What was the point of the spiral nemesis...

What was the point of the spiral nemesis? The anti spiral already had a motivation for their actions that had nothing to do with the spiral nemesis, so WHY did they introduce this extra element? It seems like some kind of hamfisted attempt to make the conflict more morally ambiguous, but the looming threat of the spiral nemesis never seemed to bring up any doubts in the spiral side.

The motivation of the anti-spirals was to prevent the Spiral Nemesis. That was their entire motivation.

>The anti spiral already had a motivation for their actions that had nothing to do with the spiral nemesis
Oh yeah? What was that?

Valuing an eternal state of no progress(the dream trap) over an uncertain future.

The dream trap was a weapon. Not something they valued as an ideal state of being.
And there was no "uncertain future". It was guaranteed that spiral nemesis would happen is spiral races continued without being stopped.

Were you writing fan fiction in your head while you were watching? They literally say that everything they've done was to prevent the Spiral Nemesis.

To rip off Getter even more.

No, that was to prevent the Spiral Nemesis. If they're trapped in extradimensional space they can't expend spiral power.

That's the thematic message.

their entire motivation was preventing spiral nemesis. this isn't a complicated anime, try actually listening to it.

Then why was the spiral nemesis treated as a legitimate concern instead the delusion of a bunch of space NEETs?

Because it is a legitimate concern. How does the post you replied to imply it isn't a legitimate concern?

TTGL is pretty abstract but it isn't that hard to understand, user.

Because it's like saying "progress is good, but then becomes infinitely bad once it crosses an arbitrary threshold."

What's arbitrary about a black hole destroying the entire universe? Seems like a pretty legitimate concern to me.

The threshold isn't fucking arbitrary, you complete fucking retard. If everyone in the universe turned into galaxies, the universe would undergo a big crunch. Every galaxy created spawns more species within its confines that can then evolve to become new galaxies. The universe isn't infinite, it's a finite space. Spiral organisms however have infinite potential. Do you not understand how big of a problem that is?

It's applying real world physics to something that is suppose to be symbolic.

because progress is good, but only if it's sustainable and resources are used responsibly. see, it's not hard. your comment is analagous to saying, "eating is good for me, so why is my doctor mad at me for eating cheeseburgers 6 times a day? his advice must be arbitrary"

except it isn't symbolic in the gurren lagann universe, people literally do become galaxies if they get strong enough, the main characters do it in the last episode.

The message is basically that thoughtless progress is bad, like destroying nature and such.

In universe. the idea is that they could progress to a point the entire universe ends up destroyed by their power running out of control since it becomes too large to control in any way.

Spiral power wasn't just concept, you can literally see it in action when they fight. Did you even watch TTGL or just read a summary so you could come here and shitpost?

Kamina's death was the real world being applied to a symbolic character. The real world is the reason why all the armies that showed up in other Dai-gurrens got themselves killed for charging in blindly at the spinning tornado fortress. Half the cast dies in space.

The real world is vital to the themes of the show. Is it not allowed to use any aspects of a coherent reality if it has an obvious metaphor for evolution and progress as a superpower? What meaning does a symbol have if you remove it from the context of the real world?

But this is concerning reaching a certain amount, not reaching a certain rate. They could have said something like "more space is constantly being created and the advancement of the spirals should not exceed that rate", but they never did. And "progress" isn't something we typically think of to moderate, or at least not the kind shown in Gurren Lagann. We never saw any horrible spiral abominations that resulted from somebody going too hard for example.

They literally say this, this prevent the Spiral Nemesis event.

ITT: some guy manages to misunderstand an anime aimed at 10 year olds

>Anti-Spiral
A race of seemingly infinitely powerful beings that had reached a perceived apex and decided.Well,what now?

If we keep getting stronger then something that we might not be able to control will happen,better cut this shit out and prevent everyone else from becoming that powerful.

>Spirals
Want to use spiral power to grow as a civilization and to live in an era of peaceful and tranquility instead of under the thumb of beings more powerful.Simon and everyone else just want to live their lives and have hope for the future,instead of the fear that the anti-spirals have

The spiral nemesis is literally fear and uncertainty.they didn't want to fuck a good thing up and let someone else who might not understand what could happen with that much power.But at the same time the Spiral and Anti-Spirals were both being selfish cunts for wanting to have that much power in the first place

There is no reason to think that gravity in gurren lagann works anything like gravity in our world. If the ability to defy gravity grows in proportion to spiral power, how the fuck is the spiral nemesis suppose to occur?

I'm convinced this is bait now.

What the fuck did that post have to do with gravity? What the fuck does gravity have to do with the Spiral Nemesis? Are you feeling well, user?

The spiral nemesis is a black hole.

No it isnt, its a theorized event but we dont know what exactly it is, we just know its something extremely powerful and will happen when theres enough total spiral energy in the universe

The spiral nemesis is spiral beings creating so much matter and energy from literally nothing that the escape velocity of the universe exceeds the expansion rate and eventually leads to a big crunch. Read a book nigga.

It's a BIG LIE just like GLOBAL WARMING

Of course. The spiral races didn't care because they are drunk on spiral power.

While not explicitly said in the anime, it is explained by the anti-spiral visually showing a black hole being formed.

While perhaps "symbolic", the main representation of spiral power shows that it disregards conservation of mass and thus introduced new mass into the universe.

Put two and two together, and the idea is that the anti-spiral's feared that a big crunch would occur if spirals were allowed to continue existing.

It's literally shown in the movie.
>Get powerful enough and you attract matter to you eating the universe

>A girl like yoko remaining a virgin her entire life

Yes, real world...

I thought it was more like the anti-spirals were afraid of the heat death of the universe. When you reduce local entropy (i.e. do anything or make anything) you actually increase the entropy of the larger system. So when you strive for anything you are bringing what is essentially the end of the universe closer. I guess the anti-spirals had created a more energy efficient system in the dream world so that they could fulfill some of their desires without an undue increase in entropy and curtailed the development of any other race so they wouldn't reach the same predicament.

> Rewatch TTGL
> Get to the timeskip
> Have to suffer through Rossiou and Kamina City

>rewatch TTGL
>not watching the movies to do so

It makes things so much more bearable.

Upper lips cause death in a few minutes.

What do you reckon the lower lips can do?

I think we just found out the event that causes the Spiral Nemesis

>throwing galaxies like shuriken and eating big bangs like candy
>not a legitimate concern

The Spiral Nemesis is fucking terrifying. Our entire galaxy is nothing more than a frisbee to them.

Maybe, but the diagram they show resembled a black hole and since it's shown that spiral power can produce galaxy sized machines I'd assume a big crunch was what they feared.

The dream world seemed more of a means to stop their potential spiral power, if anything.

The Spiral Nemesis is the idea that all spiral lifeforms will evolve and reproduce so fast that they will consume all of the universes resources and cause the end of the universe. they are not really "anti-spirals" they are spiral beings that want to preserve the universe by preventing spiral races from growing and evolving, pretty rude way of doing it tho.

Anti Spiral does everything to prevent spirals from becoming too powerfull because it fears what the spiral power could do if it's not controlled.
That's what the nemesis spiral is,the fear of a possibility. And considering they get retarded and exponetial growth of power it's understandable.
That's why they built traps that would destroy spiral beings (the energy-gravity transforming machine, their space and the posibilities labyrinth) while using fear as a metod of control and demoralization (Lordgenome, the spaceships and figthing the enemy with equal force), Anti Spiral's motivation was fear.
Simon and those who followed him value their freedom more than security, but they too feared and respected the power they had, that's why Simon gave his key and refused to revive the dead.

Nailed it.

The Antispirals wished to stop spiral progress because the exponential power could destroy the universe. The spirals wished to push forward because it is in their nature, and to stop is to accept death.

Simon understood from his experiences that a middle road could be taken. Neither high nor low, but that road meant letting the world turn without him.

You neither have to burn out, nor stagnate: You can just gently turn the crank and let the drill do the work.

They're for creating life you dunderhead

Balance in all things

underrated posts

underrated thread

Did Viral get spiral power at the end of the anime?
He was the best boy, so I wanted him to get what he always wanted to

>If we keep getting stronger then something that we might not be able to control will happen,better cut this shit out and prevent everyone else from becoming that powerful.

Nah, when Simon got super powerful at one point he saw the same thing Anti-Spiral saw. The more intune you are with spiral, the more you see the spiral nemesis as a reality, its not a joke.

Anti-spiral, Genome, and Simon all saw it, they all were forced to realize it was real, and make painful choices based on it. Two of them flinched upon seeing it, and gave up, sealing away everything in order to stop it. Simon was the only one who went "Yeah everything is going to die if we keep going, but whatever. I'll fix it later".

This is treated as an absolute truth, Genome and Anti-spiral both saw the eventual fate of the universe, and were mind broken by it. Even if they had to become Space Hitler, they'd do it in a heartbeat in order to save all of reality. Simon as well had a mind-break moment for a brief instant when he saw spiral nemesis, and realized what those two had realized before them. But he didn't let it stop him unlike them.

No, apparently it was possible to kick all impossibility to the curb except that of a beastmen's ability to get spiral power.

canned third season where they fight the spiral nemesis

The spiral nemesis was the threat of advancing so far you destroy the universe. The anti-spirals whole deal was preventing spirals from advancing that far. So they sealed themselves off and acted as a ceiling to block anyone from going any higher. Like the ceiling they break through to leave their underground shelter in the first episode.

The spiral nemesis was a critical component of the story.

Pretty much. Every villian has to be I"M ACTUALLY SAVING YOU!! ITS ONLY MISUNDERSTANDINGS!!!!

Although I do like them understanding on a certain level that people would identify with a villian and try to steer them to a positive way of dealing with that urge....I still think that evil people and terrible antagonists that are unrepentently and unforgivivably bad should be shown.

If you want villains that are evil just because, go read superhero comics.

>there exists subhumans whose iq is low enough that gurren lagann is beyond their understanding

overrated piece of shit.

>tfw when to intelliget too understand TTGL

Just because they don't have some bullshit metaphysical reason for being ebul doesn't mean they can't be evil.

Why can the hero get away with being strong enough to kick god in the sack while having fewer dimensions then a sheet of paper but the villian has to be 1000 page treatise on the nature of human spirit or some such bullshit.

>I want a boring villain
People like Anti-Spiral because he's atypical. His actions make sense, and in the grand scheme of things he's still in the wrong.

I guarantee you're the only person to call his motives a "1000 page treatise"

People like the anti sprial not for what drives it or it's personal philosphy, but what it looks like and the fight it put up. And the voice acting was great.

all of the ME SO DEEP bullshit?
Mediocre tripe for pseudo intellectual try hards.
Yeah it's nice some times but when ALL fucking villians are that?

Anti-Spiral is scared of dying. That's it.

Whoa I am too we can relate. It's not hard to understand. He isn't DEEP, but what his ideals mean when they clash with Simon's own holds depth.

>Yeah it's nice some times but when ALL fucking villians are that?
What the fuck are you even talking about

The fucking anti-spirals entire thing about fearing death would make fucking sense if it was litterally about them being afraid of a spiral race becoming strong enough to destroy them so they cast down all of the spiral races in fear.

Not some round about spiral nemesis stuff. Your attempt at making it seem simple failed.

All major villians nowadays have to have some deep double reason for their villiany. Which almost always comes off as being dumb as fuck if you think about it for three seconds.

Why can't a major villain just be an asshole? Someone who has a vice that made them evil or fucked and that's that.

>Not having the guts and will to suffer

>The anti spiral already had a motivation for their actions that had nothing to do with the spiral nemesis

are you stupid? The Anti-Spiral's entire thing was preventing the spiral nemesis from happening

What was the point of the anti-spiral? They had the exact same motivation as Lordgenome but felt less personal and sympathetic. The second half was mostly nonsense with a few cool moments.

They were literally just copy pasting Getter Robo Saga. In Getter Robo, Getter Emperor (Spiral Nemesis) is the physical embodiment of Getter that will eventually collapse the universe and Getter's enemies (Anti-Spiral) are trying to prevent humanity's progress into space.

I don't remember the implication ever being that the spiral nemesis was the big crunch.

I'd also like to add that Gurren Lagann's writer, Nakashima, was Ken Ishikawa's editor for Getter Robo Saga (particularly Shin Getter Robo and Getter Robo Arc which GL bears its greatest resemblance to) and professes to be Getter Robo's #1 fan.

Look, the fact that you don't understand what the spiral nemesis means to the story itself says you just want something to argue about. It may have been revealed later, but what it represents comes across throughout the whole series thematically. Maybe you should watch it backwards.

>I still want a cliche villain
Fuck outta here