Pol's reading prefrence

alright Sup Forums help me understand. Why is J.R.R Tolken's Lord of the rings book series so popular on this board? I've seen plenty of people reference his works and very few consider George R.R Martin as an equal. What do you guys think? Can you even compare the two, or is Martin just pandering to SJW's and muh strong females

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PbLKjO2ImGo
youtube.com/watch?v=e7BkmF8CJpQ
youtube.com/watch?v=vuSP7UyMpYg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fantasy is based on medieval Europe

JRR Tolkien was a professor who studied European myth and spent most of his life writing one. His writing was deeply informed by his religion, his sense of spirituality, and his experiences of WWI. George R. R. Martin is a fantasy author.

the story of lotr is literally white ppl btfo the rest of the continent whats not to like

Martin is a gross, overweight, basement dwelling faglord, and GoT is the most dull-witted piece of entertainment ever contrived for the pig slop eating masses.

Lord of the Rings is so boring and philosophical. It touches on fairy tales (aka Christianity) too much. I prefer Harry Potter.

Between Harry Potter and LOTR, which one is good enough to have a theme park at Universal, huh?

Bro I know, every time he talks I just wanna punch his unenthusiastic face. That being said, ive started reading his books and they're pretty entertaining.

The first three books from ASOIAF are nothing like what the show started out as. Later it gets a bit worse with the whole strong empowered woman thing in books 4 and 5, but even then you can tell that the females are fucking everything up. I've only seen clips and comparisons of the show to the books, but frankly, he wasn't even trying to pander until the show came out and some exec told him the cash he could make from it. It's garbage now, but the first three books had some actual character arcs and depth.

You can tell GOT sucks ass because there are so many sex scenes. Relying on the most basic instinct for entertainment is a sign it's low brow slop for the piggies.

People on this website are fucking dorks

I tried reading War and Peace, I ended up just watching the movie instead. Books are overrated.

>Boring and philosophical
This guy is a pleb.
>Fairy tales (aka Christianity)
tips fedora

This makes sense

Cool story fag. Enjoy the shitstorm

Shut up nerd.

lmao

Tolkien and Martin are not comparable. Take this from a guy who's read all of the A Song of Fire and Ice books and last month I read the entire LOTR including The Hobbit.

Tolkien
>high fantasy
>reads more like the Iliad

Martin
>medieval themed soap opera
>mild fantasy elements

Pic related was a post card Tolkien owned that was his inspiration for Gandalf.

>I prefer Harry Potter.

>I prefer getting gagged by mudblood cock

ftfy

wtf is this. amazon is scaring me.

Swords and castles and race wars

thank you

Tom Bombadillfamalamadilio

>I sit beside the fire and think
>of all that I have seen
>of meadow-flowers and butterflies
>in summers that have been;

>Of yellow leaves and gossamer
>in autumns that there were,
>with morning mist and silver sun
>and wind upon my hair.

>of how the world will be
>when winter comes without a spring
>that I shall ever see.

>For still there are so many things
>that I have never seen:
>in every wood in every spring
>there is a different green.

>of people long ago
>and people who will see a world
>that I shall never know.

>But all the while I sit and think
>of times there were before,
>I listen for returning feet
>and voices at the door.

Nonwhite brainlets won't understand this

Anything that's not the Bible or scientific texts is fruitless. Novels are distractions and wastes of valuable time.

So the writings of Luther were fruitless?

Checkmate.

Biblical essays & studies that are derivative of the Bible are fine to examine.
Post amended*

>He doesn't read biochemistry & genetics textbooks for leisure
pffffttt

LotR is fucking trash.
Tried to read Fellowship a few times. Can't get past the half way point.
It's way too dry.
Hobbit was good though.

What was Aragorn’s tax policy?

>You can tell GOT sucks ass because there are so many sex scenes. Relying on the most basic instinct for entertainment is a sign it's low brow slop for the piggies.
To be fair, Tolkien put a lot of sex scenes in his early drafts, but you have to read all of History of Middle-earth to see them. He put Turin fucking Nienor into alliterative verse.

10/10 shitposting, you're granted honorary Canadian status, congrats

Pozbutton has a good explanation: Tolkien's work was a crafted epic and thus grants catharsis, GRRM's work is an anti epic that while if clever can make a great short story or a single novel however is dragging it lard and shit encrusted ass towards a dissatisfying ending when an unlikable character gets the crown, as all the honorable and relatable characters were killed off to be edgy.

>pol's reading preference

>reading preference

>(((Levitt)))
>(((Dubner)))
Pass

Tolkien is the objective superior author because he actually worked his ass off to create that universe, unlike the fat diabetic pork. Why it might appeal to Sup Forums more is also the strong vibes of christian/european folklore in his works

I always thought there was a bit too much crying going on in LotR. The men are sentimental as shit.

Jesus fucking Christ make it stop

This old guy at my last job who used to be a B52 pilot put this book on my desk one day.
He said, "You should read this. It'll help you understand some of the people here." I think he was referring to the blacks in the office.

Sentimental =/= weak

I'd like to offer you a chance to become Australian. Just get a ticket here and tell customs and immigration officers that you are a prominent shitposter on Sup Forums. You might need screenshots to satisfy them as to your bantz, but that shouldn't be a problem.

this
youtube.com/watch?v=PbLKjO2ImGo

what did you work in?

>Why is J.R.R Tolken's Lord of the rings book series so popular on this board?
It's popular everywhere in the Anglophone world, stupid. This board is full of USA/UK/AUS/LEAF, and almost every single one has at least seen the movies if not read part of all of the series. It's practically a rite of passage for white Americans to read the Hobbit

contractor for the Navy. worked next to government employees

they openly state that black abortions reduce crime

he btfo's the niggers, jews, spics, and people who are evil

Martin's books are trash, Tolkien is good for when you're young.

Neither are literature for serious adult.

>Why is J.R.R Tolken's Lord of the rings book series so popular on this board?
It is a book written by an African who emigrated to Europe. What is not to love.

>pol's reading

Seconded

My list:
>An Essay on the Principle of Population
>The Bell Curve
>The Selfish Gene
>Genes, Peoples, and Languages
>The Origin of Language
>The Great Tragedy of Power Politics
>Culture of Critique Trilogy

>>The Great Tragedy of Power Politics
>The Tragedy of Great Power Politics
fixes. not sure how I fucked that up

Tom Bombadildo

i've literally done that there thing

>mmmmyaah I killed all my likable characters, I'm soooo edgy an realistic
>cunt cock shit fuck HAHAHAHA
>mmmm medieval menus
>self insert fat guy is the only character with a hero's journey
Every time someone compares Martin to Tolkien I want to stab them.

Richard Dawkins is a fool.

>It's way too dry.

Back to reading harry potter it is, pronto.

Reading prefErence will always be a text with no spelling mistakes
>Read moar

Got a question for you all. I have to hand in a story for my teacher in two weeks. Has there ever been a story involving an ethno state and a Post-Apocalyptic setting? I’m thinking about writing a Western where instead of the end goal being a Ranch for the protagonist, it’s a safe European state.

The Selfish Gene is PACKED FULL of gigantic redpills. Dawkins also invented the concept of the meme, and gave the name to the concept of the extended phenotype. Deal with it.

I reiterate, The Selfish Gene is so full of redpills I think every single Sup Forumsster should read it

>they openly state that black abortions reduce crime

Love it!

Not to forget, dude copied everything from history and just added a little twist to it.

LotR was pretty huge cornerstone for fiction, publishing and literature of the 1900s, then for film making in the 2000s. Probably games and some other shit too.

cocks

I like Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings but he apparently liked Jews and hated the Nazis.

>25 July 1938
>20 Northmoor Road, Oxford

>Dear Sirs,

>Thank you for your letter. I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject — which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

>Your enquiry is doubtless made in order to comply with the laws of your own country, but that this should be held to apply to the subjects of another state would be improper, even if it had (as it has not) any bearing whatsoever on the merits of my work or its sustainability for publication, of which you appear to have satisfied yourselves without reference to my Abstammung.

>I trust you will find this reply satisfactory, and

>remain yours faithfully,

>J. R. R. Tolkien

Females in Martin's world are not how they are In the show, also people love Tolkien because he created a true work of art, his world building was so extensive that the entire genre is built upon it. He created an entire working language not like the half made "languages" in sci-fi and fantasy and the works are influenced by European myth.

I'm sure Tolkien saw his fair share of this,
>young isolated lads from the 1800's watch as their homeland forests are churned into the industrial war machine. watch as europeans fight and kill each other innthe millions at their masters behest. each one watching the course of history changing and knowing that the purity of love and nature from their childhood is gone forever. crying in sorrow for a world destroyed is not weakness.

The OST is one of the most beautifully, intrincate and delightful you will ever listen to.
There was true love there.
youtube.com/watch?v=e7BkmF8CJpQ

This is some absolute shit tier bait, even for Sup Forums.

I'm just happy they made the movies before this whole PC era took completely over. Last thing I want to see is niggers playing important white roles.

wtf? I was looking at the box set today..

Barnes and Noble wanted 50 bucks for that shit though

GOT is liberal garbage.

literally every liberal went from Harry Cooter to GOT

>uses the word Aryan correctly
Based

>but he apparently liked Jews
"every philosemite an antisemite" - kike proverb. The fact that he recognized their existence as a people is dangerous to Jews.

I enjoyed the hobbit. Fellowship is trash and everyone knows it.
Half the book and they only just hit the prancing pony.

Sanderson is better.

>>fought Germans in WW1
>>deeply Catholic

you're surprised he didn't like the Nazis?

When I still played in the orchestra, we were commissioned for a live play of all 3 LoTR movies, (the films are projected on a screen above the orchestra pit and we played all the music) we had no Scandinavian violin so as first viola I played the Rohan solo's it was the most moving experience of my life. It brought tears to my eyes to be part of it.

>I enjoyed the hobbit
>Fellowship is trash
>check flag
You miss this fucker, don't you?

one thing I find really funny, in all of the Song of Ice and Fire books, there's only one sex scene that doesn't involve either rape, incest, or prostitution, and it's written so bizarrely that it's possible to read through the whole thing and not realize it's actually a sex scene until the last sentence

GRRM is fucked

I was more concerned about his views on the Nazis but I guess I shouldn't be so surprised by that. My thing is when I read the books and watch the movies their full of red pills. You'd think he'd view the Germans in a different light and not be so kind to the Jews. But as user said he was Catholic and did fight against them previously. Just a product of the time I guess.

why would he like the nazis when the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy is an extended metaphor for industrialization and anti-traditionalism being bad?

Feelings mutual bro/sis/Apache

his main problem with the Nazis was their industrialization. the destruction of ancient ancestral forests.

There are strong females in Lord of the Rings and altough George R.R Martin is good writer hes nothing like Tolkien.

>the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy is an extended metaphor for industrialization and anti-traditionalism being bad?
Then way wouldn't he like them? I mean outside of industrialization due to the war the Nazi were pretty traditionalist. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting or misunderstanding something.

>I mean outside of industrialization due to the war the Nazi were pretty traditionalist
no they weren't. The nazis were heavily focused on rejecting German traditions in favour of memes like positive Christianity and Aryanism, not to mention their oppression of Catholicism and rejection of the monarchy and monarchist politics

Tolkien was several things - Catholic, writer, and professor /philologist. He considered himself English, and so had a western European outlook on things.

LOTR is an attempt at creating a new ancient epic, and subtly Catholic, despite superficial dismissals like "there's no churches or popes in LOTR".

His wikipedia page actually seems reasonable when attempting to illustrate his views.

sanderson is sitting on Tolkien's shoulders. Thats like saying I love einstein's work but Newton is too much for me

We should switch to writing sindarin with tengwar script on Sup Forums. youtube.com/watch?v=vuSP7UyMpYg

tolkiens is famous because of his evil vs good narrative
prevalent in pol/ since they're trash pseudo intellectuals who think they're the shit
non the less his works are entertaining and well written

g r r martin isn't because his narrative is realistic morally speaking
altho his writing style is trash, pic related

>shitting
kek 5/5