Was Kill la Kill really badly animated?

Was Kill la Kill really badly animated?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a044LBiRPiM
talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=14002
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes, like every trigger show

>MUH ON MODEL

>I watch cartoons, but I hate it when they're actually cartoony.
KLK was not well-animated on the whole.

Even if you're autistic about limited animation, LWA and Kiznaiver have excellent fluid animation.

and what about kiznaiver ?

>It's this bait again
There's your (you)

The animation "quality" itself is used as a trope, which I find to be pretty damn inventive. Reminds me a lot of PSG, with the visuals and voice acting doing better job of representing the world and characters than actual writing and story

No.

Honestly, only a handful of episodes in the second cour don't feel well animated, in the sense that they don't manage to use the budget animation to their advantage and just feel cheap.

What about it, it's 99.8% people standing or sitting around talking

The animation was overall Samurai Jack level .

no. unless youre a huge faggot with shit tastes Kill La Kill looks pretty great.

Not really Satan, it has extremely consistent and dynamic character animation, which is quite an accomplishment considering the character designs. Good animation isn't just flashy fights.

Yes.

They blew all the money fast and had to cut budget on animation by the last few episodes.
Animating fights is not cheap, you know.

Evil Ryuko vs Satsuki fight was in episode 21 and looked good. For whatever reason it was 13 and 20 that had horrible fights.

>inbetweens used to prove bad animation
Every time

For the last fucking time, freeze-frames of fast action do not count as QUALITY.

It was inconsistent: very good at times, overused stills at others. Really the budget just wasn't what it could have been.

There really weren't many stills. They would rather have choppy animation, frenetic editing or tweening than nothing moving.

Reminder that everything bad about KlK was ironic and totally intentional.

I judge animation by how well the boobs jiggle and there were only a couple scenes that impressed me.

I can't think of anything bad about it.

Most of the bad animation was used for comedic purposes, like the school death course episode, or Mako and Nui in general. Which was them saving time and budget, but making it work for the show. Similar to Evangelion's "we ran out of budget" scenes that still manage to be used in thematically appropriate ways.

There are however also purely shit moments like the CG of Satsuki walking up the building.

Not, but I wouldn't call it a well-animated show either. Too many instances of Imaishi's shitty ironic "bad animation" and awful CG in the fight scenes. If the show had more expressive Kanada-style animation like in OP's picture then it would be a pretty well-animated show.

>There are however also purely shit moments like the CG of Satsuki walking up the building.
That's still unexplainable, since it was handled by Khara that should know what they're doing with that shit, and the CG looked fine in other parts of the series.

I'm yet to find anime with better opening sequence, better styling, better music selection and better style overall.

every time I watch KlaK, I get energized as fuck. I feel like i can take on anyone.

absolutely amazing anime. period.

Sanzigen did the CG for Kill la Kill.

They were shitloads of stills in the second half.

We had this conversation the other day. That's just the camera slowly going through a landscape during a monologue, not a still.

It's a pan over a virtually still frame. Don't be dense.

youtube.com/watch?v=a044LBiRPiM

No

should someone be allowed to call themselves a patrician anime watcher if they don't understand why satsuki walking up the building was a great use of expressionist animation?

>inventive
Has this faggot never heard of Kanada style animation and Dezaki's directing? What Kill la Kill offers is nothing inventive and Imaishi has done much better in Gurren Lagann without the cheap motion tweening look.

Have you actually seen the scene? Because by the way you talk it seems like you don't.
While that scenario is on the screen, Satsuki is recalling her past philosophy. Showing her talking or any of the other characters during that speech would ruin the effect when the object of the conversation moves on to Ryuko, and then on the Devas, and the camera moves with it.

>badly animated
I bet you think pic related is badly animated too.

TTGL didn't have even remotely as much Dezaki in it as KLK.
And then you contradict yourself in the same sentence. TTGL didn't have any of the tweening animation used in PSG, KLK and Luluco, that is a completely legitimate animation technique able to accomplish things that traditional animation can't, if used properly.

Kiznaiver was basically a slice of life and it had retarded amounts of QUALITY

The novelty of motion tweening wears out very fast and combined with Imaishi's increasing fondness for flat and bland layouts during those gags don't help with the visual appeal at all. It's not inventive, it simply looks like shit compared to animating the gags properly.

Good keys, but awful sense of motion. Well, that applies a lot to Japanese animation really.

Lazy inbetweens makes for bad animation. In a perfectly animated show, every single frame would look like an accurate depiction of the subject matter. That would be really hard to do, so i dont expect that level of perfection. However, KLK could have been animated much better. They probably had budget constraints, and the good direction makes up for the poor animation in most places. I

Great direction, bad animation.

And it's a still. Not saying it isn't executed well.

>Sup Forums shits on KLK's animation but defends Konosuba 2's to the death

This fucking board I swear

The gags wouldn't even work if animated normally.
Take for example the moment in the very first scene when the student gets caught by Gamagori and while everything else is immobile, only is arm moves, animated in tweening, to throw a smoke bomb.
The scene wouldn't be half as effective if animated properly. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Look at you, you can post smear frames, congratulations for taking SINGLE frames out of a show

> In a perfectly animated show, every single frame would look like an accurate depiction of the subject matter
Educate yourself before spouting nonsense, retard.

>In a perfectly animated show, every single frame would look like an accurate depiction of the subject matter

It would look a lot less out of place and be more expressive if it was animated normally, it just takes more skill to do it. The best moments of animated comedy require good character animation, the timeless works of Rod Scribner on Looney Tunes are testament to that. I'm not even advocating for smooth animation, just animation with expressive drawings and effective motion. Tweening delivers none of that.

This is not how anime budgets work.

>Go watch another show.
>Pay attention to how much time is spent on still shots where mouths are the only things that are animated.
>Come back to KLK and do a comparison.
KLK's pretty damn good in this regard. Sorry.

Should've just stopped at really bad.

>The best moments of animated comedy require good character animation

this nigga

looks good to me user idk what your problem is

...animation != art style.
Animation is the fluidity of things in motion. Taking freeze frames of a show will never speak anything of the animation.

Inferno Cop is rubbish.

>be more expressive if it was animated normall
No. It would have a completely different meaning and effect. I can accept you finding it ugly, but tweening animation is a tool that simply offers something that traditional hand drawn doesn't. It's all about how it gets used.

No. Overall it's actually very competently animated.

This isn't even "bad" though, it's intentionally done.

Unfortunately, KLK didn't use it well often. Also, KLK's character designs didn't lend itself well to motion tweening, something like PSG or Sex & Violence fit much better with that approach to animation.

There were times when it was used excessively or improperly, but those were the minority.
Its use with more conventional anime designs allowed effects impossible in PSG. Like the combination of normal animation and tweening as used for example when Ryuko jumps into water in Osaka, or the mere existence of characters like Nui and Mako whose way of animation only make sense in a context that isn't that of a stylized western cartoon.

Here we see an actual, high-functioning retard in action, improving the state of the board.

>Nui and Mako
The use of motion tweeing on those two are the biggest offenders. Whatever Imaishi achieved with tweening on those characters would've been inferior to any attempt at proper animation. Mako's speeches would've been so much more expressive if she was animated in Kanada-style than having her look like a robotic cardboard cutout.

>People defending Reddit La Reddit
I want Nu-Sup Forums to leave

Yes.

Little Witch Academia is the only good show Trigger has ever made.

Although I see people mentioning Kiznaiver and I haven't actually seen that one. Might have to pick it up sometime.

It is you fucken retard.

>mentions reddit
>uses "Nu"

I want you to leave.

I want Nui Sup Forums to leave.

To sum up my previous post: characters in PSG are expected to move in tweening, characters in KLK aren't. That's the extremely important difference about its use in the 2 shows.
>Mako's speeches would've been so much more expressive if she was animated in Kanada-style than having her look like a robotic cardboard cutout.
Mako's sketches are all about the instantaneous transformations she goes through to mimic the dialogue. Animation would only serve to distract from what is conveyed (often a pun that requires some processing) and kill the comedic timing.

LWA is hardly good but that has little to do with its animation sadly.

Yes, very badly.

I want the budget meme to die.

>He thinks "nu" Isn't an actual prefix.

Thank you for the wonderful counterpoints.

I said nothing about art style. If the images in OP's pic were what Ryuko was supposed to look like, then there would be no issue. But thats not how she is supposed look, resulting in distorted motion when animated.

Animation is a bunch of frames put together in succession. Fluid motion is important, yes. So hig frame speeds, and frames that dont skip over segments of motion are necessary, i agree. But if the in between frames look awful, the movement wont be faithful to what it should look like.

>Mako's sketches are all about the instantaneous transformations she goes through to mimic the dialogue.

No, that's only part of it and even that aspect would've been enhanced with expressive character animation. Mako moving like a 2D cardboard cutout is not visually creative, it's lazy.

I already explained why in that situation distracting the viewer with unnecessary animation is a bad idea.

My two cents, which I know I'm going to be disagreed with wholly.

I find that animation that uses a weird style (PSG in particular comes to mind) seems to take more effort, in my eyes. Not to draw per se, but more of to draw something chaotic with a bunch of squiggles and shit but still make it coherent enough to let the viewer still know whats going on... That seems to take more creativity than making all the characters "realistic" with super fluid movements and such. Sure, the fluid movements make it look pretty, but it lacks substance as it's still confined to a "realistic" area, and bodies can't distort, stretch, or whatever else and just do whatever.

I think it is more fun to watch. But that's just me, and I know tons of people disagree. I know what I'm trying to say, but I can't think of how to say it. Hopefully someone understands the point I'm trying to make.

>unnecessary animation
>in an animation

ah, the classic "over animated" meme

Mako is acting like a Looney Toons character in those instances, and throughout the whole show for that matter. It makes sense that her animation style is goofy, and non-nonsensical.

Kiznaiver was good, but LWA has been hit or miss. 1/4th of the episodes have been either partially or completely outsourced and it's very noticeable.

Except Looney Toons was well animated (mostly)

They didnt do the non-animated snap "movements" that Mako does.

I meant nonsensical, not non-nonsensical. I'm a dope of the highest caliber.

Sup Forums isn't one person you mongoloid. I liked KLK and it's animation.

It's not, autismo.

I agree, I'm talking more about the style of her character, rather than the animation quality of her character. Hell, 99% of cartoons don't get the kind of love the old Looney Toons cartoons got by a long shot.

And I disagree with your explanation. The delivery of the gag would have been more effective if Mako was properly animated. The moving cutout style severely hampers expression and doesn't work with Kill la Kill's designs.

Too bad Mako is animated nothing like a Looney Tunes character. Her scenes are pretty much wasted potential for great comedic acting.

It's not a meme.
If you really believe that just because we are talking about animated shows, everything would work better if animated, you lack fundamental understanding of the medium.

I get it, you like cartoony animation.

The animation is fluid, but the choreography is complete shit. There's not a single interesting battle in the entire show.

Are you a Professional Animator?

Lazy/bad animation isn't funny when it's intentional, adult swim shows prove this.

I find most adult swim shows completely forgettable and unfunny, so it doesn't really prove anything.

THIS
Except I don't agree the animation isn't fluid at all, fluid would be asukas battle in EoE, nothing in KLK is fluid.
Not one person has even posted a gif or webm of a well animated scene. Why? Because they just can't, it doesn't exist.

This is astounding. If you want still images, read a manga.

No, but do you need to be a professional athlete to know when an athlete fucks up?

Exactly you faggot, they try to do the inferno cop bad animation le funny and it doesn't work. Inferno cop is shit too btw.

Adult swim had/has plenty of great shows but none of them have bad adobe flash-tier animation like kill la kill does.

Konosubafags have no logical reasoning, they will defend everything.

Just ignore and report if necessary

Every Ryuko/Satsuki battle has interesting choreography.
Have you even watched the show? Any Yoshinari cut would do.

that looks like a stylistic choice. sure, it was probably done to cut corners and avoid drawing quality frames

>he thinks there's no such thing as overanimation

talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=14002

>One of the animation professors I had back >in college was ex-Disney, he was a 2D >animator who worked on a lot of their films >for years and years. He started there in the >early '80s when Bluth still worked at Disney, >and he hated Bluth. He distinctly remembers >Don Bluth having a group of friends/followers >in a sort of clique in the animation >department, who were very haughty and >unpleasant to everybody else. The group >also liked to 'outdo' each other with their >animation, trying to trump each other with >intricacy and stuff. The whole group left with >Bluth when he did.

>My prof still wanted to give him a chance and >went to see Secret Of NIMH in theaters when >it came out, but he walked out after about ten >minutes. His reason: "The damn crow >wouldn't stop moving". He always stressed >how there was a time and place for certain >animation and how animators needed to >know when to not animate, and Bluth's >over-animation of everything drove him crazy.

>And I disagree with your explanation. The delivery of the gag would have been more effective if Mako was properly animated.
The gag is the association of what is being said with her pantomime. Animation wouldn't enhance it in the slightest, just distract, and with the pacing of the sketches extremely fast that's unacceptable.
>The moving cutout style severely hampers expression and doesn't work with Kill la Kill's designs.
I already explained why it has a specific effect with KLK's designs that doesn't have in PSG.

Source: random ass message board forum

into the trash it goes