Why don't Americans invest in stocks?

Only 52% of Americans own stocks, a modern low. Even as recently as 2007, 65% did. But many foolishly cashed out before the big stock market boom of the 2010's. In fact, 38% of all stocks are held by a mere 1% of stockholders. You have to be "in it to win it," so why are so many Americans outside of the stock market entirely? What is their alternative investment strategy?

Other urls found in this thread:

pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/New_Home_Page/datafile/pedata.html
renegadetribune.com/the-scam-and-how-it-works/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A 9-5, or possibly cryptocurrency.

i wage slave and know nothing about stocks

To many afraid to get burned. 2008 was scary for a lot of boomers especially. They got spooked too much to think about investing wisely.

This. As a millennial, I was starting college when 2008 occured. It's 9 years later and I'm graduated, have a job, and have money to invest, but I look at stock indexes and all I can see is another crash waiting to happen.

Many Americans are living paycheck to paycheck and can't afford to invest.
Even among those who can invest many believe the stock markets in a bubble and are putting their money into safer areas like land, bonds, gold, crypto, and foreign citizen ship

it's a jewish scam

For me the 2008 crash gave me a nothing to lose mentality. If anything can crash at any time might as well take risks to get to the top. There's no such thing as stability. I'm black pilled.

I like dividend stocks so I can gain income while the stock develops in the market. Then I reinvest or take the cash. Either way pays you to hold.

The stock market works against the masses in favor of billionaires and multinational corporations. Most people lose money from the stock market.

I just put a bunch of money in the market for the first time. ‘Expecting the crash any day now...

If you left the investment alone for 10 years yoi wouldn't be afraid of shit

RICH FUCKS NEED MORE TAX CUTS

You probably fucked us all
Thanks

>investing high and selling low

You'd have to actually be retarded. The stock market is at an all time high and the economy doesn't reflect the stock market numbers at all. Price correction incoming.

Retiring boomers with 90% bond allocations

Millenials with $600 in savings because they bought the new iPhone and have a monthly coffee sampler box subscription.

People have been saying that for YEARS, and have missed out on massive gains as a result. The market has been going up for 9 straight fiscal years - it could easily go up for another nine while you are sitting on the sidelines because of MUH IMPENDING CRASH!!! that never comes. This is what you get for believing what you read at ZeroHedge.

Not all stocks have inflated prices. Do your homework or stack until you see it burn down and have the balls to buy cheap

Boomer spotted

Don't forget Peter Schitt

Invest in Goldbonds

I don't care what people were saying years ago. I'm telling you NOW: investing money in stocks or keeping money in the market is a bad idea.

Because they have debt, and a debt based currency. Maybe things would be different if we had a real currency and a much smaller parasitical financial industry.

>Why don't Americans invest in stocks?
Can't afford em. I had Citibank stock before it nosedived in 2007. Bought 100 shares at $500 each. Now it's worth maybe $50. So I'm fucked seven ways from Sunday. Never buying stock again.

This. Sometimes you gotta hold. And sometimes you gotta take your losses. Risk and reward. But alas most people now purely want rewards without any risk.

There's not going to be another big crash for 70 or more years. Read Generational Theory. It's this giant strategical handbook I can use to flip time on its head.

Ill wait for the next crash.

This.

I’m liberal as fuck, but it’s just a fact the economy is doing good right now.

Janet Yellen said there were no concerning signs in the market before her term came up and everyone is going to have a few extra $100s next year.

The time to invest is now (or maybe yesterday), the economy isn’t going to crash this year

Its because most stocks are over-priced. The average P/E is 131.58. You normally don't want it to be higher than 14 when you buy in. pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/New_Home_Page/datafile/pedata.html

I made my parents ride Apple during Steve Jobs' return from gumdrop iMacs to iPhone...it was a scary ride through the dot-com boom but it paid off.

Boomers used to saving are always paying attention to day-to-day movements and freaking out when it drops.

Also millennials now are mostly in Gig-Economies without health care so they're blowing more wages on insurance, rent, utilities, and loans. So they can't even save or invest like boomers did.

Only millennials with worthwhile stock are trust fund babies and/or those with options in a private-but-will-be-public unicorn startup.

Investing in stocks means you are putting faith in the system which deserves no faith. The next crash is going to send many boomers straight to the self rope line.

any predictions for what the Dow will close at at the end of 2018? 30,000?

I'm all in on cryptocurrency, probably will be a millionaire by 27 at the rate I'm going. Why own stocks?

meanwhile my dad spends too much time reading literal russian propaganda meme sites like zerohedge so he always thinks a crash is imminent ever since 2008. Needless to say he never bought the dip, he could've had hundreds of thousands more dollars.

Stocks are ownership in a company. If crypto ever overtakes the US Dollar and US Dollars are worth nothing I wouldn't sell my shares in US Dollars. I'd price them in whatever crypto.. No big deal.

Accurate pic, accurate post.

Nearly 80% of US citizens live paycheck to paycheck, user.

People think there is a mysterious art around stock trading and are generally afraid of directly interacting with the market.

Which is weird because stock trading is as easy as it has ever been.

>High frequency trading
>bundle stocks
>investing on debt packages
>le financial tools

yea I wonder why people get that idea

Investing is complicated and you are likely to get screwed if you trust someone to do it for you. Not worth the time or effort.

On the other hand, arbitrage is extremely difficult, HFT is irrelevant for the vast majority of small investors, hell day trading is rather pointless for most people, and the vast majority of packaged securities are easy to see the logic of it.

Really, you can get "AS GOOD AS CAN BE EXPECTED" returns with just a few basic ETFs.

>be me
>want to invest in crypto
>spend 3 months learning everything about the tech/companies/market
>start investing in crypto on dec 1
>6x my investment in a month in BTC, ETH,LTC, ICX,XRP
>bitcoin tanks
>got out with 3x gains

If i get into stocks, i'm sure with my luck the stock market will crash as well.

If this thread is an indicator, it's because a bunch of Americans think they can time the market. "We're going to get a price correction any day now, I'll buy then and be rich!" Good luck with that.

you do you.

Only know nothing faggots try to time the market. No one can reliable predict crashes or rallies so don’t try. Start investing monthly.

Start a brokerage account and buy a quality S&P 500 index fund and nothing else. I recommend VTI for the low fees. I agree with Warren Buffet that because most S&P companies are international you don’t even need to buy other funds.

I started investing monthly in index funds at 18 and am now 32 with over $250,000 in my portfolio not including property. I have a trades career that pays well but I am no doctor or lawyer

people who think they know 100% where the market is going in the long term usually are the ones that get killed.

From my TA knowledge I've learned...if you get really good that shit, it'll only give you a slight edge...a few percentage points.

Look into the numbers in how profitable even the professional investors make. The numbers should scare you away unless you're completely autistic about it.

My Advice for anyone getting into stocks:
- Trade treasury bonds for a year. It's boring as shit, but it'll force you to develop a gameplan, strong hands, and you'll have to learn TA.
- Invest in only one type of market. Don't jump from tech to commodity, etc.
- INVEST ONLY WHAT YOU'RE COMPLETELY WILLING TO LOSE.

just get an ETF you stupid cuck
a small percent of hedge funds, VC firms etc. actually return a profit once you account for fees. it's one thing if you can invest with e.g. Rentech, Two Sigma, and the like but the average person should just put their money in an ETF and watch it go up. You don't even have to think about it.

TA is fake

>just lose money so I can make money
no

nigga, do you know what things like RSI are?
And how the math behind it is calculated.

You're larping at being an investor.

Because I have zero idea what I'm doing. Anywhere you can recommend I read about this?

Sup Forums has been claiming that since 2016, yet it's past the 8 year crash cycle with nothing.

Jewish ponzi scheme. As soon as you put your money in it will vanish.

Seriously, stop drinking 40s and smoking menthols for a month, save that money, open an bank account, and setup a Robinhood account. You would have made some type of return since the election.

Trump may have broken the cycle with the Tax Cut, I see a break out (it already happened)

yah so they can lose it all when the kikes crash the market?

fuck yourself nigger
renegadetribune.com/the-scam-and-how-it-works/

Publicly traded companies = zog

Read my post.
Be a “dumb” investor, very few professional investors actually beat the market. Unless you invest say $500 million, have a team of quants, and a super computer you will never be smart money.

Normie investing should only be in index funds and you shouldn’t even worry about timing the market.

This is how poor people think. If you are not using money to make money you are a cuck. All rich people have their money doing something

I buy index funds, because I'm not a worthless retarded gambler

very solid advice.

Unless you're a big dog, that or property are the best returns for your money.

Can I work for you mr. Ceo

Are you an electrician?

The stock market is a way to use your wealth to generate more wealth. You can't invest if you don't have any money to start with. So many Americans are in debt, or just barely getting by.

Interesting. Is there any floor on what one should start with, or is it an anything you can spare kind of thing?

23 and 21,000 Canadian meme dollars diversified through: CVR Energy (Oil Refinery), Hertz rental cars, Amazon, Bank of America, Lockheed Martin, Fintech ETF, Apple, United airlines, and Tesla. Rate for 2018

I have $5 trades so for it to be worth it I would say $500 or so. Some brokerages require a minimum portfolio of $1000-$2000. If you can save up $1000 and buy VTI, which is a total US index fund that tracks large, medium, and small cap US stocks. Then buy more when you can save up another $500 and just keep repeating the process

Land and gold also crash during a deflationary stock crash. Take care that the bonds are triple-A

>All companies = zog

FTFY

Because they are short term retards who sell after a crash instead of buying the dip then say some retard shit like "the game is rigged"

nigga we are still in the early stages of the trump bull run

i started trading 3 months ago and ive been bouncing around negative two and 5 percent but im hopeful for the future. ive learned whats high risk and whats low risk and im hopeful for the future.

alot of people algebra like niggers and blow all there money on penny scams then come on here and say its a scam but yeah just dont sell it when it goes down be ready to hold a stock for the rest of your life if it goes down.

bush and obama aint shit compared to trump he is the money maker president best in my life time for sure

Pic related is some recent charts I screenshotted while making trades of AMD.

I long and short AMD, short means you make money if the stock goes down, most people don't know you can do this in the stock market.

In this picture, I bought (went long) at 10.6, sold at 11, saw the double top trying to push 11.2 as resistance, and that's a pretty clear indication it's going down, so I shorted at 11.01, and covered on Friday at 10.4, and now I'm long again.

I was looking for a 50% retracement of the run. This is a short-term chart with 1h candles, the big one on top is a longer-term chart with 1day candles.

Professional short-term traders at hedge funds trade ONE to THREE stocks, a lot of these guys trade ONLY ONE stock, long and short.

Each stock has it's own unique personality and way of moving. I specialize in AMD, I only trade AMD.

I have long-term investments that I don't touch, but for short-term trading, I only trade AMD, one stock, I don't attempt to trade hundreds of different stocks like a lunatic.

Only trade one stock, this is the best advice you'll ever get, it took me years to learn this.

Meant to say 10.06, not 10.6

fucking gambing, how noble

I entered in at the $10 range because of that flat consolidation after the drop, usually means it's ready for at least a little bounce short-term, even if it continues down longer term.