Why the fuck did you people lead me to believe Space Captain Harlock was good...

Why the fuck did you people lead me to believe Space Captain Harlock was good? It's literally just a whole series of 'wow look how cool this guy is!' + contrived opportunities to make him look cool.

Was everyone 14 when they watched it?

Try Endless Odyssey and Arcadia of my Youth if you don't like the vanilla one.

Huh, that guy does look cool.
Maybe I'll give it a go.

this guy is really fucking cool tho
look at the skull, it's fucking cool

isn't looking cool the only thing that matters, though?

cool guy!

but he is cool

>he doesn't want to watch a cool guy doing cool stuff
wew lad
WEW

Whoa man; who said anything about stuff like that other than the trolls?

Sure; it looked cool back in the day and still kinda is; but that's not a reason to like a series. Or dislike it. It depends.

I gave this one a shot and honestly thought the story was actually well crafted better than Star Trek at times. It reminded me so much of a lot of those cool Hannah Barbera cartoons like Herculoids and Space Ghost.

I mean; come on man; how can you not like a now classic series of vagabond space pirates that happened to take on the Mazone alien race along the way?

Harlock didn't care and got involved indirectly. Yeah; I get what you mean; opportunity to look cool there; but you have to remember that it was designed to come off being like that. It's a drama not a satire.

He's like House or Blackjack coming to find what the problem is and save the day with the solution kind of cool.

The story was very well down to earth and kept simple with good effects for its time. You have to appreciate art history and things over the years to kind of get and understand the appreciation behind it all instead of looking at it thru some retro glasses eyes since it wasn't in your childhood; same with me.

>yfw mukashi, mukashi

I find it difficult to enjoy a sci-fi without a basic understanding of physics. Literally the first shot is of a flag waving. In space. Come on.

it's a space flag that moves due to electromagnetic activities.

do you have autism by any chance?

Nice reddit spacing

No just the standard level of suspension of disbelief.

sure, bud

>autism
You use that like it is an insult on Sup Forums. How silly you are.

t. autist

>t.
Fuck off, Sup Forums.

never been to Sup Forums, try again little autist

Why are you using something when you don't even know where it originated from?

who said i didn't know where it originated from? are you trying to project on me or something?

Shut up and get on board my space train.

Ironically, you were the one who brought that up lol

dude; come on, have a little imagination. I'm sure if it were Star Wars or Star Trek; you wouldn't throw a shit fit. Sci-fi isn't always; "sci-fi." For all we know; we could get a sci-fi set in ancient times or in the 1800's with science and math at that time.

woah, that's pretty cool.

>getting into Leijicore expecting hard sci-fi
>not even hard sci-fi, just basic realism
That's not how it works.
All his stuff is pretty much done because it makes sense narratively or as a symbol. What is the point of a train in space? Pragmatically, none, but it was good at representing what the story was about.
Leiji Matsumoto does not write sci-fi, he writes fairy-tales in space.

I have watched star wars and star trek and neither of them have flags waving in space.

you're really caught up on the flag thing, huh? i'm serious man, do you have autism or not?

>lol
Fuck off

You do realize flags can still flop around without gravity and wind, right? A vacuum doesn't automatically make a flag stand stiff and motionless. Fucking hell man, learn some basic interia/momentum before complaining about physics.

>Harlock
waving flags in space

>Galaxy Express
A motherfucking train in space

>Yamato
Space Submarines

Don't expect realism there, everything is symbolic.

>Implying that star wars haven't scientific flaws

>Star Wars
>Scientific
>Series about magic space monks that shoot lightning at each other from their hands and come back as to give guidence to the living

Haha oh man, okay guy I'm gonna be honest to all of you, I haven't been on Sup Forums in like six months because of internet issues and I missed all of you idiots and your shenanigans dearly, so I started a dumb thread complaining about Captain Harlock just to start shit.

Really though I honestly would like to watch more of it but I'm finding it hard to get interested, does it pick up? I got like three episodes in.

>this much damage control
wew lad

wew yourself, never change

>not liking a cool guy doing cool things
What are you, some kind of faggot?

It progressively gets better; because the first few episodes up to like 15 kind of introduces the characters and lays the groundwork for the series; up to a point where it keeps getting better and better over time. It's got a good plot with excellent story mechanics; that's what makes it good to watch; the art is just unique and distinguishable; that's all.

Neat, thanks. I like the relationship with the little girl, but I find it frustrating that he won't just take her on the goddamn ship. Does he pick her up soon?

I'm sorry; did you want "special?" Or "artist" instead? I'm sure that's what you were looking for; right?

Someone obviously doesn't understand the nature and history of science or storytelling models and mechanics.

Have a little imagination and creativity user; things in science always change and never stay the same. Get used to it.

Crossboarders like you need to do a better job of hiding yourself.

When you're a sci-fi fan coming into a sci-fi anime, you have some expectations. Like basic knowledge of science.

You can't expect, for instance, a gun otaku to not be mad if he's watching a gun anime that blatantly proclaims a shotgun is an AK47.

'It's for artistic purposes' or 'it's symbolism' or 'have some imagination' don't change the fact that it breaks the suspension of disbelief.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be allowed, just that stuff like that's obviously not for everybody and people for whom stuff like that ruins a show for them have a right to complain.

Oh that; you'll find out later and it explains as to why it's like that. When you get to that point; you'll get and understand as to why. It's probably around the latter half of the series about 3/4 in.

See; what's really cool is that it gives you and leaves a lot of open ends loose and doesn't all get tied up; up until the last bit of the series where it concludes perfectly for what it is; Harlock going back to his typical life before getting caught in the war.

Yeah; it's typical Matsumoto kind of writing with it being a bit melodramatic there; but in all honesty; it's kind of got its own unique Sci-do Shakespherian feel to it right there without it becoming a tragedy.

I think what I personally like about it is that it goes by a basic typical model for storytelling models and mechanics and is very basic by the book simple as to how it goes; yet; for whatever reason; the articulation is what makes it look like it's got a complex feel to it at times.

It's a really well balanced series for its time that really laid the groundwork for future projects past that one. It's very influential in today's modern market.

Dude;

Not all sci-fi has basic elements of knowledge or today's modern sophisticated physics and mathematics based on academic claims.

Some of these things have different kinds of explanations to things and different kinds of weird ass societies that explain things differently with different academic theories and literature they use. Of course they won't use modern physics.

I don't think you get of undertsand what's going on here; especially with a piece of fiction; science fiction no less. I think you kind of need to rethink how you look at that genre frame and expectations behind it; cuz it's kind of wrong.

Or are you talking about stuff like technological future stuff and things like that out in space? I'm trying to figure you out here.

If you're telling me there's a reasonable explanation as to why he's leaving a small child to be harassed and abused daily by the government rather than keeping her safe on his ship, I'll take your word for it, it's gotta be good.

Hey dude; quit reinforcing those people with those responses; it's obviously provoking you as to why they keep doing that.

You got to quit and stop for yourself user and not because of them FYI it's kind of only making you look stupid behind the screen; you're still being trolled and not doing the trolling.

Believe you me; it's typical retarded "pirate logic." You know how stupid Neanderthal things like that are just to try and up the cool factor of some character and the people all around them by being a dark and edgy bastard.

>Not all sci-fi has basic elements of knowledge or today's modern sophisticated physics and mathematics based on academic claims.
Yeah, and those sci-fi are shit.

The point of science fiction is to be plausible, that's why sci-fi and fantasy are two different goddamn genres. Science fiction is fiction that has basis in fact and builds on what we actually know, which is why the possibility of it is fascinating. Blatantly contradicting established basic physics is not good sci-fi writing. It may be, as user upthread said, good 'fairytail in space' writing, but you can't call it good sci-fi.

Kill yourself, faggot.

But I liked the way you explained that cuz I was lolling pretty hard there when you put it that way lol

What? It's true.

You seem to be under the impression I'm the same user who is a silly head for being upset at moving pirate flags in space.

Then what is good sci-fi then? Is stuff like this and Star Trek too plebeian for your patrician taste? Just how accurate must a series be for it to be super good to you?

When they keep revising the speed of light and gravity after how many times already to a point that's good enough for you? Jeez man; talk about entitled.

No; I'm under the impression you're the autist who is bad at lying and hiding who is still assuming I'm the one who called you an autist when it was obviously someone else fucking with you.

Don't lose track or think too hard user; it's quite simple really. Don't get lost doing mental gymnastics masturbation up your ass.

Ghost in the Shell.

Honestly, I just want you to fuck off already.

Same. I dropped it after the first episode.

>his daring plan to strike back against the corrupt government of Earth is to mildly inconvenience the puppet rulers by destroying their booze
>leaves the child of his dead bro to suffer in abject misery on vichy Earth because muh promise

nice job retard

That's kind of more future cybernetic than sci fi. I wouldn't call that sci for at all. That's way too ahead into the future.

Geez; chill out yo.

I'll go fuck off already.

Man; I had no clue you were perverted shit like this that makes you horny lol

Are you kidding me? That is literally sci-fi. You just looked at a banana and said 'that's not a fruit, that's a banana'.

Yattaran is best forst mate
>Yattaran, I need you on the deck!
>Fuck off. Busy.
>Ok. Sorry.

Shittu Tastu desu ne~

ALLBBAAAATOOOORRR
ALLLBAAAATOOORR
DU FOND DE LA NOIR D'OOOOOR