CGI Anime

So is this the final form of anime? Are CGI puppets going to become and the norm, and is that a bad thing?

Just about finished this up and while it was a jarring at first, I felt it allowed for some animination consistency and nice fight scenes

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EuoxHdZgF2M
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-21/the-king-of-fighters-chinese-cg-series-slated-for-this-summer-with-japanese-voices/.113691
youtube.com/watch?v=NXZtohAeuWg
youtube.com/watch?v=1FKpU0pnne8
gurashii.com/kemono-friends-is-sending-japanese-otaku-to-the-zoo/
crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/03/13-1/kemono-friends-1st-episode-draws-huge-three-million-views-on-nico-nico-in-two-months
webnewtype.com/news/article/101897/
youtube.com/watch?v=G-pSJ_kjh8s
youtu.be/UtpXC2D0Shs
youtube.com/watch?v=8oVhZc26u7U&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=ek-V0xQzkwI
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1490208013063.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm willing to see more 3DCG anime so long it actually improves (techniques, execution and such) over time.

I don't think 2D animation will ever die out in Japan, though.

No, probably not.

Frankly, I don't care what happens as long as they quit being extra fucking cheap and quit it with the 8fps. If that means 3D, then so be it.

I'm ok with this

The character animation was fucking terrible. The only good thing was the 30 second fight scene each episode everything else was garbage.

It's best to stick with 2d we get more bang for our buck in low budget chinese cartoons this way.

No, Chinese cartoons are
youtube.com/watch?v=EuoxHdZgF2M

I have no complaints about CG, but japs can't into 3D shading.

The problem with CGI shows is the silky smooth 10fps

Bubuki was fine though.

yeah, once japan starts using cg with it's strength, at 60fps, it will be good

will Blame be Polygon's best work yet?

A CGI good as the one in Ghost in the Shell 2 or even a better one is fine for me.

60fps is good only for games though.
Most animations use somehting between 48 to 60 fps, and they only use 60 fps in action scenes.

As long as its not Cyborg 009 quality. Im good...

But does the low framerate work to simulate anime better?

>60fps is good only for games though.
wrong, 60fps is good for everything

>clearly have not seen higher framerate soap operas on HD TVs with frame rate increase technology.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-21/the-king-of-fighters-chinese-cg-series-slated-for-this-summer-with-japanese-voices/.113691

youtube.com/watch?v=NXZtohAeuWg

This looks greato

60FPS is excellent for video games, sports broadcasting, documentaries and such. But it should never be the standard for film, animated or not.

It was pretty good in Ajin. You could tell it was jittery at times but good direction and scene composition mask it to great effect. Anything can be made to look acceptable if you frame it right.

youtube.com/watch?v=1FKpU0pnne8

Did Blame! get released already? Where can I watch it? I don't care if I have to pay. Thanks!

Sidonia looked so shitty.

It got better and they've gotten more practice with that style. They should have done the Berserk anime.

There's an interview where the director of Sidonia explains that they intentionally reduced the framerate. He said it's unnatural for fans of traditional animation to see such fluid motion and that it looks better this way. 10 fps is here to stay.

The only argument for why that's bad is because soap operas are the only thing doing it. You wouldn't think it's weird if it were the norm.

yes

It hurts knowing that someone out there thinks this was the best shit ever.

this shit would be great for like a lofi psychedelic music video or something

As a style I hate it but you have to admit being CG allows for some proper storytelling and certain action scenes while making the budget very low. It means some experimental shows can be made which would probably not get the needed budget to be animated in conventional ways.
Sidonia was good, Kemono Friends is good, even Handshakers has some merit to it.

The most popular show of the season is webm related, so it just goes to show that a show doesn't necessarily need to be the most technically impressive or most well-animated as long as the characters are engaging, well-written, music is catchy, and the setting is interesting.

the problem is that they insist on sticking to low framerates

honestly this was fine except for the shitty framerate

I liked Sidonia's style personally. Although I think it's unreasonable to compare its CGI to other shows, since all of their character models are extremely similar, everyone wears the same outfits, etc... so it must be much simpler/easier to animate.
s3 fucking when

>The most popular show of the season

>most talked about show on Twitter
>first episode has more views than SnK
>merchandise selling like hotcakes
>2chan threads out the ass
>prompted many Japanese people to visit their local zoos to see the animals the characters are based on
It's not popular in the west but Jesus is it a wildfire in Japan.

I see more baseless claims here.

I demand news stories of school children inspired by this show to visit zoos.

I'd say there's potential.

gurashii.com/kemono-friends-is-sending-japanese-otaku-to-the-zoo/
crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/03/13-1/kemono-friends-1st-episode-draws-huge-three-million-views-on-nico-nico-in-two-months
webnewtype.com/news/article/101897/

Wow those are some terrible zoos.

its cause they ate most the animals

I thought that was corea ?

The technique is relatively new and must be perfected.
They will become better as time go bye. We will have to suffer the transition, but it will pay off in a long run.

>The technique is relatively new
how its been decades

>Etotama had probably the best full CG used in anime
>No one cared and it didn't even sell

I've seen this same argument used for so many things in so many places. Indeed, life is a circle of endless repetition.

If japs could maintain this level of fps and animation for the rest of the show it will be perfect

24fps is the standard for broadcasting and film. Even with CGI you will have limited animation with lots of frames being skipped unless you're Disney or Pixar which uses dozens of animators each one only doing a few seconds worth.

No - it's just a budgetary stop-gap. If it were ever going to be the final form, it would have been ages ago. No matter how much expression and detail you can get from a CGI proxy - "rotoscoping" using CGI will always be that much more superior. Now, the most common form? I can see that. Anime has always been a chase for labor vs. cost. I hope the medium prevails but it is a dying art once CGI is passable.
There are certain things that heavily restrict CGI that are probably decades away that are effortless for hand-drawing. And that's anything to do with abstract physics or things that don't obey the laws of "rigging" or "particle systems"

An example, the entire scene in Akira where Keneda in the third act is morphing into the all consuming cancerous monstrosity - I can't describe to you how impossible it would be to model, rig, and animate that scene in CGI. It would take so many man-hours, it would be faster just story boarding, key framing, then hand-animating the scene as they did.

CGI might be a tool- but it's far from an all encompassing one.

/3d modeller.

Anyone here remember this series? It has a fairly fluid framerate, and I think that only contributed to how retro it looks. Keep in mind that this was apparently completely animated using MikuMikuDance, a FREEWARE vocaloid program.

What do you think about next seasons CG anime?
ID-0, by Sanzigen (Arpeggio, BBK) directed by Goro Taniguchi, original
Unfortunately Nextflix jews licenced it so no subs til Summer
youtube.com/watch?v=G-pSJ_kjh8s

Seikatsuru no Kado by Toei
youtu.be/UtpXC2D0Shs

Frame Arm Girls by Zexcs, Studio A-CAT, like Busou Shinki but humans are 2d while titular FAG (Ha!) are 3d
youtube.com/watch?v=8oVhZc26u7U&feature=youtu.be

The Snack World by OLM, based one game by Level5

kill it with fire

The fighting scenes in Sidonia looked really good, only the characters were a bit wonky.

Seikatsuru no Kado looks relatively okay and the Eldritch alien cube gives them some justification for going full CG. The other two are pure shit.

God anime Kemono Friends is AOTY. CGI is fine.

I dislike 60fps, but that's a shitty example. Those TVs are literally making up new frames on the fly and it looks unnatural.

That looks like ass, though. Popularity isn't a good thing if it leads to budgets being used on shows that look like ass. We already get enough ugly 2D stuff, why go for even worse?

The sooner you accept that CGI animation can be a choice rather than lack of options due to low budget, the better it will be for you. Grow the fuck up already.

Kogane a shit. A SHIT!

The problem is its not 'anime' if its over 16 fps

Became a Sanzigen fanboy after BBK so ID-0 is an instant pick up. Well whenever subs come out that is. Other two I'll see I guess.

If you ask me, Bubuki was pretty damn good in both cases.

3DCG brings a lot of styles to the table

true cel shading (like Guilty Gear, Ninja Storm games)
faux cel shading (like Ajin, Sidonia)
full 3d (Gantz0, that thick robot short anime)

in the end it will be better in the long run, so don't be a faggot, install Blender and begin modelling

It looks like ass because it has no budget. And it's popular because it's good despite looking like ass

if you want CGI, go play some videogames, kids.
anime was for 2D. CGI is literally a cheap trick to reduce budget cost. CGI has no artistry, no creativity whatsoever

Thank you for your input. You can go ahead and kill yourself now.

I hope so. Sidonia had god tier action

I fucking hope not, Rotoscoping looks like shit, and cgi dolls look like shit, combining them makes them look double shit!

the ink is spilling

wtf that looks cool. when did the ching chongs learn 2 anime?

ghost in the shell 2 wasn't cgi

>when China makes animu better
When is this shit coming out?

What's your opinion on this?

They cut off the guy who jumps up to screw it so its meh. Oka's fights were toptier tho

If by "final form" you mean corpse, then yes, pure digital is the death of animation.

They're still trying to find their groove I think, but Ajin is a good example of how CG anime can look relatively good if you can tolerate the framerate

Hopefully the Blame! movie turns out good.

There's a long way to go with CG. The faces are plastic. You'd need dreamworks budget for that and the time to go with it.

Look at that gantz movie. Fucking beautiful, but the faces were still off. Then there's the issue of how much of anime isn't as realistically proportioned as gantz was. That's the next step to take.

The colour schemes also need to really work, anime can be more pastel and flat than reality, so trying to do some SoL shows in CG is going to look like shit (maybe that kemono shows proves me wrong with it's apparent popularity).

For me the advantage of CG is that it allows perfectly on model characters all the time, some added effects with physics/materials/motion when needed. I do just prefer the flatness and colour palettes of anime, I'm sure some will or already has developed a filter than can flatten CG.

>no shadows (the environment wasn't mapped I guess, huge amount of work for 5 second scene)
>face is plastic, limited hair movement

What ever they are doing with the clothing is great, it looks like traditional 2D.

I don't understand. The first episode was so bad I never went back. It's educational material for otaku/children right? Simply a phenomena I don't just can't connect with.

Yeah, my only complain was the derp faces characters like Nakano tend to make when they were hurt/dead. Also sometimes the characters felt like fucking robots because they didn't have expressions.

Nips meme it to the spotlight but since the story is different from usual seasonal anime so people latched on and continue meme-ing it.

Consider suicide.

>that last battle scene
SHENME?
There is a Dynasty Warriors anime and nobody told me?

what. That's worse than some mobile phone games.

CGI is very limited technique. It's more like puppet movie rather than animation. You will never achieve 2d animation style with CGI.

CG can be good but it has to focus on its own pros than simply try to copy 2D. Not everything can be like Guilty Gear.
I've seen CG shine in mecha where they don't have to copy a certain style and studios like Orange can do some great camerawork and fight choreography.
youtube.com/watch?v=ek-V0xQzkwI

I like it when they do silly things with CG.

The advantages of CG are irrelevant in film, more useful in interactive or simulation software.

It's a journey to the west adaption? Looks fine for a movie.

I only watched it once and sitting a decent ways away from the TV but Gantz0 looked so good.

I personally am excited for 3d anime as long as it steadily improves.
That being said, I still want 2d shows as well.

First season of BBK had plenty as well.

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1490208013063.webm

That does look nice.

Second season was more action and story oriented though, most of the goofing around was in the first.