Re:Zero - A Series of Unfortunate Events

The young siblings Rem and Ram are adopted by uncle Count Roswaal after their parents' death in a fire, but their suffering just began

lemonwater123.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/chapter-1-a-fiery-night/

Issue of the day: was Rem's romance with Subaru planned by the clown?

Other urls found in this thread:

lemonwater123.wordpress.com/2017/03/15/the-hidden-village-oni-sisters-prologue/
pastebin.com/u3VJggF6
youtube.com/watch?v=jV9iloNEpPU&t=356s
youtube.com/watch?v=aHwnFARzEp8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Prologue is here too.
lemonwater123.wordpress.com/2017/03/15/the-hidden-village-oni-sisters-prologue/

>was Rem's romance with Subaru planned by the clown?

Dear god I hope not

No.
But her getting nom'd was.

No. Rem nearly fucked up Roswaal's plans. He probably just think Rem and Subaru would become good friends at most. Their love was unforeseen by him.

Maybe the anime was more in line with Roswaal's plans. INTENSE FRIENDSHIP, not romance.

>Issue of the day: was Rem's romance with Subaru planned by the clown?
He seemed surprisingly okay with her falling in love with him, and acted like it was more or less expected. However, he did seem faintly uncomfortable in "Ordinary Day" when she was acting a little like a stalker. Still, he did choose her to be Subaru's bodyguard and keep an eye on him, so he probably did want her to be devoted to Subaru.

There's just one thing. Subaru falling in love with Rem contradicts Roswaal's ideals. That part probably isn't Roswaal's keikaku.

Or rather, it being mutual was probably unforeseen. He knew Rem was in love with Subaru.

Roswaal is the anime director confirmed.

>was Rem's romance with Subaru planned by the clown?
I think Roswaal did plan it but he might have not anticipated Subaru to love Rem back. Rather, he might have simply wanted Subaru to become more resilient (by being Rem's hero after friendzoning her) and more easily manipulated as he would become more devoted to Emilia. So Rem making Subaru change his mind is something Roswaal failed to foresee since he underestimated her I think.

Also why the fuck does Roswaal want to kill the dragon? For imprisoning his waifu's soul?

Truly, his kekkaiku has extended beyond 2D. That sleezy bastard.

Basically. Plus Dragon's blood.

How do people read these light novel translations? They're so bad.

What properties does it have?

Isn't Echidna technically revived at the end of Arc 4?

Well it seems to be some kind of magical cure-all. Maybe it can regenerate decayed bodies so Roswaal can finally transfer Echidna to her original body.

Roswaal doesn't know that yet. Poor granny Lewes, she died for Echidna's sins.

I'm just going to leave this here because I know someone is bound to ask it at some point.

Here are the previous translations:
pastebin.com/u3VJggF6

>one year gone since your waifui was ressurected
>doesn't know about it

C U C K

So, are the LN editors Roswaal too? Its scary that the clown's keikaku has even transcended the 2D.

>Finally he gets her body back
>Her soul has left Sanctuary over a year ago

Place your bets on what his reaction will be

Hopefully seppuku. Or suicide by Ram after she finds out what he did with her sister, coupled with losing the will to live. I can't see the clown getting anything his way.

FUCK NO

Idea for a gif or webm: get the moment when Rem says "Well I love you Subaru-kun", cue Roswaal fading in to the background with a smug smile.

No, it wasn't planned. It was literally the only thing Roswaal did not plan for. He's so sure people's feelings stay the same he counts on it on all of arc 4. People changing how they feel fucks up Roswaal's plans. So we can be sure he thought Subaru only would ever love Emilia and not Rem. Calling it now, Subaru's love for Rem will save the day and fuck Roswaal.

Or better yet.
>Clown is left dying, without any nearby healers talented enough to save his life.
>Calls someone over to his side, to hear his last words. Pick whoever you like.
>Partially possesses them.
>Because they aren't an empty vessel, it's more of a personality merge where the guy receives all of his memories and access to his Gospel.
>Fun times ensue.

How deep does this rabbit hole go

>Roswaal only adopted and raised Rem because he knew she would become useful later on.
>Roswaal kept attacking Rem's low self-esteem to make her feel even more worthless and inferior. Also Rem would appreciate Subaru's presence even more and become madly in love with him and be capable of "From Zero"ing him.
>Roswaal got rid of Rem after Subaru became tougher and more resilient to break Subaru a little bit and make him become vulnerable to Roswaal's evil scheming, including turning Subaru into another Roswaal and be wholly devoted to just Emilia.

Seems plausible to me honestly.

Every thread until Rem wakes up.

But you're wrong. Roswall is mad as fuck that Subaru won't completely dedicate himself to just helping Emilia. If you were right then he would've planned for it. Subaru falling in love with rem is clearly against Roswaal's wishes because he only wants Subaru to care for Emilia.

He wanted Subaru to care for Rem, the same way he cared about Petra. Why do you think he hired Petra? He knew Subaru cared for her because of the things he went through for the village kids in Arc 2. Then he followed it up by hiring Elsa to kill everyone at the mansion. He just didn't expect Subaru to fall in love with Rem.

Roswaal's whole plan was to make Subaru attached to all sorts of people, then make him realize he can only protect the one he cares about the most, Emilia. He didn't expect him to develop feelings for Rem that rivalled the ones he already had for Emilia. And that's one of the main reasons he just can't give up on the people in the mansion.

>>Roswaal kept attacking Rem's low self-esteem to make her feel even more worthless and inferior.
Well, he did it very subtly. It's more that he made a few suggestions and reworded her ideas in a few subtle ways. If I recall correctly, "Roswaal admonished her to her way of life in the role of 'Ram's substitute"' might be a vague paraphrase of how Rem later thought of it.

Well that's basically what I meant. Loving Rem on the same, or higher, level as Emilia is something Roswaal did not take into account. Because he assumed that Subaru would become completely devoted to his "one" true love.

Or "admonished by" Roswaal, now that I look at it again. In the form that might closer translate as "counseled by". I really don't think the translation dictionary translates the word clearly. "Advise" and "warn" are translated from the same word, which makes sense in a way.

Basic idea is that Roswaal was the one who guided her in her way of life as Ram's substitute, and the one who first suggested that's what she wanted to be.

Wouldn't all the Roswaal manipulation mean that Rem's love for Subaru in a sense is all fabricated? As Roswaal helped develop her insecurities for Subaru to cure?

She had low self esteem and was insecure even before they met Roswaal. He just made sure that Rem didn't develop on her own.

That's basically how I see it. He stunted her growth by guiding her to a path where she'd always be comparing herself to how her sister used to be.

Hmm. I don't think so. I don't see much point to it desu. I'm pretty sure Roswaal just picked up Rem and Ram cause the Gospel said to do so, and basically just kept them around to be used by him. Honestly, I think he left Rem to die by gluttony and assumed he was done with her.

Roswaal had to make sure that Rem stays at Ram's side at any cost since he needs Ram for his plans. If Rem left at some point, Ram might have left as well.

In a sense he did. Which makes everything all the more fucked up. Subaru and Rem's relationship just got more complex and not as cookie cutter straight as it was made out to be.

I really wonder how both of them are doing to deal with it if this is something they were to find out about.

>I really wonder how both of them are doing to deal with it if this is something they were to find out about.
I doubt they would care that much.

Ram loves the clown too much to leave like that.
Welp. "Instructed/advised" seems to be how its translated in most example sentences I saw, mostly bible quotes for some reason, so the translation dictionary clearly doesn't properly convey the meaning.

>Honestly, I think he left Rem to die by gluttony and assumed he was done with her.
Out of curiosity, how much does Roswaal know about Gluttony authority? I mean, he's been around for more than 400 years and even owned a gospel so he should know one or two things about how Gluttony could erase people from existence, right? If so then I guess the reason why Roswaal was okay with letting Rem love Subaru was that he thought Rem would get nom'd soon and Subaru would forget her anyway. But unfortunately for Roswaal, Subaru still remembered Rem and Roswaal's plans were ruined because of it.

>Ram loves the clown too much to leave like that.
Sure, now. But back when they started to work as maids she didn't like him.

I think people overthink when it comes to Roswaal's plans. He just does what the gospel tells him to for centuries and has probably already forgotten how to act on his own accord.

Subaru died and failed multiple timelines and Roswaal didn't even try to prevent it.

True enough.

Anyhow, should we discuss the translated chapter properly now? You now all get to see tongue-clicking explosions firsthand. I'm actually wondering what sort of shit Setanta was trying to plan with Rom.

Roswaal was counting on Rem being a romance-hungry virgin.
Roswaal wasn't counting on Subaru being a two-timing greedy slut of a man.

Did the cultists attack the village the day after Rom visited them? It seems a bit coincidental.

Beako is a miracle of the universe.

Roswaal counted on Subaru to be Emilia's slave like he's is Echidna's slave. Nothing more.

The gospel can NOT forsee what Subaru will do.

Nah, there were more days in between.

It's more like he crafted the girl's psyche, as if parents were insidious enough to craft their children's personality by B.F. Skinner Behaviourist means. He knew she would fall in love with such a kind guy as Subaru is.
He didn't count on Subaru falling in love with her in return.

I doubt the gospel would go as far as to describe Subaru's personality, even supposing that it told him to pick up Rem and make her feel like shit

>He knew she would fall in love with such a kind guy as Subaru is.
That implies that Roswaal knew how Subaru would act once he came to the mansion.

The Gospel didn't even tell Roswaal about Subaru until well after recruiting Emilia.
He still thought his Gospel was leading him to kill the Dragon at that point.

Then I don't think the "fabricated romance" hypothesis holds water. It'd need to be very specific, as you say.

Yes, that theory doesn't make much sense. However, the gospel can't tell how Subaru will develop and how he will act, so how was it able to tell that Subaru would fall for Emilia in first place? If Subaru was a dick he could've just let Emilia die in the first arc and Roswaal's plan would have failed but the gospel assumed that bringing them together would lead to Subaru falling for Emilia.

Some Satella witchery maybe?

It's more like an ambiguous thing. Like Pete's gospel saying "be there, do this."
As long as he follows the instructions he believes the end result will be his waifu reviving.

>However, the gospel can't tell how Subaru will develop and how he will act,
Pretty sure it can, I've got two ideas as to why it went wrong:
• Subaru becoming aware of the Gospel let him take actions to spite it
• The Gosepl was never leading Roswaal to his dream, it's purpose was fulfilled once Echidna made her offer

>Pretty sure it can, I've got two ideas as to why it went wrong:
If it could then Subaru wouldn't fail so often. Roswaal could set up everything in a way where Subaru would always succeed at first try.

Roswaal's (Breatrice's too, not that hers ever says anything) Gospel isn't ambiguous in the slightest.
It's very clear on what's going to happen and what to watch out for, but not clear on what needs doing and what will happen on its own.
>As long as he follows the instructions he believes the end result will be his waifu reviving.
He spent 400 years thinking the end result would be revenge-killing the Dragon, "save your waifu" became his goal shortly before meeting Subaru.

The Gospel only predicts the "correct" path.
There's some subtext implying that parallel universes aren't a thing, but w/e.

Also of note, instructions to effect of "temper Subaru with hardships" were the root causes of Arcs 1-3.

Do we know who made the gospel?

Echidna.

Roswaal and Beatrice's was Echidna
The witch cult ones are some unknown figure who seemingly cribbed the design from Echidna's gospels

inb4 Roswaal's gospel told him to make imperfect gospels

So Rom is a giant? Does that mean there are other big name demi-humans who survived the war also?

If so who?

Every thread until Crusch-sama gets her memories back.

So are demons basically the Japanese in the Re:Zero universe?

Is Ram irredeemable for letting Roswaal use and abuse her sister.

Ram is a good nee-sama. Blame Roswaal for making her bad.

There were only three big name demi-humans:
• Rom (alive)
• Some lizard guy (killed by Sphinx)
• Sphinx (oldest Lewes clone, failed attempt to transfer Echidna's memories, killed (by Wilhelm ?))

Nah, you're thinking of the entire country of Kararagi.

Nah nee-sama is shit now.

>—But if someone asked her if Rem occupied the highest pedestal in her heart, Ram could not simply nod and agree.

Almost makes me want the Gluttony Archbishop to eat her name so that she would forget the BCC altogether.

I mean her memories.

Well, that wouldn't be that bad if Roswaal wasn't such a manipulative bitch. We still don't know why she's into that clown.

What happened to TL user? His last update was a week ago.

Exams maybe?

He's getting buttfucked by exams.

Ram throwing her sister under the bus for an abusive relationship is a new low

youtube.com/watch?v=jV9iloNEpPU&t=356s
So is Betelgeuse supposed to be scary and unsettling/unnerving/creepy because he looks and acts like a generic cartoon character in a series where everybody acts super seriously?
'Cause that nigga's not scary at all. He's just funny.

The guy loves love

I think he's supposed to be bordering on funny due to how far gone he is.

You get some explanation as to why he is so crazy in arc 4. And funnily enough, he's the least troublesome of the archbishops based on their character.

After Crusch-sama gets her memories back, she will start to see herself truly as a woman again, which will lead to Ferri stopping his cross-dressing and getting manlier.

THis makes me think about another (possibly related) hypothesis. There is the possibility someone foresaw Rem and Subaru meeting and their relationship and wanted to prevent it becuase it goes against their plans. Thus many incidents could be seen with Rem as the actual intended target.

Possibly the extermination of the onis

Meili was hired by someone in Arc 2 but it's never been stated who the client was and the intended target, but we also know that when subaru stayed isolated it was Rem who died

Also Al reaction is interesting, maybe he was the one who hired meili.

Now that Rem is erased these "conspirators" certainly aren't active because they do not know their target exist. Moreover it's even possible they engineered the encounter with gluttony not expecting that Subaru would remember her

That's very interesting. It actually makes sense too. Rem has been targeted so many times, it's also possible the witch was trying to kill them. Maybe it's because they're trying to stop Rem from stealing Toyota's heart,

>In front, directly ahead of Subaru’s mind, someone stood.
>The shadow grew vertically. Before he knew it, a human silhouette stood before Subaru.
>He couldn’t see its face. The shape was indistinct. But he vaguely thought that it had the shape of a woman.
>The shadow wavered and slowly reached out a hand.
>For some reason, when her fingers gently grazed his mind, Subaru wanted to weep. The wave of strange emotion washing over him suggested that he had always been waiting for her to do so.
>He had an instinctive desire for the wriggling shadow to embrace him, to swallow him whole—and then it stopped. Something had stopped it.
>Subaru’s mind realized that there was another shadow, its white fingers embracing him from behind.
>Her touch felt soft, and not just warm but hot.
>The instant Subaru felt that heat, the shadow before him rapidly faded away.
>He faced his front. His heart trembled. He shouted ferociously. But the world of nothingness had no sound.
>He was left behind as the shadow became distant, fading, fading away.
>Finally, the shadow serenely stretched her fingers out toward Subaru, who was nearly in tears.
>“—ve you.”
>Even the words he could not hear faded, and the world fell apart.
>It was like that hand had rescued Subaru from a bad dream, as if he were a little kid. No doubt someone had held Rem’s hand on some night when she seemed about to cry. Subaru couldn’t help but be happy, even giddy, that she had done the same for him.
>With no reason to let go, their hands remained together. Subaru kept soaking up the warmth as he inclined his head.
What does it all mean? Because the implication seems to be that the second shadow represents Rem, somehow holding him back from embracing and being swallowed up by Envy/Satella.

betelgeuse is not generic and he was only in the anime Le random cartoon chracters

rom was always a giant tho, can't remember if this was stated in arc1 but in arc 3 in the novel they hinted his real name

Are the first two translated somewhere?
If not, which is better the manga or the anime?

See

Another thing I've noticed.
>Rem was the younger twin sister. As her older sister, Ram was painfully aware of her younger sister’s state of mind. Put another way, she knew all too well that it was not in Rem’s nature to be honest with herself.
"not in Rem’s nature to be honest with herself." is an odd things to say, being how she's so obviously in love with Subaru and clearly knows it in later chapters. The only time this would be noticeable as true would have to take place before, and shortly after, the whole dog incident. Throughout the third LN, Rem is showing clear signs of an emotion towards Subaru. Something which absolutely isn't hatred. When she seems him trying his hardest, it reminds her of someone and gives her pain in her heart. When she sees him sleeping in Emilia's lap, she definitely thinks he's pretty fucking cute.

After that point, she has a more positive attitude towards him. Yet the scenes from Subaru's perspective don't reflect that. Instead, they go into how Rem seems a bit miffed by how close he seems with Ram. Now, the obvious explanation is the one Subaru came up with. She doesn't want anyone taking her sister away.

Then there's the alternative explanation, if she's really the sort who has trouble approaching people and isn't honest with herself. Rem's annoyed with Subaru because he's not paying more attention to her, even if she doesn't understand this.
The manga includes some more details and changes less stuff. It still doesn't include everything.

Deep lore!

So you're telling me that link isn't to fan fiction on the style of Lemony Snicket?

Yeah. I'm wondering if anything more like that ever turns up. Other than Satella pissing him off by calling him "Subaru-kun".

so if Rem is subaru stando

what power does he get

youtube.com/watch?v=aHwnFARzEp8

What I liked about that scene wad Subaru saying there was only one person he'd let call him that. Implying Rem.

Well, one girl. Roswaal also calls him that. Still, that man can go fuck himself.

Anyhow, I'm hoping the tower springs some weird shit involving Rem on him at some point. They'll probably have to get past Reid first for any of that.