Gonzo 25th anniversary

Even in the face of bankruptcy, even against all odds, even knowing the majority of their recent works flopped. Gonzo lives on.

What's your favorite Gonzo and why is it either Last Exile or Seto no Hanayome?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zOw8LkWUdoI
youtube.com/watch?v=Bg_PuLROyQI
youtube.com/watch?v=v2H4l9RpkwM
youtube.com/watch?v=OD0sU4HsQXc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Kaleido Star

FMP

How did a studio that made saki and sw go bankrupt?

Saki and Vandread, I guess.

I've been meaning to get around to Gankutsuou for years.

>no NHK
Truly nips were afraid.

This one. I watched it after finishing the novel, and it's both an affectionate and daring adaptation of the source.
I would really like to see another classic novel adaptation like this one.

This shit: youtube.com/watch?v=zOw8LkWUdoI
youtube.com/watch?v=Bg_PuLROyQI
I loved it.

Their best underrated masterpiece Basilisk.
Enough said.

OP here, that one's pretty great too

>Vandread
It's been a long time

You can see how they tried to pioneer with CG. And how AWFUL Blue Sub no.6 looks now, but how they improved by Last Exile.

NHK
Chrno Crusade
Afro Samurai
Gankutsuou
Bokurano
Speed Grapher
Desert Punk
Blue Sub no.6

Did some video game shit to, back in PS1(Lunar)

Also did this.
youtube.com/watch?v=v2H4l9RpkwM

Remind me what did he actually say in as his last words in that scene?

Seto no Hanayome's still the funniest comedy anime I've seen (I've watched all the usual shit Sup Forums hypes up in that genre too, nothing else comes close)

Speed Grapher is pretty bad but I have a fondness for it too for some reason.

What was the last show they did?

Akiba's Trip

>What was the last show they did?
Sora ga seiyuu unless they did something recently that I missed

This.

>Vandread
Didn't even know it was Gonzo, hardly ever pay attention to credits.

As for favorite, that's easy.

>no NHK
My lord, you're right!

They really did produce many unique and memorable series with story drive, but was this the fault? That they didn't make moe shit for the average otaku?
>Speed Grapher

Because the pacing was shit. I will forever say that it should have been half the episode count for great story impact rather rich fuck monster of the week. Maybe even OVAs. Speed Grapher's characters and idea were good. It just got sloppy and dragged in the middle.

>What's your favorite Gonzo and why is it either Last Exile or Seto no Hanayome?
Witch Blade is better than both of those

they pandered to the west

when the western anime market crashed in 2008, they tried to switch gears with otaku shows like saki, but it was too little too late

Gankutsou

The Captain and his lover Euris, and the protagonists' Fathers tried to cross the Grand Stream(Pilot+Navigator in each Airship).

Euris and the two Fathers died. The guild Queen was there and smiled watching them die.

After killing the Queen and getting his revenge he said 'Euris' and the Radio Officer heard him as they fired on the ship.

His true last words were attached as the ship went down.

Pretty good show. Had it's moments.

Did that promo image completely forget the best Gonzo show?
youtube.com/watch?v=OD0sU4HsQXc

Also, this is actually the best Gonzo.

Wait, Gonzo is ded?

No, they're still alive

They keep ending up being on the verge of death though, which makes it amazing as to how they've made it to 25 years

Great, I thought for a second that Sunrise is no more too and there won't be Patlabor sequel ever.

>Sunrise
>dying
>ever
What?

I just want Patlabor.

Was that reboot animated short supposed to tease something new in the future or was it just a one-off?

I mean sure, I can try to deny reality and say that this was a teaser.
The problem is I believe it less myself with each passing month.

This series was a 10/10 for me. That scene in particular was very powerful in a great rush of a climax for the series end. I have avoided Senpai because I've been afraid that it would squash LE's original final moments.

I've been waiting nearly ten years to marathon the series all over again.

>I have avoided Senpai
My fucking sides

But yeah, I watched like 4 episodes of Silver Wing and wasn't feeling it

Didn't Gonzo run out of money multiple times already? How is it still alive?

>I'm senpai famfam and am here to have sum senpai senpai

They're doing an anime in July

If only they would've animated Travellers from the Hourglass

Is this some Persona style shit?

>original had some great moments and charm, and had a fairly satisfying conclusion
>gets a sequel

Defiantly up there. Thankfully the CG isn't as bad as Blue Sub no.9 so it's watchable today.

The DTB OVA was great though, it had plenty of Yin and spawned some of the vanillaest doujins ever.

I deeply apologize for that horrible autocorrect. But was this the case for anyone else? I think I would have preferred if none of the original cast was present, only a memory/referred back to, or something similar.
And I just stopped playing this mobage recently. I thought it was kind of a shame that the designs and music were limited to a game.
Yeah, same artist. From what I remember, MC is fighting to save people trapped by dream eaters. I think I stopped playing simply due to time restraints.

>an anime that made fun of otaku
>thinking showing that to an anime convention is a good idea

My bad. Not the same artist, just very similar feel to them.

If a studio tries hard enough, they will never die. People on Sup Forums saying that a studio would die because of a 'flop' or 'are in the red' are fucking morons.

Manglobe is just an outlier. Even Gainax still isn't dead despite being sued and separated into pieces.

I wish they could keep themselves afloat

Companies run on money and people need to be fed. Even if your CEO is fucking rich a studio that always puts out stuff that sells like shit is gonna get bankrupted one day.

As long as you are willing to fund the whole operation because the BDs sure as hell won't sell, Gonzo can do it.

Gonzo has kind of filled a niche as a dirt cheap studio. It has developed a decent identity of a quirky studio that works best mocking the very object it is trying to promote.

Obviously retarded dragon girls, but also Inu to Hasume, and even this season with Akiba's Trip have all been a lot of fun.

When they try to play conventionally you get things like Blade and Soul that they just aren't any good at.

Who's watched Gonzo's very first production?

Sore ga seiyuu save gonzo with idol money.

Pretty sure I did, but I certainly don't remember it.

I have it on my backlog, is it good?

It's just okay

I remember Gonzo for doing this.

I liked Samurai 7.

what a sad picture
there's only one or two good anime

I remember GONZO making shows with extremely high production values, top tier seiyuus, budget, music, anything, but with shitty writing.
Looks like GONZO was proto-Kyoani of those days.

Leaving aside their old manga adaptations (like Rosario), I love them.

Sore ga Seiyuu and Akiba's Trip, to name their newest, have been two of the most fun shows I've seen lately.

Now they make enjoyable shows but everything else is shit. What a time to be alive.

I watched it in my TV with dub

Ok, still on queue

Their show were entertaining. Vandread is very fun to watch.

That and 21. Was it just me or was there supposed to be an air of something more between Ayane and Nazo?

Why doesn't Maeda direct more stuff?
This was a visual masterpiece despite the awful Gonzo production values.