We need the shuttle program back

We need the shuttle program back.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cnnTFJ1BcHw
youtube.com/watch?v=qXE0Xvbk64I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

god no it sucked shit and killed astronauts

The Shuttle space program is a good reminder to never let women near a nations space program. Women have no concept of danger and badly misjudge risk.

NASA needs to be shut the fuck down and deserves to be replaced by a new administration. They're lazy and don't focus on actual affordable space travel, they focus on being in orbit and seeing what shit does rather than actually exploring and colonizing space which we should be doing. We had the technology to send men to mars by the 80s but because of NASA and how retarded we are we still haven't left the Earth-Moon system. They try to develop all these fusion powered space craft when we could send men around the solar system with the technology we've had for decades.

It never went away.

The Challenger and Columbia disasters were false flags.

I think that Russia's method is superior.

They weren't false flags, it just shows that shuttles were overpriced and faulty.

obsolete technology is obsolete

Yes, please blow up and kill 20 people at a time more. The program fucking sucked and it was boring, I don't think anything was even accomplished with it. It brought tourism to my area of Florida a bit, but now SpaceX is bringing it back anyway. Doesn't matter what goes up in the sky, as long as you can see a rocket from the ground.

Agreed, right now even North Korea has better rockets

American Space Program is a meme. Theyd rather spend trillions blowing up sandniggers in the middle east than colonising Mars.
My money is on the Chinese Space Program. They have the ambition, the personal, the capital and enough stolen technology to start real space travel.

My money is on China in general. They will easily take over the USA in a few years.

Yeah bro, the shuttle design DOESNT work.
DO NOT by any means necessary look into the space shuttle designs and try to replicate it or improve it because you will end up like Challenger or Columbia. Trust me!

They're making a new shuttle called Dreamchaser though.

Exactly.

the space shuttle program was the biggest hole in man's pocket since the dawn of time.

If they were false flags then it would be done to eliminate space shuttles for whatever reason, obviously that hasn't happened so what are you talking about?

>Colonising the rock that's so far away that we can hardly communicate with whatever is on it
>Because pop-sci said we might, one day, be able to terraform it using technology we don't have
>Not the resource rich rock that's a three day trip away
>That we could use a base on for launching shit at mars anyways

Scifi nerds are a cancer
>BUT MARS IS COOLER!
>MARS BASES!
>JUST LIKE IN MY COMIC BOOKS!

this. They need to realize that the Mars mission is a billionaire's pipe dream, and colonizing it is ultimately worthless.
No person born on there could ever return due to the gravitational difference and no element mined there would justify the shipping cost.
It's a dead dustpit with a cooled core

Daily reminder Russian rocket technology is steal superior and cheaper. Usa still havent been able to reverse-engineer Russian rocketboosters even when they have had access to them by buying them for decade. Because their own stuff is inferior and more expensive. All high altitude usa stuff is launched by Ruski tech.

It was done to eliminate copycats. All eyes are on NASA every time they launch anything and other countries were seriously trying to reverse engineer the shuttle.
The government was worried other countries might catch up in the space race so they threw them a false flag distraction to get them off their trail and stall other countries’ research on the shuttle type of transport. At least until the US has developed another much more advanced model they can make public again.

Soviet burana shuttle was way better and than usa shuttles too bad they ran out off money.

I agree with this, we should colonize the moon first because it's closer, easy to communicate with and is easy to launch rockets from. Mars is a stepping stone to the rest of the solar system though. The apple in the eye for humanity should be moons like Titan, Europa and Enceladus since they're our best bets to finding alien life though.
The Soviets actually had a space shuttle called the Buran though.

This. Shuttle was a mistake.

FUCK NO we need to go forwards not backwards

SSTO's are the future

*takes a steaming shit on your Constellation Program*

Exactly.

Russia sends their ships into the Pacific ocean, and you're not even using the opportunity. Really now?

The shuttles were a failure.

We don't get much more tourism, it's all about dem jobs.

The shuttle is a perfect example of how horrible "design by committee" is.

Everyone wanted it to do something, so it was designed to do everything poorly and expensively as possible.

Useless ancient technology that did little good. Previous administrations outsourced the rocket program in a bid to delay the narrative.

Shuttle was a camel. A camel is a horse designed by committee. It ended up not doing the things it was designed to do.

Incorrect. social security, and obama care (gibs) is.

That Shuttle design was a piece of shit. Shuttles in general cost more, carry less and are less versatile than rockets. The one supposed advantage of shuttles is that they can operate like a passenger plane and turn around quickly, but the STS took a fucking ton of time to refit. Hell, the STS cost $450m per launch, while Soyuz costs about $110m. It has a 1.5% flight failure rate. It killed 14 people.

Shuttles sound cool but DO NOT WORK. Name a single reason to develop a new shuttle.

The Soviets designed Buran which was far better than the Shuttle. They developed the Energia launcher to go with it which would have blown the fuck out of the American space program, but then the USSR fell apart and it couldn't be used.

Sort of this. Because chasing space at all is retarded.

That's the problem with NASA in general, there's no unity and everyone wants to use their own pet technology in everything.

the shuttle program was an abject failure.

it failed every single objective that it originally held

thankfully, spacex is actually developing a serious reusable and relatively space launch system

That thing that never even got off the ground? That thing that wasn't even developed enough to pose a danger of blowing up on the pad? So it wasn't better then, was it?

It was launched into orbit you idiot. It then reentered and landed by autopilot. The Shuttle didn't even have an autopilot.

the loss of the Energia launch system was the biggest loss to space exploration in general. That and the shuttle program.

Those two factors are the biggest reasons for the state we are today.

>spacex is actually developing a serious reusable and relatively space launch system

youtu.be/cnnTFJ1BcHw

>shuttle program

a shuttle implies something that travels frequently between places
also something that is cheap
some weird overbuilt rocket-glider that has to be reassembled after every flight inside lab conditions is not a shuttle

i was skeptical a few years ago too.

I aint skeptical anymore.

I understand the rationale behind discontinuing it but man we sure lost something in our national pysche when it happened and we had nothing to follow it up with.

We could have bases in moon and mars, but we decided feeding niggers was more important. Also, niggers protested apollo.

Sadly, this is true.

No, you don't. It was shitty first time around as politicians and military ruined it. Also it was designed by Max Faget.

t. mad cape ape

Porcupine

I back up the NazBol on this one. You don't make scrambled eggs without breaking eggs. Let's take a few human guinea pigs, space nao or gulag nao.

Black projects likely surpassed the public front that is or at least was the NASA shuttle programme many years ago.

It is unfortunate that these projects are limited due to intense secrecy, combined with the massive funds required to continue their development.

However a shuttle programme at least gives some hope for humanity in the public sphere.

Or this

youtube.com/watch?v=qXE0Xvbk64I

No.

We lost Challenger because a bunch of fucking midwit managers wouldn't listen to the genius IQ top engineer of the SRB program. They were told not to launch with temps that low. They didn't listen and astronauts died.

We lost Columbia because...again...a midwit manager wouldn't listen when genius IQ engineers told her they suspected catastrophic tile damage and wanted to do either A) a space walk inspection, or B) a spy satellite inspection. If either had been approved NASA would have known Columbia was doomed. Here's the thing: NASA had ANOTHER SHUTTLE nearly ready to go. And Columbia had consumables to last just long enough for that shuttle to reach it and save the crew.

The shuttle didn't suck. Midwit managers suck. They always suck. It's a problem across governments and corporations. The geniuses have great engineering skills but relatively poor social skills so they end up under midwits with better social skills, but insufficient IQ to know how to evaluate technical situations.

The shuttle didn't suck. Management sucked.

>the shuttle program was an abject failure.
No it was not foreign fag.

The original objectives were far too rosy in order to sell it to the USAF and therefore Congress. That's politics in America.

But that doesn't mean it was a failure.

it's best to wait for miniaturization and efficiency, ? years from now we will be able to send up a solar powered nanotech thing for negligible fuel

This. I worked on a NASA base and it was clear it's become more of a job program. Thousands of employees doing a job a couple hundred could do.

We should have never abandoned Apollo. My brother took went through his mechanical engineering courses at UAH and one of his professors worked on Apollo. I asked it, all things being equal if the shuttle was more cost effective than the Saturn V launch system. My brother asked his professor, and the professor did the math and came back with the result that given the turnaround times on the shuttle and the sharing of critical components that the disposable launch system was actually less expensive to operate and when you factor in the higher payload of Apollo that it was a superior system to the STS.

>The geniuses have great engineering skills but relatively poor social skills so they end up under midwits with better social skills, but insufficient IQ to know how to evaluate technical situations.
tfw long ago we didn't have this problem because real men who were great engineers as well as leaders were sought out for management positions

The one thing the Chinese have that we don't is a willingness to let people die until their engineers get it right. Space exploration is dangerous and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Poppycock. You're more likely to die in a car accident than die in a space crash.

How many people go on space missions as opposed to drive cars? How many people go into space drunk as opposed to driving drunk? Space is fucking dangerous, luckily it's becoming safer as our technology improves and the people there are normally professionals.

The original theory (fantasy?) with the Shuttle was that flights would become more frequent and thus more efficient and cheaper, due to reusability. Instead it went the other way, and the thing just ended up being a jobs program for lots of different congressional districts.

I liked how it was an actual fleet but the shuttle program was, if not a step backwards then at least the effects were far less remarkable than expected and we had to go back to the old ways.

The shuttle program just sucked up money from the primary purpose of NASA

Buran. Flew once, brilliantly. Then cancelled. Fucking commies.

No we don't unless we get new shuttles to go with it. The ones we have are unsafe, overexpensive, loaded with features nobody needs, and somehow people can't see the link between the three.

If you look at the space program as a second home, then Mars makes sense, because it is seemingly impossible for a moonbase to be self-sustaining, but there are a lot fewer challenges with Mars.

No shit NASA bro. I can tell stories from Greenbelt you wouldn’t believe.

Agreed, but I don't understand the thought process behind that at all.
How many deaths in Chiraq per week? Yet people threw a major bitchfit about a globally prestigious, mutli-billion dollar operation because a teacher died?