What do you guys think of the new official file sizes and quality of HorribleSubs?

What do you guys think of the new official file sizes and quality of HorribleSubs?

Other urls found in this thread:

nyaa.se/?user=239789
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-19/crunchyroll-parent-company-ellation-lays-off-17-employees/.111220
forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/01/19/there-have-been-layoffs-at-crunchyroll-and-the-company-is-undergoing-restructuring/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's called bitrate, dumbass.

>HorribleSubs
It's called unedited stream, dumbass.

No, they reencoded using CRF 23.
PuyaSubs also rips CR and there was not change to their quality

Looks like a standard rip to me as banding has always been horrible. Make sure you are using madVR or mpv with a debanding filter and then it should look better.

Yes thank you for linking something irrelevant from before they started doing this.
Ignore the 110Mb Seiren 720p by HorribleSubs vs 350MB by Puya too familia

faggot

>Hi10
The fuck

Horriblesubs staff is blaming CR even though other groups can rip video just fine.

>CRF 23
>Time Bokan 24: CRF 26.4
>Classicaloid: CRF 24.7
>BanG Dream!: CRF 23.8
>Spiritpact: CRF 21.3
>Rewrite: CRF 23.9

Where do you see that? I wonder what's happening since PuyaSubs! releases still have the usual file size.

What about them?

>Where do you see that? I wonder what's happening since PuyaSubs! releases still have the usual file size.
#HorribleSubs@Rizon

Absolutely embarassing

In other news HorribleSubs decides to cutdown on bandwidth and blames CR

More like snowfag is a retard who doesn't know what he's talking about

DAAAAAAAAAAIAZ
OOOOOOOOOOOOONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>tfw you're gonna end up having to pay for a CR account because they're not going to fix this any time soon

It's a thing on CRs end apparently.

It isn't
Read the thread

Just download Puya and paste Horrible's subs on them. Fixed.

>[HorribleSubs] Demi-chan wa Kataritai - 10 [720p].mkv
>141.18MB

The fuck?

I wonder if CR has different video for their US streams now unlike the Spanish streams to save bandwidth.

nah, we'll just use ESL-kun's .ass files and put them on a decent raw. it'll be daijouboo.

Make absolutely no sense to do two different video encodes for the same content.

Doing an encode is trivial compared to distributing it to millions of people.

yeah sure, they just decided to do shitty encodes for the US region at random CRFs, much more likely than HorribleSubs fucking things up

Why even care that much about quality if it isn't blu ray rip?

because it's unwatchable

the funniest thing is that some people actually pay for this

They just got absolutely shafted.

>the funniest thing is that some people actually pay for this
No, people who pay get better quality.
This is 100% on HorribleSubs side of things

Americans like being treated as third worlders, so it almost makes sense.
And then explain why they didn't reencode Urara, which is the only release of theirs not from CR.

because their CR auto rip script is not working?
I never said HorribleSubs did this intentionally, just that they're pretending like it's someone else problem

can someone with a CR subscription confirm this?

nyaa.se/?user=239789

It is a thing on CR's end - they've been encoding this new low-bitrate garbage for a while, but HS has been ripping the older higher-bitrate encodes. There's been some change in configuration on CR's end that resulted in HS ripping the low-bitrate garbage instead and they haven't fixed it yet to keep ripping the better encodes as before.

Ultimately though it's only a matter of time before CR stops doing the higher bitrate encodes completely, at which point the only thing left will the low-bitrate garbage, and everyone will be fucked.

this is all your fault

>Ultimately though it's only a matter of time before CR stops doing the higher bitrate encodes completely, at which point the only thing left will the low-bitrate garbage, and everyone will be fucked.
AFAIK the low-bitrate garbage is a different version, the "livestream" version or some shit like that

>implying it won't just cause a resurgence in groups using HS subs on a decent raw

I guess now they live up to their name.

>they've been encoding this new low-bitrate garbage for a while
>Ultimately though it's only a matter of time before CR stops doing the higher bitrate encodes completely, at which point the only thing left will the low-bitrate garbage, and everyone will be fucked
And people actually pay for this shit.

If you can handle 20FPS video, you can handle banding.

It is a different version, but the thing is that from CR's point of view it's their "new and improved" version that "reduces bandwidth usage a lot with no notable reduction in quality!" (which of course is total bollocks). They're in a long process of transitioning everything over to using these new encodes, so it is very much only a matter of time until they're the only option left.

>banding
forget banding m8
the thing is filled with artifacts
it looks like shit on my 42" TV from 4m away

Would that be to reduce server bandwidth/load for when everyone hammers it on release? How long does it take for it to switch over to the higher bitrate encode?

it seems more like you're speculating rather than having any proper info about their future plans.

They just fired their encoders to outsource the work a month ago. Do you think they care?

Let's just say I'm not that pessimistic about it.
And that's not a real quote or even something they implied as far as I'm aware.
Funny how you never apply that level of cynicism to the company you work for

>They just fired their encoders to outsource the work a month ago. Do you think they care?
nice source

>their encoders
lol
since when setting file size and doing 2pass required an actual person?

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-19/crunchyroll-parent-company-ellation-lays-off-17-employees/.111220

Did you miss the news here or something.
forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/01/19/there-have-been-layoffs-at-crunchyroll-and-the-company-is-undergoing-restructuring/

There were layoffs. The entirety of QA and a decent % of the San Francisco engineering team were laid off.

Basically, we started working with an outsourcing company (Yopeso), whos CTO was buddy buddy with our head of Product. He became our interim CTO around June and has made horrible decision after horrible decision from a ground level perspective. Decided to get rid of the Project Management team, directly told engineers that he didn't care if they had to work 16 hours on a weekend because they were on salary, etc.

Basically every engineer and ground level employee started asking about conflict of interest and directly asked executives if they were going to be replaced with outsourced engineers, and were repeatedly told we would not be.

Today, they purchased a portion of the outsourcing company. The CEO of that outsourcing company is now permanent CTO at Ellation (Crunchyroll's parent).

They sent us a wonderful FAQ at the end of the day, this part in particular was embarrassingly bad.

Q: Doesn't Simon have a conflict of interest as our CTO?

A: No. Simon's involvement historically was at our request. We agreed to a budget against which we ramped up the Moldova team. Additionally, Simon was involved in our CTO search process, endorsing several candidates along the way. In the end, we decided that the combination of Simon and the Moldova acquisition was the best combination for Ellation. As we move forward, Simon is an employee of Ellation and his incentives are 100% aligned to delivering shareholder value to E

Or better yet, invest in some decent 1TB+ drives so you don't have to deal with space dilemma.

There's no speculation about this, sadly. Basically, the older higher bitrate versions are used in the Flash player on their website, and they've already started working on moving away from it in favor of a HTML5 player. This in itself would be a good change, but the sad part is that they're transitioning into these new HLS encodes that look like garbage along with it.

>And that's not a real quote or even something they implied as far as I'm aware.

Consider the fact that this is their lead video engineer. He's proud of these new encodes and sees no problem with them whatsoever. Preserving human quality expectations, you see!

It's even sadder when you consider that this is the first time CR is doing anything to their main video encodes since 2011, and what we get is a massive quality downgrade.

>Funny how you never apply that level of cynicism to the company you work for

Well, difference is that I'm actually in charge of digital quality at the company I work for and actually care for said quality. Which is certainly something you can't say about CR - they've obviously never cared much if at all about video quality.

Where does it say they were encoders?
All I got from that article is that CR fire 17 employees from their parent company

This is getting attention, so I just wanted to add something...

These decisions had basically nothing to do with Crunchyroll itself. It has to do with VRV and building out a tech platform for other streaming services from outside companies to sit on top of. That's the direction they're taking the SF office, and pretty much all Crunchyroll client development work will take place in Moldova. The majority of "Crunchyroll" engineering was actually working on VRV and the new tech platform for VRV and eventually Crunchyroll for the last year-2 years. SF will still have the Crunchyroll staff (marketing, customer support, partnerships, etc), and personally I'd expect Crunchyroll itself to be fine and keep growing (though app quality will probably have issues based on my interactions with awful engineers over there).

see

They fired the old technical staff for new technical staff.
>We recently closed an acquisition to significantly expand the size of our engineering team. As part of company restructuring efforts, it is with regret that we needed to make some difficult but necessary changes at Ellation. This morning, we parted ways with 17 employees that played important roles in helping us grow the company over the last several years.

It is pure speculation that the HLS encodes will be used as the final version for their HTML5 player.
PuyaSubs managed to rip the "full quality" rip using the HTML5 player as well.

We all know how much you hate CR and Funi and pretty much every other legit anime localization company that you don't work for Daiz

see

Firing older more experienced staff for less experienced staff isn't a good way to improve your platform.

>[DefinitelyNotMe] Demi-chan wa Kataritai - 10 VOSTFR [720p].mkv
>141.2 MiB
Looks like it's spreading.

I wonder how PuyaSubs managed to do rip the "full quality" version.

it had fuck all to do with this

>I wonder how PuyaSubs managed to do rip the "full quality" version.
PuyaSubs staff was on HorribleSubs channel on IRC trying to contact them but he was ignored

>Looks like it's spreading.
most of these groups actually use HorribleSubs video.
If it wasn't for Puya HR would just be saying it's CR's fault and everybody would have bought it

>It is pure speculation that the HLS encodes will be used as the final version for their HTML5 player.

Do you really think a company with a track record for not giving a single fuck about quality would develop a new video encode setup if they didn't intend it to replace their old one? And really, that they ever thought these new encodes looked acceptable in comparison to the old ones just reinforces the point about them not giving a toss about quality.

Honestly, it's more likely that they'd increase the bitrate in the new setup than keep their old encodes around in the long run.

And I think I deserve to be a pessimist about the situation considering I've been waiting for legal digital anime companies to care about quality for over 8 years at this point, and I'm still fucking waiting.

>it's more likely that they'd increase the bitrate in the new setup than keep their old encodes around in the long run.
Wouldn't increasing the bitrate of bitrate starved encodes kinda fix the entire issue?

ok so when is HorribleSubs fixing their script?

Yes, it would.

The chances of them doing that in a way that would actually be an improvement over the old encodes though? I wouldn't hold my breath.

>Honestly, it's more likely that they'd increase the bitrate in the new setup than keep their old encodes around in the long run.
Is there any chance of them switching to HEVC or is it still too early?

>PuyaSubs staff was on HorribleSubs channel on IRC trying to contact them but he was ignored
HSL/jaka usually doesn't actually hang on HorribleSubs channel on IRC though. He uses his other nick instead most of the time.

They probably don't have much interest in HEVC thanks to the patent licensing fuckery brought on by the HEVC Advance group. That's something I can't actually blame them about, because fuck HEVC Advance. The HEVC licensing terms were actually pretty nice before them, and they pretty much completely ruined it.

Personally I'm hoping that AV1 will be a viable option some day.

>The chances of them doing that in a way that would actually be an improvement over the old encodes though? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Fair enough, but to be honest just increasing the bitrate would be enough for me.
If I really like a show I just use sushi to retime their subs to bd releases for archiving.

I can't be disappointed by business being a business I am however disappointed with the state of fansubs. People used to do it out of passion for the anime they liked, now it seems they do it just so they can make a parody of the original script and have fun with typesetting that requires a 5GHz 7700k to play without dropped frames

>most of these groups actually use HorribleSubs video.
Isn't DefinitelyNotMe a new CR ripping "group" which rip the French subs?

Doesn't mean they rip the video. And there is also the chance of their script being affected by the same thing that is fucking up with the HorribleSubs one

Time to go back to tv rips.

So it's time to update the list

>If I really like a show I just use sushi to retime their subs to bd releases for archiving.
>mfw some shows don't have their BD uploaded for free so I have to import them
>some show also only have either DVD release or no retail release (for rent-only) in Japan
Guess I'm fucked until CR realized their "stupidity"

>Time to go back to tv rips.
>mfw no TV rips for Puzzle Dragons Cross and Heybot on Nyaa

>>mfw no TV rips for Puzzle Dragons Cross and Heybot on Nyaa
Just fix your taste in anime and you won't have issues anymore

this is a smart business move by them.
Most of their paying audience, namely Naruto and One Piece fans, do not care about video quality in the slightest.

Are the Japanese streaming sites any better? It seems like you could use a proxy and rip raws from them.

Wow these new CR rips look horrible

I bet they're hardsubbed.

>japanese
>hard subbed
are you retarded?

No, I'm joking. It's called a joke.

NGU solves this.

I just downloaded that, upscaled to 4k and it still didn't look as bad as your webm

Where we're going, we don't need bitrate.

because he's either baiting or being retarded and not giving libvpx a bitrate to work with, so it's using the default 200kbit/s

Uh, what?

There's already TV raws on nyaa.

Fuck you. These two are still better than most late-night anime which is airing this season.

>all the shiteaters rejoycing because filesize is "better"
Can't wait for RMVB's glorious return.

Have any links that show them actually saying it's better?

>RMVB

Oh man, that's a blast from the past.
Those were the times.

MadVR® NGU©

>dat bitrate

>when you have a GTX 1070 and a 7700K and you still can't use that