Is pandering to a demographic in anime and manga inherently bad for the industry on the long run or is that just a meme...

Is pandering to a demographic in anime and manga inherently bad for the industry on the long run or is that just a meme? Seems to me quality work will always exist regardless.

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-04-27/dateline-covers-japanese-animation-industry
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

shit thread

>will real food disappear, because fast food exists!?
I don't know OP

in one of these threads people looked into it and found out that the guy on the left owns a subcontracting studio

he never makes what he wants to make. he makes other people's shit

Pandering to a single demographic is business suicide and the death knell of any creative industry
See: western comics and creative works in general.

Fortunately, what the japanese call "otaku" is actually an extremely broad collection of demographics, all with disparate interests and expectations, and fostering that community of subcommunities is not only healthy, but the main reason that the anime industry still prospers in an era where cheaper and more cost-effective alternatives present constant competition.

You remember his name?

This is why crowdfunding anime will only become more popular.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-04-27/dateline-covers-japanese-animation-industry

Kazumori Hashimoto

What's the alternative, make anime that anime buyers don't like? "Pandering" just seems like a derogatory way to refer to "making content your customers want" which is what every industry does.

Probably the biggest concern if they're able to expand the demographics. The three main ways to do that are daytime anime aimed at younger audiences and there's plenty of that, late night stuff targeted at grabbing an audience wider than the core otaku audience which we've seen played with in the noitamina block and elsewhere, and foreign market expansion which seems to be doing pretty well since the advent of same day streaming services.

I tend to think that the tendency for stuff to get super self referential that seems to be coming in large part from LNs could present a problem with conversion rates of newer audiences into long term fans but trends change over time and you've got to make what sells if you want to keep afloat in the mean time.

Manga doesn't and has never pandered to a single demographic.
Anime's audience is much, much narrower, so there are of course negative effects on creativity and originality, but as you pointed out good works still come out from time to time.

>super self referential
You mean otakubait or series that refer to pre-existing LNs and VNs?

>We can't make what we want to make
>We must make products that sell

Welcome to capitalism 101. If you're unhappy about that, you can always move to North Korea.

Western fans don't buy anime. Their opinion on what is 'good' is meaningless.

If studios don't like catering to obsessive markets they shouldn't put the price points at a point that only an obsessive fan would buy.

Mostly meaning otakubait series. Stuff that's so tied up in subcultural references that I imagine it'd be hard to follow if you aren't already immersed in that stuff.

Not that I'm entirely against reference comedy or meta commentary, but it seems like there's at least as much or more of that sort of thing than stuff just playing things straight.

its just a meme. money is good for the industry, money is what pays for 2deep passion projects and pandering is what gets that money. also the reason why people keep working in shit conditions so they can draw what they like. only downside of pandering is the unskilled pandering

under the dog sure took you for a ride.
This, also loyalty. japan is not going to betray Japanese people so it can make US teens happy. at most they make 2 versions

meta narrative is a common way of selling products with weak links

There has to be a healthy mix if you want to be creative and make money. Just take whatever's popular and weave a good or ineteresting story into it.

>idols
Perfect Blue
>Magical Girls
Madoka
>Fujoshit
Yuri on Ice

>its good when I like it.
I liked free and kuroshitsuji. with your formula they would not have been made.

Even if they did pay for anime, I doubt most Japanese companies would care what gaijin's think. Their sales are just a bonus at best.

Note that I said "good" or "interesting" story. These were passion projects that the creators WANTED to make but still had pandering in them as well, so it was a balance that made money which was the point of my post. It's possible.

Free was pure fanservice and I can't say much about kuroshit because I didn't watch or read it.

Great I was missing the the daily Sup Forums thread about how anime is dying thanks to moeshit

stop being obsessed with Sup Forums

Stop making retarded threads complaining about moeshit
And go back to your shithole

deal with it, faggot

If the majority of what your medium does is pandering then yes, its bad. Cause then the medium eventually implodes. You always need people trying something new in a creative industry..