For the athiests of Sup Forums: where did your morals come from?

For the athiests of Sup Forums: where did your morals come from?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vANA3AGs4Dg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

From my brain

From traditions.

From my necessity to not get locked up with tyrone

Well your response seems to indicate you have none

>implying you need an external force to have standards
Christians are the ultimate cucks

God Consciousness.

Everyone has an inherent knowledge of morality except sociopaths. We know it's bad to steal, kill, etc. Only a complete faggot finds 100% of morals from religion

>implying you need an external force to have standards
Implying standards don't need societal forces to hold. yeah right brainlet. Look at what the (((sexual revolution))) did to standards
>Christians are the ultimate cucks
That I agree with you

Trad Asian parents. They didn't have time to teach me religion and I wasn't ever interested. I always liked white Christians better than the other animals I interacted with in my "diverse" public schools so I imitated their morals.

Delightful old movies and anime definitely had an influence too. Kenshiro, Ellen Ripley, and Arnold Schwarzenegger, for example, are better influences on a young mind than niggers like Future and 21 Savage on the Talmudvision or some singing and twerking mullattoe on her latest JewTube music video.

I am clever enough to realise that everything I can do to others can be done to me. Apparently, you need book for that.

Common sense.

Most evolved and civilised beings have an inate sense of decency OP, you simple minded imbecile.

We don't all need an instruction book to fill a glass with water.

I'm a sociopath, but and a child of the stars, so all living things are my things to protect.

This includs you...but I won't do it with a smile.

>For the athiests of Sup Forums: where did your morals come from?
Holy Fuck religious people are stupid. We actually have common sense and moral compass passed on to us through evolution. THE BIBLE WAS WRITTEN BY A HUMAN.

>morals

I don't hurt people I like and I only hurt people I don't like if I can get away with it.

>I am clever enough to realise that everything I can do to others can be done to me.
That's not all ethics are about. Would you say fighting global warming is ethical? If so, that does not follow form the golden rule you state.
Enjoy being a brainlet!

white atheists are just spiritually dead Christians. they live off the morality of a greater civilization.

From my brain, dumbass.

not being a sociopath

harming stuff = bad

>Most evolved and civilised beings have an inate sense of decency OP, you simple minded imbecile.
Define decency.

....as a Templar.....WOW.

A TEMPLE-ER. LARP everyone....it's easy to spot with "meme" flags.

>harming stuff = bad
What if not harming the stuff will harm you brainlet?

Well, what does God say about global warming?

The book teaches you that there are consequences to your actions beyond this lifetime. Even if you understand that something is wrong to do, you won't necessarily avoid doing it unless you fear the consequences.

Psychopath! Sociopaths can cry.

Society. Morality is relative and my morality is largely based on an off-shoot of what society tells me is right. I would think rape was moral if I had been into an Islamic society and you would too even if you won't admit it. There is no god morality, there are only social constructs. Granted, some social constructs are far better than others at producing a stable society. Genociding degeneracy would be an example of moral decision that stabilizes society.

Being a human being? Having enough character to realize the difference between right and wrong and choosing the former at all times? Good enough for you?

I did not say god gives you morals imbecile. SeeI just said it's not independent of what others do. And does not come from science.

this is bait but fuck it i'm drunk as fuck.

my morals come are informed by my life experience. i'm ultimately a moral nihilist though.

A decadent Christian/catholic society, and conservative grandparents

Really. So Osama was not a human being brainlet?

yeah obviously an armed nigger and a helpless kitten aren't interchangeable

I am immoral and operate on pragmatic sense of self inrerest.

Kek, FPBP and should be /thread

But seriously, just how fucking retarded do you have to be to legitimately believe that morals can only come from fear of a punishment in the "afterlife"?

The very fact that Christians believe they would become criminals without a fairy tale book threatening them with eternal hellfire is proof they should be purged.

From the same place as yours.
They emerged from repetitive interactions.

It teaches shortcuts to avoid actions that may be pleasurable in the short term but have damaging effects in the long term (may be 10-20 years hence within your lifetime as well).

Directly from mother Gia. It’s one of the many powers having a foreskin gives you. Christcucks and Ammerimutts will never know true Christ consciousness.

From the Creator you dunce

Sure. Explain to me which aspect of common decency you don't quite understand, and I'll fill you in.

Feigning ignorance isn't particularly constructive, tiger.

You said
>harming stuff = bad
brainlet. Not me.

Also this, it's generally a good guide regarding what pitfalls to avoid and how to lead a normal life

>Sure. Explain to me which aspect of common decency you don't quite understand, and I'll fill you in.
Decency is a way too ambiguous term to define. It differs from place to place, from country to country. Common decency in Venezuela is different from that in Zambia which is different from that in Pakistan.
So please elaborate on what you mean there.

Values I was raised with for the most part. Learning from my mistakes. Living by what would Jesus do is pretty solid advice.

From understanding that society needs certain standards to be set in order to function optimally.

I'd say it shows one how to avoid living a miserable life, rather than helps one to lead a normal life.

Intuition.

I can't understand if you are stupid because you're christian or because american. You do realize that traditions and moral were formed because of common sense? Ancient priests were literally first scientists until they understood that they can control society with almost any bullshit from their mouths.

>Living by what would Jesus do is pretty solid advice.

You don't do this you retard. Especially if you browse a place like Sup Forums

An innate sense.

Christianity, i just don't believe in god, love the religion tho.

Have you ever been walking around with a framing hammer and then upon seeing another human being thought: 'Hey I'd like to smack that bitch upside the head with this here framing hammer with all my might'?

If yes, your next thought might have been:

a) Yeah, but God would be so mad at me he'll throw me in a lake of fire for all eternity, and that time I burned my finger was pretty bad

b) Nah, that would really hurt him, and I sure wouldn't like it if someone did that to me...

c) OK - here we go: Smack!

IF you answered:
a) you are a psychopath that is afraid of god.
b) you're a well adjusted, empathic individual
c) you're psychopath in jail.

A and C are both psychopaths....

Common sense.

Normal people have an instinctual sense of morality. If you need a religion to have a moral compass, you're weak willed or a psychopath.

>You do realize that traditions and moral were formed because of common sense? Ancient priests were literally first scientists until they understood that they can control society with almost any bullshit from their mouths.
Absolutely ignorant plebbit level of BS. Ancient priests were not fucking scientists, and no they did not come up with rules because they wanted to control society.
In most cases rules evolved over generations as people saw what practices were successful and what were not. These got passed down as stories and legends, and cultures evolved. No priest sat down and wrote these rules down. The traditions were around before the priests.
>I can't understand if you are stupid because you're christian or because american.
Not Christian.

Brainlet that's not all that ethics is about. What if the other guy had a framing hammer as well, and you did not know his intentions. What if you had 1kg of gold with you then?

I do not need a fear of being judged to act in a moral fashion. I act morally because it is the correct thing to do.

Make your own hypothetical situation asshole.

Mines a valid answer to the question.

Ethics is not just your question arsehole!

But I was answering OP's question. Your changes don't really change things much though - my framing hammer and my 1kg of gold means I have two potential weapons to his one....

Innate sense of morality, when I see somone bleeding on the street, I rush to help them, I don't need to think about it, our early ancestors found out early on that cooperation with one another is better than killing everyone you see, religon can be seen as evolutionary byproduct to institutionalize morality, but I think we are passed the point of needing it.

Do what thou wilt, and harm none.

Silly faggot. You act based on determinism. If there is no spiritual dimension to our being, then you don't act based on choice at all. You are a genetic computer programmed by the environment to exhibit certain behavior in response to certain stimuli. This is why I can't stand low IQ atheists. They don't understand the logical implications of their belief system. There is no morality in a purely physical system that is by its very nature deterministic. Morality requires free will. Free will requires spirituality that transcends matter. We may be deterministic machines, accidents of physics. It is certainly possible. But if that is your position then it is a logical fallacy to claim that you make moral "choices."

Interesting point.
But morality does determine who gets to propagate their genes, and thus what the practices in the future will be (even if there is no free will).

Then morality is merely an adaptive strategy that is adopted according to the rules of your operating system (genetic hardware and environmental software)when it serves genetic fitness, and is discarded when it does not. I would argue that is not morality at all, and is no different than the cooperation seen among colonies of ants, or any other lower social creature.

You dont need a reason to help people - Zidane

A basic desire to live in a peaceful society. It is formalized through basic logic, starting with the consistency principle and ending with self ownership.

>I would argue that is not morality at all, and is no different than the cooperation seen among colonies of ants, or any other lower social creature.
I'd say human morality is similar but slightly different from the ant morality. It's different because you could take a baby from Zambia and raise it in the USA and have very different morality. Similar things can not be done wrt ants. But at a higher level, this is precisely the view that evolutionary psychologists take.

Yes. I'm sure you're a good open borders supporter with that morality.

Deep. This is the argument for the "realness" of atheist morality for those with no understanding of biology, evolutionary psychology, or history.

Atheists might be right, but if they are, then we are amoral machines and life is meaningless. Have the courage to follow your belief systems through to their logical conclusions. Don't be a child.

Yes. It is a difference of complexity, not qualitative meaning.

uh, no, but nice try getting me to conform to your prejudices

Religion is destructive of meaning. The first step in religion is to destroy the natural world, and cast over its corpse the great "illuminating" shadow of another promised world. The natural world is of course not destroyed at all, but survives to inflict consequences on religious orders, hence their backwardness. As we exist in a material universe, so must we find meaning in a material universe. Only those who believe in a meaningless material universe are willing to take the first step in religion.

It follows then that religious is also destructive of morality. For whatever morality exists, it must exist in a material universe and draw its power from meaning.

Well, you phrase it as if morals are a physical thing, therefor can be given. If you want to not sound like a pretentious douche, stop doing that.

Morals aren't some complex thing you can take credit for. It is just an overly elaborate term for basic instincts. Your "moral compass" to do the right thing is simply your base urge to stay safe. Generally, doing the right thing will get you rewards in the form of safety. It's not like there are some humans without morals (not including mental illnesses). Some morals just don't jive with society, and a peaceful society means safety.

Stop making it sound like morals are some separate thing that have been gifted to humans. Fucking dogs have morals. It's just animal instinct.

I thought you were about the consistency principle. Immigrants have similar crime rates to natives. So borders being open does not harm peace of the society now. Thus you should support it to be consistent.

I am a vegetarian, why are your morals different than mine?

Basic game theory. In a society where I have to live with other people it's disadvantageous to kill, steal, rape... And advantageous to cooperate, be nice enough, and look out for myself without harming others. Those become morals. Where's your religion now?

>The first step in religion is to destroy the natural world, and cast over its corpse the great "illuminating" shadow of another promised world.
You've absolutely no clue about what religion does.

AROOOO!!! AROOOO!!!! AROOO!!!!

So you reject it due to some deep reason or just think that it cant be right by instinct?

In a stateless society borders would be open up until they are closed by whoever owns a given parcel of land.
In a democratic statist society with a welfare state, immigrants pose great harm to the wellbeing of the people already living there.
It has nothing to do with crime and everything to do with gibs and big govt, both of which violate self ownership of the people being subject to them.

Love

Basic game theory is right. But you can not compute the probabilities of what the effect of actions will be over a long term. Religion provides heuristics, shortcuts if you like to people to prevent them from prioritising short term gain for long term collapse

>In a democratic statist society with a welfare state, immigrants pose great harm to the wellbeing of the people already living there.
>It has nothing to do with crime and everything to do with gibs and big govt, both of which violate self ownership of the people being subject to them.
Again all you asked for a peaceful society. Now you're adding more constraints.
Just illustrates that this is not as simple as you think it is.

mommy and daddy

(That knowledge of objective morality, aka the Natural Law, is sourced in God)

Ayn Rand, despite what that faggot Sam Harris thinks of her.

Confucianism

> taking what sam harris says unironically.
You must be new here.

Reminder that Objectivism is literally the common sense philosophy just with the metaphysical and epistemological why of it all explained.
Common Sense+Meta=Objectivism
Remember this.

To clarify, "the first step" is performed by bored sociopaths who make up a story and call it Really Totally True in order to get a temporary thrill.

Religions subsequently survive because less broken people reflavor the stories and reinforce basic decency instincts with them.

>and no they did not come up with rules because they wanted to control society.

come on, man

Rational Deduction

Not.... some... cuck... tradition.

From myself. I dont treat people badly, because i will be hated, thus be ostracized/killed. Also i dont like to destroy things i love, including people i have attachments too. When it comes to random strangers, i do the same, since i love strangers enough to not want them to be in pain.

Only fags get their morals from women

Pity faggot Kant got hard-refuted by a certain capitalism loving broad

Look up how things evolved mate. The customs were already being practiced, before Christianity adopted them.

Upbringing, culture and traditions. I aknowledge that Christianity is an important cultural influence to the west, but I just can't convince myself to believe in it's supernatural side, and I don't think any magical miracles happen or ever happened.

I suppose I'm just not a spiritual person, despite being raised in religious family the concept of being religious feels just too foreign to me.

You must have been raised by faggots then

Also, only brainlets need external motivation to remain moral. If you cannot argue for the utility of morality, without "muh punusmhent", you are too retarded to have a civil discourse with

I have an iron-clad excuse. youtube.com/watch?v=vANA3AGs4Dg
Ayn Rand would be the first to agree with you and say it is a pity a man hadn't formulated her philisophic system before her.
Understand that Ayn Rand is a massive outlier among women. One of the unspeakably rare instances where a woman actual came that outdid men of intellect. A one in a trillion statistical anomaly. The fact that Objectivism wasn't formulated by a man first was pure bizarre chance.