Is ramen that good?

Is ramen that good?

Go to a fucking restaurant and try it out yourself

yes, so much yes

Only in Japan

Maybe when it doesn't come out of a plastic and paper cup that you bought from the quicky mart down the street.

Only if it's made using bone marrow, then it's delicious. Bonus points for green onion garnish.

>went down to university this year
>new Asian restaurant opens up
>they sell ramen

This year started off good, man. That's a yes, incidentally.

>Is ramen that good?
depends

If you're talking about the instant ramen? then no.

If you're talking about "real" nip style ramen, sure it can be fucking fantastic. But there are a million types of it, so don't go into it thinking it's all the same.

Yes proper ramen is fucking great but pho is better

Pho is a miracle of the universe in that it's always good no matter where you get it
It's like the Asian equivalent of pizza only even more guaranteed tasty

It's excellent comfort food. If you're lucky enough to live near a place that really specializes and prides itself as a ramen shop, you'll be able to also find a ramen variety that will definitely suit you.

Pho is superior for hangovers and general revitalization, must be all those dank spices and herbs that rejuvenate you. The cilantro and the anise flavor in the broth is actually too strong for some people.

>Pho is a miracle of the universe in that it's always good no matter where you get it
No, I've had shitty pho before. Mind you, I am Vietnamese but still, in the greater Washington DC area there's some shit-tier pho that's essentially just beef broth with some star anise thrown in.
It's heinous to find some considering the prices it goes for (a bowl is $10 on average, granted that's normal considering the time it takes to make the bone broth), and the tragedy that a lot of people still support those restaurants.

I used to be a bit tisy with my eggs, always fried and hard yolk. Then I tried ramen and let me tell you nothing beats the broth soaked egg white and rich golden yolk of a soft boiled egg.

No, it is fatty and grstly shit. Pho is the patrician choice!

Tried Spicy Tonkotsu ramen before and it was the best soup-like meal I've ever had.

I'm in Ottowa (Canada) and there's practically a Pho place on every other block and they're more or less all the same, but also all great.

> Newbie thinks ramen's just cup noodles

Hell yes, ramen is that good. Each bowl has killer fresh noodles, and it normally comes with a few slices of barbecued pork or chicken. The main draw of ramen, however, is the broth. There are actually four types of ramen broth you can get hot and fresh.

> Tonkotsu
My personal favorite. It's practically liquified pork bones with the nice, rich, and practically milky taste you'd expect.

> Shio
Literally salt broth, it's the lightest broth you can get. If you like Chinese noodle soups, you'll love Shio.

>Shoryu
It's a chicken broth that's been enhanced with soy sauce. Not as rich as Tonkotsu but not as light as Shio, just well balanced.

> Miso
If you're veg, then this is the broth to get. Unlike Shio, Shoryu, and Tonkotsu, it's a broth made from vegetables and fermented soy beans. Don't worry, it has an rich and earthy flavor so you won't miss out too much.

As someone who used to be a chef at a Ramen restuarant, you grow to hate it.
I can eat instant ramen everyday but real ramen, once a week is enough.

Lanzhou Lamian > Ramen > Pho >>>>>>>> every other food

Ramen is good, but i much prefer udon actually

When you have it made from scratch, you will cum with the force of 1,000,000,000 lions.

>comparing soup base to flavoring

And you're here trying to act like an expert. It can be simultaneously Tonkotsu and any of the other 3. In fact it has to be one of the other 3 if it's Tonkotsu.

I'd say great ramen trumps pho, but pho usually wins out.

Jeez. In LA, bowls tend to be 8 bucks.

It's just noodles.

>tfw vietfag
vietfag here too (westcoast), our average price is 7 or 8 usd but 5-6 usd is anywhere around the corner too, especially if you are in Garden Grove. They are good and long lasting but they'll bore you eventually, and it hurts more when you live in a town where they are in every corner.

It's soup. You can make soup yourself to try it out.
Soup is good.

proper ramen is a really comfy food that fills you with warmth

This guy gets it. Spicy bun bo hue > regular pho though

Ramen is literally poor people food

>Spicy bun bo hue
I'd be willing to bet most people who try this for the first time who aren't used to Vietnamese cuisine period will find that the lemongrass and congealed pork blood a bit of a shock, super off putting flavor at first.

food in anime thread?

>$8
I think it's a good deal if you can add extra noodles for a dollar.

Yes, Maruchan is good.

>lemongrass and blood
That sounds like a strange combination of flavours but I like both so it should be cool, blood dishes are great

It's fucking shit.

>he doesn't know poor people food is always the best food

Fuck you, instant ramen is fantastic.

Please
Ramen >>>>> Pho >>>>>>>>> other types of noodles

Hell, even mediocre ramen is still delicious compared to most other things, but an actually good bowl of ramen is absolutely heavenly.

What type of noodles and food go into real ramen? Does it all just stew together or what?

>non-pork halal ramen

fuck my country

Authentic miso ramen makes me moist

Fellow LA user, I take it? What's your favorite ramen place here?

I'm torn between Shinsengumi and Tsujita.

I've never had pho. I'll have to try it next time I go to the Asian market.

How have you never had a shitty pizza before?

There are numerous ways to fuck up a pizza.

not him but I like shinsengumi for the one dollar refill. Never been to Tsujita before thou, I live in orange county but I recommend trying Anjin Japanese Barbecue if you want to taste exotic meat cut.

>people who try this for the first time who aren't used to Vietnamese cuisine period will find that the lemongrass and congealed pork blood a bit of a shock

This, so much this. Doesn't help that they told me it was pigs blood half bite into it.

My stupid fucking brother doesn't drink the broth from instant ramen or cup noodles. Only the noodles. It drives me crazy to no end.

If you live in a big city, you can find out for yourself. A bowl of ramen costs between $8 and $20. Look for reviews of places near where you live, and be a bit adventurous. You don't have to fly to Japan.

>tfw you want to try ramen that isn't from a bag but you literally have zero friends to eat out

Another SoCal fag here. Shinsengumi in Torrance is the only acceptable location for that chain. The others are actually measurably worse in quality. That said, it's fantastic and the refills are great too. Protip, try asking for EXTRA firm noodles if you're into that. It's perfect by that last, soup plumped bite of noodle.

Honestly, I drain them so they're not super soggy. Not completely, but enough.

I know, I'm a monster.

Yes, it is.

>that guy who doesn't drink the broth at an actual ramen joint, and only eats the noodles and meat
should be gunned down, to be honest

The soup sodium content will kill you

That's one of the few moments I wish I lived in Burgerland. You fags have so fucking options for shit to eat. Here in my 3rd world city? The latest 10 places to eat that opened were fucking pizza places. The ONE time someone opened something different, a fried chicken restaurant, it was bought in 6 months and turned into a burger restaurant. FOR FUCKS SAKE.

You forgot that Parisians have a long and illustrious history of blocking their streets with piles of shit.

We have really fucking good Ramen in Melbourne, I like it more than the ones i had in Japan

First time I ate it, I had to grin politely as I was honestly just really, really off put by the unique flavors. It's not bad, in fact after having it a handful of times over the years I can say it is delicious personally.

But for most people, even if you are adventurous, the whole time you'll just be trying to make sense of the unfamiliar flavors in your mouth.

>he doesn't go to ramen places by himself
You're not getting the full experience.

How dare you.
Breathing will kill me, let me drink my broth.

That depends. If you get ramen that's spicy as fuck, then add meat, eggs, and veggies to it, it's amazing.

>literally one of the best known meals to be enjoyed specifically alone at an establishment

Who dis?

If anything ramen is the most socially acceptable food to eat alone.

Also I'll go with you if you're in Toronto