Why is Japanese comedy so painfully unfunny?

Why is Japanese comedy so painfully unfunny?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jvb9wnwFmqw
youtube.com/watch?v=Xiqwkx4oujo
youtube.com/watch?v=jY2O2F_-odQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gVEDnyDMHHQ&t=316s
youtube.com/watch?v=CmdfKaB4qf4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you aren't Japanese

They don't understand sarcasm. Not even kidding.

because youre a close-minded piece of shit murricunt

>arakawa under the bridge
>danshi kokosei no nichijou
>sakamoto desu ga
Checkmate

I ask myself why I even watch anime sometimes because I totally agree. Japanese people have the weirdest sense of humor, I never really laugh. But they sure are good at being dramatic

Yeah Rakugo just isn't funny at all in the anime, maybe it's different irl or a cultural thing.

Have you seen american stand up comedians?
How in the world people found those guys funny? I just dont get it

>American comedy

>evening everyone, so TRUMP... *recorded laughter*

because you're not watching Azumanga or nichibros.

>using fucking archaic old-people-stage-comedy as your example

>watching rakugo for the funnies

Japan is a very conservative country.

American """""comedy""""" is infantile and cringey, that I can agree with.

>expecting good comedy in a fujoshit show

Rakugo requires cultural understanding. Rakugo is also an older style of comedy, which draws on historical culture and stories. Most Japanese don't even find rakugo funny. You need to have some background, study and experience in Japanese culture before being able to understand Rakugo.

I'm South African and my favourite comedians are Leon Schuster and Trevor Noah. I've shown their material to my Australian friends and they don't get it at all, because they haven't lived in South Africa.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jvb9wnwFmqw

youtube.com/watch?v=Xiqwkx4oujo

I also enjoy playing Europa Universalis 4 and watch the meme videos online. I find them funny because I get the situations, but anyone who hasn't played EU4 won't get it.

youtube.com/watch?v=jY2O2F_-odQ

Rakugo is a meme. Japanese comedy is a meme. You won't get it if you don't understand the culture.

Sukeroku was a terrible person and the worst friend.

I thought Sabagebu was pretty funny

Sukeroku qlo!!
Kikukiho didnt deserve that scum as a friend

PINING FOR THE FJORDS?

A country with a taboo about speaking about everyday problems, and an unwillingness to have public discussion on things like suicide or about how shit your old boss was, guts what we in the west know as comedy.

>Trevor Noah
It's not too late to end your life. There's no shame in it.

>discover that most of the comedy anime I like are written by women
Do i have shit taste or am I on to something here?

You're watching unfunny shows. They exist in your own culture as well. Japan has more than just Osakan stand up. In my opinion, the comedy Japan does best is subtle observational humor and parody.

maybe gender doesn't really matter

It almost like Kumeta Kouji doesn't exist.

Exactly the reaction I was talking about.

Non-south african's just don't get the humour, because they haven't experienced SA first hand. It's only funny if you understand it.

Sir, you do realize this is a cheese shop? We have...

You want suicide jokes?

just because he's on daily show and unfunny doesn't mean his solo stand-up comedy is bad. i watched his netflix special and enjoyed it, he barely mentioned trump. god you Sup Forumstards get triggered so easy.

I know you just found Todd Glass and all, but there is humor in everything and I think japs don't feel the same.

I think jas are pretty good at slapstick.
Or maybe slapstick is so easy that it's hard to get wrong.

>Japs aren't good at comedy
>Endless Eight exists

Stop getting your comedy from cartoons made for children and literal autistics living in japan maybe?

That's like asking why MLP or modern simpsons or make-up barbie show number 4052 isn't funny. Newsflash: You aren't the target audience.

Why are you even on here?

>Or maybe slapstick is so easy that it's hard to get wrong.
Yet Family Guy, American Dad, Robot Chicken and countless other shows do. Slapstick is actually tricky because it requires a setup and punch line without spoken dialogue. Most slapstick doesn't get a setup or punch line however and is just someone getting hurt. Which is funny the first time, then just stupid every time after that.

A pie in the face? That's mildly funny. A guy getting pied in the face, disembowled, dragged across a room by hooks, cut in half, thrown into a ringer then thrown in a toilet? A joke that never knew when to start or end.

I am going to generalize here, but Japanese female humour is a lot more "international". It's often based on silly faces and absurd situations in a otherwise serious settings, something everyone can enjoy. On the other hand male humour is a lot more Japanese: it's about manzai, something a lot of people here can't get, it's about violence on men, which gets tiring after a while, references.

This is about anime though. I'd say that Sup Forums should try to watch some genuine jap comedian and comedy movies, but I know a lot of westerners don't like Japanese acting.

But I see sarcasm in nico comments all the time. Maybe it's a relatively recent development, though

I was just trying to make clear that he obviously isn't going to find funny things that aren't catered to him.

I've seen quite a few japanese films that pulled comedy off quite well, and that goes for many other foreign films. I'm not stupid enough to watch 'Daily Middle School Life of Cute-Girl-Chan Who Likes Egg Pudding And Battles Evil Egg Pudding Men' or whatever the fuck (which is obviously catered to a younger audience) and complaining that I don't find the humor funny.

Is this something which is really hard to comprehend or think about or make you ponder or fire your neurons?

Nice try but it's a lot more than just polacks who think he is unfunny. His plummeting ratings is proof of that.

>you get triggered so easy.
Ironing

Because you're either watching shit shows or you're genuinely autistic.

britain humor the best

I am not even britain and I consume mainly japanese media

Fuck off it has nothing to do with being south african. He commentates on American politics, and isn't very good or funny about it. You can only do the same DUDE REPLICANS for so long

It's funny if you speak jap.

The best comedy anime is Fumoffu.

Nichibrofags are kidding themselves.

Are we talking about comedy anime now?

Because the sense of what's fun differs from one culture to another.

Because Manzai comedy is probably on par with puns. Hell, puns are at least creative by design while Manzai relies on repetition and familiarity. Also, cultural differences and I assume something gets lost in the translation.

They get it some times.

Maybe they do, but terrible shows arent an example of them getting it

THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR LEAVING IT TO YOTARO!

how can you say such a thing when Bobobo exists?

What's it like going through life and being wrong at every waking second?

I think they do surreal/absurd comedy well.

>evening everyone, so Justin Bieb...

Yoriko a best

English humour > Japanese humour > Russian humour > American "humour'

Australian humor > *

British humor is usually the exact opposite of good. There's just a few notable exceptions. Try watching something beyond Monty Python and Are You Being Served. Most of their comedy shows are so dry, you don't even realize it's suppose to be funny.

As a side note, Working feels like a dry British workplace comedy. But the Japanese reaction shots and extreme characters make it actually work.

>Australian
British prisoner humour still counts as british humour.

>"Wouldn't it be great if the cure for cancer was Michael Jackson sucking your dick?"
This is suppose to be funny? Eh, I guess it's better than 2 hours of 'damn whiteys!' black humor.

>Being this pleb

American?

>black comedians make a living bitching about white people
>the majority of their fans are white
>black people prefer Family Guy and King of the Hill
What a world.

It's "progressive" to like shitty humor if it comes from "minorities" (which aren't an actual minority in most cases).

Fuck yeah, it's hilarious.
Watch some Carlin.
youtube.com/watch?v=gVEDnyDMHHQ&t=316s

>greentext
>American boogeyman response
Let me guess. European?

......How is that relevant to what he posted at all?

>Inventors of the laugh-track
>Berating anyone elses comedy

Billy-Bob, plz

Here is a comedy

>mfw I like Eddie Izzard

Not because he dresses funny or is British, but because he actually talks about things like history, economics and world events. It's just refreshing to see a comedian sometimes who can make a joke about something besides sex, cuss words and racism.

>black people prefer Family Guy and King of the Hill
I've never met a black person that liked King of the Hill. To be honest I've never really met anyone that liked King of the Hill.
Anyway most of your post is pretty wrong,most black people would pick the Boondocks or Dave Chappelle over either of those shows any day for sure.

>Inventors of the laugh-track
Are you implying European shows don't use the laugh track? But sure. Americans also invented TV so by your logic, they're at fault for every shitty show your country makes.

George Carlin

you haven't watched SZS yet

Posted some of him.

>"it's me, it's me "
>"hey is this one of those scams"
>"no it's the same fucking joke in every anime"

They would probably be a lot funnier if they didn't feel the need to have a guy shout out and explain the whole gag as it happens.

Nigga what, they do a swell job.
If it wasn't obvious already, you don't pick up Showagain for the comedy.

I don't give a shit about the rest of Europe, I was implying that the average american can't understand deadpan, dry or low-key humour.

QI is funny as shit and fuck anyone who disagrees.

Name a single European show with a laugh track.

Sasuga Sakamoto.

Heavy use of language nuances.

>the average american can't understand deadpan, dry or low-key humour.
Wasn't The Office the most popular comedy show in America at one point? Does that not fit that criteria?

But Gaki no Tsukai is hilarious

youtube.com/watch?v=CmdfKaB4qf4

>b-but that's not a laugh track! It's a real audience
American sitcoms use real audiences as well. As much as people hate The Big Bang Theory, it has a live audience. The laugh track was mostly phased out in the 70s.

As a side note, this show reuses a fuck ton of American jokes.

White pig go home

>I don't give a shit about the rest of Europe, I was implying that the average american can't understand deadpan, dry or low-key humour.
You didn't imply anything of the sort. You just claimed someone else was American and then complained about laugh tracks, which I doubt you can come up with a show that uses one in the last 15 years.

Credit where it's due most american sitcoms taped in front of live audiences don't use their "in moment" laughs (unless they're really good).

Generally you do multiple takes for scenes, either because someone flubs a line, the director has notes, or they want different angles/close ups (for single came mostly)

What happens is they have a comedian come out before the taping, he pumps up the crowd and tells jokes, they record the set and use it for the "laugh track"

>The laugh track was mostly phased out in the 70s.
Haha tell that to disney channel.

That was an old method. Used on shows like Home Improvement or Full House which had multiple sets (and wasn't very funny). But is not used much anymore. As amazing as it may seem, the laughter you are hearing on The Big Bang Theory is not canned. It is the actual laugh at the time. Though you kind of got it right that they will usually use the laugh the first time the joke is done. Since after 23 retakes, the audience won't laugh or clap again. They then edit in the audiences first reaction. You can all this 'cheating' if you want, but I assure you all your British sitcoms do the same thing.

Well you got me there. But Disney Channel shows are bad on so many levels, we really shouldn't even count them as TV.

And fucking Nickelodeon is trying their hardest to out stupid the Disney Channel.

A lot of their humour is based on word play and it's lost in translation for me.

They are good at slapstick and absurdist humour.

>joke is based on a Chinese Kanji that has an alternate meaning in Japanese and sounds slightly like an English word
>the joke is the Katakana version is part of a well known Japanese tongue twister

Is there anything in anime as cancerous and unfunny as bokke/tsukkomi "humor"?

Can you brits post anywhere without being self-aggrandizing cunts?

Humor is situational. I found myself laughing at stuff on Sup Forums more than anything mainstream.

Sorry m8, I's just havin' a larf.

>there's so many things I don't even know where to start tsukkomi'ing

Cromartie High School exists