Space Dandy

Just finished Space Dandy for the first time and thought it was great. The only problem for me were the last 2 episodes, they were unnecessary. The plant episode is the best though.

Other urls found in this thread:

downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/space-dandy-ost2-boobies-wonderland/1.17-napoleon-bishop.mp3
youtube.com/watch?v=jjaELKsl2eU
soundcloud.com/buizel-wolf/space-dandy-music-ep-5-i-want
soundcloud.com/bryanrinaldo/x-jigen-e-youkoso-etsuko#t=0:15
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Limbo episode was the best one.

The comfy episode was the best one.

The last 2 episodes were good, the problem was shit like the Cloudian one, or a bunch of forgettable ones in S1.

I re-watched the Limbo episode so many god damn times, it's so good.

Is SD too good for this generation of anime watchers?

There are tons of anime shows that plenty of anime watchers will not understand or appreciate the way it needs to be to be enjoyable.
SD is just another one of those great shows.

But fuck those autists, SD was pretty popular still.

The episode about the talking fish was great animation wise but pretty boring
Obviously

The best part about the plant episode was the ending when Dandy couldn't bring himself to do anything but lay there and think about what had happened.

Many episodes fit that description, like the pants vs vests and the river of time ones.

Space Dandy>Cowboy Bebop

Didn't get the ending of this episode, was he still dead?

A version of him was.

The dog episode was kind of weird. It had a great first half with a great ending but the second half was completely different and shit.

Yeah that was just bizarre, in a bad way.

almost all episodes are pretty comfy, really any time they are on ship.

the little episode within an episode about the space dog had me fucked up for days.

I allwqys go back and watch the space race epsiode every few months since then. That ending is so great.

Post Honey

Why this song was not released in the OST?

The rockband episode also was pretty funny animation with that ones was also pretty good.

Probably the funniest episode, and really stylish with all the eyecatches.

Easily. I also really liked the dance contest episode. Season 2 was definitely the better of the two.

I really need to rewatch them

Space Dandy is absolutely brilliant.

That's a great ep. One of the best, in fact. But is it as good as the one where Meow and the secretary get drunk round the Cloudian's house?
Or the one where QT falls in the love with the coffee machine?
Or the one with the fishing planet?
Or the one with the the little girl who can put people's souls into a toy penguin?

I noticed that a lot of episodes share a motif of a river/water going upwards through the atmosphere. Its quite a smart way of foreshadowing the interconnections between different worlds that Dandy has access to

I loved all the episodes, but limbo was eoty.
How about we post our favorite songs? Unfortunately the ost is still not on youtube for some reason so I have to link this site.
downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/space-dandy-ost2-boobies-wonderland/1.17-napoleon-bishop.mp3

The Cloudian episode is great, suck my dick

I also love the episode with the mechanical planet with the astronaut dog and the freezer from Bebop

QT's english dub voice is so good

> Space Dandy>Cowboy Bebop
in the trash you go

Watched both for the first time recently

Cowboy Bebop is good but some episodes are boring shite trying to be like a live-action action movie
Space Dandy knows it's a cartoon and embraces it 100%

Like only half of the episodes from Cowboy Bebop are interesting. The rest might are easily boring. That chink girl with her fortune wheel made me fall asleep.

While Dandy's humour and aesthetic always save the situation.

>cartoon

You just love being in the trash

>the song was actually really good

LONELY NIGHTS

doesn't address my argument but if you genuinely get mad over people calling moving drawings "cartoons" then you're a fag

Literally the 2 worst episodes.
The cloudian episode is painfully unfunny and annoying, and the other one ruins the emotional climax of the dog's death with the unnecessary and retarded gags of the two fleas.

#
Literally the 2 worst episodes.
The cloudian episode is painfully unfunny and annoying (haha laugh track), and the other one ruins the emotional climax of the dog's death with the unnecessary and retarded gags of the two fleas.

baka
The Cloudian episode is lovely. I love the image of Meow and the secretary drunk on the carpet. It's a great way of presenting her character as a lonely broad who sits at home and drinks wine with her cat.
I love the image with the little rain cloud at the end with the music in the background.
I also find the whole concept of these tiny flea people operating this massive mechanical planet really cool. The dog's death wasn't really intended as an emotional climax and they're tied thematically

Guess it's time to finally pick it up. The threads were shitty while it was airing, but they've finally gotten bearable.

Not him, but for god's sake.
Cartoon most often refers to animation that is aimed at children. The Bulgarian language has a direct analogue to that - "Детски", which is originally an adjective that means "childrens' ", but it's also used as a noun to refer to cartoons.
Not every piece of animation is a cartoon, mind you. I'm not even speaking about anime right now, to be honest. You people won't let your meaning of "animation" move. It's like somebody said ages ago that everything animated is for children ages ago and you treat it like truth.

are political cartoons "for children" because you associate the phrase "cartoon" with children's entertainment?
no

a cartoon is a relatively simplistic drawing using unrealistic caricatures for effect
they came to be identified with animations, tom and jerry and the like, which were still often admired by adults because they were funny
there's no shame in the phrase

The issue only exists in english honestly.
In japaness, everything is anime, in french everything is "dessin animé"...
I don't see an issue with calling an anime "cartoon".

I consider this a thing made by weaboo who refuse to classify the hobby they like as the same thing as other.

It's not. Animation is animation. A cartoon is a type of animation. Calling just any animation a cartoon, even if it's not actually a cartoon doesn't make any sense.

Anime is not some word for a new genre, it's literally "animation" in the japanese language. Cartoon is an awful word, and you should stop using it. Just call animated things animations.

jesus christ stop being so pretentious. is the cat concerto any less of a work of art because it's a cartoon? is fantasia? the answer is a big fat fucking no

You could rewatch Space Dandy over and over and still forget some golden episodes. That's what makes it great.

Mu favorite episode is the one with the date with Scarlet.
Also the one with the penguin loli is a good one.

You're misreading things. I did not say that cartoons are shit, but that you should stop using that word to refer to just any piece of animation. It's as dumb as calling any old book a novel.

Also, where do you think you are?

explain the difference. please explain how space dandy isn't a cartoon

I still don't know if I liked the dub or sub more
They both were really good

It actually kinda is, by the terms you (or that other user) described.
>a relatively simplistic drawing using unrealistic caricatures for effect
It's not as visually simple as western animation, but it has taken some of the visual flair from it. It's a half-breed of sorts. Really, it was aimed at the west more than at the east, so it had to be in a (nostalgic?) style similar to the one you grew up with.

Just don't call just any animation out there a "cartoon" unless you can justify it (like you or that guy did), please.

This is one of my favorite scenes in all of anime

maybe "simple" isn't the right phrase. for example there are political cartoons that are laboriously drawn, and of course a lot of anime as well. Its more a sense of caricature that makes a cartoon a cartoon

give me an example of an "animation" as opposed to a cartoon

dub or sub?

I just love dub QT too much

Sort of. It's an experimental mixed bag. The only reason it's seen as entry level is because they made a big deal about the dub airing simultaneously. It's otherwise not that accessible for scrubs. When I ask people with lower power levels about the show, they say they love it but it always seems to be for reasons unrelated to the artistic direction or varied genre shifts. Not many episodes are sidebusters, but they act like that's all the show was.

That song only exists for that scene from what I've gathered. There's no more song after it. Bummed me out at first but then it made me appreciate the scene even more.

Dub
I can't even imagine what Dandy would sound like in sub his character is too american

Old soviet animation, for example.
>Ёжик в тумане
>Сказка сказок

Ну, погоди! is a cartoon; I really don't have to explain why.
Anime can be indeed cartoonish at times, but it can also be very cinematic - it all depends on the director. Imaishi, for example, favours a punchy, cartoonish style, but you can't notice that in Nakamura or Nagahama's work.

The dub is one of the best dubs ever, but it's still a dub. I prefer the original Japanese audio, but unlike most English dubs you don't lose out on the experience with it. Most notable is Honey, who is a character most dubs would completely botch, but her voice actress nailed it. Too bad she sucked as Hana in Prison School.

Also is literally the best comedic delivery I've ever heard from an English dub.

Dub, they released it first for a reason.

I don't see how both of those aren't cartoons. yeah they're detailed and they don't use typical broad line drawings but they're clearly very exaggerated in style

akira is very "cinematic" but it's still a cartoon

In this thread, people who watched space dandy on its initial broadcast are pretending to be new watchers who never saw space dandy.

It is a dumb thing to do.

Eh, if you think so.. They may be slightly exaggerated (that's a staple in animation, you gotta compensate - subtle movements are time-wasting to animated, they're expensive, and they might even not be understood), but they're clearly something else. One wouldn't put them in the same realm as the Gargoyles or the X-Men cartoon.

I did not mention Akira at all, you're putting words in my mouth. I mentioned Nakamura (best known for directing Lain) and Nagahama (best known for Mushishi). Their works are more laid back and have very few, if any, comedic moments and exaggerations.

死にたい

>You're not the greatest, cause I am the greatest.
>No we're both great,ok. WOOOOW

/our guy/

I still remember when Sup Forumsnons thought Space Dandy airing on Toonami a few hours before the Japanese airing would bring in a flood of casual newfags who would irredeemably destroy this board forever for all eternity.

Good times.

best girl coming through

I agree, I really don't care for the last two episodes. Space Dandy had a really good thing going with the anthology format, it didn't need this plot-heavy finish. The "Universal reincarnation" bit was just insult to injury.

I remember many anons attempting to destroy this anime because they expected BEBOP 2.0

If the series ended with this episode......it would be fucking amazing

It wouldn't irredemably destroy the board, but it had plenty of newfags coming in to the show regardless so they were half right

One of the funniest character of all time

Can't wait to rewatch this

So, at what point does Space Dandy go from being okay to great? Because I loved the fuck out of it but I got my friend to watch the first 2 or 3 episodes and they didn't think it was all that special.

Fish episode was the best one pls. Yuasa a god

Is the whole thing episodic? I tried like the first two episodes and I remember being frustrated at both the lack of progress and the main character's stupidity. If a show depends on idiocy to progress its plot it's shit. Only Johnny Bravo has ever pulled it off.

Not at all, most episodes have their own plot, it even pulls the "all characters die at the end of an episode but next episode they're fine" thing. Honestly there's little to no plot, but it can get serious and pull it off fairly well.

Not him but that's what episodic means user

Best episode right here.

I'm normally all about sub but this show was fucking made to be dubbed. Cowboy Bebop's dub for instance is good enough to stand on its own but I can't imagine even wanting to watch Dandy in Japanese outside of a curiosity.

Is this cat a meme? Swear I saw it posted on /vg/ yesterday.

If your friend wasn't captured by the idea of alien ramen or a zombie society, I don't know how they could enjoy the rest of the show. It's a pretty solid sci-fi anthology.

Considering this is a photo of my own cat I don't think so, but it could just be a similar looking cat. I mean, he is cute

fug I'm stupid I didn't even notice that he mentioned it sorry

Heck yes

Wish we got more of pic related. Space Dandy is a real 10/10 though

Patrician taste

>That song
youtube.com/watch?v=jjaELKsl2eU

I'm rewatching Space Dandy. I'm just amazed, it's refreshing, the visuals are beautiful and the music is on point. I didn't appreciate it that much when I first watched it, but I guess the lack of good anime lately really made me to.

Also this one

soundcloud.com/buizel-wolf/space-dandy-music-ep-5-i-want

Why couldn't this have been the series?

I would have even been fine when they fuck in the end

Downloaded this song onto my phone, god tier late night driving song

the opening is so great
it always cheered me up during tough times

That episode was my favourite because it felt so much like a Cowboy Bebop episode.

Wallpaper version I have.

The biggest problem with the dub is the fact that it got rid of the god tier ending.
soundcloud.com/bryanrinaldo/x-jigen-e-youkoso-etsuko#t=0:15

> NAMI DA! NAMI DA

I'm really happy [as] caved and switched to the original OP.

Well half of it is Pavane pour one infante défunte by Maurice Ravel

Best girl coming thru

P U F F Y
U
F
F
Y