Why is she so perfect bros

why is she so perfect bros

I want her to take a huge steamy dump on Akko's chest.

Because she triggers the fuck out of pathetic plebs who would rather rage at a fictional character than make even the tiniest effort to fix their train-wreck lives.
They should be here shortly...

LOL

"Tonight.... me!"

Because you touch yourself at night.

Because she touch herself at night.

heh

Has magic gone too far?

The rarest smile is the most precious smile.

It won't last, they are too much alike.
A good relationship needs a blend of similarities and differences, Diana would be happy with someone who was as prideful as she is but more emotional and extrovert.

I've got a question regarding the subtitles preference.
Does the majority love short and to the point translation, or more word by word translation?

whatever makes it worth watchin breh

Whatever that's accurate and conveys the meaning of the original dialogue.

This.

>migrating before anons
He's learning.

What's the difference?

Really only thing that matters is memes.

we love the memes [gg] are our guys

>555
This.

>word by word translation of Japanese

it's impossible because of syntax

Tattun who's your favorite girl in the show?

Because Trigger's writing is about as subtle as Gen Urobochi.

He said it's Diana.

Greata thread

would there be only English official subs?

Tattun, which 2hu would you fug?

Transliteration is bad in a sense.

I can't describe, but we just want a translation that flows well

>Talking to Diana
>She gives you this look
What did you say to her?

Diana a shit.

transliteration is just converting chinese symbols to romaji, user

Are you going to watch tomorrow's episode with us? Any two words spoiler for it?

Like, for example the first episode where Akko is asking around for the bus stop.
She asks the boys,
"Hey there, got a moment? There's suppose to be a bus stop around here."

The above would be a word to word translation.
An example of short and to the point translation would be,
"I'm looking for a bus stop."

They both convey the same message, but I was curious which is preferred.

>"Hey there, got a moment? There's suppose to be a bus stop around here."
this one is obviously better

the second one is suspiciously short, as if the translator purposefully tampered with the material

translators should remain invisible, read Venuti

Word to word translation is better.

word to word translation please

>Tattun is asking about translations
Summoning Daiz.

2nd one is way too short man

This is much better.

Not always if you learned Japanese.

You can see subs going way off what the japanese really meant but in a perfect sense just to match the perfect feel

Word-to-word please. Too much is lost in translation for the second example.

It's japanese. Word to word translation will be shit and unnatural to english

There's an opinion that shorter context makes it easier for the viewers to follow the story. How's your take on that?
Whenever I watch some foreign films (not that I watch a lot but) like RedCliff, I had a hard time following the subtitles.

... What?

groom

Word to word, The shortened version makes her sound like a rude tourist when in the word to word she sounds polite

I'd prefer if the honorifics are kept.
Translation notes are alright.

Word by word translation.
A skilled translator will find a good compromise and leave a note where it's necessary.

that's just because you're American, my dear girl

Word to word translation wont feel natural if it's japanese to english..

Tbh honorifics make translations look forced to me. Swapping them by Mr/Mrs or Sir/Lady feels more natural.

I don't you're wrong, and there's certainly some idiosyncratic differences between languages where it would make sense to use "to the point" translations, but you have to remember you're dealing with a bunch of nerds who really want every drop of information passed through to them in the show so they can analyze it.

Why is Akko casting Shiny Arc in the episode 11 story pics?

the theory of subtitle translation states that one line subtitles are simply the best, two line ones should be used when absolutely necessary, three line subs are just too hard to follow

Diana is perfection.

But it's not the same and they aren't interchangable.

But you won't be able to make out different nuances.
It's a focus on giving information without paying attention to how it's delivered.
The latter can be pretty important from time to time.

I stopped watching movies in english with subtitles a long time ago, because the translation to my language just wasn't the same thing that was being said, and that was really annoying. My japanese isn't that good, though I feel like anyone who could understand what is being said might feel the same. And also if the translator takes some liberties, there might be some misunderstandings.

Keep in mind that in this case we are not talking about general fansubs, but subs for the general public.

I don't know if you ever watched Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei with fabsubs (I can't remember which group did it, though), those were kinda word-to-word and the adaptation worked pretty well considering the puns and jokes.

I want to Diana Dianas Diana!

Thanks for the opinion guys. I guess the general crowd loves more verbatim translation. I feel the same way so I guess I'm glad.

However, I feel like the example I provided was a bit too extreme. How do you guys feel about the following,

Episode 4 starts off with Lotte receiving a mesage from GreatBen. Her dialogue was,

"It's a message from GreatBen810" (verbatim)
"It's GreatBen810" (shortened and to the point)

Which of these two would work better in your opinion?

Kumeta's works are dense with obscure references and intentionally bad wordplay, it's a challenge to deliver a workable translation, let alone a good one

English doesn't have honorifics as arbitrary as Japanese, Kun,chan,bo,shi don't have english equivalences

GreatBen810 sent me a message

It could also be "It's from GreatBen810".

the first one

>"It's a message from GreatBen810"
Doesnt feel natural, the context about the "message" word is already in the scene.

Both of these are relatively short, I get your point but to get it through you need a better example my dude

The first one.

Though, putting that example aside, I'm sure depending of the case, you can juggle from verbatim to "on point", so that it doesn't interrupt the flow and you don't have to pause to read what they say.

In that example the shortened version works because the original was already simple, but like said it could use an adjective to sound better

Second since in that case we don't need to be told that it was a message. That is something that can easily be inferred by the visuals of the scene itself.

The former is too formal.

Depends on whether or not the word message was in Lotte's original sentence, I can't remember that from the top of my head. If it did, the first one, if not the second. Don't add/delete words.

I think on the previous example Akko addresses them with formality, so can't let that part out.

This one however would be better when it's shortened and casual, i think.

it's "It's a message from GreatBen810" in Japanese because the show takes place in England and in the English context, I presume that English-speaking audience would understand that GreatBen810 send Lotte a "message" just by looking at it on the screen

hence, it's smarter to say "it's from GreatBen810" since we already know what "it" is

saves you space, easier to follow

I'm most concerned about the meaning getting across. Far too often translators try to place memes or other material that wasn't there originally. I would like something like

"Do you know if there is a bus stop around here?"

Another important aspect of subtitles being good or not is how they are put together. Too many lines or hard to read fonts often make following along more difficult. If I have to constantly go back due to not catching all the subs, I'm no longer absorbed in the story.

The biggest sin though is spoiling something with the subtitles. I don't have the image so I'll describe it the best I can. During KLK when Satsuki stabs Ragyo, Ragyo's speech is ended with a hyphen -
This gave the indication she was going to be interrupted. GIven the context of what was happening,

Meant for

the scene is right in the beginning of episode 4
there's no dialogue before it and you cant expect the viewer to know that the crystal ball can do emails

In that case the second, because the scene itself conveys that it is a message she's talking about. I would prefer "It's from GreatBen810" as another user suggested, though.

Accuracy of message is important, but even more important than that is not losing the character's personality in translation.

Looks like I forgot to finish my thought.

GIven the context of what was happening, all hope of a surprise was ruined.

I wouldn't ask about sub preferences on Sup Forums if I were you. It can only end in failure.

fuck off Daiz

>"It's a message from GreatBen810"
In my language it sounds natural.

Personally, I prefer the latter. The first one is unnecessarily verbose and comes across as clumsy oratory

If this is what she says, this is what you should go with. The only issue is where your "word for word" translation results in something that is unnatural or confusing in English; in such cases it would preferable to adjust the translation accordingly.

Tattun will you dub an entire episode in Fish and subtitle it for us?

Paku paku paku, paku paku, paku.

Anglos deserve to suffer.

Thanks for your opinion guys. I guess there's no clear cut answer to this. I suppose single line is favorable, and being accurate as possible with in the single line is the middle ground for this.

That is correct, that's why I found those subs quite well done from what they could manage.

>There's an opinion that shorter context makes it easier for the viewers
This may be true for viewers who are slower readers and have difficulty following both the visuals and the text at the same time. That said, I personally don't have any problem keeping up with subtitles and would greatly prefer an accurate translation over an abridged one. (Doubly so as it is helpful for those of us interested in learning Japanese.)

That might have some merit for complex, fast paced movies where there's a lot of dialogue, but for LWA I don't think it's needed.

The "message" is unneeded because we learn it's a message naturally, but at the same time we don't know who/what GreatBen810 is. "It's from GreatBen810" is a good middle ground

it's for Netflix viewers, not people interested in Japanese

if Tattun changed the entire plot into Neon Genesis Evangelion the wouldn't have noticed

That one is so short you might as well take the longer one.

I vastly prefer the spirit of the character being preserved within the translation. A lot of the time when you shorten things you lose a sense of character, almost like your dumbing it down.

Why are you even asking this? Are you in charge of the bluray subs?