Is Naruto the "smartest" shonen series of its time?

Is Naruto the "smartest" shonen series of its time?

Other urls found in this thread:

naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Asura_Path
youtube.com/watch?v=pI7Jc-fSQQ8
youtube.com/watch?v=mHlStiZWn5E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Is Naruto the "edgiest" shonen series of its time?

Let me guess, 2 seconds after this, Naruto just shrugs off everything that guy said and starts power-hoarding by screaming really loudly?

CHIGAU! WHAT DO YOU KISAMA EVEN KNOW?! WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YOUR CONCEPT OF UNDERSTANDING OTHER NINGEN IS FLAWED! ONLY BY REMOVING THE EMBERS OF SENSOU CAN SHIN NO PEACE BE ACHIEVED! etc

>they've never seen the pain arc
way to miss out on the biggest deconstruction of shonen that exists

you guessed wrong.

How about you elaborate a bit on this? Cuz I'm sure as hell not going to watch 400 episodes just to check this out.

your loss then.

I swear to god if anyone unironically mentions hunter x hunter I will fucking shoot them. Its just as bad as naruto.

Not him, but that's definitely not a loss.

Just skip everything and watch the arc if you're that curious, you're not missing anything.

I'm glad that you have such strong feelings about your favorite series.

Fuck off narutards

not really

I read the whole thing and I'm not sure I got your point. I didn't watch the anime tough, but I think the whole arc was pretty shitty. Care to elaborate?

>we're not so different you and I

oh don't worry, this thread also happened yesterday except it was hxh instead of naruto

>Its just as bad as naruto.
you mean worse*

hxh took 100 episodes to humanize its villains

Not really. If you really don't want to watch it :
Naruto straight up says "I don't fucking know" when the guy challenges him on his beliefs (basically telling him he's there to stop wars using nuke deterrents, and Naruto can't do shit about war so he should just STFU). Naruto loses his fighting spirit.
Love interest Naruto was oblivious to comes to try and save him, despite everyone else from the village pissing themselves in fear, hiding in the ruins, because bad guy is strong enough to solo them all (he just nuked the village, in fact).
Love interest is obviously going to die because bad guy doesn't fuck around, so Naruto tells her to gtfo, but she says she's fine with giving her life to him because she loves him. Tries to save him, but bad guy just stabs her in front of Naruto before she gets the chance to.
Naruto goes demon-mode, losing his mind, destroys almost everything, but is stopped by his father who was sealed in him because ninja are fucking wizards.
He calms down, turns back to normal gaining a strategic advantage in the process and beats the bad guy with it. At the same time he tells him his answer to the "you can't stop war lol" thing : he won't stop trying to stop it. And to break the cycle of hatred, he spares bad guy. This meme answer works because it's a reference to the book written by their common master.

Compared to One Piece and Bleach, it literally is.

What did you dislike about it? Other than the final copout which was disappointing but not as bad as people make it out to be, in my opinion.

Naruto had some really shitty parts, but I liked Pain.

Managed to last real fuckin long, so it's doing something right at least.

nothing smart about this series after pain arc ended it was actually pretty good intellectual series before then

HxH is literally the greatest shonen ever created and the only ones who think otherwise are ADHD underages who wants more flashy fights and edgy designs.

he said unironically

If Nardo ended with a pain arc that didn't bring everyone back to life, I wouldn't hate it so much.

well that's fucking retarded

Only Pain was "intellectual". Well, more like having gray morality instead of black and white.

Yeah, that's not a very realistic answer, more like idealism backed up by the MC sparring the bad guy after he fucked up everything, but I can accept that. Idealism isn't inherently wrong, although it should be backed up by more logical reasoning afterwards (that's where the series failed)

>flashy fights and edgy designs
>implying
Do you seriously think HxH is lacking in these areas? You have glowing red eyes and chains, a Cell clone with a syringe on his tail, a gay pedophile Joker clone, a fucking flying-centaur-demon-ant with an explosion sac powered by pure rage on his arm, and giant golden hyperspeed-punching bodhisattva statues plus nukes. If you want a great shounen without relying on edgy designs or flashy fights, read Yotsuba or something.

Hidan arc>>>>>>>>>>>>> this fucking garbage

It wasn't about ninjas doing ninja stuff anymore, but about dragonball power-level. Disregarding this specific criticism (since Naruto had not been about that for a time at that point) it was not bad per see, but the ending cannot just be brushed aside: it was entirely ridiculous.

It felt like the mangaka himself was not intelligent enough for the challenges of his story, and it shows elsewhere in the serie. To me, Kishimoto is dumb as brick emotionally speaking.

yes

This. Shikamaru was so based.

It would be better if Ino and Choji actually did something, but I guess that's asking too much.

And factually

Absolutely.

Not because of Pain though. Fuck him.

>It wasn't about ninjas doing ninja stuff anymore, but about dragonball power-level
Very true. There's a big power gap starting with Pain. That's why I think this should've been end game. This raises the stakes well, but escalation after that loses all its meaning.

I can agree with you for the ending, but I don't think it's that bad, just that it could've been executed better so it doesn't feel too much of a "changed my mind LOL". I wouldn't have minded the resurrection that much if it was the last arc, so it wouldn't just be a "I wanted to keep going with the same characters" device.

>It felt like the mangaka himself was not intelligent enough for the challenges of his story, and it shows elsewhere in the serie. To me, Kishimoto is dumb as brick emotionally speaking.
This. But it shows in pretty much anything else he writes, mostly the relationships between MCs and anything involving Sasuke.
I feel like he had a good thing going with Pain. Jiraya's death and the aftermath convinced me, at least.

Pain should ve known better than to kill characters in front of the MC. Didnt he powered up the same way when one of his nakamas was killed in front of him as well?

power*, fuck my english

Yeah. I feel like he wanted to make it personal right there. Especially since he gave Naruto a look, like "watch this bruh" before he stabbed her.

I like how he could handle Kyubi more or less but his huge planet thing was countered by Naruto turning back to normal. It was easily one of the most strategic fights in the series.

Jiraya's demise was indeed a high level ninjas battle done right in my opinion. It had an almost mystical vibe that made the power level meaningful and not just raw and simplistic display of power such as chakra bomb.

Such a shame though, the manga has amazing part, I agree with you on that.

The whole Naruto universe is a waste, in my opinion. There's a huge emphasis on the trio of MCs, the least interesting parts of the universe. Whenever you shift away from these fuckers it gets good. Shikamaru's revenge, Jiraya and Pain, or even Kakashi's past. Even the threads are pretty fun because nobody talks about Naruto's boner for Sasuke or the bullshit serious backstories, which makes the universe a lot more fun when you see the nepotism and eugenism shit.

The bit exploring Jiraya's past up until his death was the best the manga ever got.

>sneaking up in village
>searching for intel
>showing a lot of cool jutsus
>sage mode against Akatsuki leader

Yeah it's safe to say it never got this good again

The more cheese you have, the more holes you have.
The more the holes you have, the less cheese you have.
The more cheese you have, the less cheese you have.

Cheese = Naruto's "smartness" or complexity.
Holes = plotholes.

;_;

Jiraya is the best character.

There's a girl who vacuums up dead bodies. Gon goes SSJ3. It fulfills all of your qualifications for bad.

>Edgy designs
Then you completely ignore characters like Hisoka, Kurapika, and the entire Spider gang? Fuck outta here nigga

>Let me guess, 2 seconds after this, Naruto just shrugs off everything that guy said and starts power-hoarding by screaming really loudly?

No, he pretty much taps out like a bitch until his secret waifu shows up, confesses, horribly fails at a rescue attempts, and then gets stabbed (fatally, in Naruto's view).

The previous rage mode peak he hit was 4 tails, but after this he jumped straight to 6 then 8 and was gonna go all the way to 9 until his ghost dad chilled him the fuck out.

What was up with the cyborg shit? Back during the Pain days I could at least rationalize it as Nagato rebuilding that dude and still being able to resurrect him in the same state, but then resurrected Nagato had fucking mechanical arms. Am I to believe that the Rinnegan has the power to turn you into a fucking robot? Could Obito/Madara do that? Can Sasuke do it?

>shonen
>smart
pick one

How does Hisoka have an edgy design when he's literally dressing up a magician?

Or Kurapika with his vaguely Oriental clothing? Please enough.

What happened to this chick? She was suppose to be Shikamaru's love interest.

You just know!

How does he not look any older? What's his secret?

Skank needed to back off from Temari's turf.

Good Black don't crack

Is Boruto going to be too intelligent for Naruto?

Wouldn't that be Akame?

Did he ever get to fug Tsunade?

Samui, Tsunade, Ino. Who will he black next?

>underestimating Gintama

He traded his sperm for FAST and grip strength

There's nothing down there

>Rinnegan is an almost mythical power, said only to have been previously seen in the first Ninja

>lol now it's just a super sharingan

fuck everything

>measured not by how they live
>just what they do before they die

naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Asura_Path
Technically, we could have mecha Sauce, Madara or Obito, but nooo, let's forget all those powers except pull!

Naruto is honestly far more complex than any other shonen. The writing definitely falters at times and the art is pretty bad, but the setting, world building, magic powers, character backstories, are all top tier.

Kishi knew they would be too OP if they could use all the Paths.

A 'smarter' shonen series is getting the first movie of a new trilogy this year, user.

"deconstruction"

I don't think it should've been a thing at all, it's too dumb. But I guess Kishi needed a unique power for him and a way to give him three faces and six arms. Has Sasuke ever used the ninjutsu absorption?

In the final battle, yes.

I feel like the robot powers were undermined by everything else in the last arc

What's the point of firing missiles and head canons if you have other moves that do better?

Plus the chakra absorption and soul-stealing or whatever had about the same effect

One of the reasons a good villain is good, is because their words make sense.

That sounds a lot like Shirou vs Archer

>world building

could have been top tier but he never developed it enough so no

>ctrl + f
>0 result for "medaka"

Nothing more cancerous than Narutards spamming their shit threads everyday with their phone.

The difference is that Shirou never actually beats Archer in a physical fight.

I don't get the hate Naruto receives, especially the hate Kishi receives.

It's shonen jump. Of course bonds/friendships/idealism is going to play a massive role. That's what that shit is all about. Look at One Piss. At least watch seinen if you want fiction that makes any sense whatsoever.

>with their phone
I love how specific this is

The end of this arc marked Naruto's downfall.
If the ending were to be different, the whole Pain saga and the character itself would have pass as some of the greatest in the battle shonen genre.

Kishimoto should have planned things better. Forget about Obito and the retarded Kaguya and Sage thing. Make Tobi actually be Madara in Obito's body or something, dump the alliance and war arc, get the Jinchuuriki to be the spotlight and the villages working together not to defeat the enemy but to protect the Bijuus and after the Pain fight (a fight were people actually die and Naruto's character gets fucking developed) the NarutovSasuke fights takes place.

One day I will edit my own version of Naruto Kai where this actually happens

The amount of material Kishimoto skipped and didn't develop and the wasted potential literally hurts.

youtube.com/watch?v=pI7Jc-fSQQ8
Tell me if this isn't the best theme of Shippuden.

What went wrong with Sasuke? Kishi could definitely write edgelord antagonists. Itachi was done well, whole Pain arc is one of the best thing in the genre and I even liked characters like Hidan that got last second development before dying. Why couldn't he write Sasuke better?

youtube.com/watch?v=mHlStiZWn5E

Pain has the best theme maybe but this is the best song

it would've if kishimoto wasnt a dbz fanboy

What's funny is that Pain was able to take on the nine tails fox with 8 tails exposed, but then when Naruto calmed himself down, Pain ended up beaten by a mere ningen

He's Obito and Madara condensed into a few episodes at the end

Or maybe the whole point was to show how senseless Sauce was until Naruto had to repeatedly tell him that he can't just do things alone

It's like he lost stamina after doing a bunch of other strenuous things

Kishi remembered Temari was more popular.

Kabuto dont revived him.

and naruto didn't?

well Kyuubi did like 99% of the work against Deva Path

This. Was some good shit.