How come there is no true western anime?

How come there is no true western anime?
It's everywhere in other media but there's barely any when it comes to anime.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9-TGaGa3QAc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>western anime

I meant it as spaghetti western, you know cowboys, secession and shit

Westerns are a genre kind of unique to america. The rest of the world doesn't bother with them unless they're deliberately pandering to or parodying american culture.

harem with a landwhale heroine cast when?

Westerns have been all but dead in the west since the 1970s or 80s as well. The most you get are pic related and space westerns.

You'd think someone would appropriate and change the codes to make a shonen.
But I guess is right and the genre is just dead, for shame.

I have no idea about manga though.

Wasn't there a Wild Arms anime

Why doesn't the US make television shows about the sengoku period? Probably because it's not a part of their history or culture.

Explain spaghetti westerns

Anyway Japan doesn't make them for the same reason Americans don't make a lot of shows about samurai

I too remember Japanese Vikings in history classes.

I kinda disagree
I think Westerns are obviously WAY more popular in America, but they have a big fanbase worldwide; I'm British, but know tons of people who love westerns
personally, I don't love them, but I do like them

and think how many japanese western-themed video games have been made (even though this was mostly during the 90's)

there is a fair global market for westerns
even cowboy bebop and trigun have loads of design elements borrowed from westerns

What's that supposed to prove? People can make stories about other cultures - they just don't do it very much.

>unique to america
nigger, the best western movie ever is fucking Italian, and Germany has been a huge fan of cowboy stories since before WW1, with stuff such as the Winnetou trilogy, until the 70s and 80s, even in Eastern Germany of all places.

Anyways, maybe anime writers are just not interested in that, or the style went out of fashion. There is Black Lagoon, which has the atmosphere of a western movie in some episodes, and 91 Days which is set a couple decades too late (Prohibition era) but still quite good.

Western in more of a theme like heroic fantasy, Cyberpunk etc than a cultural thing to me.

Soon.

Anime writers don't even make serious anime about their own history. It's always some garbage with Nobunaga as a little girl or something.

That's a funny way of saying "never"

And God bless them for those

I'm not sure what you mean. It's literally a part of US history and cultural identity. If you just take more general ideas and ignore those specifics, why don't space westerns count?

>It's everywhere in other media but there's barely any when it comes to anime.
Not these days, no. Tarentino might have tried hard to bring it back, it didn't work.
So the lack of general interest plus the unfamiliarity of the genre in Japan does not make a western anime (ramen western?) a good bet. No way to make sure it would find an audience and if one thing can be said about the industry these days is that "safe" is the keyword for pretty much every studio.

Japan has its own Western-like historical periods that encompass the same themes and dynamics. This more than anything else probably cannibalizes any drive to make an actual Western, as the stories that would fit that setting just go to Sengoku or Hokkaido expansion periods. You see this a lot in the bizarre amount of Samurai and Western crossovers and adaptations. Stories about Samurai become Westerns in the US and Westerns in the US become about Samurai or Hokkaido in Japan.

There was Gun Blaze West

And Carnage

That's all I got.

There is
It's called Cowboy Bebop

>tfw udon westerns will never be a big thing

>Westerns are a genre kind of unique to america
They really aren't, they're probably the most Japanese genre of film outside of Jidaigeki.

I just want Sukiyaki Western to be a thing.
youtube.com/watch?v=9-TGaGa3QAc

I love this film.

>Bishounen Nobunaga dicking a blonde Jeanne D'Arc inside a giant robot
>garbage

You're no fun

Hyouge Mono mate

>Westerns are a genre kind of unique to america
All the best westerns are Italian though.