can have an incredibly long life if they are designed to emit less visible light.
That 100 year old bulb is basically just a warm wire, about 500C.
It also produces about 1/50th the light it could.
People want bright lights and efficiency. If they have to change it every 2 years they really don't care.
Also during the life of the filament, it gets dimmer.
Now CFLs, that was a scam. Those were forced on people, and the technology was shit. LEDs are the only good source now.

>why the fuck would anyone get an iphone over an android phone?
Sleek, fast, useful, etc.

>get an iphone
facetime
plus virgin had a deal if you buy one you get a years worth of service for $1

Socialsits need to understand that actions speak louder than words. The fact you spew garbage about planned obsolescence being the worst thing ever, when your spending habits and everyone else's ignores it completely, show you are full of shit. Durability is not prioritized because people don't care about it. That's it.

Planned obsolescence is disgusting and we should be ashamed of wasting resources to make products that break down on purpose in order to make people buy more. Sickening.

My neighbor has a steel roof. Looks like shit now but original to 1956, no leaks!

>No you just need to stop being stupid
Yeah, this usually works so well!

If 7 out of 10 people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for crap phone, 2 willing to pay hundreds of dollars if it has the specs of a pc, and you alone want a simple phone, for a reasonable price, guess what? You are not going to get it.
inb4 just make your own company mate!

Can confirm. Products are engineered with cheaper materials to keep costs down, and then later you upgrade once the product's lifecycle is over. See pic related. It keeps the cashflow going. Also we make products hard to open to fix by using cheap plastic connectors that break, or tape to void warranties.

We live in a finite resource world. Better quality would reduce waste desu.

They do this because most people won't pay for something that would last forever, planned obsolescence is a made up bogeyman.

If they don't make money then that threatens the existence of lightbulbs themselves, you either raise the price or make a worse quality item.

$30

amazon.com/TracFone-Rebel-LTE-Prepaid-Smartphone/dp/B01M0786QB/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513972413&sr=1-9&keywords=smartphone

50 years of electricity cost will far outweigh the 1$ purchase price. You should just but an led now, one in 10 years, another in 25, then never again.

I'm sorry but pizzabro is right

This. You get what you pay for.

what's the wattage on that thing?

Under capitalism, you are free to buy Meizu or Xiami or any other phone, no one forces you to buy a bad product. Good luck with your ''free'' comradephone

You know there's nothing stopping you from building and selling these century lasting light-bulbs, right? Ever think why it's not already done? Hint: it's not that difficult of an answer.

Light bulb conspiracy wasn't a thing really.

Longer lasting incandescents have to rely on lower temperatures, which means it will emit another spectrum. A much less efficient spectrum.
Bulb life was sacrificed for efficiency.
No conspiracy, more efficient light bulbs are cheaper even if they don't last as long.

>even the picture is nice and clear though it's non HD resolution.
Crts are far superior at adapting to resolution ranges where as lcds going north or south of their native res look like hot shit.