Collections

Do you guys collect anime DVD's and Blu Ray's? If not, what stops you from supporting the shit you like?

A lot of shows are unreasonably expensive.

Yes, I do if I really enjoyed the series.

>watch a series
>love it
>wait for it get a region DVD/BR release
>$60 for a few episodes or half a season
or
>limited print, out of stock, no reprints, scalpers/collectors want hundreds
I'll just stick to downloading.

Doesn't matter how many times I buy 80s shows, doesn't matter how much I support them, the 80s will never come back

I'm pretty proud of my collection.
I'm waiting for the western release of Gakkou Gurashi right now.

I'm a cheap bastard.

Collecting is pretty much all I care about besides Sup Forums and watching anime.

Just my absolute favorites that I would be willing to rewatch. I rarely ever rewatch anything.

>buying dubs

I have almost an entire shelf of DVDs and blurays but I can't get a good picture of them so here's a picture of my VHSs, most of which I found at local thrift shops.

Because a lot of series i want to buy is Region A only and im not buying a fucking american BD player just for anime
Anime is also expensive as fuck, i prefer buying manga

I only buy manga really, don't care about physical media much outside of that and buying novels.

Fine collection user, I really should work on buying the rest of Punpun but I really hate how ugly the spine covers look.

>12 episode series gets 3 DVD volumes
>Each volume sells for $50 - $60 each
I'll start buying it when the jew distributors stop charging so fucking much

The jap prices are ridiculous. Im buying the full season of Dimension W for $45 including the making specials and the bath OVA.

I feel like some shadowy group is purposely trying to sabotage any chance of anime being consumed by the majority public by charging ridiculous prices for BDs so the average person will be put off getting into the hobby.

>Nichijou BDs were $500 each
>Space Runaway Ideon BDs also $500

I mean I'm glad we managed to get the Ideon BDs subbed eventually but holy fuck why would they charge that much?

Like said, Jap prices are a even worse, 6 volumes for like $50 or $60 each for a 1 cour show.

Really? I think they look great, or rather, i think it's gonna look really nice once i got all of them

> any chance of anime being consumed by the majority public by charging ridiculous prices for BDs so the average person will be put off getting into the hobby
You aren't really meant to buy BDs to consume anime or get into the hobby, though. In Japan you're meant to watch it on TV, and in the West you're meant to watch it on legal streaming sites.

I only buy anime on DVD, if it's worth (like FMA:Brotherhood, and Nausicaa)

you can pick up a bluray player for like $30 around here now, are they really expensive where you are?

There is no point in having physical media in this day and age.

Favorite items you own? Mine are pic related. Both Captain Tylor and Disappearance are signed by Crispin Freeman, one of the few dub voice actors I respect.

I'd consider 30$ pretty expensive, especially if you include shipping and the price of buying the anime plus even more shipping for that.
Who knows though, maybe when i've bought all the manga and anime that is available to me i'll buy one.

This. Manga is much handier when on paper than in digital form.
>tfw your favourite manga isn't published in human-readable languages
>tfw don't know japanese

There is no point in most people being alive in this day and age. That doesn't stop other people from caring about them.

>Any Dowman Sayman manga
>Medaka Box
>Hinamatsuri
>Chikan Otoko
>Onani Master Kurasawa
>Sumire 16-sai
>Nozoki Ana
Never fucking ever in english

Atleast Spirit Circle's getting released in english

FMA is overrated garbage and naussica is one of the worst ghibli movies. Also who the fuck buys ghibli movies on DVD and not blu ray? thats disgusting.

I want to try building up a VHS collection for the hell of it, but I don't know where to begin.

Just go around thrift shops frequently. If that doesn't get you any anime tapes, you might at least find some cool movies.

I don't. Downloading is far more convenient and it's free to boot.

depends where you are, there's flea markets, craigslist, and especially garage sales

All of the stuff that I would really like to get is out of print and the scalpers are charging ridiculous prices for it.

Even new DVD's and Blu Ray's are pretty expensive relative to what you get. If it's a show, manga or LN that I really like, I'll eventually get a hard copy. My collection right now could only fill up about one shelf though.

No english subtitles.

>Spending money on any media
What's wrong with you?

I can't affort 60$ for 5 episodes and even if I end up buying it, it's mainly for the collection and I don't watch it because I've already watched the episodes. I buy a shit ton of official merchandise though.

Media wouldn't be made if people didn't buy it. If someone doesn't buy it but then bitches about this and that, then they should shut the fuck up.

There are enough normies and nips that buy it to break even and make a profit, why should I throw more money at CR, the investors and managers?

>"normalfags" and "normies" was invented by the fags at /r9k/
>>>/reddit/

Because if you don't, then you're just an entitled asshole. You're like a little kid who's told he can have a cookie after doing his homework but the little kid takes a cookie anyway without doing the homework. Sure, you can just download the shows but they're meant to be paid for. If you care enough about a show, there shouldn't be any problem with paying for it.

Of course I collect anime!

ITT the classic fallacy tu quoque ad hominem fallacy "It's OK I'm not paying for anime because the market is shit".Of course you're not obligated but then why do you guys keep complaining how shitty anime is nowadays? Can't eat a cake while having it too.

Your statement there is in itself fallacious.

You can recognise and call out a shit product without buying into the industry.

I collected for a while, but I am starting to getting rid of a lot of my physical stuff. Whenever you grow out of anime, you kind of notice that some of the merchandise takes up space and you'll never know when you'll have time to watch your blu rays or dvds.

>You can recognise and call out a shit product without buying into the industry.

For what purpose? If you really think it's shit then why even bother with it to begin with? And don't tell me watching anime for free is the only option you've got because if you're able to post here then you should be rich enough to buy at least something. Even if it's just a stupid doll.

If you're just going to complain about something without contributing anything positive and expecting people to do things for you anyway then you're just as terrible as the people you guys usually mock.

I like Punpun's spine. It's simple, not too much wording, and I like the color scheme. It's also the attention grabber out of that guy's bookshelf. t. Graphic Designer.

You are a reading man.
Your future will be the Nobel Prize winner.

>tfw most of the manga that gets to chile is shit that I'm not interested in at all except madoka and S;G
>tfw have to go to the us to buy all the manga that I actually like

>chile is upside down like australia
I don't know what stuff you're looking for but something like bookdepository has free worldwide shipping

Yes but I only have an old picture of it on hand.
I'll try taking a new pic tonight if this thread is still up.

really nice looking setup

how is the Biscuit Hammer release?

First, blu rays are pretty expensive. Second blu rays and mango take a lot of space. Most of my books/manga and dvds/blu rays are still in my parents attic because I simply don't have enough room for them. And I don't want to carry all that shit the next time I move. Why buy expensive stuff that takes that much room when you can put everything on an external hdd for free.

>For what purpose?

To point out the flaws in the product.
(and intentionally or not, influence perceptions of the product)

Anyone can spot a broken car even if they don't drive.

Don't get me wrong, I agree people should be supporting the niches they like. But it sounds like you don't understand criticism.

>buying anime
i buy manga, i can just download anime, but downloading manga and reading it digitally is fucking stupid

If I was to buy dvds/bluerays they should have subs in my mother tongue. After that, studio ghibli and lupins are pretty much the only ones that have them.

I'd collect if it did anything. Localized shit is still kinda pricey and it doesn't go fully to the animators, and sometimes it's gimped (in quality, or features) from the Japan releases.

Japan releases are way too fucking expensive and can have like 4-8 blurays for a 24 episode series, which is insane.

Manga is significantly more reasonable, even if localized shit doesn't help the mangaka much if at all.

I'd rather support a series through buying manga or merchandise. DVDs and BluRays just seems really expensive, plus I don't even have a BluRay player.

>watch pic related
>love everything
>want to buy
>rev up my wallet, I'm prepared to spend up to 200 dolla-
>look up price

Japanese prices are not an argument.

Over there buying the discs is a thing more similar to a donation towards future works.
Everyone records TV broadcasts. There is no need to buy discs in order to watch a show again. TV anime are essentially infomercials.

>collecting localized shit
Kill yourself.

I do still occasionally buy anime on BD (DVD for classics, if no other option), though I used to buy more in the past.

This is all my imported stuff not much. I have the Nep BD-Box pre-ordered if only for the Daki, and if/when it inevitably happens I'll buy a GuP BD-Box.

Only localized thing worth mentioning is just the Sora no Woto DVD set I have.

Got some shelves recently, but couldn't get a pic of the first one that wasn't blurry as fuck.

My Mario-series-enemy-plush-in-manga-shelf nigger.

That is some beautiful Aria collection.
Must feel like having part of Neo Venezia in your very home and heart.

>he hasn't got masterpieces 4 and 5 yet
f-fake fan!

It does! Especially with my whole room being covered in posters too. Going to sleep looking at a wall of Akari is the comfiest feeling ever.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to get them, didn't even know the 5th one had come out. Ordered them just now.

Latest addition to my collection is NNB Repeat.

Also a few artbooks.

>implying that that money helps jap animators in any significant way
>implying that I want to support Funi
>implying that I want to pay Aniplex's retarded prices

It's fine and perfectly reasonable if you don't want to user, a lot of the localized stuff is shit. Jap prices are dumb as fuck and I only bought a few BDs myself. The rest is all manga.

How's the Discotek release of Lupin part 2? I'm really tempted by it seeing as how there's no fantastic digital option. it's also nice that it's $40 for 40 episodes

I buy any series I like. It's pointless since I just download it and store it in an external harddrive, but I just like owning it physically too.

There was nothing wrong with it as far as i can remember. I think it just used some other terms for stuff than the fan translation.

Goodwill and the like.

Yeah, that's usually why I don't buy LNs. I've only bought NHK (which has a passable translation, I guess), and the first Boogiepop. Boogiepop's translation is a heaping pile of shit, and I even remember that Sup Forums digged around a bit and found out that the translator was this egotistical dude who was studying in Japan (back when blogs were a thing.)

It's a great release with plenty of extras such as liner notes. As you said, it's also a great deal.

Living in Bongistan is suffering, especially if you like Iyashikei-style anime than the more popular battle/shounen. It's understandable though considering they barely sell in Japan either. My meagre collection is mainly just Ghiblis and what few SoL comedies I've managed to scape together over the past ten or so years.

As for LNs/manga, I'm currently collecting five that are ongoing: A Bride's Story, Devil is a part-timer (LN), One-Punch Man, SAO Progressive (LN) and Yotsuba.

>American titles
Triggered

I know. But Sup Forums or /jp/ never talk about them and with every passing season, it is difficult to keep remembering all the Jap titles. The Maou anime was 4 years ago and I see a Otoyomegatari thread once in a blue moon.

I spent enough back in the day. $20-25 for a dvd containing 3 episodes. I even bought Tenchi on VHS back in the mid-late 90s.2 episodes per tape Fuck i was stupid

It's much better nowadays with box sets, but i'm too jaded to care.

>I even bought Tenchi on VHS back in the mid-late 90s.2 episodes per tape Fuck i was stupid
don't be so hard on yourself, those were thirsty times we had to take what we were given

how do you function in a room that small

Also, i dont even have a dvd/bd player anymore.

I could break out my ps3 again but i gave away the controller

yes

I don't get why Aniplex sets have to be so goddamn expensive. I wanna buy the Monogatari BDs but they're all like $150 each. They're nice sets but not that nice.

I'm also collecting Lupin. Trying to watch in order though so it's been a long wait for Part 2, but I knew Discotek would get it eventually. Was so happy when it finally happened. Such a good show.

Occasionally and only if they're

>subs for jap audio are just the eng dub script

I want that Kono Sekai one

do they still do dubtitles?

How do you feel about part 2 so far?

I don't really need more space when all I do is sleep and sit at my computer. Also I have a large living room, kitchen and closed balcony that I can use if I need to.

I would if it wasn't so overpriced.
I'm not paying that much if there is just the series, which is often the case.
Some special packages with extras can be worth it bu the average DVD/Bluray is not.
Plus collecting manga is better (especially when local editors go out of their way to make a good, full product instead of just translating), and the experience is better when reading on paper compared to screen, while DLs and DVD/Bluray are essentially the same thing (except some fan made subs are acutally better than official releases)

I recommend buying used Japanese releases. It makes them much more affordable, and nips are so gently with the stuff they sell to places like Mandarake that what you're getting is practically new.

>implying I could understand shit
Also, won't shipping and customs cancel the price difference?

If you're going to bitch about the price of DVD/Blurays then you should be bitching about the price of of manga/LNs too.
Jap manga are like 4 or 5 dollars each compared to $10 for a translated book. While the paper might not be high quality, the covers are better than localized and they come with a dust jacket too, so its balances out. I'd honestly prefer the jap style mangas instead of what we get.