SPOILERS, ENDING THREAD

Anyone prefer the FMA anime original ending to the manga ending?

No

>Ed and Al: Nazi hunters

Not at all.

I'm convinced that everybody who prefers that ending is just depressed.

No. Now kys

Yes. It wasn't the ending to a dbz anime

The manga ending was just too facile. Getting your body back by giving up your knowledge of alchemy? What a lame asspull after building up an entire series based on equivalent exchange.

It sure beats the asspull that the whole nazi story was, though.

it wasn't giving up the knowledge of it , it was giving up the ability of it. how is it an asspull? the only thing I see is the exchane not being equivalent enough.
>give up your tie to the mortal world for an arm
like what?
>give up your ability to do alchemy for someones soul
ok.

>the only thing I see is the exchane not being equivalent enough.
That's probably why he called it an asspull. It goes against one of the core principles of the show.

>implying that at least half of us aren't depressed
also, jesus can we not have this thread again
so god help me if i see another 2003 or brotherhood thread i'm spamming it with re;zero or jojo or some shit like that

It's not an asspull when you consider the logistics of the scene. In the case of Hohenheim, Izumi Curtis and Mustang, each of their "Truth" rooms had one Portal of Truth, that being the one they passed through to get there. In Ed and Al's case, there was two - one each - because they passed through at the same time on the same transmutation. Of course, Ed didn't realise there was two at first.

So when he performs the final transmutation to get Al's soul back, what is really being exchanged is his entire life for Al's soul, consequently extinguishing his own Portal of Truth. Normally, that would leave him trapped beyond the Portal of Truth since his way in vanished. But, since he was connected to Al's Portal as well, he was able to essentially walk back out the back door with his life intact but his connection to the Portal severed.

I like that the 2003 ending doesn't just have a fully happy ending. There is loss at the end of the day that the characters have to grow from as opposed to Brotherhood where the only characters who die are Hughes, an old man nearing the end of his life, and a guy whose death only affects his minor character soldiers.

On the other hand, I hated pretty much everything else about the 2003 ending and liked that Ed and Winry ended up together. If only the Brotherhood ending was less relentlessly cheerful and cheesy. It's not bad, but it's a bit too "We beat the main villain and now everything is perfect." for my tastes.

>Ed accidentally gives up his brother's body and receives amazing powers
>Ed gives up his amazing powers to get back his brother's body

How is that not equivalent?

>FMA anime original ending
Except it didn't have an ending. It just had a cliffhanger that was supposed to conclude in the movie but the movie ended with another cliffhanger.

Ed was never given amazing powers beyond maybe The Clap which in the manga might be something any alchemist could do while only in 03 was it said to be only something those who saw the Gate could do

YES

/thread

No, because Edward never tapped that Winry pussy.
Same goes for Al and the Chinese girl

It's explicitly said in the manga/Brotherhood that transmuting without a circle is not possible except by those who have seen Truth

I like both.

Ed doesn't accidentally give up his brother's body. He exchanges it for human transmutation. However when he reverses it, he is not required to pay for it in kind.

ohh shitt. way to go user that make sense now. it like selective perception as to why they didnt see the two doors before because they thought there could only be one answer to a problem.

>not want to fuck Winry

I thought Al gave up his body in order to bring their mom back. Not give Ed powers.

no they miscalulated and the truth said nah uh I want more

>There is loss
In Brotherhoods too.
>and now everything is perfect
You probably missed a lot of things.

They didn't have the "money" for it in any case.

The whole point of Human Transmutation is that nobody knows how to make change for a human soul; Ed and Al tried to pay for a human body and overdrafted hard. People who know how bad human transmutation is have still tried to pay for it, and they still were writing checks they couldn't cash.

Remember that Al was just eaten in the reaction and Ed (SINCE IT WORKED SO WELL THE FIRST TIME) immediately did a second bit of human alchemy, trading his arm to bind Al's soul.

Circle-less alchemy is a byproduct of this kind of fuckup.

Like says, he went in there to pay his whole life for Al... and finds out he's got store credit...

one thing I don't get is why was his body just sitting there in the void? and why did it seem like there was a person in there instead of a lifeless husk and I wouldve thought the body would be the same as when he was a kid but nope full grown adult, cause I assume thats why the panda girl was there to be a waifu for al when he gets back

Not so much that they don't know, it's that there is no way to retrieve souls that have long since passed.

Father was able to "resurrect" the Xerses king and its people because he had their souls and just popped out new bodies for them. In the case of Trisha, and many others, it seems that once a soul has been released, it's gone for good and any attempt to revive that one individual is just going to lead to a massive fucked up abomination that either dies (like the "person" Al and Ed thought was their mom), or persists in a barely sentient state of life (like the little girl that blind alchemist from the side-story created who had an orphan body-double).

As pointed out, Ed and Al really lucked out in that by being pulled into their gates simultaneously, they were able to get what amounts to a free pass when Ed gives up his gate.

No, it made no sense.

Is this thread a sticky?

Brotherhood > 2003

End of discussion.