The Falcon Heavy is on the launchpad

The Falcon Heavy is on the launchpad.

This is the end for all government-developed space programs. RIP NASA, Roscosmos, Shenzhou, ESA Ariane.

The free market won. The race to colonize the stars will be between the superpowers of Amazon and PayPal.

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/01/05/why-doesnt-nasa-develop-reusable-rockets/#7989b5e974f3
youtube.com/watch?v=PtBy_ppG4hY
youtube.com/watch?v=1maY10r_Bwg
youtube.com/watch?v=ytjIQ_alA1c
beta.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html
archive.is/bNOib
foxnews.com/politics/2017/12/28/trump-rails-against-north-korea-and-china-says-mueller-will-be-fair-during-wide-ranging-interview.html
redstate.com/diary/qstarweb/2016/04/20/john-mccain-bought-paid-elon-musk/
dailycaller.com/2016/09/12/george-soros-bails-out-musk-with-305-mil-solarcity-investment/
archive.is/xjuTi
theverge.com/2017/11/15/16649440/spacex-falcon-9-launch-zuma-mission-us-government-live-stream
usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2017/12/27/spacex-red-tesla-roadster-bound-mars/983669001/
cnbc.com/2017/12/11/elon-musk-sells-600000-of-boring-company-hats.html
space.com/38801-spacex-secret-zuma-mission-what-we-know.html
mashable.com/2017/11/14/spacex-zuma-launch-and-landing-secret-mission/#Wzn2BRMaRZqq
youtube.com/watch?v=BsQOpD4TIZM
youtube.com/watch?v=Q6WHjQ3Y3Uo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's going to explode at launch like all the other free market spaceships of the future.

Nice meme

What the fuck does the free-market have to do with a bunch of corporate dickheads waving their collective dicks around, especially when it comes to Musk? This has nothing to do with colonizing the stars.

Even the poultry amount NASA is supposed to be getting should be enough to blow these dickwads out of the water, but they'd rather put more money into tackling a tad more difficult things than a reusable rocket.

Yeah, if NASA does anything right it's cash management.

>tackling a tad more difficult things than a reusable rocket.
Like outreach to the Muslim world or investigating climate change?

>poultry amount

>poultry

I was already going to mention money management, but that just naturally comes with the US, or rather... any government in general because it's just a "sum" of money for different things all lumped together. If they put actual effort into anything, it would help.

You know what I meant and it didn't try to autocorrect.

>outreach
>muslim world
kek
It's easier to communicate with Voyager 1 than it is the muslim world, faggot

>climate change
>research
We might as well flush our money down the toilet, we already know emissions suck, recycling is good, solar is good, nuclear is the future. The end. Climate change is a meme at this point for the West, only the East is causing it now, shitting in the oceans and emitting crap in the skies.

>Maple poultry

The MIC is letting the private sector take over rockets because they can build their own anti gravity craft already. Rocket tech is obsolete.

Is this the rocket that is sending a car? what a fucking retarded use of a payload.

>the free market

Heavily subsidized directly and indirectly.
You know nothing about this topic.

Nice tone comprehension, you complete asshole.

Block your path

>I was already going to mention money management, but that just naturally comes with the US, or rather... any government in general because it's just a "sum" of money for different things all lumped together. If they put actual effort into anything, it would help.
You say this, and then still question why the free market is relevant here.

Government organisations are terrible at management because they don't need to compete. Their position is secure no matter what fuck ups they do.

Elon Musk is certainly a hack and extremely lucky, but it's still going to be SpaceX and the free market which is going to be driving space exploration now because all NASA is concerned with is jacking off to pictures that the 50th fucking rover sent to Mars takes.

It's common practice for first launches of a new rocket to be loaded with nothing but steel bars and concrete blocks

The first Saturn V launch payload was a sheet metal and balsa wood mockup of the lunar lander

would be cool if it works.
I don't give a shit what a untested rocket looks like on the launchpad

Because the free market has nothing to do with this. It's a privatized effort going about its own business because a rich man got salty about NASA not launching Mars-Missions sooner... not a "free market" competitor.

What are the "difficult and expensive things" that NASA is doing with all their money and expertise that's so much more important than reusable rocketry?

I mean they wasted 30 years and trillions of dollars in a failed attempt to pursue reusability already, which doesn't inspire much confidence in their ability.

What if china nuked Elon Musk?

Neato. I don’t think the free market would have necessarily got us straight there, but it’s good to see it taking over when the government becomes stangnant.

I guess someone had to pick up the slack since the original government vs government space age spanned from about 1957 to 1973, and since then there's been nothing except circlejerks with 1965 level technology and the aneurysm-worthy Shuttle boondoggle

I don't want to denigrate the old Soviet and American rocketeers at all, just wonder what the fuck happened to the generation after them?

Shrinking funds are what happened.

NASA's inflation adjusted budget has been fluctuating around $20 billion since 1971.

That year, moon landings were still happening, Skylab was being constructed and the groundwork for the Space Shuttle program was being laid out.

In fact, the SLS project is such an absurd disaster that they've already poured $18 billion and 12 years into it with zero results - but a lot of fanciful projections for what they might accomplish if given another 13 years and $35 billion

Lmfao what.

Do your realize how much they had

>In fact, the SLS project is such an absurd disaster that they've already poured $18 billion and 12 years into it with zero results
Meanwhile Falcon Heavy has been 6 months away since 2011, and even that is still cheaper and quicker than SLS.

NASA is about to get cucked by a private company. What an absolute disgrace.

>what is nasa doing thats important
For the past very long time? Nothing. Trump said he's going to change that.. We will have to see I guess. But as of right now the only thing that I am aware of that NASA is/has been up to is some real sketchy shit in antarctica.

Australia has had secondhand effects on space exploration at best. Anything is better than your space program

It's true. SpaceX has had embarassingly long delays where they could easily have been upstaged and surpassed by anyone. And no one did.

Russia has been continuously launching the exact same frigging rocket since 1965. NASA has gone full "just fuck my shit up" tier. If given infinite budget and infinite money they'd accomplish exactly nothing. The Chinese have been ... meticulously rebuilding and replicating all of the Russian technology from 1965. The European Space Agency has been inventing the newest, shiniest, most expensive versions of their own rocket designs from 1973.

>Ignore argument
>Bring up ancient irrelevant argument instead
Ignoring the fact that most of their budget probably goes to stupid old shit and maintenance of other stupid old shit... they've never had the fucking budget to reach "Trillions" of dollars. Ever. Over any period of time. Especially on a single project. It would also help if they probably didn't blow what budget they had left after said latter maintenance or what have you on launching more toys onto mars.

Plus they never tried.

forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/01/05/why-doesnt-nasa-develop-reusable-rockets/#7989b5e974f3

Fuck archiving it.

We don't have a space program. We don't even have astronauts, all Australian born astronauts had to become American citizens before they could go to space.

I built something like this in Kerbal Space Program.
It crashed in the ocean

lel so kerbal

It looks like the total development costs of the Falcon 9, including government subsidies, figures out to about $400 million

NASA couldn't fix a fucking toilet for $400 million

So not only did all R&D and production of the rocket cost less than one space shuttle launch, or one Delta IV Heavy launch, or apparently 1/4th of one SLS launch, the final product was also more cost-effective than even the Russkie's most mass-produced and time-tested rocket

That's what happens when modern technology eclipses old technology, but there isn't immediate demand to adopt it.

Fucking send it!!!

I look at this and it saddens me that the best we can do is use controlled explosions to push a heavy cigar tube carrying a human into orbit.

We should be so much further along than this.

I love that NASA is getting REKT on this, and I loved NASA as a kid. Watching NASA promise Mars to me as a kid and shit it away after the second shuttle disaster makes me madder than most things in life. I'm glad someone is finally making progress in my lifetime, and I'm glad it's still under my flag.

>use controlled explosions to push a heavy cigar tube carrying a human into orbit

That sounds like some 50s sci fi writing shit, you come up with something better then. You make it sound trivial.

Shut up and go watch another episode of star trek while people who understand physics keep on making things that work.

This IS something new because we're finally on the precipice of being able to bring the cigar tube back and stuff it with more explosives then launch it again

So that flinging a payload into space could potentially just cost the $200,000 worth of combustibles you're burning up instead of the $90 million worth of vehicle that you have to throw in the trash

Imagine how expensive plane tickets would be if at the end of every flight the 747 got ditched in the ocean

>that .webm
Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

Blame niggers user, blame niggers.

Always my favorite rage fuel for these threads

youtube.com/watch?v=PtBy_ppG4hY

I concur. Its a poultry amount to pay these Alfred Einstein guys to do their rocket appliance.

I always found it impressive that the space shuttle can carry an entire 747.

>SpaceX doing budget logistics piggybacking off of decades of research by NASA and others so the real scientists can do shit cheaply
>fanbois think this makes Musk the real Zephram Cochrane

SpaceX is literally FedEx for space. Where do you think they got the name?

In the amount of time SpaceX has existed, NASA had sent orbiting probes to every inner planet, landed humans on the moon, built Skylab, and were working on probes to the outer planets. And they started from literally nothing, not from 60 years of research and established technology.

I've seen this image used as an example of Jewish influence over blacks (as political pawns). I must say, I do find it hard to believe that the negress or her polio child made that sign.

Clips with audio are better
youtube.com/watch?v=1maY10r_Bwg

youtube.com/watch?v=ytjIQ_alA1c

When mama dies of diabetes the niglets can live off her back fat.

>In the amount of time SpaceX has existed, NASA had sent orbiting probes to every inner planet, landed humans on the moon, built Skylab, and were working on probes to the outer planets

if it is so easy why aren't India, China, Russia, Japan, or Europe doing it?

I have an idea, but I lack the funding to even try. My prototype would work with electromagnetic pulses oscillating in a band of mercury that is flowing in a centripetal fluxing pattern around the perimeter of a cylindrical pod. Word salad, I know... But I've always wanted to try it. Kinda like swinging a rock at the end of a rope, but the rock is an electrical charge and the rope is a band of mercury. You would need to program a computer to handle the balancing, but if you got it just right, it could "float" in a sense, which would render the pod "weightless" in the same sense. Then you could use very little propellant to steer it. I don't know if this makes sense written out, but I can see it in my head.
Ok
I know, and that's pretty awesome. I'll be watching closely I was a big space nerd as a kid.
Of course. I'm here, aren't I?

Relatively good point. Except for
>started from nothing

1) Nazis and that Van Braun guy

2) alien tech. But maybe I should go back to /x for that tho

You just copied the History channels explanation for how Nazi ufos might have worked. . .

I'm not going to call your idea crazy or dumb

I'm just going to ask if you really think your method can accelerate a payload to the 40,000km/h of our godforsaken gravity well.

It makes no sense. You are retarded. You think spinning some mercury around and some magnetic fields will get rid of the mass and inertia?

Dammit man, you're right!
I usually catch things like that, but I wasn't even looking due to thread topic.
I'm slipping.

>NASA is/has been up to is some real sketchy shit in antarctica.
You mean the ice telescope at the South Pole?

Why does it get bigger around the tip like a dick head?

>hungry
>fat rolls on arm
That stupid cunt is eating herself to an early death claiming to be hungry

SpaceX is CIA funded front front. To the tune of 5 billion USD. Its all kike bullshit. Musk is one of the sealed Federal indictments. Your fucking hero works for Soros.
beta.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html
archive.is/bNOib

I don't have TV and haven't for many years. I figure everything I can think of has been thought of before, but at least my thoughts are original to my own mind.
I'm only talking about the offsetting of the weight of the payload so that .01ft/lb force would move the payload. The amount of force to accelerate a weightless object should be 0, right? Mass x Acceleration with mass equaling 0.
No, I think the inertia will counter the mass rendering mass at 0

The article you provided says that SolarCity is receiving about $4.3 billion in subsidies to build solar panels, Tesla is receiving $500 million in subsidies to build electric cars, and these facts somehow invalidate SpaceX.

Space exploration is collaborative, and sending things into space is 1. expensive and 2. not that important in comparison to all other space science being conducted. In fact, manned space flight is rather pointless at this point, apart from being a vanity project

I saw this documentary circa 2006, so you probably just forgot that's where you stole it from.

foxnews.com/politics/2017/12/28/trump-rails-against-north-korea-and-china-says-mueller-will-be-fair-during-wide-ranging-interview.html

Play ksp you fucking normie. It's a fairing that covers the final stage. Without it, the satellite would have a non-aerodynamic, vulnerable profile.

It's possible. Like I said, I don't think the idea is original to the world. I would like to have the means to try things out, though.
Better get back to trading my BTC.

>poultry

Hahaha. They're getting paid in fucking chickens.

>Better get back to trading my BTC.
Good luck, any exchanges that still allow Americans to margin trade or short that you know of btw?

I think he meant "Why aren't they making reusables" since it's clearly of such massive benefit

I mean, the Falcon 9's finicky prototype reusability setup makes it the most inexpensive launch system in the world right now, and a truly effective one could cut launch costs by 95% or more.

John McCain bought and paid for by Musk.
George Soros Bails out Musk with 300 Mil USD
redstate.com/diary/qstarweb/2016/04/20/john-mccain-bought-paid-elon-musk/
dailycaller.com/2016/09/12/george-soros-bails-out-musk-with-305-mil-solarcity-investment/
archive.is/xjuTi

You are either a shill, or fucking newfag. The whole Musk enterprise is a Soros engineered scam. Why do you think Obummer wiped out NASA?

>Why does it get bigger around the tip like a dick head?

Toxic masculinity. White males want to impregnate the universe with their rocket-dicks while powerful, independent women of color starve and are unemployed.

You are still posting stuff about the solar panel business, which is a famously distorted and corrupt market, without ever actually making any references to rocketry.

Because you can't impugn the Falcon 9, because a superior alternative to the Falcon 9 does not exist right now.

underrated post.

Musk's whole business plan has been taking out NASA's garbage.

>underrated
Yes, it was a very enlightening drive-by comment.

While popular culture often shows corporations developing the nations of the stars, I can’t help but think their assets would just be seized before they could snowball to be anything resembling a threat

Changelly and Binance
Changelly is a direct exchange, though. You have to watch the ticker on whatever site (Investing.com phone app is good) and manually make your trades and hold your wallets on your computer, not in a trading platform. I like Changelly, but I could see people really not liking it because it's not a 1-clikc solution.

How would a Earth-bound government seize a space corporation? The first billionaire that can throw asteroids around becomes Emperor of Man, by the way. Musk could unironically become our God-King.

Yeah, 5 billion for solar. Why do you think Trump shut down the Falcon 9 launch in November? What was the payload?
theverge.com/2017/11/15/16649440/spacex-falcon-9-launch-zuma-mission-us-government-live-stream

And now he's launching fucking cars, and selling baseball caps. Gee I wonder what happened?
usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2017/12/27/spacex-red-tesla-roadster-bound-mars/983669001/
cnbc.com/2017/12/11/elon-musk-sells-600000-of-boring-company-hats.html

> a sheet metal and balsa wood mockup of the lunar lander

You mean like the "real" one

In a thread the includes alien, nazi, ufo and Soros conspiracy theories and one guys computer balanced mercury orbiter, it was pretty good.

Emperor of the universe, potentially. Grab an asteroid big enough to make a Dyson Sphere.

Like poultry.

>computer balanced mercury orbiter
ComBaMO

Thanks, user! I have a name for it now.

Don't believe that for a minute. Blue Origin still seems poised to build a rocket almost as large and considerably more advanced than Falcon Heavy by 2020, and they're backed by an even bigger fortune - keep in mind Bezos became the richest man on earth just this month.

The real problem I want to discuss is how come SpaceX and Blue Origin are both trailblazing such an obviously superior path but all of the government agencies are still puttering around with the same overpriced, ineffective bullshit they've had for half a century?

At some point they're all going to be left hopelessly in the dust like Commodore Computers.

So you're just going to post innuendo? And conspiracy theories? With a lot of superfluous question marks? That really make me think?

>Yeah, 5 billion for solar.
Why are you scoffing at that when the US solar market last year was north of $40 billion?

>now he's selling baseball caps
FUCKING SOROS

>and also Northrup-Grumman canceled their classified DoD payload
Okay I'm going to need a rundown on what you think the conspiracy even is here

NASA hasn't been the space program of the U.S. in a very long time. It's just the public face, the real shit is the stuff we've never heard about.

FPBP

Innuendo? This was the mission that was scrubbed.
space.com/38801-spacex-secret-zuma-mission-what-we-know.html
mashable.com/2017/11/14/spacex-zuma-launch-and-landing-secret-mission/#Wzn2BRMaRZqq

And now he's launching cars. You are a shill.

The car is a dummy payload because it's the rocket's first launch and there's a reasonable expectation it will fail.

Neither of the links you provided describe anything about what is in the mystery rocket, since it's a mystery rocket, but you also have not stated anything about why you think this rocket is sinister or why Northrup Grumman scheduling then removing it proves some ill intent on the part of SpaceX.

I am not a shill. If I were a shill, I would call you a dumb faggot and move on. I am trying to get you to engage and communicate with me because I do not understand what the fuck you are talking about or what you are actually getting at beyond "LOOK, BAD THING"

What you're looking at is a zero gravity complex machine model chamber. It coincides with the zero gravity complex machine assembly chamber. Going to "print" a car in space and bring it home to see if someone can tell the difference between the print and the original model.

it only took 63 years from the first flight to putting the first man on the moon, but it has been 49 years since the first man has been on the moon.

> Russia has been continuously launching the exact same frigging rocket since 1965.

Here's a new one:

youtube.com/watch?v=BsQOpD4TIZM

If USSR was alive, there would be:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q6WHjQ3Y3Uo

> re Chinese
I know they bought the designs of stuff like Soyuz spacecraft, Su-27, etc., but I think the rockets are not from USSR.

And the Falcon Heavy is going to be the most powerful rocket launched since the Saturn V moon rockets were retired. That 64 ton to LEO capacity? There isn't a rocket in the world in service today that can carry over 28 tons.

But more importantly it's going to also be on the cheaper end of the rocket spectrum. It's going to cost less than rockets that have 1/3rd of its payload capacity. It's even going to be cheaper than those lovely Russian rockets that have been mass produced continuously since 1965.

I realize I sound like a fanboy. I don't want to be. I want somebody to make a compelling defense of Ariane 5, or SLS, or Soyuz, or Long March, or Delta IV Heavy.

>Buran
Now that's tragic. The way it was abandoned in a collapsing warehouse is a crime against history. I don't know if it would have run into the same (numerous) failings as the Space Shuttle

>the Chinese
The Shenzou is a rehash of the Soyuz. The Tiangong is a rehash of the Salyut. They are preparing to spend the 2020s rehashing Mir.

>Angara
You know what? I'm not going to shit on it, especially because it seems to be a similar achievement to Ariane with a fraction of the budget.

The Soviet space program was magnificent from Sputnik to Gagarin but by the N-1 rocket it became embarrassingly painful. Then again, that's around the same time NASA totally went to shit.