How is it that it's been a decade and still nothing has come out as good as this?

How is it that it's been a decade and still nothing has come out as good as this?

N-no but you're just a normie who hasn't watched (insert obscure hipster mecha anime from the 90s)11!!

anime sucks now

hipsters ruined this board

It would be extremely hard, if not impossible, to top it. I don't see it happening in the next 3-5 years.

Kill la Kill was better.

I still don't understand what's the deal with this guy. Why does he not appear at all in the series?

Gurren Lagann is on the same level as Naruto.

As a fan of obscure /m/shit, they don't come close.

TTGL is fucking magical.

Would've been cool if that were Lordgenome before he failed instead of future Simon, but the opening is still cool as fuck

Still favorite anime of all time. It just has such a charm that's unmatched by anything I've seen so far, I felt a similar charm with Little Witch Academia though, but nothing comparable to this

Also Nia is forever my wife

Get back to digging, hobo.

shin mazinger was better

>born a hobo
>will die a hobo
But everything in between was the greatest ride

That's good, because I expect the Internet to be dead in 6 years

it was a 6/10

>I expect the Internet to be dead in 6 years

Do you have brain damage?

No.

A getter robo ripoff except the fights are shit, the characters are one dimensional and the plot sucks

>no ending
You're still right.

It's a better Getter Robo anime than any of the actual Getter Robo anime.

It's better than any iteration of Getter Robo though.

Yes it was. Compared to Shin, the story was overly simplistic and predictable. Imagawa is a far superior director compared to Imaishi who just didn't get the recognition he deserves.

Kotetsu Jeeg is years above this normie mecha trash

It's not better than Armageddon. on fights and music alone, x1000 times Armageddon over ttgl.

>normie
Fuck off, /r9k/.

>hipsters ruined this board
What are you even talking about? Elitism on Sup Forums is nothing new you retard.
If Sup Forums didn't have it, this board would be as awful as Sup Forums.

I was talking shout thr superior manga.

Posting the definitive best girl.

I watched every fucking thing /m/ has recommended me. I WANTED other mecha to be better. Don't get me wrong, some of the Gundams were great as well. Getter Robo is cool as shit. But Gurren Lagann is just in a league of its own. Even now, I still can't find anything that will fill the hole it made in me

Armageddon would be better if it were just the first three and last three episodes, but having 60% of the show be pointless filler without the most entertaining character kills it. Blame the sponsors for pissing Imagawa off.

>barely any lewds of her

nips have bad taste

TTGL is a league of its own. Its own shit. I mean, a terrible plot that makes code geass look like a masterpiece, mechs fights that are bare bones and simplistic, one dimensional monkeys as characters. Upon closer inspection, there's nothing outstanding about ttgl. Its bottom barrel gravion shit.

Watching TTGL Thursdays with old Sup Forums is one of my better memories here.

Armageddon was great. Nothing in it was as memorable or fun as ttgl though. I mean, this could just be a neverending disagreement since it's subjective anyways. I'm not gonna be an asshole and just call you a contrarian but I fail to see anything in Getter Robo that was all that special. ttgl was still way better to me in every way. I wouldn't mind a new Getter Robo adaptation though (preferrably Madhouse)

The filler episodes are still better, you know why? Because the battles are actually good.

TTGL is a legit 5/10. Even Naruto does a better job at filling whatever hole you have.

Literally who?
The side characters of this show were so shit.

I barely remember anything from TTGL, yey I remember everything from Armageddon.

You can throw out all the buzzwords, and sadly it won't make a difference. Keep in mind that I actively look for mecha to surpass TTGL and I want it to be surpassed. But after watching /m/'s shit I still wasn't impressed by anything more than gurren. I hope the day will come

newfags will never know how hype it was. No other year or season even came close.

> Because the battles are actually good
Not particularly (the middle ones, I mean; the finale is 10/10), and even if they were, the butchering of Go's character, retardation of Kei's backstory, and repetitive nonsense of the story in that section would sink it.

>whatever hole you have
Why are you acting like I'm the "TTGL is the best mecha" baitposter when I just agreed Shin Mazinger was better? TTGL hasn't left any hole in me, but it's better than Armageddon.

It's literally being talked about 10 years later

What a time to be alive

I barely remember anything from any of the mecha series I watched either. Like I said, this will just be a neverending disagreement anyways so I'll just agree to disagree. Weird thing is, I watched Armageddon a lot more recently than ttgl, but I remember ttgl a lot more.

> TTGL is a legit 5/10. Even Naruto does a better job
>Naruto is a 6/10 or above
You just lost all rights to criticize anyone's taste.

So was SEED Destiny.
Doesn't make it good.

TTGL is barely mecha. In series like Getter Robo the robot/the use of the robot actually means something to the plot. In TTGL there's nothing special about the robots other than the small one Simon has but even then it could literally be anything else.

That's because you have garbage taste. TTGL has been surpassed several times already, when it comes to writing, characters, music, animation.

Even the latest Gundam shows are more worth it than TTGL. You're telling me that TTGL's budget animation can match something from Thunderbolt and Unicorn? Don't make me laugh.

Seriously, I rewatched a few episodes of TTGL the other day and it's amazing to see how bare bones and empty this show feels. All it has are platitudes and muh feels, but if you're older than 12, these things don't do it anymore.

It's good but people praise the wrong things about it. Kamina was a shit character and most of the fights were not good. So of course all anyone ever talks about is Kamina and the fights.

>TTGL is barely mecha
Yeah so?

>I haven't read getter robo go
It all comes down to getter rays, which is what imaishi took for his spiral energy.

>Kamina was a shit character
No
>and most of the fights were not good
Yes

Just because Kamina is overrated, does not make him a bad character. He's a very enjoyable character who does want the best for Simon and other

>Even the latest Gundam shows are more worth it than TTGL.
Too bad that their writing is shit.

Not him but you have no idea what the you're talking about. A series being simple and concise on the surface does not mean it's shit. As a super robot fan you should know this, but I guess it's no surprise coming from someone who can't distinguish a TV series from OVAs.

You sound like you're an edgy 17 year old, grow the fuck up.

Naruto had more complex messages than TTGL. And the battles aren't brain dead. I don't even like Naruto, but to act as if TTGL is above it is fucking retarded.

G-Reco says hi.

I'm not saying that he's overrated, I'm saying that he's a shit character. "Overrated" is barely even a criticism, I understand that much.

if you couldn't tell already, they didn't know where they were going with the story at that point, and forgot about it later

Yeah keep telling yourself that user

>Naruto is a 6/10 or above
You've still lost all credit.

He is the anti spiral guy

I'm with you on that but then you had to use the N word. Congratulations, you made us lost the argument.

>people still SEETHING over TTGL

I can bring up Gundam tv series animation and they're still better than TTGL's. 00 came out after TTGL and that looked miles better than anything TTGL could hope to achieve.

>as a super robot fan
I'm not. I only read Getter bcsuse it's the pinnacle of super robot mecha as far as the story goes. If you think I give a shit about stupid kiddy stuff like gaogaigar and TTGL, you're sorely mistaken.

I thought Sup Forums agreed that Code Geass was better? It was fucking weird seeing TTGL of all things become the "go-to counter example for butthurt contrarians" back when CG was stupidly huge.

who even are these dudes
the closest guy always reminds me of Bill Murray

Is that you in the pic?

>Even the latest Gundam shows are more worth it than TTGL.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

Correct, Gundam writing is generally shit, but they're still way above TTGL's 5 year old writing, especially in the ultra shitty second half.

Yeah they actually are. Why do you act as if TTGL's writing was good? Objectively speaking, the writing in TTGL was 4/10. It was bad, but perhaps not bad enough for people to notice.

>21 posters

Really makes you think

>I thought Sup Forums agreed that Code Geass was better?
That was never the case, what are you smoking?

IGN staff reacting to the Twilight Princess e3 reveal apparently.

Quality over quantity

I'm only echoing what people here have said. It has both more apeshit fans and asshurt haters than TTGL does though.

No, a show that fails at being a political war drama isn't better written than one that succeed at being coming of age super robot adventure.

00 did look nice, yes, but it's direction was mostly dry save for a few scenes towards the end of S1 which were great. TTGL still beats it though, even outside the animation. It's themes and the way it told it's story were far stronger. You'd have to be a legit autist to not understand TTGL.

I don't even like code grass but it is better than TTGL. At least it tried. TTGL gave us a rehash of the Shin getter robo manga plot with dumb visuals. Even I could come up with something better.

Nakashima is an absolute hack. I mean, if TTGL didn't give you a clue about his terrible writing, kill la kill should.

TTGL only succeeded at being a parody in the first half. The second half was terrible and try hard.

Kill la Kill is quite literally the best written show of the decade.

TTGL's themes and story sucked. The themes contradicted themselves, and the story was a rehash of everything we saw before, except it's done in a sloppy way. TTGL fooled people by showing them colourful visuals, but its story is empty and soulless. I get what they were aiming for, but they failed.

>a parody
Nice to see that I'm talking from a retard from YouTube's comment section.

TTGL is a parody that tried to take itself seriously but ended up being cringe ad in the second half. People who like TTGL are mentally retarded or literal children and should be gassed.

Do you even know what TTGL is about? The only similarities it has with older shows are superficial and design oriented.

The samefagging in this thread is just sad.
I can't even tell if they guy answering to every single post shitting on TTGL is having fun or is genuinely mean spirited.

And the plot taken from ken ishikawa's getter manga. Getter rays, spiral energy, it's the same shit because nakashima is a hack and couldn't think of anything else other than the energy that drives evolution.

>my first attempt to appear smart after watching some ''in depth analysis'' videos of my favourite youtubers!

Spiral power is actually the polar opposite of Getter rays, despite being both green and somehow related to evolution.

When you base your show around evolution, who are you kidding? It's the same exact reveal from Ken Ishikawa's Getter Robo manga's ending.

Aliens try to prevent humanity from evolving and taking over the universe in Getter Robo. In TTGL, anti spirals try to limit the number of humans. Same shit to me.

They both drive humanity's evolution. Nakashima is pretty blatant when it comes to ripping of ken ishikawa.

He's kaminas's father.
He was defeated, and died trying to go back to his home.
Trust me my dad is Viral

No it wasn't and I loved it.

Regarding evolution they're completely different. Spiral power is the expression of one's individuality and personal growth and potential Getter rays are representation of the inevitable and mysterious flow of time and life, that living creatures can't help to abandon themselves in.
They couldn't be more different.

Ken Ishikawa is known for his distinctive art style and character designs, which usually involve lots of sketchy black lines, crazy spinning eyes and insane grins. In addition to Humongous Mecha, many of his manga were about ancient Japan and even in his sci-fi works, themes and philosophies taken from eastern spirituality are often present.
Ken Ishikawa sadly died early in November 2006, at the age of 58, though he's well remembered by many fans and animation studios.

Well, as you can see, Nakashima wrote TTGL just after Getter robo's creator passed away to avoid legal troubles. Just look at ken's designs. TTGL ripped whole sale from his body of works.

Kaiji
Gurren Lagann is good but doesn't even come close

This.

At least pay attention to the show you're watching, Lagannrager.

Guren Lagan was decent but so was SAO and SNK.

That doesn't change the fact that the majority of it was shit. A series isn't good just because it has a few high quality moments amidst a sea of shit.

Is there an anime where a strong character loses his shitty little best friend and then goes on a downward spiral?
Always wondered what it would have been like if Simon got killed instead of Kamina

Their group falls apart because nobody has the same underdog position as Simon.

TTGL was the second greatest shitstorm in all of Sup Forums's history. I really pity all the kids who weren't here

getter robo

What was the first

Was code geass really that much of a hype train? I liked it a lot but i thought the general consensus on Sup Forums was that it's shit